Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA vs Belgium Game Thread (Tuesday @ 3pm ct)

Started by Huckleberry Pig, June 27, 2014, 02:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 01:59:54 pm
Are they going to do a 1 hr build up to the match?

I guess so.

A lot to talk about.

Klinsmann saying Jozy is on the bench.

He said

Howard

Johnson Besler Gonzales Beasley

Cameron       Bradley        Jones

Bedoya      Dempsey      Zusi

Well, this is the line-up.  I liked what Klinsmann was saying - he said he wants to bring Bradley and everyone else more forward.  Then I saw the line-up.  Trying to remain optimistic, but not having Beckerman in there means Bradley will be having to do too much defensive work.  Unless I'm missing something.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Belgium
Line-up:

G
   1    Thibaut Courtois

D
   2    Toby Alderweireld

D
   4    Vincent Kompany

D
   5    Jan Vertonghen

D
   15    Daniel van Buyten

M
   6    Axel Witsel

M
   7    Kevin De Bruyne

M
   8    Marouane Fellaini

M
   10    Eden Hazard

M
   14    Dries Mertens

F
   17    Divock Origi
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

I hope some of you guys can comment on our line-up before you head to your watch parties.

Btw, be SAFE out there, especially driving home!

cbhawg03

I think that Cameron will always hand back and look for Jones to hang back more as well, which will allow Bradley to help in the build up and up front. I don't necessarily like the idea, especially given Jones goal against Portugal, that thing was to good to be a fluke.

I personally haven't been awwed by Bedoya or Zusi, especially Zusi's crosses, but I sure don't want to see Davis back in the game either.

Need to attack Kompany, has injury concerns that could limit him and force Belgium into an early sub.

I would rather start with Jozy than finish with Jozy, being that if he can't go then you know early and have the subs to take him off, if you put him on late and something goes wrong then you could be stuck playing a man down, which is never good.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:27:21 pm
I would rather start with Jozy than finish with Jozy, being that if he can't go then you know early and have the subs to take him off, if you put him on late and something goes wrong then you could be stuck playing a man down, which is never good.

I agree with this.

razorJAcker

I'd rather see Yedlin in there instead of Zusi, who apart from the GW cross against Ghana has been very disappointing.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:14:04 pm
GK: Howard

Back line: Beasley    Besler    Gonzalez     Johnson

Midfield: Jones     Bradley     Cameron

Forwards: Zusi     Dempsey     Bedoya

Isn't this what we did against Portugal?  Press with Beasley and Johnson and slide Dempsey up center?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Fort Dweller

Quote from: razorJAcker on July 01, 2014, 02:33:02 pm
I'd rather see Yedlin in there instead of Zusi, who apart from the GW cross against Ghana has been very disappointing.

He's excelled in his role as a late sub though.  His speed against tired legs is a huge weapon.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

cbhawg03

Quote from: razorJAcker on July 01, 2014, 02:33:02 pm

Yes. Yedlin can't play enough IMO. He looks super fit, I would tell him to go out and hustle, hustle, hustle. Go back and forth as much as possible, tell him to get forward, but know that you have to sprint back to help. Play him for 60 minutes at a suicide pace and see where we are after that, I would think we would be in a good spot.

He brings so much pace into the game and then when Johnson can get forward as well, it just creates a lot of problems for teams.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 02:36:44 pm
Isn't this what we did against Portugal?  Press with Beasley and Johnson and slide Dempsey up center?

Don't recall formation, but this is who started:

Tim Howard
Matt Besler
DaMarcus Beasley
Geoff Cameron
Fabian Johnson
Michael Bradley
Alejandro Bedoya - replaced by Yedlin
Jermaine Jones
Kyle Beckerman
Graham Zusi - replaced by Gonzalez
Clint Dempsey - replaced by Wondo

Yedlin, Gonzalez and Wondo came on as subs

cbhawg03

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 02:37:40 pm
He's excelled in his role as a late sub though.  His speed against tired legs is a huge weapon.

Agree completely, just that he is so much better going forward though than some of the starters and we could use that.

Wow.  When I see their line-up, I realize the talent they have.  They are loaded.

This is going to have to be another game where we "will" ourselves a win.

Belgium has only given up 1 goal(and it was a PK) in this entire tournament.  I didn't realize what a streak they were on.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:42:20 pm
Agree completely, just that he is so much better going forward though than some of the starters and we could use that.

And that's a solid point as well.  But I really cant bring myself to question Klins.  Dude seems to be able to see into the future.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:41:16 pm
Don't recall formation, but this is who started:

Tim Howard
Matt Besler
DaMarcus Beasley
Geoff Cameron
Fabian Johnson
Michael Bradley
Alejandro Bedoya - replaced by Yedlin
Jermaine Jones
Kyle Beckerman
Graham Zusi - replaced by Gonzalez
Clint Dempsey - replaced by Wondo

Yedlin, Gonzalez and Wondo came on as subs

Beckerman's out, Cameron has been moved to the midfield.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 02:43:46 pm
Wow.  When I see their line-up, I realize the talent they have.  They are loaded.

This is going to have to be another game where we "will" ourselves a win.

Belgium has only given up 1 goal(and it was a PK) in this entire tournament.  I didn't realize what a streak they were on.

They don't need a back 4 or 3, just take one look at their keeper and you know why they haven't gave up any goals. 6' 6" with over 7' wingspan. He is massive with quick reflexes. Also though, who did they play? Algeria, Russia and South Korea, not necessarily scoring machines

cbhawg03

By the way, Belgian keeper just moved to Chelsea.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:46:29 pm
They don't need a back 4 or 3, just take one look at their keeper and you know why they haven't gave up any goals. 6' 6" with over 7' wingspan. He is massive with quick reflexes. Also though, who did they play? Algeria, Russia and South Korea, not necessarily scoring machines

Yeah.  And look who we've played and the injuries we've had.  We should have all the confidence in the world coming into this game.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 02:47:39 pm
By the way, Belgian keeper just moved to Chelsea.

Also, way off topic, but Kaka is moving to MLS' Orlando team, from A.C. Milan.  He's been one of my favorite players for years.  Brazil made a huge mistake not calling him up for the national team.  I'm really excited about the chance to see him play live.

cbhawg03

JK brought up the fact that the ref will be from Algeria. He wasn't a fan of the idea.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann isn't thrilled with FIFA's decision to appoint Algerian referee Djamel Haimoudi for Tuesday's Round of 16 match against Belgium.

While Klinsmann praised the job Haimoudi did in the two games he worked in the first round -- the Netherlands' 3-2 win over Australia and Costa Rica's 0-0 draw with England -- the former Germany coach is concerned that while all FIFA referees must be able to speak English, the Belgian players will be able to communicate with Haimoudi in his native tongue.

"Is it a good feeling? No," Klinsmann told reporters here Monday at his pre-match press conference. "He's able to speak French with their players on the field, not with us. We hope it's not a concern."

"It's the country that we beat in the last second in the last World Cup," Klinsmann said.

"It's hard, because there are more European referees here than from any other [confederation]," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, who also serves on FIFA's executive committee, said shortly after Klinsmann's comments.

"FIFA abandoned the rule about having only people from different confederations because so many of the top referees come from the top leagues, many of which are in Europe," Gulati added.

Earlier, Klinsmann had conceded as much.

"I understand that sometimes it's difficult for FIFA to always choose the right referees for the right games," Klinsmann said. "It is what it is. We respect the decision and we give him absolutely the benefit of the doubt."

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 02:49:52 pm
Also, way off topic, but Kaka is moving to MLS' Orlando team, from A.C. Milan.  He's been one of my favorite players for years.  Brazil made a huge mistake not calling him up for the national team.  I'm really excited about the chance to see him play live.

Think his A.C. Milan contract was up or bought out. Will play for Sao Paolo until January 15

razorbackfan86

cbhawg03

Fort Dweller

Good run by Beasley...but how is that NOT a corner???

Good build up, great ball by Bradley.....Jones mishits it...

We need to keep building like that.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 03:06:20 pm
Good run by Beasley...but how is that NOT a corner???

Just about to say "He looks 20 y/o out there with that run."

I like how Beasely is trying to maintain possession and not just clearing it

Fort Dweller

any theories as to why we look so shaky in the first 5 minutes of each game?

We are being given a lot of room to operate....looks like they are settling for trying to counter-attack.

This is good for us, I would think.  We will get more quality chances this way.
Going to need a couple of world class saves from Howard, and a couple of goal-saving plays from Gonzalez and Besler.

And of course, we need Dempsey or Bradley to put one in the back of the net!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 03:08:46 pm

Relative lack of talent is a factor ;)

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 03:08:46 pm

New players, fairly new coach and the big stage of the World Cup..

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 01, 2014, 03:15:12 pm
Relative lack of talent is a factor ;)

and that as well :)

But we are getting better!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 01, 2014, 03:16:44 pm
Is this game being televised? 

SIAP..

Yes ESPN

Bradley needs to tee that up and fire it!  A little too much unselfishness..

cbhawg03

Dang Bradley is still killing us.

Bradley's fault on the Cameron yellow

cbhawg03

Horrible ball by Bradley gives Belgium a brake and Cameron picks up a yellow. Really we are still having to fight with Bradley for better play?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 01, 2014, 03:16:44 pm
Is this game being televised? 

SIAP..
Yes but the announcers are speaking a foreign language.  I think they're British.

Fort Dweller

Fort Dweller

That throw by Howard to Beasley was perfect

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 01, 2014, 03:20:44 pm
Yes but the announcers are speaking a foreign language.  I think they're British.

You're on my list, smart guy.. >:(
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 01, 2014, 03:22:18 pm
You're on my list, smart guy.. >:(

You know he read that as he's on a smart guy list, right?  He thinks it's a compliment.

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 01, 2014, 03:22:59 pm
Dodged a bullet right there.

Yep.  Bradley has not been that bad.  He does things we don't always see and has been a workhorse.  He's covered more ground than anyone at the WC so far.

He just needs to break through offensively with an assist or score.

Fort Dweller

You could say what people are saying about Bradley about a lot of our players.

Beasley with a game-saving play.

Belgium getting too many easy chances.

cbhawg03

Somebody take a chainsaw to Fellaini's unibrow

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 03:25:02 pm
Yep.  Bradley has not been that bad.  He does things we don't always see and has been a workhorse.  He's covered more ground than anyone at the WC so far.

Yeah, no one is questioning his workrate at all.  He's overdue for an offensive impact moment.

Fort Dweller

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 03:25:02 pm

I agree but his passes are killing us, put guys open into space and quit giving the ball away with bad passes