Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could coach B be the savior?

Started by bruisemeister, June 30, 2014, 04:03:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Bill Hog

chitwnhog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on July 05, 2014, 02:10:38 am
Hatfield fizzled?   ???

I think the thought process is that Hatfield had two great seasons at the end of his tenure but he didn't recruit well and was going to go through a huge rebuilding process and would have a few lackluster seasons. Hatfield left when he was at the top and never had to go through the rebuilding process.

Mike Irwin

July 05, 2014, 03:02:13 pm #202 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:55:30 pm by Mike Irwin
After Frank tried unsuccessfully to fire Hatfield following the 87 season, Hatfield told his staff that they were leaving Arkansas.

Hatfield had the Georgia job in the bag in late 87 before Frank convinced his good friend Vince Dooley (Georgia's AD at the time) to pass on Hatfield.

After the 89 season Clemson hired Hatfield.

For two years Hatfield's coaches mailed it in when it came to recruiting. The result was a disaster in Arkansas' first few years of the SEC.

gbaurnett

Quote from: Notshavin on July 03, 2014, 12:51:03 am
Until you acknowledge that Nutt is an enemy of the program, and not just an incompetent coach that "overstayed" his welcome, you are a Nuttzi and you are no Hog fan.

What you "saw" that made you a fan of Houston Nutt, is NOT what was happening behind closed doors. 

Today FOI's, firsthand accounts, e-mails, cell phone records and other FACTS have proven this.  If you deny that, you are not dealing in FACTS, you are dealing in FICTION and you are a Nutt fan, not a Hog fan.  You can't be both.

And I'm not just picking on you, that goes for Zeke, Guvhog and anyone else in denial.

Exactly!

chitwnhog

July 05, 2014, 03:41:01 pm #204 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:55:00 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 03:02:13 pm
After Frank tried unsuccessfully to fire Hatfield following the 87 season, Hatfield told his staff that they were leaving Arkansas.

Hatfield had the Georgia job in the bag in late 87 before Frank convinced his good friend Vince Dooley (Georgia's AD at the time) to pass on Hatfield.

After the 89 season Clemson hired Hatfield.

For two years Hatfield's coaches mailed it in when it came to recruiting. The result was a disaster in Arkansas' first few years of the SEC.

Thank you for the background detail Mike, I didn't know much of that.

Soooo....when are ya gonna write that book? "Razorback Football -The way I saw it."

Mike Irwin

Sorry, wasn't trying to edit your post. I wasn't paying attention and selected your post instead of mine to modify. Was getting rid of the typo in AD.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 03:56:56 pm
Sorry, wasn't trying to edit your post. I wasn't paying attention and selected your post instead of mine to modify. Was getting rid of the typo in AD.

Oh no I edited it...hit send before I finished my thought.

Ok...we both edited it...no worries.

GuvHog

Quote from: Notshavin on July 03, 2014, 12:51:03 am
Until you acknowledge that Nutt is an enemy of the program, and not just an incompetent coach that "overstayed" his welcome, you are a Nuttzi and you are no Hog fan.

What you "saw" that made you a fan of Houston Nutt, is NOT what was happening behind closed doors. 

Today FOI's, firsthand accounts, e-mails, cell phone records and other FACTS have proven this.  If you deny that, you are not dealing in FACTS, you are dealing in FICTION and you are a Nutt fan, not a Hog fan.  You can't be both.

And I'm not just picking on you, that goes for Zeke, Guvhog and anyone else in denial.

Don't be counting me in on that, I saw the light about Hooty a long, LONG time ago.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 05:24:59 pm
How old were you when this happened OR what PLANET have you been living on???

Seriously, this is the most uninformed, insane statement I think I've EVER read on this board.

Gus was FORCED out by DALE.  Turned his back on the State???

Nutt forced out the Springdale players, and DEFINITELY made it IMPOSSIBLE for Gus to stay.

This has all been WELL documented, and no one with facts or half a brain disputes this.

You need to have a long talk with Mitch Mustain's mother and let her tell you what she thinks of Gus. You won't like it. It's wrong for a coach to give a player that trusts in him  a long, LONG spill about loyalty and why he should stay at Arkansas then jump ship himself sometime later. He turned his back on the players he brought from Springdale and that stinks to high heaven.

BTW 2 of the Springdale 5 Graduated at the U of A.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: GuvHog on July 05, 2014, 08:59:49 pm
Don't be counting me in on that, I saw the light about Hooty a long, LONG time ago.

My apologies, then.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: GuvHog on July 05, 2014, 09:07:31 pm
You need to have a long talk with Mitch Mustain's mother and let her tell you what she thinks of Gus. You won't like it. It's wrong for a coach to give a player that trusts in him  a long, LONG spill about loyalty and why he should stay at Arkansas then jump ship himself sometime later. He turned his back on the players he brought from Springdale and that stinks to high heaven.

Oh, I'm with you there and have at the very least reserved judgement.  He's not in the league of Nutt, but he's not the coach I used to admire.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Yeah, I'm very familiar with most of their inside stories.

Mike Irwin

I've talked to her, many times. She has issues with Malzhan but she'd put Nutt on a space probe to another solar system if NASA would allow it.

"Stinks to high heaven" is overstating her feelings about Malzahn. Disappointed is a better description.

And you have to understand Gus could only go on what he was told and promised also.

A few of us never thought Nutt would hold true to that, but no one dreamed how far in the opposite direction he would go and how low he could go to try to get his way.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 11:26:37 pm
And you have to understand Gus could only go on what he was told and promised also.

A few of us never thought Nutt would hold true to that, but no one dreamed how far in the opposite direction he would go and how low he could go to try to get his way.
You got that right. I knew Nutt didn't really want Malzahn but when I saw Reggie Herring making fun of Malzahn at a spring practice in front of the players I was dumbfounded. It was absolutely insane.

I cannot imagine what it's like to be a player on a team where the men who are supposed to be coaching you are acting like spoiled junior high brats.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 11:33:13 pm
You got that right. I knew Nutt didn't really want Malzahn but when I saw Reggie Herring making fun of Malzahn at a spring practice in front of the players I was dumbfounded. It was absolutely insane.

I cannot imagine what it's like to be a player on a team where the men who are supposed to be coaching you are acting like spoiled junior high brats.

I hope I don't open up a can of worms with this question, but it sounded as if something of the sorts happened with the staff and Taver. Are there any similarities in the Reggie/Gus incidents and Taver/? before he left?
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 06, 2014, 12:15:08 am
I hope I don't open up a can of worms with this question, but it sounded as if something of the sorts happened with the staff and Taver. Are there any similarities in the Reggie/Gus incidents and Taver/? before he left?

No.

I've known of some conflicts on previous Razorback staffs but not in front of the players. In 97 Kay Stephenson and Miles Aldridge didn't get along. But I never saw one insult the other around the players.

After that season Dirt Winston mentioned some of the dysfunctional staff meetings but I never personally saw it.

A few years earlier a player under Ford told me that Larry VanderHayden (an O-Line coach under Ford) resigned because Robert Reed told him to "eff off old man," in front of the players and Ford didn't do anything about it.

To me none of this even comes close to a coach belittling another coach in front of the players when that coach is the offensive coordinator and he's trying to install an offense in his first year on the job. It was mind boggling.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 06, 2014, 12:29:44 am
No.

I've known of some conflicts on previous Razorback staffs but not in front of the players. In 97 Kay Stephenson and Miles Aldridge didn't get along. But I never saw one insult the other around the players.

After that season Dirt Winston mentioned some of the dysfunctional staff meetings but I never personally saw it.

A few years earlier a player under Ford told me that Larry VanderHayden (an O-Line coach under Ford) resigned because Robert Reed told him to "eff off old man," in front of the players and Ford didn't do anything about it.

To me none of this even comes close to a coach belittling another coach in front of the players when that coach is the offensive coordinator and he's trying to install an offense in his first year on the job. It was mind boggling.

After I posted I realized that what I heard about did not take place in front of any players, but in the offices. It doesn't really matter to me one way or another. Now some of the things you just mentioned are totally uncalled for and until people get the WHOLE STORY of what has taken place, judgement should be reserved. Thanks, Mike, for all the insight you provide. You truely are a trove of knowledge and history.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 11:33:13 pm

My respect for Reggie just dropped by a 1000. How can someone be so unprofessional? I guess Gus is getting the last laugh now.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 06, 2014, 05:27:28 am
My respect for Reggie just dropped by a 1000. How can someone be so unprofessional? I guess Gus is getting the last laugh now.  ;D

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be brought up.  Maybe we need a forum for it, but it is NOT vents and rumors....it is FACT.

ChitownHawg

July 06, 2014, 05:07:16 pm #220 Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:58:46 pm by ChitownHawg
Quote from: Notshavin on July 06, 2014, 04:41:47 pm
This is the kind of stuff that needs to be brought up.  Maybe we need a forum for it, but it is NOT vents and rumors....it is FACT.

Our other discussion did get trashed pretty quickly.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Iwastherein1969

Bielema is no savior....no coach is a savior...now will CBB give it all he has ?  Emphatically, yes !  Will that be enough to get us what he promised us, an SEC Championship ?  I have reservations based on IMHO CBB didn't fully realize just how tough it is to win in the SEC.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 05, 2014, 03:41:01 pm
Thank you for the background detail Mike, I didn't know much of that.

Soooo....when are ya gonna write that book? "Razorback Football -The way I saw it."

Yeah Mike, I'll help ya write it too.
[CENSORED]!

Count me in.

As a far as inside knowledge I was limited to a certain Tight End but there were a lot of serious medical issues pooed pooed after this kid gave Nutt one of the greatest wins of his career.