Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup KNOCKOUT STAGE - WHO WINS IT ALL?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 27, 2014, 09:08:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins it All?

Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
Colombia
Costa Rica
France
Germany
The Netherlands

cbhawg03

I think that we would have put 1 or 2 of those chances that Switzerland have had in the back of the net and we can just shadow Messi like everybody else is doing.

Fort Dweller

Wow.  What a run.  Messi just embarrassed them.  Fantastic.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

cbhawg03

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 12:45:54 pm
Wow.  What a run.  Messi just embarrassed them.  Fantastic.

I didn't see it, but this is my point and something that is not being given enough importance.

Wow. What a run. Messi this or Messi that. It is only Messi..............

Fort Dweller

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 01:03:47 pm
I didn't see it, but this is my point and something that is not being given enough importance.

I think everyone agreed with your point.  I even stated they should be up 4-0 but no one can finish these perfect crosses or passes.

But, to comment on the run.  He was hemmed up and 2 on 1.  He not only managed to escape with Ronaldo-esque dribbling, he gave a perfect set up.

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

cbhawg03

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 01:07:01 pm
I think everyone agreed with your point.  I even stated they should be up 4-0 but no one can finish these perfect crosses or passes.

But, to comment on the run.  He was hemmed up and 2 on 1.  He not only managed to escape with Ronaldo-esque dribbling, he gave a perfect set up.

Not paying attention as much, so my fault there. At work, trying to talk with you guys about the games and watch the games.

Switzerland looks really fit and keep their defense packed, going to be hard to get a goal for Argentina at this point as Switzerland is mainly just countering for what I have seen. PKs it is IMO

I have always like Cristano more than Messi, but I think this tournament is turning my opinion. Growing tired of the whining of Cristano and Messi had been putting on a clinic. Neither have any help whatsoever though.

cbhawg03

Haven't seen a difference between Portugal and Argentina so far this tournament other then the obvious, Argentina advanced and Cristano was not 100% fit so he hasn't displayed his talent like Messi has, but both need some serious help.

cbhawg03

One good thing about this game is it will wear out the winner for the next game some and the fact that the longer is goes the better it helps with our nerves for the US game. Takes your mind off the US game longer

The Boar War

Again I love it when the team that plays nothing but defense for 118 minutes gives up a goal in the final minute.

The Boar War

The Swiss embarrassed themselves

If you're capable of playing that well for five minutes play that way as long as you can.  Don't play for penalty kicks.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Argentina up 1-0 but the Swiss not giving in.  Their keeper up playing on offense..

One last free kick..

Game over

Argentina 1

Di Maria 118"

Switzerland 0
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

cbhawg03

Quote from: The Boar War on July 01, 2014, 01:29:31 pm
Again I love it when the team that plays nothing but defense for 118 minutes gives up a goal in the final minute.

This is usually the thought that I have as well. If you just defend, defend, defend the goal usually comes anyways.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 01:03:47 pm

It's because only he can do what he does.

If you watch video of him, it's his ability to see the play evolve before everyone else does that makes him so good.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

July 01, 2014, 07:21:36 pm #162 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:48:02 am by Notshavin
Fri, Jul 4th:
France vs. Germany
ESPN2, ESPN3 11:00 AM CST

Brazil vs. Colombia
ESPN3, ESPN    3:00 PM CST

Sat. Jul 5th
Argentina vs. Belgium
ABC, ESPN311:00 AM CST

The Netherlands vs. Costa Rica
ESPN3, ESPN3:00 PM CT

Colombia is really the team to beat right now, IMO.  They really play a beautiful brand of soccer, and they have a rising superstar goal-scorer in James Rodriguez.  If Brazil gets past them, I don't see anyone beating Brazil.

JayBell

Pretty epic quarterfinals, save for the Netherlands and Costa Rica.  You would wager that any of the other seven teams could win it all.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on July 03, 2014, 08:50:38 am
Pretty epic quarterfinals, save for the Netherlands and Costa Rica.  You would wager that any of the other seven teams could win it all.

Agreed.  I'll stick with my early darkhorse - Columbia!

JayBell

I'm thinking France gets past Germany the Netherlands beat Costa Rica.  The winner of Brazil and Colombia will be favored over the European opponent.

That will set up an interesting dynamic for Argentina and Belgium, which will be the final match of the quarters.  South American teams famously do well in South American tournaments.  I know everybody is down on La Albiceleste, but I just don't see Messi letting them lose to anyone.  This is his World Cup.  Argentina is still my pick.

DukeOfPork

I still have Brazil.  Unoriginal, but they're going to be tough to beat on home soil.  They've already had their close call with Chile. 

Fort Dweller

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

yraciv

Quiet in here today! Quite a strike there by Luiz.

Dr. Starcs

Wonder what the u.s. tv ratings were for today's games?

Hogsooey

54 fouls in the BRA-COL match. Ridiculous. There were some rough fouls, too, but the ref pretty much kept his cards in his pocket. Took a lot away from the game in my opinion.

I stumbled upon this article below. It seems Brazil avoided this strategy in group play, but it has picked it up in the knockout stages.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/joga-foulnita-72a1425a730e

Wild Bill Hog

Brazil will miss Neymar in a big way.  No reason for it to have happened - thuggery at its worst.

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on July 04, 2014, 07:58:13 pm
Brazil will miss Neymar in a big way.  No reason for it to have happened - thuggery at its worst.

And I know people who complain about flopping looked at that and did the same.  Ye, people in other countries are more dramatic than in America, but he frieaking cracked is verterbrae.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 04, 2014, 05:03:22 pm
Wonder what the u.s. tv ratings were for today's games?

Who cares?  U.S. is out.  It's the worlds' most popular game.  Their ratings overall will be fine.

And btw, Will Bill Hog, my heart wants the Ticos to win this sooooo bad!  I can't tell you how many friends calling me, on fb, just going nuts.  Biggest thing to happen to this country....EVER.

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.  I don't think the Ticos, as hard as they play and as far as they've come - I don't see them containing Robben, Van Persie and in this game Scniejder esepcially.  The Oranje will counter attack with a vengance.  I think it will be a close, high scoring game, but I think the Dutch pull away in the end 4-2.

Hogsooey

The Belgium coach sounding bitter after losing to Argentina. Says they "were not impressed by the Argentinians," calls them "ordinary," said Messi gets all the calls, and criticized Argentina for how many shots they had. Pretty hilarious considering Belgium barely had a decent shot on goal all game. Guess a higher line than the USA played and tighter spaces to operate in were just too much for him/Belgium to deal with.

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 03, 2014, 11:23:22 am
I still have Brazil.  Unoriginal, but they're going to be tough to beat on home soil.  They've already had their close call with Chile. 

No offense, but it doesn't matter who Brazil brings in for Neymar or Silva, their bench players would start on every other team(exceprt for Messi and Ronald0), it doen's matter who they start, no one is beating them. No batter how bad they play, they'll step up and get the goal/result when needed.  That's how they play.  They don't lose and have the talent to playe that way.

Dr. Starcs

If nobody cares about the u.s ratings, then why were so many so quick to boast about the us/belgium ratings in this country?

Can't have it both ways.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 03:05:26 pm
If nobody cares about the u.s ratings, then why were so many so quick to boast about the us/belgium ratings in this country?

Can't have it both ways.

Bc it helps but by no means is an indicator of popularity of soccer as a whole  in U.S., anymore than the Superbowl ratings are of the NFL in the season.  Get it?

Move on.  See ya in 4 years.

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 02:49:54 pm
No offense, but it doesn't matter who Brazil brings in for Neymar or Silva, their bench players would start on every other team(exceprt for Messi and Ronald0), it doen's matter who they start, no one is beating them. No batter how bad they play, they'll step up and get the goal/result when needed.  That's how they play.  They don't lose and have the talent to playe that way.

Who on Brazil's bench are you taking over the attacking players in Germany's starting lineup?

Hogsooey

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 03:05:26 pm

Can't have it both ways.

I don't really care.  Anyway, you are going to have to do some digging to find the cable ratings from yesterday.  But, the ratings for some other knockout matches are out.  I did find this about some of the other earlier knockout matches.

"Mexico's last-minute loss to the Netherlands on Sunday scored Univision its most watched telecast ever with 10.4 million viewers. It blasts past any previous U.S. Spanish-language broadcast, eclipsing the previous high (9 million) Univision set in 2007 with telenova...

The Brazil-Chile match averaged a 3.8 households rating and 6.14 million viewers. That's the biggest non-U.S. team soccer game for either ABC or ESPN.

The cable network also scored with Netherlands vs. Mexico on Sunday morning, though not as highly as Univision. ESPN averaged a 4.0 household rating and nearly 6.6 million viewers. The victory for Costa Rica over Greece proved to be almost as great of a draw, averaging a 3.9 rating and 6.4 million viewers."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/world-cup-ratings-mexico-loss-715730

Dr. Starcs

Thank you hogsooey for at least bringing some facts to the discussion.

Notshavin' I guess I'd be frustrated too if my team was so bad at the worlds "greatest game". But no need to take it out on people who actually did watch.

yraciv

Unreal! Los Ticos just won't go down without a fight.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 05:38:43 pm
Except a goal

No, it had several of them.  Go back to fat boys and helmets' section.

Quote from: Hogsooey on July 05, 2014, 03:23:12 pm
I don't really care.  Anyway, you are going to have to do some digging to find the cable ratings from yesterday.  But, the ratings for some other knockout matches are out.  I did find this about some of the other earlier knockout matches.

"Mexico's last-minute loss to the Netherlands on Sunday scored Univision its most watched telecast ever with 10.4 million viewers. It blasts past any previous U.S. Spanish-language broadcast, eclipsing the previous high (9 million) Univision set in 2007 with telenova...

The Brazil-Chile match averaged a 3.8 households rating and 6.14 million viewers. That's the biggest non-U.S. team soccer game for either ABC or ESPN.

The cable network also scored with Netherlands vs. Mexico on Sunday morning, though not as highly as Univision. ESPN averaged a 4.0 household rating and nearly 6.6 million viewers. The victory for Costa Rica over Greece proved to be almost as great of a draw, averaging a 3.9 rating and 6.4 million viewers."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/world-cup-ratings-mexico-loss-715730

Again, it doesn't matter.  There are more kids watching soccer year 'round than just during the big tourneys, that NBC is showing the Premiereship league games on Sat...

That says much more.  Again, grass roots.

Old men who hate soccer because all they ever played was "Y" is disappearing. 

Deal with it.

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, go back and check the time of the post. It was after 120 minutes of scoreless "action".

But lets not let facts get in the way of your argument.

And pretty sure the "fat boys and helmets" sport is a significant part of your radio job, no?  I can't imagine any significant segment of your audience that would want to hear about 90% soccer conversation.

Again, I think you're just not objective here because the Americans are just average in this "beautiful" sport.

Quote from: Hogsooey on July 05, 2014, 03:14:28 pm
Who on Brazil's bench are you taking over the attacking players in Germany's starting lineup?

Jo', and whoever else they have on that bench.  Trust me, they are better.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 06:37:55 pm
Yeah, go back and check the time of the post. It was after 120 minutes of scoreless "action".

But lets not let facts get in the way of your argument.

And pretty sure the "fat boys and helmets" sport is a significant part of your radio job, no?  I can't imagine any significant segment of your audience that would want to hear about 90% soccer conversation.

Again, I think you're just not objective here because the Americans are just average in this "beautiful" sport.

Why do you have such a burr up your butt?

Dr. Starcs

I take offense, as I'm sure you all would, when someone tells me how to feel, what to do, and where to go.

Hogsooey

Here are some more numbers. 

"ESPN's presentation of Friday's Brazil vs. Colombia match, a 2-1 Brazil victory at Estadio Catelao in Fortaleza, was seen by an average audience of 6,349,000 viewers based on a 3.6 fast national rating, according to Nielsen, making it the most-watched FIFA World Cup quarterfinal match across all networks in the United States. The viewership surpassed the previous high for a World Cup quarterfinal: 5,714,000 viewers for ABC's Argentina vs. Germany broadcast on July 3, 2010 in South Africa."

"The earlier match on Friday (France vs. Germany on ESPN2) delivered an average audience of 4,889,000 viewers and a 2.9 rating."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/05/brazil-colombia-draws-6-3-million-viewers-most-watched-fifa-world-cup-quarterfinal-match-on-espn-espn2-or-abc/279687/

I'll admit I don't know anything about TV ratings.  But, I saw that college football games average out to around 2.2.  Alabama led the way with a 3.9.  So, these world cup matches seemed to be doing pretty well, especially considering the first match is at 9 am here on the west coast.

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 06:40:13 pm
Jo', and whoever else they have on that bench.  Trust me, they are better.

Considering I"d take various German starters over Brazil's starters, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Anyway, what I have seen of the bench guys that have played or currently play for Shakhtar, Chelsea, or in the Russian Premier League hasn't convinced me that they are more quality than various German starters. 

I think Brazil is very talented... defensively.  That includes the defensive capabilities of a guy like Fernandinho, who played very well against Colombia.    The home field advantage and their defensive capabilities still make them the favorites in my opinion.  I have questions about Germany's backline outside of Lahm (assuming he plays there - I think he will) and Hummels.

Quote from: Hogsooey on July 05, 2014, 10:59:08 pm
Considering I"d take various German starters over Brazil's starters, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Anyway, what I have seen of the bench guys that have played or currently play for Shakhtar, Chelsea, or in the Russian Premier League hasn't convinced me that they are more quality than various German starters. 

I think Brazil is very talented... defensively.  That includes the defensive capabilities of a guy like Fernandinho, who played very well against Colombia.    The home field advantage and their defensive capabilities still make them the favorites in my opinion.  I have questions about Germany's backline outside of Lahm (assuming he plays there - I think he will) and Hummels.

Not a bad argument.  Should be a good game.  I think Brazil's individual skills(which tent to affect more the offensive game) will outdo the Germans.  But this may be a case of this being the true final.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 04:03:11 pm
Thank you hogsooey for at least bringing some facts to the discussion.

Notshavin' I guess I'd be frustrated too if my team was so bad at the worlds "greatest game". But no need to take it out on people who actually did watch.

I'm frustrated at your trolling and I would highly suggest you take a break.

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 11:12:07 pm
From the article cited by HogSooey:
Certainly the numbers are trending upwards - that is surely a positive sign.  However, with Fox holding the broadcast rights to the 2018 WC, we'll have to see how their effort(s) impact the quality of the broadcasts. 

Grrrrreat....we'll get to see the "Robot soccer guy, lol"....words cannot describe how awful their graphics are..

Hogsooey

July 05, 2014, 11:32:45 pm #196 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:44:29 pm by Hogsooey
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 11:12:07 pm
From the article cited by HogSooey:
Certainly the numbers are trending upwards - that is surely a positive sign.  However, with Fox holding the broadcast rights to the 2018 WC, we'll have to see how their effort(s) impact the quality of the broadcasts. 

And, the time difference won't help. My wife's city is one of the host cities and it is a 13-14 hour difference from pacific time. Moscow is I think 11-12 from pacific time.  Edit: Never mind about the noon start time, that was wrong. A later at night start time, say 7 pm their time, would at least give the east coast a decent starting time.

Dr. Starcs

You can read for yourself notshavins remarks and suggestions towards me.

"Move on, see ya in 4 years, deal with it, go back to fat boys and helmets".

And those are 4 separate posts just in this thread alone.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 11:47:23 pm
You can read for yourself notshavins remarks and suggestions towards me.

"Move on, see ya in 4 years, deal with it, go back to fat boys and helmets".

And those are 4 separate posts just in this thread alone.

Yes.  Translation:  Stop trolling.

Dr. Starcs

Dude, I'm just responding to his question.