Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could the University of Texas get into the SEC at will?

Started by TPS_Report, June 28, 2014, 03:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on June 28, 2014, 10:29:30 pm
I don't know why Texas isn't trying to join the Pac-12 anymore?  Wasn't A&M the holdup before?  If so, then what's stopping them now?

I assume Texas won't go anywhere unless it has to.  It's likely the PAC12 would take them anytime texas wanted to come, but Texas would rather continue running a surviving Big12.  The Pac12 is just a safety net for them.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

I don't know why Texas isn't trying to join the Pac-12 anymore?  Wasn't A&M the holdup before?  If so, then what's stopping them now?

Control
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ā 

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 28, 2014, 03:45:36 pm
I think the only draw UTx would have for the SEC is if A&M weren't already in the conference.  I'm not saying A&M is more desirable than UTx, but that the main reason for adding a team is to increase the subscriber footprint.  UNC or NC State does this.  VA or VA Tech does this.  UTx doesn't.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE being in the SEC.  The best fans in all of sports are here and I speak for all Aggies when I say we feel honored call this conference home.

I just wish we could get out of the Jerryworld contract as that place is a lame venue for CFB (doesn't help that we've run out of time against y'all every game in that behemoth). 

Make College Station a better destination for visiting fans and we might agree with you. 

We made the trip two years ago and were horrified at what Aggie fans considered the "can't miss" places in town.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

secfan30

Share evenly and understand Alabama and Floridia always get the calls, then they are in. Otherwise no. The SEC has a Texas presence.

Anybody

Texas was asked to join the SEC a couple of times before aTm comitted and they chickened out........ again.  Can you imagine Texas playing an SEC schedule against the best teams in the country versus some of the schools in the Big 12, 10 or however many teams they have in their conference.  Their mediocre record would kill their recruiting.

I HATE Texas !  Primadonas !

GO HOGS !!!

footballfan

Anyone who thinks Texas could get in with the way they currently operate is smoking china white heroin while sitting in a bath of lsd and sipping lots of high quality toilet made prison wine. Texas is one swinging dick. The SEC has alot of them that wouldn't deign to put up with their crap. The SEc has the best college football markets in the country. They don't need the university of texas to make great money.

Doug

A top tier Big 12 Texas team would be a middle tier SEC Texas team.

Texas won't give up their LHN, at all. Sorry, Tejas, but SEC is all about equality, not these mamby pamby silly nancies that constantly scream "LOOKIT MEEH!".

Next?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Doug on June 29, 2014, 12:46:16 am

Texas won't give up their LHN, at all. Sorry, Tejas, but SEC is all about equality, not these mamby pamby silly nancies that constantly scream "LOOKIT MEEH!".

Next?
Gotta do this. What do we call Mizzou then?

31to6

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2014, 03:53:47 am
The beneficiary of a favorable schedule?

goodguytex

Anyone who is a razorback fan over the age of 30 should have a very healthy hate for the texass short whorns. That hate for me is intensified by growing up on the Arkansas/texass border. The SEC is too good for texass. They can have and keep the little whatever. We are the SEC. We are the best of the best. And will always be. And texass needs to get their egos in check anyway. They can't even get any of their players drafted by the nfl.

TPS_Report

QuoteYou must understand a few things, from an Arkansas perspective.

First (and I don't know your age), a large part of this board is in their early 30's or younger, and they don't remember much (if anything) about being in a conference with the Longhorns (as we older fans most definitely DO).

Second thing is that we (Arkansas) are already a part of the SEC, and we're not going anywhere.  We've been in this conference long enough to know that no one - not Texas, not Notre Dame - no one . . . is going to come in to this conference and have the kind of control that Texas once wielded in the SWC and still does in the Big 12.  So that part doesn't cause concern.

And third, Hog fans - for the most part - fully expect that IF Texas somehow got invited into the SEC, they'd stand in line and take their lumps like ALL of the schools do.  You don't play Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, A&M, Arkansas, S. Carolina, etc. without having some tough years.  ALL of the SEC teams have rough patches (check Bama before Saban arrived).  And there's a part of us who would love to see the Horns, who have snickered at us during our down stretches in the SEC, have to experience the gauntlet of powerful teams we've had to play.  It's easy to snicker when you're not playing by the same rules.  It would be interesting to see how the "mighty Horns" fared with an SEC schedule, year in and year out.

The truth is that for some of us older types, having Texas in a conference that they wouldn't dominate, and being able to renew our oldest and deepest rivalry would have some attraction.

Great Post!!!! ;D
I bleed maroon and I wipe burnt orange.

TPS_Report

QuoteI don't know why Texas isn't trying to join the Pac-12 anymore?  Wasn't A&M the holdup before?  If so, then what's stopping them now?

UTx may have peed in their chili where the PAC is concerned.  The PAC was ready to announce the PAC 16 minus A&M plus Utah when UTx agreed to the LHN and tried to ram it down the PAC's throat at the last minute.  It may be some time before they can saunter back over that way.  Of course, if changes in the current conference model dictate quick action I'm sure the PAC will hold their noses and make a play at the sips. :puke:

Ā 

TPS_Report

Quote from: popcornhog on June 28, 2014, 04:07:03 pm
Wait, I'm confused. Is it Aggy or Aggie?

UTx fans seem to think Aggies give a sheet about how they choose to spell it. 

BTW, considering that we have the Jerryworld deal set up, does anyone know if y'all tried to get that deal with UTx first?  I'm sure y'all would have rather been playing them over us. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 28, 2014, 03:21:40 pm
They seem to think so.

Quotes from some UT boards

Full disclosure, I'm an Aggie and am posting this to get y'all's opinion on their confidence.  I believe there is no other team on earth you guys enjoy beating more than the Longhorns, but would you want to be conference-mates with them ever again?

BTW, I attended the game at Fayetteville last year and was very impressed by your campus... though I did get shin splints from all the hills.

Gig 'Em

T.

Most Hog fans don't get worked up over one team and only one team the way the aggies do about tejas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: popcornhog on June 28, 2014, 04:07:03 pm
Wait, I'm confused. Is it Aggy or Aggie?

Doesn't matter as long as the letter "F" is put in front of em................................................... With no female cheerleaders it has to be applicable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRRandy on June 28, 2014, 04:21:48 pm
well the sec could add Texas and Oklahoma but drop Arkansas and Kentucky. The razorbacks could find themselves on the outside looking in.

Step away from the pipe.....................................

Inhogswetrust

lefty08

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 29, 2014, 07:34:42 am

BTW, considering that we have the Jerryworld deal set up, does anyone know if y'all tried to get that deal with UTx first?  I'm sure y'all would have rather been playing them over us.

Texas refuses to play us, in fact, theybstill owe us a game
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

BorderPatrol

The Jerry World deal was a big F-you to the Longhorns and Oklahoma, so no, they weren't the first choice.

bp

Torqued pork

Most Texas fans I've heard really just want a more interesting schedule even with their struggles the last few years.

TPS_Report

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 29, 2014, 08:25:01 am
The Jerry World deal was a big F-you to the Longhorns and Oklahoma, so no, they weren't the first choice.

bp

I'd love to let Tech replace us in the Death Star and go back to a Home & Home with y'all.  Any of y'all up for that?

fortsmithokie

I think the Longhorn Network was the sticking point.

I doubt a more interesting schedule would include the mounting losses Texas would incur if they didn't get their team to playing like their team should play.  Again, Texas makes the big bucks now, they play in a conference where winning 1 or 2 key games and they are in the NC picture.  In the SEC, they would have to win 5 to7 tough games annually just to get to the Conference Championship game. 

Ā 

fortsmithokie

Quote from: 12247 on June 29, 2014, 11:25:57 am
I doubt a more interesting schedule would include the mounting losses Texas would incur if they didn't get their team to playing like their team should play.  Again, Texas makes the big bucks now, they play in a conference where winning 1 or 2 key games and they are in the NC picture.  In the SEC, they would have to win 5 to7 tough games annually just to get to the Conference Championship game. 

I think people assume teams would recruit the same and be the same, regardless of conference.

With the brand name it has, Texas would likely expand into traditional SEC markets for recruits and overtake A&M in Texas recruiting once again. On the flip side, Arkansas moving to another conference would probably hurt recruiting because they'd no longer have the draw of being an SEC team.

Since their move to the Big 10, Nebraska doesn't pull the quantity or quality of Texas players it did in the Big 12 (not that it was a huge number, but it was significant) and they don't get as many from California. You also don't see them really cracking Big 10 recruiting areas yet.

Hogwild

They need 3/4s of the conference to accept and new member and 2/3s of the conference to terminate or suspend membership. 

WizardofhOgZ

Two reasons that was never going to happen.

One is that Texas already plays OU in the DFW area annually.  They don't need, nor want, a second game there every year.  Keep in mind that they now play in Fort Worth every other year as well.

Beyond that, there were a large number of Horn boosters that got pissed off at Brown/Dodds for scheduling us home and home in 2003 and 2004 and then again in 2008 and 2009.  In 2003, we embarrassed them on their home field when Matt Jones had a Manziel like performance against them.  We almost pulled it off again the next year in Fayetteville with a team that had no business giving Texas a good game.  After that, their fans would have been happy to never play us again, but we somehow scheduled them again in 2008-9.  I recall a lot of anger among the Horn fandom about allowing us another shot to pull down their knickers.

Fortunately for Brown, the timing was excellent for him with the transitional year between Nutt and Petrino.  And then we asked to postpone the return game when we started the series with A&M in Arlington the next season.  It has since been bumped back a couple of times and is presently on the schedule for 2021.

Texas fans see it as a "no win" game for them, for they perceive their program to be elite and ours to be "middle tier".  Pretty much like they view ANY series that is not against Notre Dame, Ohio State or USC . . . lol . . .

Pigasaurus

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 28, 2014, 08:39:40 pm
Texas doesn't like competition, thus, they wouldn't dare to request admission to the SEC...

Texas doesn't want SEC competition.  All they have to do is use all the talent they have access to, go undefeated and play an SEC team in national championship game.  Their path to title is a lot easier where they are.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2014, 03:53:47 am

In 2012 or 2013?  Douglas ain't referring to a program's single year's performance. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

texas tush hog

June 29, 2014, 04:20:32 pm #79 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:12:49 am by texas tush hog
They seem to think so.

Full disclosure, I'm an Aggie and am posting this to get y'all's opinion on their confidence.  I believe there is no other team on earth you guys enjoy beating more than the Longhorns, but would you want to be conference-mates with them ever again?

BTW, I attended the game at Fayetteville last year and was very impressed by your campus... though I did get shin splints from all the hills.

Gig 'Em

T.

You need to get out of that teasip hind tint mentality that Aggies have labored under for decades. Texass will never, and I repeat never, come to the SEC, nor would Slive or any others of the SEC hierarchy even entertain the thought. Do not even think for a minute that the crap you read on the teasip boards is rooted in reality. Teasippers are called teasippers because they honestly believe the world revolves around them. Just relax, and accept the fact that this is a new day in Aggieland. I guarantee you John David Crowe and Gene Stallings don't share your paranoia. My brother went to school with both and I talk to them regularly and they do not even remotely share your fears. Mike Irwin knows what I know, that BEVO has lost a lot of it's lustre and their star is fading rapidly. Their hiring of an African-American coach is a last gasp desperation measure. Sumlin is already taking care of that venue in the Big Two of Texas and all Charley can do is recruit most of the best black players but not all. Sumlin will get the best of all worlds, black, white and Hispanic and there are a lot of Hispanic players in Texas. Relax Aggie, your ship has good people at the helm and sailing on smooth seas.

Hogwild

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 29, 2014, 01:18:58 pm
Two reasons that was never going to happen.

One is that Texas already plays OU in the DFW area annually.  They don't need, nor want, a second game there every year.  Keep in mind that they now play in Fort Worth every other year as well.

Beyond that, there were a large number of Horn boosters that got pissed off at Brown/Dodds for scheduling us home and home in 2003 and 2004 and then again in 2008 and 2009.  In 2003, we embarrassed them on their home field when Matt Jones had a Manziel like performance against them.  We almost pulled it off again the next year in Fayetteville with a team that had no business giving Texas a good game.  After that, their fans would have been happy to never play us again, but we somehow scheduled them again in 2008-9.  I recall a lot of anger among the Horn fandom about allowing us another shot to pull down their knickers.

Fortunately for Brown, the timing was excellent for him with the transitional year between Nutt and Petrino.  And then we asked to postpone the return game when we started the series with A&M in Arlington the next season.  It has since been bumped back a couple of times and is presently on the schedule for 2021.

Texas fans see it as a "no win" game for them, for they perceive their program to be elite and ours to be "middle tier".  Pretty much like they view ANY series that is not against Notre Dame, Ohio State or USC . . . lol . . .

I didn't realize that Texas would be  playing those teams.  It looks like in the years that Texas hosts TCU, they will schedule a OOC game in Arlington (UCLA, Maryland, wonder if  one of those Notre Dame games would be there)

rlreev01

Yes they would be accepted but without the Longhorn next work and disproportionate sharing.

jgphillips3

Texas gets great talent.  If Strong gets them back to fundamental defense and to quit playing like flapping labias, they can be good again.  Just imagine what Bielema could do with the types of athletes they waste on their O & D lines.  Frightening...

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 29, 2014, 02:40:54 pm
In 2012 or 2013?  Douglas ain't referring to a program's single year's performance. 
All I'm posting is that in Mizzou second season in the SEC. They played for the conference championship. Mizzou was never a monster program in the Big12.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2014, 07:36:24 pm
All I'm posting is that in Mizzou second season in the SEC. They played for the conference championship. Mizzou was never a monster program in the Big12.

You're arguing the exception to the rule.  I'm arguing the rule.

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 29, 2014, 07:32:01 pm
Texas gets great talent.  If Strong gets them back to fundamental defense and to quit playing like flapping labias, they can be good again.  Just imagine what Bielema could do with the types of athletes they waste on their O & D lines.  Frightening...

Yeah, no excuse for that program, with all it's advantages, not to be top 10 every year. 

opineonswine

Hawghiggs

Quote from: fortsmithokie on June 29, 2014, 11:50:02 am
I think people assume teams would recruit the same and be the same, regardless of conference.

With the brand name it has, Texas would likely expand into traditional SEC markets for recruits and overtake A&M in Texas recruiting once again. On the flip side, Arkansas moving to another conference would probably hurt recruiting because they'd no longer have the draw of being an SEC team.

Since their move to the Big 10, Nebraska doesn't pull the quantity or quality of Texas players it did in the Big 12 (not that it was a huge number, but it was significant) and they don't get as many from California. You also don't see them really cracking Big 10 recruiting areas yet.

Do you really think that SEC branding has helped us?  It didn't help us when we came to the league and all our traditional recruiting grounds dried up. It hasn't helped us in Florida or Georgia over the years. I will agree that we have had a few. But it hasn't been a huge amount. What about the state of Missouri? That state has traditionally supplied athletes for 5 to 6 Big12 programs. And yet we seem to not be able to gain much ground in it.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 29, 2014, 07:43:35 pm
You're arguing the exception to the rule.  I'm arguing the rule.

The rule is not defined. The statement is not fact. What is fact. Is Missouri within a two years span played for a conference championship. They were a mid tier Big12 program.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2014, 07:57:45 pm
The rule is not defined. The statement is not fact. What is fact. Is Missouri within a two years span played for a conference championship. They were a mid tier Big12 program.

And there's nothing in the original assertion that suggested that UT wouldn't play for an SECC too if in the SEC.  Just that, over time, they would be a mid tier team in the SEC.  Heck, they've barely been mid tier in their own conference the last few years.  And of course it's all opinion.

BTW, we've been in the SEC for better than 2 decades, and we've played in the SECC a few times.  And we've been the definition of mid tier in the SEC.

Augustus

Methzou was the benefactor of several East team's struggling last year (the past few years?).  This isn't the East of usual.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 28, 2014, 08:42:50 pm
So there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the Longhorns.  Most cannot fathom how things got this way.   But some of them are now realizing that their hegemony within the state is over and the possibility of it ever returning is dying along with the conference it tried to kill in 2010.  So the fan-base is now in the stage where they console each other by bragging about how they could get into the SEC in the blink of an eye.  One of their posts mentioned LSU and Arkansas would likely be "Yes" votes for them.  I was curious what y'all had to say on the matter.

A&M's relative success the last few years is exactly why the SEC will never vote Texas into the SEC, including Arkansas even if Texas was to agree to membership on an equal footing which they will not.

What Arkansas will vote for in a New York minute is a Notre Dame like scheduling agreement between Texas and the SEC.  That would greatly simplify Arkansas' future non-conf. scheduling, justify another premium priced game and the Horns are no tougher than Tech, TCU, or Michigan.

And it will come to that when Texas is faced with having to admit BYU to the Diminutive Dozen when OU decides they have had enough of being the red-headed step child and the PAC needs them badly enough.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 29, 2014, 08:05:49 pm
And there's nothing in the original assertion that suggested that UT wouldn't play for an SECC too if in the SEC.  Just that, over time, they would be a mid tier team in the SEC.  Heck, they've barely been mid tier in their own conference the last few years.  And of course it's all opinion.

BTW, we've been in the SEC for better than 2 decades, and we've played in the SECC a few times.  And we've been the definition of mid tier in the SEC.
I can agree with that. I also can agree that we have been regulated to mid tier program. Something that we need to remedy. Being in the SEC has made the program wealth. But I question whether or not we have actually benefitted from it.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2014, 07:57:45 pm

Didnt we do the same thing in year 3?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hogwild on June 29, 2014, 04:41:37 pm
I didn't realize that Texas would be  playing those teams.  It looks like in the years that Texas hosts TCU, they will schedule a OOC game in Arlington (UCLA, Maryland, wonder if  one of those Notre Dame games would be there)

Hogwild, I didn't say Texas would be playing them.  I said that any series Texas has against an out of conference opponent other than teams like that, their fans consider to be against inferior teams that they have "nothing to win and everything to lose" by playing.  In particular, they have expressed that opinion about us (Arkansas).

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 29, 2014, 01:18:58 pm

NaturalStateReb

They seem to think so.

Gig 'Em

T.

Could Texas get in the SEC?  Possibly, but I see hurtles.

I'm not sure that Texas really wants in.  First, they've created a conference that's pretty much a superhighway to the playoff.  The Big 12 seems pretty stable for the next few years, and the only way I see this changing is if the Big 12 model can't reliably put its champion in the playoff.  Second, Texas doesn't see itself as an SEC-school--it sees itself as a public Ivy, having more in common with the schools of the Pac-12 or the B1G academically if not culturally.  Third, Texas really rules the roost in the Big 12; they'd never enjoy that level of control in the SEC. 

From the SEC point of view, Texas probably does add value, although not as much value as it would have added prior to A&M joining the league.  The SEC would never permit Texas to join while LHN is still running, since that would take away from the overall value of SEC Network and cause discontent among current SEC members; the only way I can see Texas with LHN getting in was if Texas agreed to wind down LHN and join the SEC Network within a fairly short period of entering the SEC.  Since LHN and SEC Network are both with ESPN, that's possible. 

I don't know how the membership of the SEC would vote on Texas.  A&M's definitely a no vote.  Missouri and Arkansas?  I don't know about them.  Mizzou would probably like to keep the Texas talent pipeline as big as possible, and Arkansas' been searching for a real rival since entering the SEC.  Both teams left their old conferences in part due to Texas.  The other schools would have more access to Texas, but Texas would also have more access to their areas as well.

I really don't see anything like this ever happening.  I don't think Texas goes to another conference unless the Big 12 can't get them into the playoff or something cataclysmic happens to the Big 12.  If anything, I think the chances are better that Texas goes independent than to the SEC. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Doug on June 29, 2014, 12:46:16 am

Next?

For a while.  Texas won't suck forever, though (unfortunately).  It has way too many advantages to stay down for a long time.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hogwild

Never a monster but the last few seasons Mizzou has been a solid program, in 2007 they finished the regular season ranked either #1 or #2 in the nation.  In their final 5 seasons Mizzou went 27-14 in Big 12 play, they are 9-7 in SEC play.

MC_Hog

I'm 47 & I don't care if we ever play Texas again in any sport & I don't ever want to be part of a conference that Texas is in. I don't think Texas would fit in the SEC (A&M was a perfect fit). College football has changed & I personally don't think that Texas is as relevant in football as they once was. That's what they found out when they tried to join another conference.

BPsTheMan

They seem to think so.

Gig 'Em

T.

I sat in the middle of you all last fall at Razorback Stadium, and enjoyed it. Classy folks.

Welcome.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.