Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could coach B be the savior?

Started by bruisemeister, June 30, 2014, 04:03:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

I have some opinions.  I state that they are my opinions.  Nutt was so bad that he would sometimes win one because the other team mentally just didn't get up for the game.  Neither the team or the coaches.  Nutt had an easier SEC to deal with on average than Petrino or BB so far.  Arkansas will always win against those teams that are not very good in a particular year, no matter the coach.  Go back 10 or 20 years and its the same.  We can usually win against the lessors we face.  We usually break about even on the teams that are about the same as us and we usually lose against the god teams.  Even if you break down the few big wins Nutt had, most came against teams that were injury riddled at the time or had other troubles on game day.  We've had 2 coaches in the past 50 years that you expected could pull one out against a team better than they were, Holtz and Petrino.  Actually they often failed, real often but you had a feeling we had a chance.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Peter Porker on June 30, 2014, 03:43:58 pm
Not counting bowl games Nutt was 29-15 in 44 games and Petrino was 32-16 in 48 games.

11 game regular seasons vs 12 game regular seasons.

I cannot believe the Nuttzi revival we are seeing.

Lack of education and the spread of misinformation will do this...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Peter Porker

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 08:29:02 pm

What wereyou saying about that law....?

Misinformation? What have i posted that's false?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 08:29:02 pm

The Nuttzi meeting is right after this one.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Peter Porker

Notshavin, you said misinformation. Please explain.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 30, 2014, 11:29:37 am
It's unfounded mania.  AU should have had at least three loses last year...

There will be hell to pay for Gus in Tuscaloosa this year.

That's like saying we should have won 3 more games last season. You put your guys in a position to win. Some coaches instill confidence in their players and they execute.

Some don't.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 01, 2014, 08:33:38 pm
That's like saying we should have won 3 more games last season. You put your guys in a position to win. Some coaches instill confidence in their players and they execute.

Some don't.

There is so much truth to that statement. When its nutt cuttin' time at the end of the game, all that extra effort the players gave running drills pays off. All the extra little detail spent by the coaches pays off. It all comes back around. We can say shoulda coulda all day, but that does not change the W/L column.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Peter Porker

Some don't.

Al Boarland...AlBoarland...AlBornd....AlBarn....Awburn............Auburn....

Al Boarland

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 05:16:49 am
Al Boarland...AlBoarland...AlBornd....AlBarn....Awburn............Auburn....

You must disagree with my post. It's ok to disagree. I just don't see how you could say a team should have lost games and we should have won ours. That logic doesn't hold up.

ChitownHawg

Some don't.

Al one of those "some don't" coaches was Saban last year against Auburn. Are you saying he doesn't instill confidence?

The truth is many great coaches train their players hard and instill confidence in themselves to win. Then they lose the game. Usually it is against an unlucky bounce like the last minute TD against MSU. Or the TD run back from the missed field goal.

This thing called "luck" is why they came up with the phrase "This is why we play the game." Sometimes the coach can do all he can do and still lose.

Yes there were three games we could have won last year and there were two they could have lost. They were lucky and we were not.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Al Boarland

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 05:36:49 am
Al one of those "some don't" coaches was Saban last year against Auburn. Are you saying he doesn't instill confidence?

The truth is many great coaches train their players hard and instill confidence in themselves to win. Then they lose the game. Usually it is against an unlucky bounce like the last minute TD against MSU. Or the TD run back from the missed field goal.

This thing called "luck" is why they came up with the phrase "This is why we play the game." Sometimes the coach can do all he can do and still lose.

Yes there were three games we could have won last year and there were two they could have lost. They were lucky and we were not.

If there was such a thing as luck I would agree. The bottom line is you put yourself in a position to win the game. Saban was out coached in that game which isn't that surprising given his record in close games. Fortunately for him that rarely happens because he Almost always has the more talented team and they are well prepared.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Peter Porker on June 30, 2014, 04:07:13 am
I actually think Bielema's personality is more exciting than Malzahn's.
I agree. Coach B is a much more exciting speaker and motivator than Malzahn. And, I too am glad we did not hire Malzahn.

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 05:51:10 am
If there was such a thing as luck I would agree. The bottom line is you put yourself in a position to win the game. Saban was out coached in that game which isn't that surprising given his record in close games. Fortunately for him that rarely happens because he Almost always has the more talented team and they are well prepared.

Outcoached? Please give examples.....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 05:51:10 am

The game was tied, so how was that being out coached? All teams place a guy back by the goal post on long tries. The kid ran it 99 yards and many Bama players whiffed on tackles, so how does that equate to being out coached?

There is a thing called luck just look at the MSU game. There is also a thing called Gus Bus Crew.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Peter Porker

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 05:30:02 am
You must disagree with my post. It's ok to disagree. I just don't see how you could say a team should have lost games and we should have won ours. That logic doesn't hold up.

That's  what fans do. They pull for their coach and wish the best for their team. That's  why you love Gus and post about Awbarn so much.

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 05:52:35 am

The final play of that Iron Bowl Malzahn originally had someone else back there just in case the kick was short. He then opted to put his punt returner back there. Meanwhile, Saban had all big slow guys on the field goal unit. Did he not see the guy Malzahn had deep?

Before that they ran the same play twice on 3rd and 4th down and got stuffed. Now that's on the OC, but ultimately it's on Saban. I just don't get the reverence around here for Saban. Does he run and outstanding program? Absolutely. However, on game day he is little more than average.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 05:52:35 am

All he needs to do is explain how coaching had anything to do with the last pass of the MSU game. What is the old saying about being good or being lucky?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 05:58:49 am
The final play of that Iron Bowl Malzahn originally had someone else back there just in case the kick was short. He then opted to put his punt returner back there. Meanwhile, Saban had all big slow guys on the field goal unit. Did he not see the guy Malzahn had deep?

Before that they ran the same play twice on 3rd and 4th down and got stuffed. Now that's on the OC, but ultimately it's on Saban. I just don't get the reverence around here for Saban. Does he run and outstanding program? Absolutely. However, on game day he is little more than average.

Saban average? Oh well no reason to carry this discussion any further as you just took it to the Twilight Zone.  ;D

Al Boarland

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 05:57:23 am
That's  what fans do. They pull for their coach and wish the best for their team. That's  why you love Gus and post about Awbarn so much.

Yes, I do like Gus. I think the guy is a genius and what he did last season at Auburn was amazing. They won the SEC. If another team won I would be talking about them AND they just happen to be our first game.

CBB has a chance to do the same thing. I don't see it happening, but I support the Hog program. I'm not going to sacrifice being accurate in my opinions to wear Hog glasses. I would rather be objective. That's just me.

Like I said from the beginning. I see 5 wins this season.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 06:00:45 am
Saban average? Oh well no reason to carry this discussion any further as you just took it to the Twilight Zone.  ;D

We can agree to disagree, but feel free to look at his win/loss record in close games. I understand not wanting to see it with the beat down we took the last two seasons. We were outgunned. Like I said, he gets his guys ready to play. His teams are disciplined. But.......if the game is on the line he's not the coach I want on my sideline. Again, he's not in that position often and that makes him one of the best overall coaches in CFB.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 06:03:11 am
Yes, I do like Gus. I think the guy is a genius and what he did last season at Auburn was amazing. They won the SEC. If another team won I would be talking about them AND they just happen to be our first game.

CBB has a chance to do the same thing. I don't see it happening, but I support the Hog program. I'm not going to sacrifice being accurate in my opinions to wear Hog glasses. I would rather be objective. That's just me.

Like I said from the beginning. I see 5 wins this season.

So, you want Gus to lose that first game? Correct?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 06:12:42 am
So, you want Gus to lose that first game? Correct?

This can't be a serious question.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 06:20:33 am
This can't be a serious question.

Dead serious. I can't tell if you're  a bigger Gus fan or Hog fan.

lefty08

You cant understand the reverence for Saban, but u think Gus is a genius?  Ok, guess there is nothing left to tell you on this subject.
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ChitownHawg

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 06:27:39 am
You cant understand the reverence for Saban, but u think Gus is a genius?  Ok, guess there is nothing left to tell you on this subject.

Agreed this subject is a dead end.  ;)

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 06:27:39 am

I'm not the only one who thinks that Gus is one of the most innovative minds in football. All you have to do is turn on your TV. You won't hear the word "genius" being thrown around when it comes to Saban. You hear "tireless worker" and "elite recruiter". Those are both accurate descriptions.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 06:33:26 am
I'm not the only one who thinks that Gus is one of the most innovative minds in football. All you have to do is turn on your TV. You won't hear the word "genius" being thrown around when it comes to Saban. You hear "tireless worker" and "elite recruiter". Those are both accurate descriptions.

Do a search and you will find articles such as this one who call Nick a genius.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/01/11/congratulations-to-alabamas-crimson-tide-now-its-time-to-fire-nick-saban/

Gus is heading toward a great career - Nick has a great career. One has the trophies and the other is trying to obtain the trophies.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 06:46:04 am
Do a search and you will find articles such as this one who call Nick a genius.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/01/11/congratulations-to-alabamas-crimson-tide-now-its-time-to-fire-nick-saban/

Gus is heading toward a great career - Nick has a great career. One has the trophies and the other is trying to obtain the trophies.

I agree with that statement.

lefty08

Also, as a hog fan, not sure why you are so afraid to "wear the hog glasses" but so quick to hitch your wagon to a 2 yr head coach.

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 06:56:43 am
Also, as a hog fan, not sure why you are so afraid to "wear the hog glasses" but so quick to hitch your wagon to a 2 yr head coach.

I'm not afraid. I would rather be right. If I'm wrong the crow is ready. I'll go down with my ship. I have no problems with that.

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 06:59:54 am
I'm not afraid. I would rather be right. If I'm wrong the crow is ready. I'll go down with my ship. I have no problems with that.

If you "arent afraid", and are indeed a Hog fan, wouldnt you lean towards optimism for your favorite team?

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 07:02:35 am
If you "arent afraid", and are indeed a Hog fan, wouldnt you lean towards optimism for your favorite team?

I think we will be improved. That will equate to two more wins, IMO. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic.

Al Boarland

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 06:26:28 am

Hello, Auburn Al, still looking for your answer.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 06:26:28 am
By your same logic when Nutt was at Ole Miss were you a bigger Nutt fan or Arkansas fan?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 06:50:42 am
I agree with that statement.

Well well well we can agree on something. I always believe in giving credit where it is due.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 02, 2014, 07:40:39 am
By your same logic when Nutt was at Ole Miss were you a bigger Nutt fan or Arkansas fan?

Arkansas fan. Always. I pull  for our team and our coaches. When they leave, especially for a rival, they lose my support when it conflicts with my allegiance to my team.

If Bielema goes to the NFL I'll  still pull for him. If he goes to a rival i won't. When Petrino coached us I was hoping we won every game. That's  what fans do.

Peter Porker

Just because I compared Nutt's tenure to Petrino's and showed the win/loss similarities doesn't  make me a fan of Nutt.

Just because I showed that Petrino beat only 3 teams with a winning SEC record doesn't make me a fan of Nutt.

ChitownHawg

Hello Peter Nutt, still waiting for your answer to Mike.  ;D

Peter Porker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 07:52:14 am
Hello Peter Nutt, still waiting for your answer to Mike.  ;D

A little late thar, fella.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 07:50:42 am
Arkansas fan. Always. I pull  for our team and our coaches. When they leave, especially for a rival, they lose my support when it conflicts with my allegiance to my team.

If Bielema goes to the NFL I'll  still pull for him. If he goes to a rival i won't. When Petrino coached us I was hoping we won every game. That's  what fans do.

This thread is evidence that Al and I are not in agreement on several issues, but I do take issue with your attitude toward other Hog fans. Al is pulling for Gus, so what. Currently there is more to cheer for Gus than the Hogs.

But you have a bad habit of going after Hog fans who don't blindly follow the Hogs. Some of us can cheer for the Hogs and cheer for other teams. Even other SEC teams. I am a big time fan of Nick Saban hence my debating Al.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 07:53:51 am
A little late thar, fella.

Yep this glass keyboard on my ipad makes my typing slow, and I am not fast typer to begin with.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 02, 2014, 07:51:59 am
Just because I compared Nutt's tenure to Petrino's and showed the win/loss similarities doesn't  make me a fan of Nutt.

Just because I showed that Petrino beat only 3 teams with a winning SEC record doesn't make me a fan of Nutt.
You are a fan of Nutt.

lefty08

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 07:56:18 am
This thread is evidence that Al and I are not in agreement on several issues, but I do take issue with your attitude toward other Hog fans. Al is pulling for Gus, so what. Currently there is more to cheer for Gus than the Hogs.

But you have a bad habit of going after Hog fans who don't blindly follow the Hogs. Some of us can cheer for the Hogs and cheer for other teams. Even other SEC teams. I am a big time fan of Nick Saban hence my debating Al.

Agreed with the last paragraph, also think it works both ways. The blind supporters get slapped more on here than anyone from my perspective

Peter Porker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 02, 2014, 08:11:34 am
You are were a fan of Nutt when he was here. You don't care about him now that he is gone.

FIFY.

I'd go so far as to say i think about Nutt less often than you do.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on July 02, 2014, 08:13:08 am
Agreed with the last paragraph, also think it works both ways. The blind supporters get slapped more on here than anyone from my perspective

It is funny you say that as I feel the opposite. While I tend to lean more toward blind support I have always felt it was the "naysayers" who got slapped more.

Funny how people can read the same thing and come to different conclusions. We humans are funny sometimes.  ;)

3kgthog

Bielema and Nutt are the exact same coach in pressure situations. Don't expect any BP-esque play calls that catch the opponent with their pants down.

We won't run Nutt's offense, but we'll have similar frustrations and records on the field. If you can't out scheme, you've got to have better talent. That's not the case here. We'll improve in the talent department, but the rest of the SECW will always have more. That leads to some close games and heartbreak since we don't have a coach that takes smart risks. He's a "throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks" kind of coach, not a sound decision coach.

If you need more proof, look at last season and how many times he left us saying, "What the hades was that?!"

hawgsalot

Back to the topic, CBB very well could be the perfect fit or coaching savior, we just don't know yet.

What we do know is he plays fundamental football that builds teams from the lines back.  That is perfect for Arkansas, we have to have a solid base to insure we quit riding this dang roller coaster.  If your good in the trenches you can establish year in and year out success as playmakers come and go.

What we do know is that he's young and not afraid to win championships, no one we've ever had comes close to meeting both of those requirements since joining the SEC.

What we do know is that he's tough minded and molded from walking on and working his way up by hard work and an unrentless desire to be on top and to drag us with him.

What we do know is that he's not going to let Arkansas back down from a fight anywhere, media or on the field.  To this day baffles me that so many fans want CBB to cower down and be quiet when discussing difficult subjects that clearly have to sides and opinions.  We need that kind of coach we were built on not being the biggest and baddest on the block but being tough and nasty that would come right after you.  We are razorbacks and we need a coach the embraces that spirit not a politician.

What we do know is that he can hire great assistants and isn't afraid to cut to the chase and give walking papers to slackers.  This also goes right along with running a clean program recruiting the right types of character and holding them accountable.

He has so many qualities that endure to Arkansas, it's not even funny, now he has to figure out how to get the fancy pancy offense guys back on board and can only do that with wins.  If he does, yes, he could be the football savior that truly takes us to long term success.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawgsalot on July 02, 2014, 08:51:10 am
Back to the topic, CBB very well could be the perfect fit or coaching savior, we just don't know yet.

What we do know is he plays fundamental football that builds teams from the lines back.  That is perfect for Arkansas, we have to have a solid base to insure we quit riding this dang roller coaster.  If your good in the trenches you can establish year in and year out success as playmakers come and go.

What we do know is that he's young and not afraid to win championships, no one we've ever had comes close to meeting both of those requirements since joining the SEC.

What we do know is that he's tough minded and molded from walking on and working his way up by hard work and an unrentless desire to be on top and to drag us with him.

What we do know is that he's not going to let Arkansas back down from a fight anywhere, media or on the field.  To this day baffles me that so many fans want CBB to cower down and be quiet when discussing difficult subjects that clearly have to sides and opinions.  We need that kind of coach we were built on not being the biggest and baddest on the block but being tough and nasty that would come right after you.  We are razorbacks and we need a coach the embraces that spirit not a politician.

What we do know is that he can hire great assistants and isn't afraid to cut to the chase and give walking papers to slackers.  This also goes right along with running a clean program recruiting the right types of character and holding them accountable.

He has so many qualities that endure to Arkansas, it's not even funny, now he has to figure out how to get the fancy pancy offense guys back on board and can only do that with wins.  If he does, yes, he could be the football savior that truly takes us to long term success.

Agreed.  If he can do all that he will be the right coach.