Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA vs Belgium Game Thread (Tuesday @ 3pm ct)

Started by Huckleberry Pig, June 27, 2014, 02:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckleberry Pig

Alright, game is a few days away and would love to hear ya'lls thoughts on strategy and possible formations.

I didn't mind the 4-5-1 we played with against Germany as long as we are more committed to the attack with our 3 attacking midfielders.  I thought we showed some signs of that at the end of the Germany game when we knew we had advanced.  Our game started to open up a bit more.

I personally like Yedlin on the outside more than Zusi as I think he really helped in those late attacks against Germany.  His speed is a big asset that the other team has to worry about.  My question is if he can play a full 90'.  Or is he someone that we sub in during the second half.  I have not been all impressed with Zusi.  Liked how Jones, Dempsey, and Yedlin were pressing the right side of the field together.

I like Gomez in the center more than Cameron.  Just think he gives us more athleticism and better defending in the box.  If he can avoid the bonehead play I think he is a better option than Cameron.  It's not like Cameron has avoided the boneheaded play himself....

Would like to see Wondo or Johannsson up top and move Dempsey back to where he can lead an attack out of the attacking center midfield position.  Thoughts?  Anyone want to see 2 forwards?  I like the 1 forward if we are willing to attack with the 3 attacking midfielders behind him.  Think sometimes 2 forwards can be a waste if they both get caught up high.

cbhawg03

Jozy will play, how much remains to be seen.

Belgium will be without Steven Defour. He is the only guy from either team that will miss due to a Red or Yellow accumulations.

Belgium does have a lot of height and individual talent, should be interesting.

cbhawg03

World Cup Odds as of Round of 16

Brazil 3-1
Argentina 4-1
Germany 4-1
Netherlands 7-1
France 8-1

Colombia 16-1
Belgium 20-1
Mexico 25-1
Chile 33-1

Costa Rica 40-1
Uruguay 40-1
USA 50-1

Greece 100-1
Switzerland 100-1
Algeria 200-1
Nigeria 200-1

I do think that our odds should be better than 50-1, given we are better than Costa Rica, Mexico and I would also say better than Uruguay without Suarez.

Interesting odds on Chile given their matchup with Brazil.

I would put Greece and Nigeria at 1,000-1. Greece scored 2 goals and well Nigeria is Nigeria.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Belgium looks like they have size, but they look slow and I think we have the players to take advantage of that.  Don't know how I feel about playing Jozy.

I definitely would like to see Wondo or Johannsson up top...but I've been saying that since Jozy went down.

It seems like we stopped being committed to the attack.  I heard Klinsmann say something about extra-time and penalty kicks...I really hope that is not our strategy against Belgium.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

JonClaudeVanHam

I also would like to see Wondo up top and Dempsey pushed back to center midfielder.

Though I think advancing is highly unlikely unless Bradley starts playing better.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 28, 2014, 04:09:38 am
I also would like to see Wondo up top and Dempsey pushed back to center midfielder.

Though I think advancing is highly unlikely unless Bradley starts playing better.

I agree with both statements.

However, it's not for lack of effort.  Bradley has covered more ground than anyone so far in the World Cup:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bradley-covering-most-ground-anyone-073536357--sow.html

Klinsmann said he's very satisfied with Bradley's performance so far, so that says a lot.

Also, Altidore has been running during practice.  He's 11 days removed from when the injury took place.  This is a good sign, IMO, even if he's not 100%, we need his muscle and for him to take up space.  My only concern is them bringing him back too quick and him re-injuring it, or pulling the other hamstring.

Regardless of who it comes from, we NEED a SPARK offensively and we need it TUES.

I would look to Wondo - but we'll see what the German Mad Scientist has up his sleeve.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

TX HOG

Some have said our 2002 team was the best ever. Some are saying this team is. Regardless, those of u that pay attention to soccer(I refuse to call it futbol) is USA soccer on the rise? The future looks like some talented kids??

Wondo-  the dude scores goals, I don't think he creates his own shots that well, but he's a very good finisher. Ray Allen ish

cbhawg03

Have run into a snag since I didn't do my homework before the World Cup started.

So I didn't take off Tuesday afternoon and now I am stuck working since there is only 3 of us in the office and 1 is already off.

Last week I was able to watch every game online or on the tv in the office, but the tv will be unavailable during that time and well.....I don't know if I want to watch on the computer or try to avoid all of humanity until I get home and watch it on the dvr.

cbhawg03

If I would have looked ahead and saw that we could possibly play tomorrow then I could have took off :puke:

JayBell

Quote from: TX HOG on June 29, 2014, 08:17:55 amSome have said our 2002 team was the best ever. Some are saying this team is. Regardless, those of u that pay attention to soccer(I refuse to call it futbol) is USA soccer on the rise? The future looks like some talented kids??

I could name two dozen young US players off the top of my head that are playing for clubs in MLS or clubs in Europe.  The US player pool is deeper now than it has ever been and it is only getting better.  The future is so bright for US Soccer.  It really is crazy how many young exciting players the US has coming up through the ranks.

JayBell

The bottom line is that the US has to be more aggressive against Belgium than it was against Germany.  The US came out swinging against Ghana and played excellent in the second half against Portugal.  I don't think you can try to accomplish that against Belgium with Dempsey stranded alone up top.

Belgium has a TON of great individual talent, but they're still young and inexperienced.  Belgium was very unconvincing in the group stage and the US will finally be rested up for a match.  They were beaten, bruised and battered for the Portugal and Germany matches.

A healthy Altidore and a return to form for Bradley would give such a huge boost to the US attack.  Even if Altidore doesn't play, I think you have to give Dempsey help up top with Wondo or Johannsson.

JayBell

One thing I think Klinsmann could do is start Gonzalez at centerback, Cameron at right back and slide Fabian Johnson into the midfield.  That would shore up the defense and step up the attacking impetus.

Belgium is very beatable, especially with Kompany either absent or weakened for the game.

I'm getting the same feeling for the Belgium game that I had for Portugal, where I thought everything was lining up for a US victory. 

cbhawg03

I think if we play a 4-5-1 then we lose. Should we go back to the 4-4-2 then I think we will win.

I know neither are traditional formations that we play, but we need the 2 up front. I were between 28 and 31 in possession during the group stage. That will come back to kill us against Belgium and moving forward.

Just read that Altidore will be available to play tomorrow.

That would be huge.

I hope Klinsmann has learned something from watching all these games.  You cannot take a 1 goal lead going into the last few minutes of the game and expect it to stick.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 30, 2014, 02:04:05 pm
I think if we play a 4-5-1 then we lose. Should we go back to the 4-4-2 then I think we will win.

I know neither are traditional formations that we play, but we need the 2 up front. I were between 28 and 31 in possession during the group stage. That will come back to kill us against Belgium and moving forward.

I think it's more about where our attacking midfielders are actually positioned.  There is no doubt we need to attack more, but I would rather do this with our midfield, forwards and defensive wing-men, than on counter attacks with 1 or 2 of our forwards.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 06:01:41 pm
I think it's more about where our attacking midfielders are actually positioned.  There is no doubt we need to attack more, but I would rather do this with our midfield, forwards and defensive wing-men, than on counter attacks with 1 or 2 of our forwards.

I really enjoyed out game plan against Portugal.  I'd like to see much, much more of that in the future.  I can understand why we didn't play that way against Germany, but in the knock out round we're going to have to create.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Cresthog

For some reason I am really worried about this game. Scares me how easily they clobbered us in that friendly. Vermallan and Kompany out would be huge and darnit I wish Jozy could play. I don't see him being risked unless its do or die at the end.

I would probably say stick with the portugal game plan and see how it goes then worry about adding someone up top in the 2nd half if we look static.

Gosh I want to win this so bad.

Cresthog

On a side note, I work for Nestle in LA and we have a truly worldy and legit soccer work league with tons of brazilians, italians etc.

A big group of them just came back from Brazil group stages and said by far the biggest surprise was the US fans. They said besides the brazilians and the colombians they were the most numerous and most passionate. They also noted how young everyone was. What a great sign of things to come.

Major props all around saying USA fans were by far the most enjoyable and fun to be around.

Quote from: Cresthog on June 30, 2014, 08:41:06 pm
For some reason I am really worried about this game. Scares me how easily they clobbered us in that friendly. Vermallan and Kompany out would be huge and darnit I wish Jozy could play. I don't see him being risked unless its do or die at the end.

I would probably say stick with the portugal game plan and see how it goes then worry about adding someone up top in the 2nd half if we look static.

Klinsmann is good at game preparation, but he's so stubborn when it comes to changing anything.  I'm concerned that he won't make adjustments needed.  He's the kind of coach that would rather lose doing it entirely his way, than win and have to admit he was wrong about something.

We will have to come out attacking like we did in the Ghana game.  A close game at the end or going to PKs scares the crap out of me.

If we could get a goal or 2 in the 1st half, I'll feel much better.

I have no idea what to think about this game, there are so many question marks with Bradley's play so far, our injuries and Belgium's inconsistent play.

To think that all this work will come down to 90 minutes tomorrow...

Quote from: Cresthog on June 30, 2014, 08:43:29 pm
On a side note, I work for Nestle in LA and we have a truly worldy and legit soccer work league with tons of brazilians, italians etc.

A big group of them just came back from Brazil group stages and said by far the biggest surprise was the US fans. They said besides the brazilians and the colombians they were the most numerous and most passionate. They also noted how young everyone was. What a great sign of things to come.

Major props all around saying USA fans were by far the most enjoyable and fun to be around.

That's cool

Huckleberry Pig

Love the convo goin on in here, and that's great to hear about the US fans.  Will give my thoughts on lineup and what not tomorrow morning when I have time to type it all up

Hogsooey

Quote from: Cresthog on June 30, 2014, 08:43:29 pm

Sweet. I've seen a couple of articles giving props to American fans. One was even from England saying their fans needed to adopt our fans approach/enthusiasm. Here's another one that talks about our fans.

sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--becoming-fan-favorite-of-other-world-cup-team-nations-224510530.html

It's also awesome to see all the watch parties popping up. They are having a big one here in San Diego at Petco Park (huge grassy area with HD TV is located behind the outfield wall). Interesting they are using a baseball stadium for a huge soccer watch party.

JayBell

Quote from: Cresthog on June 30, 2014, 08:41:06 pmFor some reason I am really worried about this game. Scares me how easily they clobbered us in that friendly. Vermallan and Kompany out would be huge and darnit I wish Jozy could play. I don't see him being risked unless its do or die at the end.

What impact did the US's performance in last year's 4-3 win over Germany have on last Thursday's game?  I expect the loss to Belgium to have just as much impact tomorrow.

The US lost that game without Michael Bradley, with Brad Davis and with a backline that had Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez and Clarence Goodson next to each other.  That was before Cameron's stellar season of experience at right back for Stoke.  Kljestan was also in good form, but he does not have Beckerman's composure in that role nor Bradley's motor.  Clint Dempsey was definitely not in peak form as he is now.

There are so many caveats to that result that I have trouble believing it means anything heading into Tuesday.

JayBell

Now, you add Matt Besler to the US backline, take Benteke off of Belgium's front line, put Beckerman in front of the back four, take Davis off the wing, insert a Bedoya or Fabian Johnson in that role, and possibly take Belgium's captain out of the defense.

It is a COMPLETELY different game tomorrow, and one where I think the US has the advantages against a makeshift, untested backline.

Hogsooey

Dr. Starcs

I am by no means a soccer expert (although I do watch the wc every four years). I'll defer to those of you that tactically believe we have some advantages tomorrow. Surviving the group of death was awesome for our team, but I just wasnt overly impressed from what I saw. The altidore injury may have had a lot to do with that idk. Hoping I'm wrong and you all are right. Lol

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 30, 2014, 09:51:58 pm
Sweet. I've seen a couple of articles giving props to American fans. One was even from England saying their fans needed to adopt our fans approach/enthusiasm. Here's another one that talks about our fans.

sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--becoming-fan-favorite-of-other-world-cup-team-nations-224510530.html

It's also awesome to see all the watch parties popping up. They are having a big one here in San Diego at Petco Park (huge grassy area with HD TV is located behind the outfield wall). Interesting they are using a baseball stadium for a huge soccer watch party.

The watch parties have been impressive.  I have friends going to them that would not have in the past, or the place they frequent being taken over by one. 

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 30, 2014, 10:18:37 pm
A little something to get you folks fired up. 'murica!

http://youtu.be/zaTmXuQr0LA

I like the scene where the guy in the striped shirt is looking down at his phone and misses the goal, LOL.  He's, like crap....whooo!!!

yraciv

Watch party in Chicago tomorrow is at Soldier Field! I'm pumped!

JayBell

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 10:22:01 pmI am by no means a soccer expert (although I do watch the wc every four years). I'll defer to those of you that tactically believe we have some advantages tomorrow. Surviving the group of death was awesome for our team, but I just wasnt overly impressed from what I saw. The altidore injury may have had a lot to do with that idk. Hoping I'm wrong and you all are right. Lol

So many people are taking the Germany game as a complete identification of the US team.  They came out swinging against Ghana.  The rest of that match was dictated by injuries.  The US had tired legs and definitely went too defensive for that rest of that game and the Germany match.

I was surprised when I heard what Michael Ballack said about the US's performance against Portugal.  He said the US was so convincing in the second half of that game, that it made most people believe the US deserved to go through even with the loss to Germany.

You're seeing a similar situation with Belgium as you did with Portugal.  The Belgians are injured, banged up, tired and disjointed.  The US should go into that match with no fear of the Red Devils.

Quote from: yraciv on June 30, 2014, 10:51:03 pm
Watch party in Chicago tomorrow is at Soldier Field! I'm pumped!

Wow, cool.  I saw my first USMNT International game there in June of 1993, it was a great soccer venue.  It was a U.S. Cup game, we lost 4-3.  Klinsmann scored one, and a guy named Reidle scored the other 3.  British born and raised, Thomas Dooley, our captain scored 2 and Earnie Stewart(military raised in Holland) scored our 3rd.

As bad as the MLS screwed things up when they started, our USMNT was really a different animal and I think was run really well.  Jeff Agoos, John Harkes, Tab Ramos, Cobi Jones, Lalas and Wynalda all played in this game.
There was just an excitement in the air about our new USMNT stars, which is pretty amazing when you consider we didn't have a real top division pro league.

Since then, I attended games at the Cotton Bowl, Reliant Stadium(both were against Mexico and the Cotton Bowl was about 90% Mexican fans and Reliant was 50/50) and in the '94 World Cup I went to Brazil vs. Sweden in Detroit(group stage).  Later I got to see the Netherlands vs. Brazil game at the Cotton Bowl which saw Brazil come from behind and win 3-2.  It was considered the best game of the knockout stage.

That Soldier Field game I'll always remember because of what that group later did for U.S. Soccer.  Those summers pick-up games were a lot easier to find, and there was a respect for soccer that hadn't been there when I was a kid. 

Tomorrow is huge. 

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 11:55:55 pm
Tomorrow is huge. 

Yes, yes it is. Plus, if we can pull it off, it will set up an epic showdown with (likely) Argentina in the quarters. Such a match would be absolutely huge for soccer here in the States... on a weekend. But, don't let me get ahead of myself. Haha.

JayBell

Quote from: Hogsooey on July 01, 2014, 12:10:15 amYes, yes it is. Plus, if we can pull it off, it will set up an epic showdown with (likely) Argentina in the quarters. Such a match would be absolutely huge for soccer here in the States... on a weekend. But, don't let me get ahead of myself. Haha.

I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself like I did four years ago...

BUT

A quarterfinal match in 2014 with Argentina and Messi on a Saturday afternoon, the day after Independence Day, would undoubtedly be the biggest, most watched soccer game in US history.  It is difficult to overstate the significance of that (potential) game.  And a win would be unbelievably huge.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on July 01, 2014, 08:46:49 am

BUT

A quarterfinal match in 2014 with Argentina and Messi on a Saturday afternoon, the day after Independence Day, would undoubtedly be the biggest, most watched soccer game in US history.  It is difficult to overstate the significance of that (potential) game.  And a win would be unbelievably huge.

Let's focus on today! haha I think we have a great shot here and I'm freakin PUMPED!  Taking a half day so I can get to a watch party early and get a good seat.

Huckleberry Pig

I actually like us with a 4-5-1 as long as we are committed to attacking (which i think we will be).  With the 4-4-2 I feel like the midfield becomes too exposed defensively and on the counter as the 2nd forward won't get back to help.  Also, many times the extra attacker coming from the midfield is harder for the opposing defense to pick up than an extra forward that is lined up next to them.   

With a 4-5-1 like:

-----x-----
--x--x--x--
---x---x---
x--x---x--x

I think you allow for more creativity in the attack because the three attacking midfielders can make their runs according to where the top man gets the ball and again it is harder to pickup 3 men coming at you (3 men that have the fluidity to move around more than another true forward) than only two.  I think this setup also allows for the lone forward to receive more support than a normal forward would in a two-forward system. 

I used to play forward in a 4-4-2 and then later on a 4-5-1 and I preferred a 4-5-1.  I feel many times the extra forward ends up being a wasted man, esp on defense when you need your midfield to pack it in.  JMO

Huckleberry Pig

cbhawg03

The results so far have been predictable. There is always going to be an upset or two.

I believe we will win

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 11:05:12 amThe results so far have been predictable. There is always going to be an upset or two.

I believe we will win

I said whenever the bracket was filled out that the US/Belgium match was probably the closest thing to a true tossup.  Brazil, Netherlands, France, Colombia and Germany were all very much favored.  Costa Rica may be the story of the tournament, but I think they definitely should have been expected to beat Greece.

razorJAcker

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on July 01, 2014, 08:46:49 am

BUT

Obviously the game already started, but I'm not sure that Argentina will even be there.

Cresthog

Quote from: cbhawg03 on July 01, 2014, 01:02:26 pm
Obviously the game already started, but I'm not sure that Argentina will even be there.

They're beatable. Def. Beatable.

Extremely unlucky for the swiss there at the end. Off the post!

razorbackfan86

I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

cbhawg03

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on July 01, 2014, 01:54:28 pm
I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

Fort Dweller

Are they going to do a 1 hr build up to the match?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

razorJAcker

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2014, 01:59:54 pm
Are they going to do a 1 hr build up to the match?

Yes, I think they've done a 1 hr pregame for every USA game.

TX HOG

Fort Dweller

cbhawg03

Got to say that it seems to be a weird lineup

cbhawg03

GK: Howard

Back line: Beasley    Besler    Gonzalez     Johnson

Midfield: Jones     Bradley     Cameron

Forwards: Zusi     Dempsey     Bedoya