Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BA 8 for Omaha 2015

Started by ucahogfan, June 27, 2014, 05:26:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Hogs didn't make Fitt's top 25 for next year.  Meanwhile, Alabama made his 8 for Omaha.  Tennessee even made his top 25.  I can understand not having the Hogs in his top 8, but leaving us out of the top 25 all together tells me he didn't do adequate research.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eight-omaha-2015/

Hawk

That's fine. I hope the whole league underestimates us!

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hawk on June 27, 2014, 06:15:08 pm

This, use the underdog role as our advantage!

Dr. Starcs

Kevin

Shallow research.
Lost our best hitter
Lots of pitching.
Figures we cannot reload
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hawk on June 27, 2014, 06:15:08 pm
I can promise you that the SEC will not being overlooking the Hogs.  They know exactly who DVH has coming back and the players he has coming in.  Obviously Aaron Fitt doesn't know.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 27, 2014, 07:30:12 pm
Shallow research.
Lost our best hitter
Lots of pitching.
Figures we cannot reload
Someone tweeted at him about Arkansas and he said a lot of question marks there.  I tend to agree with him, but here are the knowns:

-  We get our entire starting OF back (although 2 are currently healing from injury) and add in a top 200 draft prospect who might be the most pure hitter going to college in his class.
-  We lose a starting C who had TJ and his bat suffered because of it, but the Hogs are bringing in a top 200 draft prospect who is currently hitting close to .300 against college pitching in California.
-  We return our starting SS and 3B, but DVH doesn't expect either one of them to be starting on opening day next year.  We return Brett McAfee who would have been a top 10 round pick this year if he didn't get injured.  We also bring in a top 500 draft prospect in Blake Wiggins who is known for his power.
-  We do lose our 1B and 2B and they were the big power hitters in the middle of the order.  We return Blake Baxendale and Clark Eagan who could both play 1B and they were 2 of our best hitters when they were given full time ABs.  Baxendale is sitting out the summer healing up and getting in better shape while Eagan is dominating the Northwoods League.  Who will play 2B is definitely the biggest question mark, but JUCO signee Rick Nomura is currently hitting over .340 in California.
-  We return our Friday night starter who turned out to be our staff ace.  He had 8 quality starts in SEC play if I'm remembering correctly which is probably more than any other SEC pitcher not named Aaron Nola.
-  We return the pitcher who took hold of the closing role at the end of the season who finally learned how to command the ball from his new arm slot.
-  We return a future 1st round pick who was in relief this year, but should move into the weekend rotation next year.
-  We also get 2 top 500 draft prospects on the mound to campus in Keaton McKinney and Jonah Patten.

With those givens, how could Fitt not put us in the top 25 at the very least?

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 27, 2014, 07:50:22 pm
With those givens, how could Fitt not put us in the top 25 at the very least?

You already answered a lot of what I'm going to say... but I'll plays devil's advocate and ask the questions

1. No body even close to an anchor in the lineup.  Everyone returning either hit 275 or less in SEC play or is a first year SEC player.  Yeah, Eagan and Bax were great when they played... but did they even play half the year?  Does that register with a national writer?  Should it? 

2. Lost your catcher who was a team leader.  I'm not sure that Gossar registers with him, and your main replacement is a freshman. 

3. Just to put this as a question - the answer to a lot of these questions is the freshmen coming in.  But how much can you count on a freshman?  Some produce quick, others not so much.  We will be thrilled if all the pitchers are as good as Killian right?  But how much help was he in SEC play as a freshman?

4. You return the left side of your infield.  They were both below average in the SEC.  That isn't top 25ish. You also return one more player who is only still in college because he can't stay healthy... so big whoop.

5. You return 3 pitchers that really made an impact last year.  2 of those were in the bullpen in short stints.  3 pitchers pitched a TON of innings in SEC play and only one of those returns.

I know that many people have said (myself included) that Arkansas could have 6+ people hit 300 next year.  And it isn't that far fetched when you go person by person.  There are lots of questions, but I think there is a TON of talent and lots of potential answers.

The issue is that there are 25 other teams that already have answers on campus.  They have guys going into their junior season who have hit 290+ in the SEC.  Or they have pitched in big games in the SEC.  Or they have the McKinney from last year who is ready to make a big leap this next year.

But Eagan wasn't that highly recruited and only played at the end of the year.  Baxendale has been on campus for two years and hasn't done too much. Serrano, Spoon, and McAfee are still on campus for a reason.  Bendentini is the one player you expect to be pretty good. Killian and Stone are probably the main (maybe only) two pitchers who stand out that you expect big things from.  The signing deadline hasn't passed so I doubt any incoming freshman was included. 

dotnet

To be clear, I look at it like the following:

Serrano/Spoon
Bendentini
Eagan
Bax
1 freshman hitter

Killian
Jackson
Taccolini
Stone
Teague
1 freshman pitcher

That right there can be enough to make this a border line top 25 team (ie. like this past year) ... with a whole lotta upside. 

But when you look at what is returning to campus as of right now... it makes perfect sense that you put quite a few other teams ahead of Arkansas.  There is a reason though that when you look at these lists there were only 2 of his top 8 that even made it to the CWS this past year. 

Its hard to factor in all of these things at all the other schools too.  He didn't have either of the Mississippi schools in there and I think they'll be pretty decent.  Same with A&M.  Wow, the league will be tough again. 

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 27, 2014, 05:26:12 pm
Hogs didn't make Fitt's top 25 for next year.  Meanwhile, Alabama made his 8 for Omaha.  Tennessee even made his top 25.  I can understand not having the Hogs in his top 8, but leaving us out of the top 25 all together tells me he didn't do adequate research.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eight-omaha-2015/
Pretty weak right there.  I would expect better from him but oh well

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Fitt swung and missed at a ball in the dirt, but it wasn't like the pitch was 2 foot off the plate. Can see how he doesn't put us in the top 25, but he is wrong! Everybody has a bad day at the plate every once in a while. We'll see what he thinks in late July or August, betting he gets it right next time.

hogman64

I think we will be stronger at every position next year except second base  and  First base is a toss up , remains to be seen... not only better at a lot of positions but quite a bit better and yes I think catcher will overall be improved next year, I will never say we cant improve a position that we lose a .150 hitter.  as for pitching we  have more innings coming back from our starters than we did this year and we have our closer  back which we didn't have coming into this year... as for the bench it should be wayyyyyyyy better next year.  Since we were a top 25 team this year how can anyone keep us out of preseason top 25 for next year?