Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could the University of Texas get into the SEC at will?

Started by TPS_Report, June 28, 2014, 03:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

UT would have to agree to split money equally with the other members. Something the "tea sippers" have felt was beneath them in the Big "whatever" Conference. Until then....nope.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jvanhorn

Why would you invite the fox to move into the henhouse?  Arkansas fans tried to warn the Big 12 before they took in Texas from the SWC.  Before you could say "Hook Em Horn" the Big 12 headquarters was moved from long standing Kansas City to Dallas, LOL, and things just got worse. 

I have talked to some Nebraska fans and they all say the main reason they left the Big 12 was they just got fed up with Texas trying to run the show.  To say they are much happier now would be an understatement, as far as conferences go.  Basically they just pulled an Arkansas and did what Oklahoma and Oklahoma State didn't have the guts to do.  Texas A&M is very grateful.

mhuff

Quote from: Hogman2 on June 28, 2014, 04:14:30 pm
Texas would be unable to RUN THE SEC so no they are not joining!

I think they would get their feelings hurt.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Murr

Quote from: redeye on June 28, 2014, 10:29:30 pm
I don't know why Texas isn't trying to join the Pac-12 anymore?  Wasn't A&M the holdup before?  If so, then what's stopping them now?

It's not in Texas' best interest to move to the PAC.  The PAC 16 idea was Larry Scott's attempt to form the first super conference and make the biggest extension of his conference's brand possible.  Problems were Espn didn't want Fox to gain that much quality college football content and the SEC didn't want the PAC in the central time zone.  ESPN gave UT the LHN and they stayed put.  The SEC was open to bringing in Big 12 schools to stop all of them from going west and the PAC didn't invite the whole crew (Texas, Tech, A&M, Colorado, OU, OSU and someone else) if UT wasn't with them. 

Murr

Quote from: Anybody on June 28, 2014, 11:40:51 pm
Texas was asked to join the SEC a couple of times before aTm comitted and they chickened out........ again.  Can you imagine Texas playing an SEC schedule against the best teams in the country versus some of the schools in the Big 12, 10 or however many teams they have in their conference.  Their mediocre record would kill their recruiting.

I HATE Texas !  Primadonas !

GO HOGS !!!

Actually, back in the early 1990's when the SEC was looking at adding two to form a CCG, the only major hold up with UT at the time was conference academics.  They wanted the SEC to form a plan and start improving the academics of all its schools.  When that couldn't be reached, they looked elsewhere.  Hogs and USCe joined the SEC while the SWC cut its fat and joined the Big 8 to form the Big 12.

Murr

Quote from: lefty08 on June 29, 2014, 08:24:43 am
Texas refuses to play us, in fact, theybstill owe us a game

Pushed back until 2021 until the push it back again.

Murr

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 30, 2014, 02:29:08 pm
I really don't see anything like this ever happening.  I don't think Texas goes to another conference unless the Big 12 can't get them into the playoff or something cataclysmic happens to the Big 12.  If anything, I think the chances are better that Texas goes independent than to the SEC.

There is still one more major earthquake that's about to be played out in the college sports landscape: The rights and entitlements of college student-athletes.  Player image likeness licenses, full cost of attendance scholarships, paid travel expenses for their parents to home and away games, transfer rules, guaranteed scholarships, and so on will be debated amongst the Power 5 conferences (B1G, B12, P12, SEC, ACC) and there appears to be some hard lines being drawn in the sand.

As for where UT would land if the B12 fell apart, Deloss was stating that they would look east; think the ACC with a Notre Dame type deal where UT could bring along some B12 schools that couldn't find a nice landing spot.

TheRazorbackGuy

texas tush hog

Quote from: jvanhorn on July 02, 2014, 12:46:23 pm
Why would you invite the fox to move into the henhouse?  Arkansas fans tried to warn the Big 12 before they took in Texas from the SWC.  Before you could say "Hook Em Horn" the Big 12 headquarters was moved from long standing Kansas City to Dallas, LOL, and things just got worse. 

I have talked to some Nebraska fans and they all say the main reason they left the Big 12 was they just got fed up with Texas trying to run the show.  To say they are much happier now would be an understatement, as far as conferences go.  Basically they just pulled an Arkansas and did what Oklahoma and Oklahoma State didn't have the guts to do.  Texas A&M is very grateful.

Mizzou and A&M had all they could stomach, just as Colorado and Nebraska did a year earlier. All four are beside themselves elated. Texas is the proverbial BEVO in the china shop. What they don't shatter they plop cow chips on.

rusvegashog

Of course they could. It's up to them. Make NO mistake about it Texas IS the Alpha program of college athletics.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 03, 2014, 09:13:27 am
Of course they could. It's up to them. Make NO mistake about it Texas IS the Alpha program of college athletics.
ESPN believed that. That's why they created the Longhorn Network which turned out to be a major bust.

Texas is not the gold standard it once was believed to be. People are starting to realize that their football program is actually quite ordinary.

plumbhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 04, 2014, 06:15:06 pm
ESPN believed that. That's why they created the Longhorn Network which turned out to be a major bust.

Texas is not the gold standard it once was believed to be. People are starting to realize that their football program is actually quite ordinary.
For now. The texas athelets will soon figure out that playing against the best of the best week in and week out is not all its cut out to be. The path of least resistance to a NC ring will put Texas back on top.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

redeye

Quote from: plumbhog on July 04, 2014, 07:52:33 pm
For now. The texas athelets will soon figure out that playing against the best of the best week in and week out is not all its cut out to be. The path of least resistance to a NC ring will put Texas back on top.

I would argue the opposite is true.  Texas and Oklahoma may continue winning national titles along the path of least resistance, but all the interest and credit will go to those who play against the best.  If winning was the only thing that mattered, then Boise State would be more successful today.  How many 4-5 star players want to play in the Mountain West Conference, though?

Texas won't get in the SEC as long as SEC Presidents deem them a threat to the stability and well-being of the conference as a whole.

rusvegashog

It's only a matter of time before Texas is back to being Texas and the Longhorn Network a Success. Not saying I don't hope for more of a steady decline from the program, but I just don't see it continuing on its downward spiral to mediocrite. So I guess I would have to respectfully disagree w ya Mike. I didn't realize or was unaware that the Longhorn Network wasn't a success.

Mike Irwin

ESPN supposedly agreed to pay Texas approximately $15 million per year for 10 years. In year one they actually got  $8 million.

It will be interesting to compare that with what each SEC school gets in the first year of the SEC Network.

So far the Longhorn Network has been a major disappointment.

The influence and power of Longhorn football has been overstated for decades. You have to go back to the 1960's to find the kind of sustained success from Texas that marks a top five national program.

SouthSide Johnny

Sustained success?

Texas holds an NCAA record for most winning seasons at 107 out of 119 seasons of football.
Texas is the only football program to post at least 10 wins from 2001–2009 seasons.
Texas is the only football program to post at least 9 wins from 1998–2009 seasons
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

JansterZ71

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 02:52:17 pm
ESPN supposedly agreed to pay Texas approximately $15 million per year for 10 years. In year one they actually got  $8 million.

It will be interesting to compare that with what each SEC school gets in the first year of the SEC Network.

The influence and power of Longhorn football has been overstated for decades. You have to go back to the 1960's to find the kind of sustained success from Texas that marks a top five national program.

That seems like a butt hurt statement.  Ignorant
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 05:54:45 pm
How many national championships have they won? 

That is the only question that matters.
Winning ONE National Championship in almost 40 years does NOT a dominant program make...

Serious? By that standard where does that leave us? The statement was Sustained success  regardless of the hatred for the Orange that have had Sustained Success, only 7 programs  have won more than 1 NC since the 70's with Nebraska, OU, Bama and Miami and Florida winning the most.  Speaking the truth regardless of the pain!!!!  Heck Army (2) and Minnesota (4) have multiple NC but hardly sustained success. 

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 06:30:57 pm
Well, this is the point:

There are your dominant programs over that time period.

Let's be completely honest about Texas - they have a huge athletic program with wads of cash but their success in football and basketball has been limited (at best).  They have resources most other schools can only dream of but the reality is they have not and are not getting the return on their investment commensurate with the level of their investment.

You are having reading comprehension problems, Big difference between sustained and dominate, dominate is very short term, sustained is long term. Blinded by your hate for the Orange.

chitwnhog

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 05, 2014, 06:13:03 pm
That seems like a butt hurt statement.  Ignorant

Seriously? Your post is DUM dumb...too dumb to spell dumb.

SouthSide Johnny

July 05, 2014, 07:24:28 pm #121 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:52:11 pm by SouthSide Johnny
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 06:53:56 pm
Wrong orange. 

Be that as it may, a run of 8, 9 and/or 10 win seasons is nice, but it doesn't equate to success. 

Let's look at their record a bit closer - click here.

Then, take a look at the list of Big 12 titles click here.

Only 2 Big 12 titles during what might be their best run in the early 2000's?  Doesn't look that successful to me. 

Look I'm not arguing with ignorant people that want to post stupid stuff with no reading comprehension

Texas has the second most wins (875) in NCAA college football with an 875–339–33 all-time win/loss record.
Texas ranks 2nd in the NCAA post-season bowl game appearances with 52 appearances as of 2013 with a 27–23–2 record.
Texas holds an NCAA record for most winning seasons at 107 out of 119 seasons of football.
Texas is the only football program to post at least 10 wins from 2001–2009 seasons.
Texas is the only football program to post at least 9 wins from 1998–2009 seasons
Conference records

Texas ranks 1st in the Big 12 conference for most bowl game appearances and victories.
Texas ranks 1st with a Big 12 conference record of 140–39 (78%) since conference began in 1996.
Texas holds the Big 12 Conference record for 21 consecutive conference wins from 2004–2006.
Texas holds the record for the most Southwest Conference Championships won with 27.
Texas won a record 6 straight Southwest Conference Championships from 1968–1973.
Texas is 6th with 32 total conference championships won among all NCAA teams.

If the above is Not sustained success then Nobody has it and I can't help your ignorance, Speaking the truth yea right You don't want to recognize the truth, careful with your travels you might fall off the square earth!

Iwastherein1969

next we'll hear about the oil wells and the endowments....go ahead, Longwhorn, tell us all about it....then try to imagine how little we care
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 07:39:20 pm
Yeah, that fits on a shirt real well..

Championships - they are what matters and Texas doesn't have that many of them!

There is your truth!
Texas is fools gold. For decades they'd clean up on the top recruits in Texas and lose big games to OU teams that had less talent. Often they'd lose at least one other Big 12 game to a team that had no business beating them.

With their money, recruiting and reputation they should have won five or six national championships since Royal stepped down. In reality they've won one.

These days Kevin Sumlin is dogging them. Plus Charlie Strong has come in and ticked all the blue bloods off by telling everybody that Texas Longhorn football is soft.

The nerve of that guy.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on July 05, 2014, 07:24:28 pm
Look I'm not arguing with ignorant people that want to post stupid stuff with no reading comprehension

Texas has the second most wins (875) in NCAA college football with an 875–339–33 all-time win/loss record.
Texas ranks 2nd in the NCAA post-season bowl game appearances with 52 appearances as of 2013 with a 27–23–2 record.
Conference records

Texas ranks 1st in the Big 12 conference for most bowl game appearances and victories.
Texas ranks 1st with a Big 12 conference record of 140–39 (78%) since conference began in 1996.
Texas holds the Big 12 Conference record for 21 consecutive conference wins from 2004–2006.
Texas holds the record for the most Southwest Conference Championships won with 27.
Texas won a record 6 straight Southwest Conference Championships from 1968–1973.

If the above is Not sustained success then Nobody has it and I can't help your ignorance, Speaking the truth yea right You don't want to recognize the truth, careful with your travels you might fall off the square earth!

UT has not sustained their previous levels of success over the past 4 seasons. That coupled with aTm's recent success in the SEC has certainly tarnished UT's reputation as a power in college football. But as the OP asked, could UT get into the SEC "at will"? The answer is no. The Bama's, Auburn's, LSU's, etc. of the SEC aren't the least bit intimidated by UT. Unlike most of the Big "whatever" schools, outside of OU. UT was the big bully on the block for many years. Then someone finally punched them in the nose and the rest of the block realized they weren't as tough as they made themselves out to be.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 05, 2014, 07:52:56 pm
next we'll hear about the oil wells and the endowments....go ahead, Longwhorn, tell us all about it....then try to imagine how little we care
Yep. Been hearing Shorthorns brag for six decades. It's comical.

Torqued pork

Texas thinks it's only behind Notre Dame in terms of a national following and mystique. They REALLY believe that. Thanks ESPN.

Hogwild

sustained success, but OU has the best program in their conference

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Hogwild on July 05, 2014, 08:35:23 pm

sustained success, but OU has the best program in their conference

Finally a rational post instead of spewing venom with a forked tongue or just plain stupidity.

Nebraska could be considered the best in the conference since 1970 based on their higher winning % .785 (best in nation) and 5 NC including back to back twice vs OU .762 and 4 NC (7 total), Texas at #8 .709 in the same years. Big 12 only conference with 3 in the top ten. SEC and Big 10 have 2 each with Flordia at #11. Some would discount OU some because of their probation problems.

rusvegashog

July 06, 2014, 11:24:23 pm #129 Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:35:05 pm by rusvegashog
When I think college football best programs I think Texas USC Miami Alabama. I don't think their success has been overstated or an aborition Mike. I think the expectations for Texas fall into a similiar type of category that Lebron James has to  deal with. Anything  short of a National Title is considered disappointing or underachieving by many. I don't figure you'd get a lot of folks feeling sorry for them around here though. Still I don't think they have perceived status I think it's very real and I believe they'll be contending sooner than later. The hype is real and merited. Disclaimer I'm not a Longhorn fan this is just the way I see it plus SouthsideJohnny pretty much laid it out above.

rusvegashog

Texas influence and power might not be what it once was Mike, but I believe that to be more of a byproduct of the changing times and the fact that there are  more and newer fish in the college football relevancy barrel. Texas/USC national title rematch sometime in the next 5 years. Book it.

Westcoasthog

Lets order the bookkeeping of the defunct Southwest Conference and give Arkansas the wins that Texas received ILLEGUALLY AND THAT INCLUDES THE
1969 ARKANSAS - TEXAS GAME THAT ARKANSAS ACTUALLY WON BUT TO DO
THE BAD OFFICIATING FROM CREW  THE SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE OFFICIATING CREW WERE FROM TEXAS A & M.  TEXAS WAS SO CONCERNED BEFORE THE GAME THAT THEY WOULD NOT BE GIVEN A FAIR CALL.

Westcoasthog

Hogwild

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on July 06, 2014, 11:39:38 am
Finally a rational post instead of spewing venom with a forked tongue or just plain stupidity.

Nebraska could be considered the best in the conference since 1970 based on their higher winning % .785 (best in nation) and 5 NC including back to back twice vs OU .762 and 4 NC (7 total), Texas at #8 .709 in the same years. Big 12 only conference with 3 in the top ten. SEC and Big 10 have 2 each with Flordia at #11. Some would discount OU some because of their probation problems.

not following you here with Nebraska.  Your starting point is when they were in the Big 8  for quarter century, counts for the Big 12 and not for the conference they have been in since 2011? Nebraska only won the Big 12 title twice.

OTTER

Understand, you cannot argue with Texass fans.  They are too full of themselves to understand their position in the sports world ain't what it used to be, and that is proven with the failure of their glorious network and the conference they play in.  They had their chance to be in the SEC and backed out.  No need to consider them again, they ain't worth the effort.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

SouthSide Johnny

July 07, 2014, 02:12:33 pm #135 Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:29:53 pm by SouthSide Johnny
Quote from: Hogwild on July 07, 2014, 11:55:26 am
not following you here with Nebraska.  Your starting point is when they were in the Big 8  for quarter century, counts for the Big 12 and not for the conference they have been in since 2011? Nebraska only won the Big 12 title twice.

I think your smart enough to connect the dots unlike some of the others, Reference, Nebraska, OU, Texas in same conference, but to your point since 1996 to 2010 OU is 7-1, Nebraska 2-4, Texas 3-2 in Big 12 championship game.

MJ2

hobhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 02:52:17 pm

agreed. SEC Network will work because they have a larger pool of markets to draw from. ESPN overestimated the appeal of UT out of state. I spoke with an ESPN exec last week and he said he thinks all of the national cable/satelite carriers will pick up the SEC package, which didnt hold true with UT.

j-mann

anyone that hates texas is friends of mine F Tex
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

OldArmy94

Here's one Aggie who is perfectly happy never playing them again in football.  The irony is that the horns thought we'd be begging to get our rivalry game back; now, it may end up being the tsips who beg US for a shot at the champ. Sure, IF we ever do play them again, it'll be fun, but I don't feel an empty hole in my football heart without 'em.

I love the SEC, and even though Johnny Football and Coach Sumlin have played a huge role in the positives of the past two seasons, it is a wonderful, WONDERFUL club to be in.  I am very grateful to be an SEC Aggie. ::hornsdown::

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 05, 2014, 01:26:27 am
It's only a matter of time before Texas is back to being Texas and the Longhorn Network a Success. Not saying I don't hope for more of a steady decline from the program, but I just don't see it continuing on its downward spiral to mediocrite. So I guess I would have to respectfully disagree w ya Mike. I didn't realize or was unaware that the Longhorn Network wasn't a success.

I agree in part and disagree in part.  Texas will be good again--they have too many advantages too be terrible for a sustained period of time.

I disagree about Longhorn Network, though.  The problem with LHN, and why it ultimately won't be the success that Texas and ESPN hoped, is that the premises for such a network is flawed.  The conference networks will work because they have a multi-state, even multi-region, reach.  A single, geographically-bound school like Texas doesn't.  Although Texas has major markets, it doesn't have much reach, and it doesn't even have much penetration in the markets it does have.  LHN is too narrow of a product to succeed--the strength of the conference networks is the diversity of programming.  You can only show so much Texas stuff to so many Texas fans.

LHN may eventually make more money if Texas football gets better, but it will always be dwarfed by the big conference networks.  It doesn't have the programming, the audience, or the reach necessary to sustain a real network.  It's an not-very-successful experiment launched during the early period of college athletics network programming. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 10, 2014, 03:46:32 pm
I agree in part and disagree in part.  Texas will be good again--they have too many advantages too be terrible for a sustained period of time.

I disagree about Longhorn Network, though.  The problem with LHN, and why it ultimately won't be the success that Texas and ESPN hoped, is that the premises for such a network is flawed.  The conference networks will work because they have a multi-state, even multi-region, reach.  A single, geographically-bound school like Texas doesn't.  Although Texas has major markets, it doesn't have much reach, and it doesn't even have much penetration in the markets it does have.  LHN is too narrow of a product to succeed--the strength of the conference networks is the diversity of programming.  You can only show so much Texas stuff to so many Texas fans.

LHN may eventually make more money if Texas football gets better, but it will always be dwarfed by the big conference networks.  It doesn't have the programming, the audience, or the reach necessary to sustain a real network.  It's an not-very-successful experiment launched during the early period of college athletics network programming. 

I can't see the lhn being successful in drawing ratings ANYWHERE but in tejas and only partly there. That deal was the epitome of tejas arrogance and espy stupidity. Someone at espy should have gotten fired over that deal.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Athog

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 28, 2014, 03:21:40 pm
They seem to think so.

Quotes from some UT boards

Full disclosure, I'm an Aggie and am posting this to get y'all's opinion on their confidence.  I believe there is no other team on earth you guys enjoy beating more than the Longhorns, but would you want to be conference-mates with them ever again?

BTW, I attended the game at Fayetteville last year and was very impressed by your campus... though I did get shin splints from all the hills.

Gig 'Em

T.

Yes!!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TPS_Report on June 28, 2014, 03:21:40 pm
They seem to think so.

Quotes from some UT boards

Full disclosure, I'm an Aggie and am posting this to get y'all's opinion on their confidence.  I believe there is no other team on earth you guys enjoy beating more than the Longhorns, but would you want to be conference-mates with them ever again?

BTW, I attended the game at Fayetteville last year and was very impressed by your campus... though I did get shin splints from all the hills.

Gig 'Em

T.
No.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on July 05, 2014, 07:24:28 pm

Conference records

Looks like a Boise St resume.

Good is the enemy of great