Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup KNOCKOUT STAGE - WHO WINS IT ALL?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 27, 2014, 09:08:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins it All?

Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
Colombia
Costa Rica
France
Germany
The Netherlands

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

NOPE.  Ballgame!

WOW WOW

Credit The Netherlands for not giving up.  Mexico got too overconfident, and stopped attacking.

The Netherlands - 2
Schneijder 88"
K. Jan 90 + 4"                                                                             

Mexico - 1
Dos Santos 48"

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

COSTA RICA
LINE-UP:

G
1   Keylor Navas
D
3   Giancarlo González
D
4   Michael Umaña
D
6   Óscar Duarte
D
15   Júnior Díaz
D
16   Cristian Gamboa
M
5   Celso Borges
M
7   Christian Bolaños
M
10   Bryan Ruiz
M
17   Yeltsin Tejeda
F
9   Joel Campbell

GREECE
LINE-UP:

G
1   Orestis Karnezis
D
4   Kostas Manolas
D
15   Vasileios Torosidis
D
19   Sokratis Papastathopoulos
D
20   José Cholevas
M
2   Ioannis Maniatis
M
10   Georgios Karagounis
M
14   Dimitris Salpigidis
M
16   Lazaros Christodoulopoulos
M
22   Andreas Samaris
F
7   Giorgos Samaras
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

I've been so wrong predicting games, I've got to toot my own horn a little:

Quote from: Notshavin on June 29, 2014, 12:46:44 am
Mexico vs. The Netherlands 11:00 a.m. CST

Costa Rica vs. Greece 3:00 p.m. CST

My predictions:

El Tri makes a valiant effort, but just falls short 2-1.  Dos Santos scores for Mexico first, but then Van Persie and Robben each add a goal in the 2nd half.

Costa Rica sends Greece packing fairly easily, 3-0.

razorJAcker

Quote from: Notshavin on June 29, 2014, 03:13:34 pm
I've been so wrong predicting games, I've got to toot my own horn a little:

LOL, good call.

Dr. Starcs

razorJAcker

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 29, 2014, 03:58:53 pm
I didn't see robben or van persie score?  Lol

Ha.  Robben did get the penalty so I'll give him half credit.  :D

That was painful to watch.  Greece dragging the Ticos into a street fight. 

One spectacular save by Costa Rica's Navas, using his reflexes and leg to redirect the shot which would have been a goal.

The winner of this match plays The Netherlands and will get blasted by the Dutch if they play like this.

And there is Costa Rica with a BRILLIANT placed strike.

razorJAcker

This just got interesting.  Duarte with a boneheaded challenge, his second yellow of the game, and suddenly Costa Rica are playing with 10 men.

razorJAcker

Referee has a quick trigger with the yellow card in this one.  Several have been handed out.

Costa Rican gets 2nd yellow.

Los Ticos playing with 10 men.

Greece playing with 10 men and one 6'3" Jesus Christ at forward.

Quote from: razorJAcker on June 29, 2014, 04:34:04 pm
Referee has a quick trigger with the yellow card in this one.  Several have been handed out.

Yep

How many times are we going to see this happen in this World Cup?

I've never seen so many goals in stoppage time to tie games, or go ahead.

Absolutely amazing.

You have to dig deep now if you are CR

razorJAcker

Greece nearly wins it but a spectacular save by the Costa Rican keeper keeps it tied.  Costa Rica have a huge hill to climb now down 10 men going into extra time.  Greece has surprised me with how well they've played.

razorJAcker

Quote from: Notshavin on June 29, 2014, 04:52:13 pm
How many times are we going to see this happen in this World Cup?

I've never seen so many goals in stoppage time to tie games, or go ahead.

Absolutely amazing.

You have to dig deep now if you are CR

Yep, and it almost seems as if the worst position you can be in is up 1-0.  Nearly as many teams have lost from that position as have won.  Part of it is those teams start playing not to lose, which is the worst thing you can do, but still...

Dr. Starcs

Greece also seems to have the whiniest team I've seen.

Huckleberry Pig

The one in the first half was definitely a penalty and it was missed.  It evened out in the end

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 29, 2014, 04:58:24 pm
Greece also seems to have the whiniest team I've seen.

Greece Head Coach sent off for whining.

Costa Rica goes first:

Midfielder #5 Borges:
High, straight down the middle.  Goal.
Don't know why people kick it there, but it worked out.

Greece:

#9 Mitroglou....Goal

Costa Rica:

#3 Gonzalez hits it close, keeper almost got it.  Goal

Greece:

#20 Cholevas hard, high, to the right - Goal

Costa Rica:

#9 young star Campbell, looks exhausted
Low, hard to the left - just like they teach you

Greece:

#17 Gekas
CR Keeper, Keylor Navas, dives to his left to STOP IT.

Costa Rica:

#4 Umana
Goooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Costa Rica digs down and finds enough to get them to the quarterfinal

Wild Bill Hog

Los Ticos hanging tough and moving on which is totally fantastic.  Today was tense beyond description.

I'm very concerned about going against the Dutch, but then there are no easy matches any way you look at it at this point in the WC.

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 29, 2014, 11:03:17 pm
Los Ticos hanging tough and moving on which is totally fantastic.  Today was tense beyond description.

I'm very concerned about going against the Dutch, but then there are no easy matches any way you look at it at this point in the WC.

Costa Rica and Mexico have similar games, and we saw how the Mexicans gave the Dutch fits.  Their biggest mistake was going to the "prevent", and bringing in defensive substitutions.

Navas may be better than Ochoa, he had some game-saving saves today, including the save during the PKs.

I think the Ticos are a little more physical than Mexico.

By the way, this was today after the game in front of what we used to call the "Thunder Mall".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 12:10:17 am
Costa Rica and Mexico have similar games, and we saw how the Mexicans gave the Dutch fits.  Their biggest mistake was going to the "prevent", and bringing in defensive substitutions.

Navas may be better than Ochoa, he had some game-saving saves today, including the save during the PKs.

I think the Ticos are a little more physical than Mexico.

By the way, this was today after the game in front of what we used to call the "Thunder Mall".

Very nice.  Thanks for the pics you post.

cbhawg03

Initial thought is that CR gets blasted by Netherlands, but.......

I like the Netherlands when they play a team that controls possession leading to the Dutch using their speed on the counters. The Dutch will be able to control possession against CR, which I think keeps the scoring down, 2-0 or 2-1 Netherlands.

Also, CR was gassed at the end of that game last night, I think it will take its toll when they play the Dutch.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 08:44:17 am
Initial thought is that CR gets blasted by Netherlands, but.......

I like the Netherlands when they play a team that controls possession leading to the Dutch using their speed on the counters. The Dutch will be able to control possession against CR, which I think keeps the scoring down, 2-0 or 2-1 Netherlands.

Also, CR was gassed at the end of that game last night, I think it will take its toll when they play the Dutch.

they were gassed but they are also one of the more fit teams in the world cup, they should be able to recover a little better than some of the other teams

cbhawg03

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 30, 2014, 09:25:51 am
they were gassed but they are also one of the more fit teams in the world cup, they should be able to recover a little better than some of the other teams

They may be able to recover a little better than some of the other teams, but Greece is not the Dutch either, Robben, RVP and Sneijder.

JayBell

Brazil v. Chile
The Chileans have so much attacking talent, but Brazil is their boogey-country.  Brazil never loses at home and Chile never beats Brazil.  It's a tough break for Chile.

Colombia v. Uruguay
Colombia is arguably the best team in the tournament and James is the best young player.  Uruguay has become too reliant on Suarez.

Brazil v. Colombia
If anyone is going to beat Brazil in Brazil, you get the feeling it will either be Argentina or Colombia.  This could be the game of the tournament, at least up to that point.

JayBell

Netherlands v. Mexico
There is nothing more fun than watching Mexico lose when they think they're going to win.  Mexico had the wrong tactics after the goal.  The Netherlands have more talent, but always seem to struggle in the knockout rounds.  The Oranje deserved to go through, IMO.

Greece v. Costa Rica
The Greeks made the game ugly and Costa Rica made it difficult on themselves.  I think the better team went through, but Los Ticos expended valuable energy.

Netherlands v. Costa Rica
I'll be shocked if Costa Rica is able to recover and beat a much more talent Dutch team.  I think the Netherlands win this game comfortably.

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on June 30, 2014, 10:51:08 am
Netherlands v. Mexico
There is nothing more fun than watching Mexico lose when they think they're going to win.  Mexico had the wrong tactics after the goal.  The Netherlands have more talent, but always seem to struggle in the knockout rounds.  The Oranje deserved to go through, IMO.

Greece v. Costa Rica
The Greeks made the game ugly and Costa Rica made it difficult on themselves.  I think the better team went through, but Los Ticos expended valuable energy.

Netherlands v. Costa Rica
I'll be shocked if Costa Rica is able to recover and beat a much more talent Dutch team.  I think the Netherlands win this game comfortably.

As much love as there has been for Herrera, his choice of defending the lead came way to early for my liking and I am sure many others.

63' or so is when they went defensive. Just seemed to early and allowed the Dutch to have attack after attack.

cbhawg03

My prediction is France 4-0 or 3-1 and Germany 3-1 with Klose breaking the record of Rinaldo

JayBell

France v. Nigeria
Les Bleus have been firing on all cylinders through one of the weakest groups in the tournament and they get a gift in Nigeria in the Round of 16.  If Nigeria won, it'd be one of the biggest upsets in recent tournaments.

Germany v. Algeria
Germany will obviously be the favorites.  They are so much better than Algeria, but the Desert Foxes are fighting to right one of the biggest World Cup injustices.

France v. Germany
As good of a story as it would be for Algeria to win, a France/Germany quarterfinal would be epic.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Les Blues made it to the semifinals to face Brazil or Colombia.

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 11:03:57 amMy prediction is France 4-0 or 3-1 and Germany 3-1 with Klose breaking the record of Rinaldo

I think both France and Germany could win 3-1.

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 10:58:01 amAs much love as there has been for Herrera, his choice of defending the lead came way to early for my liking and I am sure many others.

Herrera has been fantastic for El Tri, but you're not going to get any sympathy from me when you double down on an @$$hole like Rafa Marquez for your captain.

JayBell

Argentina v. Switzerland
Messi.  Messi.  Messi.  Argentina has defensive issues, but they also have Messi.  The Albiceleste may need to score 5 goals to win it, but they'll score however many they need to.

US v. Belgium
I think the US has every chance to beat Belgium, who have been underwhelming so far.

Argentina v. US/Belgium
I just want the US to get to this point.  Anything else would be gravy.  It's going to be difficult to beat Messi in this tournament.  It looks like 1986 all over again.

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on June 30, 2014, 11:09:44 am
Argentina v. Switzerland
Messi.  Messi.  Messi.  Argentina has defensive issues, but they also have Messi.  The Albiceleste may need to score 5 goals to win it, but they'll score however many they need to.

US v. Belgium
I think the US has every chance to beat Belgium, who have been underwhelming so far.

Argentina v. US/Belgium
I just want the US to get to this point.  Anything else would be gravy.  It's going to be difficult to beat Messi in this tournament.  It looks like 1986 all over again.

I give the US or Belgium every chance to beat Argentina. Argentina is a one man show so far and it will cost them soon even as good as Messi is.

cbhawg03

Liking the American ref for the France Nigeria game, but don't like the fact of how many fouls are being given on Lloris. Just because he jumps on top of 2 or 3 guys doesn't mean it is a foul.

cbhawg03

That bear hug Evra gave the Nigerian player on the corner should have been a penalty.

I could careless if the guy has a chance to get to the ball, you can't just hold someone down by hugging them.

cbhawg03

France looks like a different team than the group stage France. I know Nigeria is playing better, but still this game should be over.

Maybe this will keep the trend going of one game each day going to penalties and another ending after 90

razorJAcker

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 11:40:41 am
That bear hug Evra gave the Nigerian player on the corner should have been a penalty.

I could careless if the guy has a chance to get to the ball, you can't just hold someone down by hugging them.

I didn't see the play in question, but I agree with the principle.  A foul is a foul is a foul.  If the attacking player is going to lose possession, then be smarter and don't foul him.  It was the same thing with the Robben penalty yesterday.

cbhawg03

Quote from: razorJAcker on June 30, 2014, 12:14:49 pm
I didn't see the play in question, but I agree with the principle.  A foul is a foul is a foul.  If the attacking player is going to lose possession, then be smarter and don't foul him.  It was the same thing with the Robben penalty yesterday.

Midway through the 1st 45 or so, I'm watching when I can while at work, but all Evra did was just bear hug the guy and keep him on the ground.

Hogsooey

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 12:16:27 pm
Midway through the 1st 45 or so, I'm watching when I can while at work, but all Evra did was just bear hug the guy and keep him on the ground.

Yep. And while the NGA player may not have been able to reach the ball, he was still making an attempt. Hard to get to the ball when you are getting held down. FRA is also lucky not to be playing a man down. I thought that was a straight red for the FRA player.

JayBell

I don't know what France is doing, but Nigeria has slowly been getting better and better since getting manhandled by the US a month ago.  The Super Eagles drew with Iran, then beat BIH in one of the most boring games of the tournament and then went back and forth with Argentina in one of the more exciting games of the tournament.

France needs to step it up or Nigeria is going to steal this game away.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 30, 2014, 12:20:04 pm
Yep. And while the NGA player may not have been able to reach the ball, he was still making an attempt. Hard to get to the ball when you are getting held down. FRA is also lucky not to be playing a man down. I thought that was a straight red for the FRA player.

Yes. Should have been a penalty and that guy should have got a Red, think it was Matuidi

cbhawg03

That is what happens when you play one of the better sides, they just play with their head up their butt and let you stay in the game and then turn it on and your down 2-0.

Harsh result for Nigeria, but this was always going to be a tough match for Nigeria.

Huckleberry Pig

yep.  It was like France decided in the final 15 - okay we are ready to play now.  Once they turned it on, Nigeria didn't stand a chance. 

FRA will have to play like that for a full 90 against ze Germans.

Good game, too bad for Nigeria that the same guy keeping them in the game, then made a bonehead play and cost them the game.  Enyeama had some spectacular saves, but when you come out on a cross you HAVE to either come up with the ball, or punch it out of bounds.

France - 2

Paul Pogba 79'

Nigeria - 0

Joseph Yobo 90' +2' OG

Next game: 

Germany vs. Algeria

Germany
Line-up:

G
   1    Manuel Neuer

D
   4    Benedikt Höwedes

D
   17    Per Mertesacker

D
   20    Jérome Boateng

D
   21    Shkodran Mustafi

M
   7    Bastian Schweinsteiger

M
   16    Philipp Lahm

M
   18    Toni Kroos

F
   8    Mesut Özil

F
   13    Thomas Müller

F
   19    Mario Götze

Algeria
Line-up:

G
   23    Rais M'Bolhi

D
   3    Faouzi Ghoulam

D
   4    Esseid Belkalem

D
   5    Rafik Halliche

D
   20    Aissa Mandi

M
   8    Medhi Lacen

M
   10    Sofiane Feghouli

M
   19    Saphir Taïder

M
   22    Mehdi Mostefa

F
   13    Islam Slimani

F
   15    El Arabi Soudani

Germany should win this game with whatever combination or formation they use at forward, but I have to question not starting Klose.  Get that first goal and then build on that, instead of the other way around.

Algeria is a very physical team and the heat will not bother them.

The only chance they have is keeping it scoreless and then going to PK's.

Algerians attacking and Germany's consistency with holding their back line has nullified at least 2 goals by the Algerians.

Germany better come up with a different game plan because they are getting beat on the counter-attack

I would have rather have seen Klose and Podolski(Podolski and Schweinsteiger play really well together) to start off the game.

Finally Germany showing some signs of life.

Hogsooey

Algeria has had a few good chances to score so far. Outplaying Germany through 20 minutes. Gotta put one away if you want to beat Germany though. (They did put one away but it was a bit offside.)

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 03:20:11 pm
Algerians attacking and Germany's consistency with holding their back line has nullified at least 2 goals by the Algerians.

Germany better come up with a different game plan because they are getting beat on the counter-attack

I would have rather have seen Klose and Podolski(Podolski and Schweinsteiger play really well together) to start off the game.

Finally Germany showing some signs of life.

Ballack said Podolski is hurt - didn't say to what extent. Klose was hurt before the World Cup, too, so I suspect there are concerns about his fitness to play big minutes.

Dr. Starcs

I've seen Algeria get more chances in the first 20 minutes than the USA got in 90.