Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA vs Belgium Game Thread (Tuesday @ 3pm ct)

Started by Huckleberry Pig, June 27, 2014, 02:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: Notshavin on July 06, 2014, 11:12:37 pm
Redeye, IMO soccer is like hockey, it's just hard to televise but is a blast live.  I highly suggest if you're near an MLS club to go catch a live game also.  It's also very affordable compared to other pro sports.

Yea, I can see that and plan on catching a FC Dallas game eventually.

Thanks!

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on July 03, 2014, 04:54:28 pmWow, he's still only 25.

I hope the U.S. Soccer Federation learned a lesson about putting him in the limelight at 14(or whatever age he was).  I like the idea of getting kids early like they do in Europe, but the whole future of U.S. Soccer seemed to be placed on this kid.

I don't know if it was more the media or the federation, but I hope we learned something from it.

I think it was MLS more than anybody.  Just like with the Beckham stuff, the league was looking for something that could give it a boost domestically.  It backfired and it may have ruined Freddy for good.

We're seeing better development methods all the time.  Bradley began pro soccer at 16, played a full season in MLS, then moved abroad and steadily progressed.  But he's 26 now, what else was he going to learn in Europe?  Now is the perfect time for Yedlin to make the jump and see how high his ceiling is.  Yedlin both, A) went through the MLS academy system and, B) played college soccer, so they both have their merits.  But both Besler and Zusi are 27 (and played college soccer).  I don't know what people think they are going to learn or develop this far along in their careers

JayBell

By the way, it was annoying me how some media were jumping on the bandwagon and claiming that Donovan and Wynalda's criticisms were just "sour grapes."  It reminds me so much of the situation at Arkansas during the basketball team's 9-game winning streak.  No one could admit in the slightest that Anderson wasn't perfect without getting jumped on by fanboys.  It's the same now with Klinsmann.

Donovan and Wynalda have always been brutally honest, sometimes to their detriment.  I don't know why some people would accuse them of being different now.

All I know is Donovan, Wynalda and every journalist I know that analyzes tactics all said the same thing about Klinsmann's gameplan for Belgium.  It was the wrong approach and it didn't work.  That doesn't mean I want him to be fired.  It just means that he screwed up and he shouldn't have unchecked power.

JayBell

July 07, 2014, 10:21:29 am #303 Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:36:29 pm by JayBell
Oh yeah, and Freddy is now trialing at AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands, where Jozy Altidore broke out and Aron Johannsson is starring now.

A lot of people have said all along that the Eredivisie was the best place for Adu to try to play and develop.  If he can't resurrect his career there, I don't know where he goes from there.

If AZ doesn't work out, I still think Freddy's best move would be to play in the new NASL and work his way back up.  Either make some good money with the Cosmos or go to Atlanta and work with Wynalda.  Either way, he needs to start from the ground up.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: redeye on July 06, 2014, 10:46:38 pm
Thanks!  I'll be sure to check out some forthcoming games.

The main reason I've never followed professional soccer is because it's difficult figuring out the leagues, how they work and where games can be viewed.  I can say the same about CONCACAF and for qualifying for the WC.  Do clubs compete in multiple leagues?

It's been at least that long since I last watched a MLS game seriously.  I can remember trying to get into it after the WC one year (probably either '02 or '06) and being really disappointed with the lower level of soccer being played.

Yeah, I will admit that I am still not that into MLS.  But the product has improved tremendously and the soccer-specific stadiums that have been built have had a much bigger effect than even I would have expected.  Quite a few of the teams have amazing fans that rival the quality of fans in top leagues elsewhere (not as many fans, but educated and every bit as dedicated).

All of the football leagues are confusing to figure out at first.  If you are interested, I do suggest following the English Premier League because it is by far the most accessible of the foreign leagues.  It is probably the highest level of play in the World and LOTS of good coverage on NBC Sports, excellent discussion before and after matches. 

You'll find a club that you latch onto and then it'll become even more appealing to you.  For instance, I know WAY more about Arsenal's roster than I do about the Razorback football team roster and it's been that way for almost a decade, despite living 90 minutes from Fayetteville and maybe 4-5,000 miles from London. :)

Then as the season progresses, you'll have a million questions and all you do is ask them in the Soccer Thread and we'll all set you straight on it.  If you're genuinely interested in it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you learn all of the important stuff.

JayBell

We definitely look forward to talking more soccer with you, redeye.  The Soccer Thread has its peaks and valleys, but there's always a good mood in there, except for when:

A) Another Arsenal starter gets injured
B) Any time Liverpool loses
C) Someone talks trash about MLS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: JayBell on July 07, 2014, 12:38:48 pm
We definitely look forward to talking more soccer with you, redeye.  The Soccer Thread has its peaks and valleys, but there's always a good mood in there, except for when:

A) Another Arsenal starter gets injured
B) Any time Liverpool loses
C) Someone talks trash about MLS

Nah, I generally take Arsenal injuries in stride.  That epidemic has been going on for a decade.

But yes, thread activity has generally mirrored Liverpool's form.  However, the more manic-depressive LFC fans have drifted away, so that's not as much of a problem anymore.

redeye

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 07, 2014, 10:34:49 am
Yeah, I will admit that I am still not that into MLS.  But the product has improved tremendously and the soccer-specific stadiums that have been built have had a much bigger effect than even I would have expected.  Quite a few of the teams have amazing fans that rival the quality of fans in top leagues elsewhere (not as many fans, but educated and every bit as dedicated).

All of the football leagues are confusing to figure out at first.  If you are interested, I do suggest following the English Premier League because it is by far the most accessible of the foreign leagues.  It is probably the highest level of play in the World and LOTS of good coverage on NBC Sports, excellent discussion before and after matches. 

You'll find a club that you latch onto and then it'll become even more appealing to you.  For instance, I know WAY more about Arsenal's roster than I do about the Razorback football team roster and it's been that way for almost a decade, despite living 90 minutes from Fayetteville and maybe 4-5,000 miles from London. :)

Then as the season progresses, you'll have a million questions and all you do is ask them in the Soccer Thread and we'll all set you straight on it.  If you're genuinely interested in it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you learn all of the important stuff.

Yea, I'm definitely interested.  Been trying to follow professional soccer since the late-seventies, when I'd catch games on PBS.  Other then MLS somewhat, I just never understood how the leagues work.

I didn't even realize we had a soccer thread, until you mentioned it, so thanks.

JayBell

Quote from: redeye on July 07, 2014, 03:01:49 pmYea, I'm definitely interested.  Been trying to follow professional soccer since the late-seventies, when I'd catch games on PBS.  Other then MLS somewhat, I just never understood how the leagues work.

I didn't even realize we had a soccer thread, until you mentioned it, so thanks.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Someone will answer them.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: redeye on July 07, 2014, 03:01:49 pm
Yea, I'm definitely interested.  Been trying to follow professional soccer since the late-seventies, when I'd catch games on PBS.  Other then MLS somewhat, I just never understood how the leagues work.

Oh yeah, you obviously have an interest if you've been curious for that long!  You'll learn a lot this next season. 

If you have questions right now, go ahead and hit us with it in the Soccer Thread (that thread has been going on for years).  We're all happy to help out.

DukeOfPork

Here is the thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=161321.0

Seven years and 187 pages of posts.  Just ignore all 187 pages and post any random thoughts or questions you have about soccer and we'll discuss it.  It's like a 7 year long discussion. ;)