Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Positive outlook

Started by bruisemeister, June 29, 2014, 02:11:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

We tend to make more of someone who is a can't miss but overlook what we have or could have. I still remember the sadness of fans when Othella Harrington passed on the Hogs. They had seemed to forget that we had already had Corliss signed. In the end the Hogs didn't need him. Its hard to beat a sweet 16, one national runner up and one national title in 3 years.
How about the disappointment when that Upchurch kid decided to go to Bama in 2005? It freed up a spot for Felix Jones and we already had Darren McFadden.

Of course we remember the damage the desire to get the "Springdale 5" caused? Of the 5 only one, Damien Williams, had any major success. However, he had about the same success at USC as Joe Adams did here. Ryan Mallett, D.J. Williams, Jarius Wright and JaMarcus Love played the same positions as the remaining Sprindale 4 and had much more success.

Would you trade Alex Collins for Altee Tenpenny? Aren't you glad DGB didn't come? Who in the heck is Jelani Gardner? Jerod Ward? Deuce Ford?
Be patient if that can't miss guy passes on Arkansas. That just frees up space for someone that may actually be a better fit.

redeye

I remember all of them except for Upchurch and Ward.  I had to look up what happened with Othella Harrington, because I don't recall hearing much about him, after he signed with Georgetown.  Since he made it to the NBA, I'm sure he had a good career, but Corliss received far more attention.

When I think of great players we missed out on, I can probably think of more that we never really recruited (e.g. Mark Price, Willie Roaf), then those who we did, because so many of those we recruited never materialized.  However, I don't necessarily consider that a good thing.

CokeHog

Scottie Pippen says hello!  ;)
Go Hogs!

HawgnCorona

Jerod Ward was highly tauted recruit --#1 in the nation-- out of Clinton MS in 1994 that we were close to landing under Nolan...

He actually signed with Michigan along with Maurice Taylor but he wound up being a bust. Never made it in the NBA, spent career over seas. 

Upchurch I have no idea on who he is talking about there. However, I do get the point he is making over all.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jseinfeld50

Last scholarship - Mark Price (Enid OK) or Willie Cutts? Future AA and 12 yrs NBA or one full year and a couple games of year 2.

Roy Upchurch (RB from Tallahasse FL)

PonderinHog

tophawg19

Roy Upchurch went to bama but stayed hurt a lot . never seemed to get healthy . i think he was drafted in a late rd but don't remember anything beyond that . You also have to figure , that had we signed those guys their careers might have gone totally different . no way of knowing . Othella might have been that big presence inside that might have helped us to 3 national championships during that time. It's all speculation now . it can go either way you want it to.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OLDHOG

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 29, 2014, 02:11:14 am
We tend to make more of someone who is a can't miss but overlook what we have or could have. I still remember the sadness of fans when Othella Harrington passed on the Hogs. They had seemed to forget that we had already had Corliss signed. In the end the Hogs didn't need him. Its hard to beat a sweet 16, one national runner up and one national title in 3 years.
How about the disappointment when that Upchurch kid decided to go to Bama in 2005? It freed up a spot for Felix Jones and we already had Darren McFadden.

Of course we remember the damage the desire to get the "Springdale 5" caused? Of the 5 only one, Damien Williams, had any major success. However, he had about the same success at USC as Joe Adams did here. Ryan Mallett, D.J. Williams, Jarius Wright and JaMarcus Love played the same positions as the remaining Sprindale 4 and had much more success.

Would you trade Alex Collins for Altee Tenpenny? Aren't you glad DGB didn't come? Who in the heck is Jelani Gardner? Jerod Ward? Deuce Ford?
Be patient if that can't miss guy passes on Arkansas. That just frees up space for someone that may actually be a better fit.
Yea, this really is a crap shoot. U really don't know what u got till at least 2 yrs after they sign with ya. I've come to realize that the coaches know a lot more about who will and who wont fit in their program. Ya just have to keep the faith.

JIHawg

Bear Bryant tried his best to lure Houston Nutt from Arkansas, even going into the home and having a piece of Mama Nutt's vaulted pie.  In the end, Houston decided to stay home and the rest, as we say, is history.

Granny

Yeah, it's so weird....it's like everyone one wants just highly recruited guys to be on the team or something.

Paul

Quote from: JIHawg on June 29, 2014, 09:35:40 am
Bear Bryant tried his best to lure Houston Nutt from Arkansas, even going into the home and having a piece of Mama Nutt's vaulted pie.  In the end, Houston decided to stay home and the rest, as we say, is history.
Not much historic about his college career tho

BigSexyHog

So Nutt could have been "one heartbeat" for the Bama program???? DAMN THE LUCK!!!!!
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Oklahawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 29, 2014, 11:21:14 am
So Nutt could have been "one heartbeat" for the Bama program???? DAMN THE LUCK!!!!!

Rich! He could have spent 6 years on one side or the other of Mike Shula.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Country Stylz

Quote from: Granny on June 29, 2014, 09:43:43 am
Yeah, it's so weird....it's like everyone one wants just highly recruited guys to be on the team or something.
I know. It's like the teams signing those classes with highly ranked guys are the ones winning championships EVERY..SINGLE..YEAR

GolfnHog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 29, 2014, 11:21:14 am

Ok, that caused spittage on the keyboard!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"