Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 30, 2014, 08:16:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFi

Thanks RD for the updates!

Really like Whitfield and Johnson. Think that both could easily pick up an offer from the Hogs.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GEO-HOG

That's a bummer that Sebastian won't be here til late

ARtillahog

Quote from: GEO-HOG on June 30, 2014, 10:19:28 am
That's a bummer that Sebastian won't be here til late

I wonder what the deal is...

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

ARtillahog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 10:39:18 am
gotta get eligible.

STILL?!?!  You've got to be kidding!

Polecat

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 10:39:18 am
gotta get eligible.

Does he have a redshirt year remaining?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Wildhog

Quote from: Polecat on June 30, 2014, 01:31:44 pm
Does he have a redshirt year remaining?

Nope.  Two to play two.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 02:07:21 pm
Nope.  Two to play two.

Dude may need to enroll at South Idaho Community College to get the needed credits, that, or he should have signed with Moo St.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2014, 02:12:05 pm
Dude may need to enroll at South Idaho Community College to get the needed credits, that, or he should have signed with Moo St.

This could be construed as another one of my "troll" posts, but...

If Tretola doesn't make it, to go along with Pruitt, that will be a huge blunder by this staff.  That's TOTALLY wasting two scholarships.  Just throwing them out the window.  And then we go and award Hall/Colquitt with a couple of schollies when we already had them walking on. It's just...not good.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggy

Couldnt find anything about the elite camp in July.  Anyone have any info on it?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 02:16:06 pm

If Tretola doesn't make it, to go along with Pruitt, that will be a huge blunder by this staff.  That's TOTALLY wasting two scholarships.  Just throwing them out the window.  And then we go and award Hall/Colquitt with a couple of schollies when we already had them walking on. It's just...not good.

Pruitt was a known commodity for a long time, we tried, but didn't win. As far as Tretola, yeah, they thought semester, then summer, now it looks like last term at best.

Seebs

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 02:16:06 pm

A blunder that may have been taken care of with the staffing changes last year, including recruiting coordinator.  Pruitt was not a blunder in my assessment. That is a future NFL caliber player that the staff has fostered a relationship with that will redshirt in JUCO and have three to play when he graduates early. That is a plan. Can he fulfill it? Time will tell.

Tretola was 'supposed' to be here for the Spring - then in first summer, now for the fall. I would love to see the path he was on compared to the path he has taken for eligibility. You can lead a horse to water ...

This staff you like to question so often also landed a starting guard for this upcoming season (UNLV transfer) and a Linebacker that may see significant time.  In the wings on the offensive line we have Reeve Koehler and I am looking forward to seeing what Ragnow and especially Brian Wallace can do the first year. 

That voice you hear that you hear saying ' this may be trolling' should always help you realize that the post that comes after this thought is usually a negative, hand-wringing, finger-pointing essay on your lack of understanding on the merits of recruiting.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wildhog

Guess I'm the only one that doesn't like throwing scholarships in the garbage.  Not sure how it can possibly be construed as anything but a mistake.  I would imagine the coaches would even tell you that.   
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 02:44:28 pm
Guess I'm the only one that doesn't like throwing scholarships in the garbage.  Not sure how it can possibly be construed as anything but a mistake.  I would imagine the coaches would even tell you that.   

is recruiting an exact science?  Who would the scholarships go to otherwise?  I don't see any players we turned away for either of these kids and furthermore, those two scholarships aren't thrown in the garbage...they can still be used for kids like Hall and Colquitt
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Wildhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on June 30, 2014, 02:56:11 pm
is recruiting an exact science?  Who would the scholarships go to otherwise?  I don't see any players we turned away for either of these kids and furthermore, those two scholarships aren't thrown in the garbage...they can still be used for kids like Hall and Colquitt

Last I checked, we play in the SEC-W.  You've got to have contingency plans for grade risks. 

Look, whatever, I'll bow out of this thread, and I won't even criticize the staff for a while.  I'm f****** sick of dealing with people that can't even see the issues that are right in front of them.  It's pointless.  We're going to go two years without a conference win, and you people are still going to be droning on with your "ALL IS WELL" BS. 

You all are sick of me, and I'm sick of you all.

Let me know when you guys decide it's kosher to criticize the staff.  I'm sure you guys will have all kinds of MOTHO-esque names to call them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2014, 03:06:29 pm
Last I checked, we play in the SEC-W.  You've got to have contingency plans for grade risks. 

Look, whatever, I'll bow out of this thread, and I won't even criticize the staff for a while.  I'm f****** sick of dealing with people that can't even see the issues that are right in front of them.  It's pointless.  We're going to go two years without a conference win, and you people are still going to be droning on with your "ALL IS WELL" BS. 

Let me know when you guys decide it's kosher to criticize the staff.  I'm sure you guys will have all kinds of MOTHO-esque names to call them.

As in which one? The UNLV transfer is the contingency plan, hopefully only for Pruitt. Maybe you are the only one with issues, ever think of that. Criticism is fine, but a constant litany of it is old. I'll say the screwed up if Tretola doesn't make it, Pruitt was worth the risk and as was stated, it isn't lost in the 85.

Seebs

As I continue to nosh on the troll bait -

Tretola is not lost yet. I am fairly certain you are not the distributor of anything close to pertinent information on the subject. I wil lallow this to play out since there is no other alternative.
Chances of Pruitt eventually coming into the fold are high and developing deeper Texas connections in the process is not garbage.  It is sound strategy.

Your dour assessment of all things with this staff is getting rather stale. I will do my best searching this site and hoping to find information on recruits in lieu of feeling obligated to respond to the ramblings of a malcontent.  Sometimes I simply must see what the troll bait tastes like - as always, it taste of loneliness, desperation and shame. I will place it back onto your plate.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Kevin

not going to panic on tretola, until he does not show up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WBC Hog

Quote from: Kevin on June 30, 2014, 03:44:49 pm
not going to panic on tretola, until he does not show up

HawgTide

Don't confuse your opinion with fact. Nobody - and I mean nobody - knows for sure how the next couple of years are going to play out.

Pickwick Hog

I've got an idea. Why don't we ALL throw a hissy fit over the POSSIBILITY of wasting a scholly rather than giving the staff kudos for their work as a whole? It's the Hogville way.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Deep Shoat

Here is the problem with your take.  Hindsight is 20/20. 

It's easy to pick apart the problems AFTER the fact. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

onebadrubi

I believe we took a high risk well worth it chance on Solomon Thomas, which one is the walk ons received.  I wouldn't say that was a waste.  Pruitt is NFL caliber, and we can't know what info was given to the staff to think he might get eligible.  All that being said, we are light on the one section of this team we have recruited too players in the nation the last two years and already have top talent committed next year. 

Vantage 8 dude

Well like overall recruiting classes and rankings I prefer to wait to see if and what a young man may/may not contribute over time before I arbitrarily assess whether or not the schollie was "thrown in the garbage" or a "mistake". While we may not like it, unfortunately it's a fact of life EVERYWHERE and with every program. 

I would repeat the same invitation I have to others who froth at the mouth when it comes to our recruiting: As you obviously don't approve of some of the actions of the staff why not put your name in for the position of Recruiting Coordinator? I mean with your obvious keen insight and unerring accuracy in terms of assessment of both talent and eligibility I'm sure the staff would see you as a god-send. BTW we fans sure would too!

tophawg19

every team takes a shot at a high profile player who is an at risk and the hope is they pan out . Tretola may be ok , just needing 1 more credit . we don't know . Pruitt was worth the shot , look who else was recruiting him that was also willing to take a shot . Every year some of the recruits don't pan out for whatever reason. that is wht you can take 100 but only count 85 . over 4 years a minimum of 15 can't make it if you take your 25 each year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Also Pruitt very likely becomes a hog so nothing is wasted . he was going to redshirt either way . now he goes to juco , redshirts , then plays 1 year and comes back as a 3 to play 3 .

COCHISE

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 30, 2014, 06:18:10 pm
Also Pruitt very likely becomes a hog so nothing is wasted . he was going to redshirt either way . now he goes to juco , redshirts , then plays 1 year and comes back as a 3 to play 3 .
We hope. But that's what Calvin Barnett was supposed to do also.

tophawg19

if i remember right Calvin didn't qualify to come back

870hogfan

Quote from: COCHISE on June 30, 2014, 06:23:26 pm
We hope. But that's what Calvin Barnett was supposed to do also.

He will come back they took him knowingly he probably go juco. The other day he welcomed one of the recruits on Twitter to Arkansas saying good choice to him when he committed.

Bubba's Bruisers

It's not like we've had much success with JUCO's.  It's a crap shoot with him making it here due to either academics or the staff going another direction.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bell2629

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on June 30, 2014, 02:56:11 pm
is recruiting an exact science?  Who would the scholarships go to otherwise?  I don't see any players we turned away for either of these kids

This. For these schollys to have been "wasted," there needed to be a more productive use for them, and the staff needed to know what that better alternative was at the time they gave the scholarship, not now in hindsight.

Who are the two kids that should have been given the schollys instead of these two? Were we turning down lots of studs that cycle to save a spot? My interpretation is that there were a limited number of recruits with even a vague interest in us.

If you can't point to a definite better use of the scholly, then your complaint is really that the staff had to gamble, and picked the wrong ponies. That's not a totally invalid complaint, but it also isn't a "huge blunder" by the staff, or throwing two scholarships out the window, which sounds like hyperbole to me. If you see your opinion as an obvious fact, I would assume that's why people are rubbed the wrong way.
Praise the Lard!

Lake City Hog

Guys, I have no dog in this fight but in all fairness Pruitt is a 3* recruit so please stop this NFL caliber nonsense.
Far too many in the recruiting forum anoint these kids as "can't miss", 1st year starters and All-SEC before they ever set foot on campus and that is so unfair to the kids. How about we let them 1. make it to campus, 2. actually practice enough for the coaches to decide their worth and 3. maybe play a few games before we write their names in the record books.

MS_HogFan

Wild hog is a good poster. He brings good info to the board. He also brings a different opinion than most. He is not a jerk about it like 09 was.

I don't follow recruiting closely. Everything I know, I read on here. In my case it's good to have both sides.

Again, I got why everyone wanted 09 gone. He was rude and overly negative about everything. Wild hog is neither. 
SOOIE

Seebs

Quote from: lchog on June 30, 2014, 08:23:54 pm
Guys, I have no dog in this fight but in all fairness Pruitt is a 3* recruit so please stop this NFL caliber nonsense.
Far too many in the recruiting forum anoint these kids as "can't miss", 1st year starters and All-SEC before they ever set foot on campus and that is so unfair to the kids. How about we let them 1. make it to campus, 2. actually practice enough for the coaches to decide their worth and 3. maybe play a few games before we write their names in the record books.

I've always said that the day just as important as signing day is the day in August when kids report to practice. THAT is when recruiting ranking should come out.

Three stars or not I look at Pruitt's offer list. That is usually a telltale of his 'Next Level' potential. If that many top programs recognized it, Pittman could cultivate it I believe.

Arkansas
COMMITTED (07/19/2013) Offered 12/13/2013 Sam Pittman, Joel Thomas
Arizona St. Offered   
Baylor Offered
Colorado St. Offered
Florida Offered
Mississippi Offered 
Missouri Offered 
Nebraska Offered
N. Carolina Offered 
Notre Dame Offered
Oklahoma Offered
SMU Offered 
Texas Offered
Texas Tech Offered 
Washington Offered 
Washington St. Offered

Nipsey Mussle

I'd hate to take this thread away from the one billionth argument over our coaching staff, but I really like Whitfield's athleticism from watching him in basketball. He got up and down the court in a hurry and he would make some nice in game dunks. He was arguably Spiro's best basketball player on a team that made it to the state finals. He's super competitive, perhaps to a fault and hopefully he can learn to channel that a bit.

NLRHog92

June 30, 2014, 11:09:30 pm #37 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:46:31 pm by NLRHog92

Woah, man! Tap the brakes a little and chill it out. I promise it's going to be okay. It's just a game. You know the crazy thing about a bad year? There's another right after for a chance to turn it around! Don't let it get to you so much.

lightsout

Tretola is probably worth the risk simply because he is once in two or three generations elite or better.

redeye

Quote from: Seebs on June 30, 2014, 08:51:08 pm
I've always said that the day just as important as signing day is the day in August when kids report to practice. THAT is when recruiting ranking should come out.

This is very true.  I find a little irony in you bringing that up, while others complain about contingency plans, because that day in August is when I think our coaches will thrive.

We've also had some very nice pickups since NSD, including that promising OG from UNLV.

Oklahawg

Not that the Tretola topic isn't beaten to death...but here's more.

Tretola gets an offer and signs on for spring. Then, the fall grades come back and he can't come yet. And...spring grades come back and he can't come until he completes something in summer school. Sounds like the young man struggles with a class and is having to take it several times to get a "C". Bet no one on here has EVER had that happen :)

That is not on the staff. They have no clue about his academic prowess in all subjects, just what the transcript says. He appeared to be on target so they offered. And, nothing that says he won't be here anyway.

Hall was a recruited walk-on to begin with. He was willing to grayshirt when we got to the point of using his scholarship on an immediate impact player, if necessary. He was willing to do that for the Hogs in exchange for leaving a scholie open for Kirkland's cousin or Thomas. The scholarship now goes to him.

That is a "blunder" only if the poster calling it as much saw those two recruits as a "wild goose chase" where we were never an option and blindly recruited others thinking we were an option. Given that Kirkland's cousin had verballed to us on his visit makes that view seem...questionable.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 01, 2014, 01:18:18 am
Not that the Tretola topic isn't beaten to death...but here's more.

Tretola gets an offer and signs on for spring. Then, the fall grades come back and he can't come yet. And...spring grades come back and he can't come until he completes something in summer school. Sounds like the young man struggles with a class and is having to take it several times to get a "C". Bet no one on here has EVER had that happen :)

That is not on the staff. They have no clue about his academic prowess in all subjects, just what the transcript says. He appeared to be on target so they offered. And, nothing that says he won't be here anyway.

Hall was a recruited walk-on to begin with. He was willing to grayshirt when we got to the point of using his scholarship on an immediate impact player, if necessary. He was willing to do that for the Hogs in exchange for leaving a scholie open for Kirkland's cousin or Thomas. The scholarship now goes to him.

That is a "blunder" only if the poster calling it as much saw those two recruits as a "wild goose chase" where we were never an option and blindly recruited others thinking we were an option. Given that Kirkland's cousin had verballed to us on his visit makes that view seem...questionable.

Three attempts to pass a course at a community college? Doesn't make me thrilled about his chances to pass courses here.

Hawg_Thai'd

July 01, 2014, 02:52:35 am #42 Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:06:09 am by Hawg_Thai'd
Sounds like the young man struggles with a class and is having to take it several times to get a "C". Bet no one on here has EVER had that happen :)

The ONLY reason I do not have an Associates is because of College Algebra....after 3 tries, still didn't pass. Yeah, some classes are harder than others to some people.

Will some of the in-state recruits like Will and KJ see this and be impressed with how the staff takes care of the home states kids?

Edit: Not only the top recruits like Will and KJ, but the under the radar guys like Cantrell that will never waiver once the offers start coming in. Also the fact that some of the guys coming to the Hill would make sacrifices like that in order to make the team and the University better speaks volumes. Proud of the whole situation.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

hawgsalot

Quote from: MS_HogFan on June 30, 2014, 08:45:08 pm
Wild hog is a good poster. He brings good info to the board. He also brings a different opinion than most. He is not a jerk about it like 09 was.

I don't follow recruiting closely. Everything I know, I read on here. In my case it's good to have both sides.

Again, I got why everyone wanted 09 gone. He was rude and overly negative about everything. Wild hog is neither.

Wild is ok in the MMBQ, this isn't the MMBQ.  You constantly trash here your going to get trashed or banned.  That's the way it should be, this board should always be different, he needs to deal with that.

nwahogfan1

I think throwing scholarships in the garbage is when you sign a kid that cannot play either because of talent or is a bad person.  Not a kid that has huge potential, is close to qualifying but comes up close. 

Porkahontas

Every school, even Bama, Ohio State, USC, and Texas, "throw scholarships in the garbage" every year going after potential. Saying this staff is the only one that does it is ridiculous beyond measure.

This same staff and their "blunders" are doing a damn good job again recruiting this year. We're literally three or four players away from a class that will compete for an SEC Championship. The staff is proven, it's been proven a coach can win at Arkansas with the right players, it's just about finding the right ones to tie it all together.

If you can't see all that, it may be time to refill your Ritalin prescription...

Tick Hog

Quote from: lightsout on June 30, 2014, 11:33:28 pm
Tretola is probably worth the risk simply because he is once in two or three generations elite or better.
No he's not

ricepig

Bielema: Sebastian Tretola's last class is July 11th and then he'll be here. No concern.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2014, 04:11:29 pm
Bielema: Sebastian Tretola's last class is July 11th and then he'll be here. No concern.

Great news. Thanks rice
SOOIE

HawgTide

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2014, 04:11:29 pm

So just a normal day on Hogville....much ado about nothing