Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup KNOCKOUT STAGE - WHO WINS IT ALL?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 27, 2014, 09:08:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins it All?

Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
Colombia
Costa Rica
France
Germany
The Netherlands

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 30, 2014, 03:23:03 pm
Ballack said Podolski is hurt - didn't say to what extent. Klose was hurt before the World Cup, too, so I suspect there are concerns about his fitness to play big minutes.

Thanks, I missed that.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorJAcker

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 03:28:29 pm
I've seen Algeria get more chances in the first 20 minutes than the USA got in 90.

I'd say Algeria accomplished that in the first 10 minutes.

Algeria's goalkeeper with the save of the game so far on that rebound.

Algeria is going to find themselves down a man if they keep hacking like that, though.  If they can settle down, they have a real chance at beating Germany here.

Very entertaining game so far, though.  Germany tugging at their shorts, and Algeria still looks fresh in minute 44...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Dr. Starcs

I ask this in all seriousness and ignorance: does an Algeria win not bode well for us tomorrow?  Or does it have any effect?

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 03:58:19 pm
I ask this in all seriousness and ignorance: does an Algeria win not bode well for us tomorrow?  Or does it have any effect?

no effect.  germany is on the opposite side of the bracket.

Dr. Starcs

I meant in terms of mindset. Seeing as we lost to Germany and Algeria lost to Belgium. Would that affect us?

razorJAcker

I thought Germany might make some adjustments at halftime to cut down on the Algerian attack, but Algeria looks just as threatening to begin the 2nd half as they did in the first.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 04:06:09 pm
I meant in terms of mindset. Seeing as we lost to Germany and Algeria lost to Belgium. Would that affect us?

No, in the World Cup it really is about match-ups.  I was really glad we got Belgium and not Algeria.  They are not a good match-up for us, just like they are showing Germany.  They are typical of an African team, that will drag you into a street-fight and can beat you with one counter-attack.

It won't mean anything who wins today to us.  It's all about that next game.

We should be able to take it to Belgium, but in this W.C. you never know.

Quote from: razorJAcker on June 30, 2014, 04:11:13 pm
I thought Germany might make some adjustments at halftime to cut down on the Algerian attack, but Algeria looks just as threatening to begin the 2nd half as they did in the first.

Yeah, same here.

Algeria may have more chances overall, but I think Germany's will steadily get higher in quality and they will eventually put one in the back of the net.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 04:18:37 pm
Algeria may have more chances overall, but I think Germany's will steadily get higher in quality and they will eventually put one in the back of the net.

This. Algeria can have 1,000 chances, Klose is going to come on and with one moment it will be 1-0 and he will have the record. Quality > Quantity

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 04:26:02 pm
This. Algeria can have 1,000 chances, Klose is going to come on and with one moment it will be 1-0 and he will have the record. Quality > Quantity

Yeah, they are knocking at the door...

cbhawg03

What in the world was that?

Muller has always had the geeky look and well the fall didn't help

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 04:46:05 pm
What in the world was that?

Muller has always had the geeky look and well the fall didn't help

LOL, I know.  I'm still trying to figure out if that was on purpose or not.  The crowd was laughing.

What an entertaining game, though!

Who says a 0-0 game can't be exciting??

cbhawg03

If I am coaching Algeria, then I keep my team how it is and then bring in two guys about 5 minutes into stoppage and go for the deadly counter and then just all out defend until the final whistle.

That's the way you come out on a corner.

Well, Algeria pushing them to the brink

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 04:48:54 pm
LOL, I know.  I'm still trying to figure out if that was on purpose or not.  The crowd was laughing.

What an entertaining game, though!

Who says a 0-0 game can't be exciting??

At work so only getting to watch parts, but I'm glad I caught that. Best moment of World Cup so far. Schweinsteiger was running in a circle and Muller was falling down

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 04:50:37 pm
If I am coaching Algeria, then I keep my team how it is and then bring in two guys about 5 minutes into stoppage and go for the deadly counter and then just all out defend until the final whistle.

Yep.  PKs is an unbelievable chance to advance for Algeria

cbhawg03

I can't believe Lowe didn't bring on Klose, especially since Germany always gets chances and Klose always finds a way to put one in.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 04:51:50 pm
Yep.  PKs is an unbelievable chance to advance for Algeria

Neuer is good, but I think more in game good, like coming out to knock balls away on crosses and then coming way out of box, I think Algeria keeper would be better on Pks, but Germany has huge advantage in skill in taking PKs.

Huckleberry Pig

Almost positive Mullers fall was on purpose, but not 100%.  Weird either way haha

Only got to catch the end but a very entertaining game, would love to see Algeria with the huge upset!

Hogsooey

Exciting 90 minutes. While Germany had the better 2nd half, Neuer saved Germany's slow back line on more than one occasion by coming way off his line.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 04:16:20 pm

We should be able to take it to Belgium, but in this W.C. you never know.

I just cannot fathom this level of confidence.

Belgium are definitely the favored team.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 30, 2014, 03:23:03 pm
Ballack said Podolski is hurt - didn't say to what extent. 

Podolski is an Arsenal player.  Of course he is hurt.

Hogsooey

Schurrle with a clever touch to put Germany up 1-0.

Quote from: DukeOfPork on June 30, 2014, 04:57:25 pm
I just cannot fathom this level of confidence.

Belgium are definitely the favored team.

Yes, but I don't think they aren't playing well .  I think the game is ours for the taking.

Schurrle with a beautiful goal, let's the cross go between his legs, and then hits it with his back heel.

1-0 Germany

Schurrle 95"

This is why Germany is the soccer powerhouse that they are.  They are not panicking, they continue to attack and they trust their D and their keeper.

Algeria has thrown everything at them.

I expect Germany to maintain this lead or get one more.

Good no-call there on the breakaway by Algeria.

Algeria has nothing left.

Finally....Germany puts them away.

Ozil 119"

2-0

Hogsooey

Die Mannschaft going through to the quarters. That's 16 consecutive World Cup quarters (or equivalent thereto).

Algeria with a great goal.

Djabou 120"

Finally whistle blows.

Germany 2

Schurrle 95"
Ozil 119"

Algeria 1

Djabou 120"

In this world cup, it seems like at times the only way to score is right after your opponent does..

Wild Bill Hog

Two great games today.  Maybe not the best from a technical standpoint, but exciting to the max IMO.  All four teams played aggressively.  No one was playing "not to lose".  Lots of heart across the board.  Refs did a pretty good job and let them play.

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 30, 2014, 05:54:12 pm
Two great games today.  Maybe not the best from a technical standpoint, but exciting to the max IMO.  All four teams played aggressively.  No one was playing "not to lose".  Lots of heart across the board.  Refs did a pretty good job and let them play.

Yeah, great games and I agree, refs did a great job of not inserting themselves into the outcome.

Saw some great goal-keeping, also.  Germany owes their win to their keeper, who came out several times to intercept the counter-attack when the D had been burned.  As much as Algeria was attacking, you never got the sense that Neuer was panicking.

Huckleberry Pig

Schurrle is one of my favorite players to watch.  Great speed and always gives 110%.  Very clever too

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 30, 2014, 08:57:44 pm
Schurrle is one of my favorite players to watch.  Great speed and always gives 110%.  Very clever too

He was the spark they needed.  Absolutely world class touch, unstoppable by the keeper.

Ended up being huge, too, with Algeria scoring in the last minute.

JayBell

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 30, 2014, 05:54:12 pmTwo great games today.  Maybe not the best from a technical standpoint, but exciting to the max IMO.  All four teams played aggressively.  No one was playing "not to lose".  Lots of heart across the board.  Refs did a pretty good job and let them play.

I expect that to continue for most of the remaining matches.  Argentina has no excuse but to attack and that is going to draw Switzerland out.  The US cannot sit back and hope for a result against Belgium.

In the quarterfinals, Colombia will take the game to Brazil more than Chile did.  France and Germany know each other too well for it to be a tight match.  The only match I'm worried about it, quality-wise, is Netherlands and Costa Rica.  Los Ticos will probably sit back a lot and make the Dutch uncomfortable.

Quote from: JayBell on June 30, 2014, 10:21:26 pm
I expect that to continue for most of the remaining matches.  Argentina has no excuse but to attack and that is going to draw Switzerland out.  The US cannot sit back and hope for a result against Belgium.

In the quarterfinals, Colombia will take the game to Brazil more than Chile did.  France and Germany know each other too well for it to be a tight match.  The only match I'm worried about it, quality-wise, is Netherlands and Costa Rica.  Los Ticos will probably sit back a lot and make the Dutch uncomfortable.

Who'd of thought a few weeks ago we'd be having this conversation with the U.S. being right in the middle of it?

Can't wait until tomorrow...

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 09:14:43 pm
He was the spark they needed.  Absolutely world class touch, unstoppable by the keeper.

Ended up being huge, too, with Algeria scoring in the last minute.

couldn't have said it better.  He is definitely a "spark" player.  I always enjoy seeing a professional athlete go out and give 110% and seeing his teammates respond to it

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 30, 2014, 10:21:26 pm

I think the FRA v GER game has the chance to be a high scoring affair.  Both D's have obvious holes and both D's are facing offenses that are significantly better than they faced in their previous game. 

I think Columbia has a real chance to win this game.  Again, Brazil's D has holes and this will be the best offense they've faced. 

Dr. Starcs

So as a novice, what would you guys say is the main decider in determining an outcome for a match (I.e. time of possession, corner kicks, etc)? In other words, what can we look at during a match to kind of gauge who is in control?

(Besides the obvious "whoever scores the most goals)

cbhawg03

The key is when you get a corner to actually play the ball into the box and can you pass that long to all other World Cup teams?

Quit playing a short corner that leads to a shot from out from that goes 20 yards wide and 20 feet to high.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 01, 2014, 11:02:42 am
So as a novice, what would you guys say is the main decider in determining an outcome for a match (I.e. time of possession, corner kicks, etc)? In other words, what can we look at during a match to kind of gauge who is in control?

(Besides the obvious "whoever scores the most goals)

I would say possession. Well, we need more possession, but not necessarily much more, but just better possession. If we have better possession then we will have more possession that previous games. We can't just give the ball away like we have been at times. Go back to Portugal game and play like we did that game and we can win, except for giving up that early crap goal and the last second goal.

JayBell

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 01, 2014, 11:02:42 amSo as a novice, what would you guys say is the main decider in determining an outcome for a match (I.e. time of possession, corner kicks, etc)? In other words, what can we look at during a match to kind of gauge who is in control?

I don't think there is a clear indicator.  Possession may seem to indicate which team is in control of the game, but many teams deploy a counter attacking strategy that does not depend on possession.  That's why you'll often hear about a team scoring a goal "against the run of play."  They may have been sitting back on defense a lot while the other team kept the ball, but then they score on a counter attack or set piece or something.  The US scored against the run of play against Ghana, just as Portugal did against the US.

That's another reason that Americans can have trouble with soccer because results can often feel unfair.  A team may possess the ball for 90% of the match, hit the woodwork 10 times and be done in by one successful counter attack.

Then you have the philosophical debate about offense versus defense.  You'll still hear people saying that the US didn't deserve to win in the 2009 Confederations Cup against Spain.  Some say the US didn't deserve to beat Ghana two weeks ago.  That kind of stuff pisses me off because you're completely ignoring the role and the significance of the defensive players, especially the goalkeeper.

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on July 01, 2014, 11:14:26 am
I don't think there is a clear indicator.  Possession may seem to indicate which team is in control of the game, but many teams deploy a counter attacking strategy that does not depend on possession.  That's why you'll often hear about a team scoring a goal "against the run of play."  They may have been sitting back on defense a lot while the other team kept the ball, but then they score on a counter attack or set piece or something.  The US scored against the run of play against Ghana, just as Portugal did against the US.

That's another reason that Americans can have trouble with soccer because results can often feel unfair.  A team may possess the ball for 90% of the match, hit the woodwork 10 times and be done in by one successful counter attack.

Then you have the philosophical debate about offense versus defense.  You'll still hear people saying that the US didn't deserve to win in the 2009 Confederations Cup against Spain.  Some say the US didn't deserve to beat Ghana two weeks ago.  That kind of stuff pisses me off because you're completely ignoring the role and the significance of the defensive players, especially the goalkeeper.

Was it not Celtic that did it to Barca? I don't remember if it was Celtic, but it was Champions League when Barca got beat by a like 1 counter and people were all pissy about it.

ARGENTINA
LINE-UP:

G
1   Sergio Romero
D
2   Ezequiel Garay
D
4   Pablo Zabaleta
D
16   Marcos Rojo
D
17   Federico Fernández
M
5   Fernando Gago
M
7   Ángel Di María
M
10   Lionel Messi
M
14   Javier Mascherano
M
22   Ezequiel Lavezzi
F
9   Gonzalo Higuaín

SWITZERLAND
LINE-UP:

G
1   Diego Benaglio
D
2   Stephan Lichtsteiner
D
13   Ricardo Rodríguez
D
20   Johan Djourou
D
22   Fabian Schär
M
8   Gokhan Inler
M
10   Granit Xhaka
M
11   Valon Behrami
M
18   Admir Mehmedi
M
23   Xherdan Shaqiri
F
19   Josip Drmic

0-0 in the 64"

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

JayBell

Messi is just serving it up on a platter to his teammates...

What happened to Argentina?  They used to have 5,6 superstars on every national team.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: JayBell on July 01, 2014, 12:29:36 pm
So are La Albiceleste.

Yeah, but the Swiss can't mount an attack.

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 12:31:50 pm
Messi is just serving it up on a platter to his teammates...

What happened to Argentina?  They used to have 5,6 superstars on every national team.

He's scary good.  They should be up 4-0.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

cbhawg03

That was a huge save, between 2-3 different players legs.

This is why I said that Argentina will not last much longer, it is a one man show, Messi and all others. They could play with 7 or 8 and get the same result, give the ball to Messi and everybody else defend and Messi will get one here and there eventually.

I like the US chances against Argentina more than Belgium.