Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA vs. Germany GAME THREAD

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 26, 2014, 01:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfan86

Way to go USA!!. When is our knockout round game?

Horsesrus

Tuesday 7/1 most likely against Belgium.

JayBell

Tuesday afternoon against Belgium.  The US gets a really, really green squad to take on in the knockout rounds.  But so was Ghana four years ago...

razorbackfan86

popcornhog

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:00:52 pm
Tuesday afternoon against Belgium.  The US gets a really, really green squad to take on in the knockout rounds.  But so was Ghana four years ago...

Do we know what time? I'm tired of these damn day games during the week.

It's so weird for a loss to feel like a win.
WPS

JayBell

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:03:26 pmDo we know what time? I'm tired of these damn day games during the week.

3 p.m.  Nothing will start later than that the rest of the tournament.

Jackrabbit Hog

Honest question here.  What is the rationale in soccer for allowing only 3 substitutes during a game?  I'm not aware of any other team sport that limits your substitutions like that.  Just seems strange to me.

Apologizing in advance for not being a soccer guy.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 26, 2014, 01:05:34 pm
Honest question here.  What is the rationale in soccer for allowing only 3 substitutes during a game?  I'm not aware of any other team sport that limits your substitutions like that.  Just seems strange to me.

mainly to just keep play going.  if you were up 1-0, you could keep subbing guys in and out to waste time off the clock.  it also just slows down the game in general and no one wants that.  It gets frustrating when a team decides to sub 1000 times...  part of the game is being in shape enough to play for 90.

popcornhog

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:04:56 pm
3 p.m.  Nothing will start later than that the rest of the tournament.

Ok, I'm new to soccer. I started following the World Cup in 2010 and attended a couple of Sporting KC games last year. That's the extent of my history following soccer.

Here's my question -- these games are being played essentially in the Eastern Time Zone (or an hour later, right?). Is there a reason that they're not in prime time? At least in local, Brazillian prime time? Is 8:00 pm not considered prime time in Brazil?

It sure would be nice if they were around 5:00 or 6:00 Central.
WPS

Huckleberry Pig

sorry i didn't get to keep up in the thread, was watching it with a group at our office. 

I am still not happy with Bradley's play.  It was better than last game but still too many turnovers and I felt he did a poor job tracking their midfield when they were on the attack.  his touch seems off to me, idk what it is.

Again, not nearly as bad as last game but there were a few times I'm goin "come on bradley! don't turn it over there!"

Cresthog

The idea and uniqueness is to keep the game going. I realize Hockey is able to do it while constantly subbing but it is just a different mindset.

You obviously get quite a bit of rest in soccer when the play isn't near you, unless you're a midfielder which you're running the whole game.

Horsesrus

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:08:32 pm
Ok, I'm new to soccer. I started following the World Cup in 2010 and attended a couple of Sporting KC games last year. That's the extent of my history following soccer.

Here's my question -- these games are being played essentially in the Eastern Time Zone (or an hour later, right?). Is there a reason that they're not in prime time? At least in local, Brazillian prime time? Is 8:00 pm not considered prime time in Brazil?

European time zone with millions of viewers keeps the games in the early and late evening over there.  If they started around 6:00 PM here you would be talking about midnight through 2 AM in most of Europe.

cbhawg03

Best case scenario for a loss IMO

No injuries, things they can work on and do better and Jones didn't pick up a Yellow. Need someone to help deal with Fellaini on the crosses into the box.

Bradley has to play better though and need better understanding between Clint and the midfielders

DukeOfPork

That's just the rules.  It just depends on what you're used to. 

A question non-Americans would have for us is "in a 3.5 hour NFL game, why is there only 11 minutes of action?"  Admittedly, that seems like an absurd concept for a sport, but it is second nature to Americans and we don't question it.

cbhawg03

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:03:26 pm

3:00 Tuesday more than likely against Belgium. Algeria would have to win and make up the goal difference between them and Belgium in order to win the group and they are 1 goal down before play starts

DukeOfPork

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:19:11 pm
3:00 Tuesday more than likely against Belgium. Algeria would have to win and make up the goal difference between them and Belgium in order to win the group and they are 1 goal down before play starts

Belgium will be tough.  But they aren't superior to Germany.

I'm just glad we made it out of this group.  We did what was necessary to advance.  As far as I'm concerned, that puts Klinsmann ahead of schedule on his USMNT project. 

We always debate whether soccer is growing in popularity in the US, but this time it is not debatable.  The ratings on Sunday show that the momentum is building.  I like the direction we're heading.

Cresthog

I'd rather play belgium. They haven't looked that tough and Algeria would essentially "owe us" for last year.

We desperately need Jozy back and to figure out our midfield. Zusi cannot waste corners the way he was and Bradley has got to step up.

Who do you guys like? Gonzo or Cameron? I honestly thought Gonzo was solid today, I love his size and when he focuses, he is a really good defender.

Only problem is he is usually good for at least 1 total WTH play every game.

popcornhog

Quote from: Horsesrus on June 26, 2014, 01:11:59 pm
European time zone with millions of viewers keeps the games in the early and late evening over there.  If they started around 6:00 PM here you would be talking about midnight through 2 AM in most of Europe.

That makes sense. So the television market in Europe is more important than the host television market, I guess?

Too bad. I'd love to be able to watch the games in their entirety without any silly work restraints.
WPS

JayBell

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:32:43 pmThat makes sense. So the television market in Europe is more important than the host television market, I guess?

Too bad. I'd love to be able to watch the games in their entirety without any silly work restraints.

Also, the east coast of Brazil is an hour ahead of the east coast in the US.  So if you were starting games at 6 central here, it'd be 8 in Brazil.

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:35:20 pm
Also, the east coast of Brazil is an hour ahead of the east coast in the US.  So if you were starting games at 6 central here, it'd be 8 in Brazil.

Not to mention no one is working in Brazil right now anyway.

Saw on bloomberg I think that they estimate they'll lose about about 15 billion in productivity or something like that. Number may be off but it was big.

JayBell

Several thoughts:

- The US gets an extra day of rest, which they did not in 2010.  The US had a quick turnaround when they played Ghana in the Round of 16 four years ago.  Now they get an extra day of rest (comparatively) and will have slightly more rest than their opponent.

- Belgium is absolutely a better team than Algeria.  I may be proven wrong today, but I think the South Korea match was an aberration.  Algeria scored four goals because South Korea is that bad.  Even if Algeria beats Russia 1-0, I'd still rather take my chances with the Desert Foxes.

- Regardless of who the US gets next, they can definitely win.  Belgium beat the US pretty handily last summer, but the US also beat Germany last summer.  Belgium and Algeria are both relatively green internationally and the US would have a huge advantage in experience.  If they were able to come up with that kind of effort today, then they should be pretty prepped for the next round.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Cresthog on June 26, 2014, 01:30:20 pm
I'd rather play belgium. They haven't looked that tough and Algeria would essentially "owe us" for last year.

We desperately need Jozy back and to figure out our midfield. Zusi cannot waste corners the way he was and Bradley has got to step up.

Who do you guys like? Gonzo or Cameron? I honestly thought Gonzo was solid today, I love his size and when he focuses, he is a really good defender.

Only problem is he is usually good for at least 1 total WTH play every game.

Cameron kind of had 2 of those though against Portugal and it cost us 2 goals

Horsesrus

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:32:43 pm
That makes sense. So the television market in Europe is more important than the host television market, I guess?

More the global television market.  When it was in South Africa many of the games were late afternoon and evening, which suited Africa and Europe while still keeping the games in waking hours in the US and South America.  Asia and Australia are stuck with middle of the night games but you can't keep everyone happy so better to keep Europe/Africa/North and South America happy.

Cresthog

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:41:58 pm
Cameron kind of had 2 of those though against Portugal and it cost us 2 goals

Oh yea totally. I think stick with Gonzo at this point. He was pretty damn solid and should only keep getting more acclimated.

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:39:57 pm
Several thoughts:

- The US gets an extra day of rest, which they did not in 2010.  The US had a quick turnaround when they played Ghana in the Round of 16 four years ago.  Now they get an extra day of rest (comparatively) and will have slightly more rest than their opponent.

- Belgium is absolutely a better team than Algeria.  I may be proven wrong today, but I think the South Korea match was an aberration.  Algeria scored four goals because South Korea is that bad.  Even if Algeria beats Russia 1-0, I'd still rather take my chances with the Desert Foxes.

- Regardless of who the US gets next, they can definitely win.  Belgium beat the US pretty handily last summer, but the US also beat Germany last summer.  Belgium and Algeria are both relatively green internationally and the US would have a huge advantage in experience.  If they were able to come up with that kind of effort today, then they should be pretty prepped for the next round.

There is no doubt that you would rather face Algeria than Belgium. Belgium has a lot of height and is very tough on set pieces. They also have some very skilled players that just lack the experience. Give me Algeria any day of the week rather than Belgium, I don't mind being on that side though, we could get Argentina and while Messi is busy being Messi, their also beatable with their back 4 and keeper.

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:41:58 pmCameron kind of had 2 of those though against Portugal and it cost us 2 goals

That has been the knock on Omar though.  He's usually known for one or two mind boggling mistakes.

But that shows the cruel nature of soccer.  Cameron was punished for his two biggest errors against Portugal.  Omar's failed clearance two minutes into today's match was every bit as egregious as Cameron's.  Omar's didn't go into his own net and he was stellar from then on.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

June 26, 2014, 01:47:32 pm #126 Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:59:04 pm by Notshavin
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 26, 2014, 12:56:33 pm
So is Belgium next for us?

Most likely

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:03:26 pm

You won't feel that anymore.  Single-elimination from this point on.  No losses or ties allowed!

AND they can't come in and out.  It's a part of the game unique to soccer and forces you to be in the best physical condition.  Jogging and sprinting for 45 minutes at a time.  It really is a marathon within a game.

No apologies allowed, Rabbit!  Soccer players/fans love talking about the "beautiful game".

Btw, I highly suggest watching Brazil play.  They are starting to click and the style they play is truly a thing of beauty.

Quote from: popcornhog on June 26, 2014, 01:08:32 pm

Welcome Popcorn!  That's awesome, I have friends with season tickets to Sporting KC. 

To try to answer your question, they have to fit in a lot of games in the group stage, and they usually cater to the host country's time.  I remember setting my alarm for weird hours in the morning during France, Korea/Japan and Germany.

However, once the round of 16 begins they I think will primarily be played on the weekends.

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 26, 2014, 01:09:24 pm
sorry i didn't get to keep up in the thread, was watching it with a group at our office. 

I am still not happy with Bradley's play.  It was better than last game but still too many turnovers and I felt he did a poor job tracking their midfield when they were on the attack.  his touch seems off to me, idk what it is.

Again, not nearly as bad as last game but there were a few times I'm goin "come on bradley! don't turn it over there!"

Then you missed me bragging about you playing against Gonzalez.  He had a greaet game today.

To be in the position we are in, after our QB not being himself, we are very fortunate.  He did look better, the conditions of the pitch didn't help - and once again, our guys HAVE to get him the ball in good position and stop just clearing the ball forward.  Today we just needed a close result, so I get it - but that cannot continue.

Dempsey is 31, Bradley will be 31 next World Cup.  THIS is IT for the nucleus of this team.  Anything less than getting to the semifinal and they should be disappointed.

Quote from: Cresthog on June 26, 2014, 01:09:45 pm
You obviously get quite a bit of rest in soccer when the play isn't near you, unless you're a midfielder which you're running the whole game.

I disagree, very little rest for 45 min. straight, you are constantly moving and have to be very fit to run/sprint/jog that much.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:14:53 pm
Bradley has to play better though and need better understanding between Clint and the midfielders

^^^^

Quote from: DukeOfPork on June 26, 2014, 01:18:47 pm
That's just the rules.  It just depends on what you're used to. 

A question non-Americans would have for us is "in a 3.5 hour NFL game, why is there only 11 minutes of action?"  Admittedly, that seems like an absurd concept for a sport, but it is second nature to Americans and we don't question it.

And what kind of sport has 2 separate teams and one team goes on the field while the other sits that whole time on the bench.

Also, we get this question so much:  "Why in the world can't you use the 2 things we use the most in life, your hands?  What kind of sport does that?"

I would argue, why does football only allow certain players to even touch the ball and so many that just wrestle each other all game long?

I get it, I love football, but it's just all a matter of your perspective and what you are used to.

One of the reasons there are so many good basketball players from other countries is that they started playing soccer and developed footwork that is key to their game:  Nowitski, Nash, Olajuwon, Petrovich(RIP), Gasol bros, Ginobli, Parker, etc.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:46:50 pm
That has been the knock on Omar though.  He's usually known for one or two mind boggling mistakes.

But that shows the cruel nature of soccer.  Cameron was punished for his two biggest errors against Portugal.  Omar's failed clearance two minutes into today's match was every bit as egregious as Cameron's.  Omar's didn't go into his own net and he was stellar from then on.

Was going to mention that Jay. Omar totally had his moment that could have changed the whole game. He got extremely lucky.

cbhawg03

Round of 16 is this Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (US on Tuesday)

Quarterfinals are on 4th and 5th (US would be on the 5th)

Semifinals are on Tuesday the 8th and Wednesday the 9th (US would be on the 9th)

3rd place game is Saturday 12th

Final is Sunday 13th

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 01:47:32 pmDempsey is 31, Bradley will be 31 next World Cup.  THIS is IT for the nucleus of this team.  Anything less than getting to the semifinal and they should be disappointed.

Well I think that's a little harsh.  You're still talking about a team that is believed to be very much less talented than the likes of Argentina and Belgium, the two teams they'd play in the next two rounds.  I think advancing through the Group of Death is an accomplishment, but a trip to the semifinals is definitely possible.

I think a win next Tuesday would be amazing.  We'd be looking at a quarterfinals match with Messi and Argentina on a Saturday afternoon.  It would undoubtedly be the biggest soccer game in US history.  The attention that game would get would probably dwarf the hype for the Portugal game.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 01:47:32 pm

Dempsey is 31, Bradley will be 31 next World Cup.  THIS is IT for the nucleus of this team.  Anything less than getting to the semifinal and they should be disappointed.

I don't think that for a minute. With Jozy probably not being 100% the remainder of the World Cup, with the WTH moments we have 2-3 times a game and the competition, that is unrealistic

cbhawg03

I would be good without seeing Davis in the midfield again unless someone picks up an injury.

Give me more Bedoya and especially more Yedlin

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:59:23 pmI would be good without seeing Davis in the midfield again unless someone picks up an injury.

Give me more Bedoya and especially more Yedlin

That will definitely be what you will see.  Davis was just out there as some fresh legs, but he was a waste.  That's the risk Klinsmann ran by including both Davis AND Green, who apparently isn't good enough to play in garbage time for the US.

Donovan should have been there, plain and simple.  But they have to take care of business with who they have.

cbhawg03

I don't know if it was the tiredness and malaria pills from playing the game against Portugal in Manaus, but we looked like with winners of World Funniest Football Moments a couple times

The Gonzalez moment in the beginning and then some bad tackles by Bradley and then also I think our guys ran into each other on 2 or 3 separate occasions. The guys running into each other was weird, and Jones running into the ref also

These are the things that we have to learn to avoid and become for experienced. You don't see the major sides making these kind of mistakes and it has to be something we have to learn.

cbhawg03

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 02:01:53 pm
That will definitely be what you will see.  Davis was just out there as some fresh legs, but he was a waste.  That's the risk Klinsmann ran by including both Davis AND Green, who apparently isn't good enough to play in garbage time for the US.

Donovan should have been there, plain and simple.  But they have to take care of business with who they have.

I don't mind Green being there, but we could have took Donovan over Davis for sure.

You don't want to risk losing Green to the Germans because he played some meaningless minutes at the top level for the Germans when we could have had him. Maybe he doesn't play now, but it will be to our benefit that we have him come 2018

JayBell

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 02:03:27 pmI don't know if it was the tiredness and malaria pills from playing the game against Portugal in Manaus, but we looked like with winners of World Funniest Football Moments a couple times

The Gonzalez moment in the beginning and then some bad tackles by Bradley and then also I think our guys ran into each other on 2 or 3 separate occasions. The guys running into each other was weird, and Jones running into the ref also

These are the things that we have to learn to avoid and become for experienced. You don't see the major sides making these kind of mistakes and it has to be something we have to learn.

I think it was definitely fatigue.  Folks were trying to gloss over that as a non-factor, but it definitely hurt in the second half when the US needed an equalizer and couldn't get it.  Ronaldo saved us:

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 09:18:52 amI keep saying that I think Ronaldo on the counter can get a result against Ghana.  I think it definitely helps those chances when Ghana can't bring in KPB as reinforcement off the bench.

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:55:43 pm
Well I think that's a little harsh.  You're still talking about a team that is believed to be very much less talented than the likes of Argentina and Belgium, the two teams they'd play in the next two rounds.  I think advancing through the Group of Death is an accomplishment, but a trip to the semifinals is definitely possible.

I think a win next Tuesday would be amazing.  We'd be looking at a quarterfinals match with Messi and Argentina on a Saturday afternoon.  It would undoubtedly be the biggest soccer game in US history.  The attention that game would get would probably dwarf the hype for the Portugal game.

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 01:57:09 pm
I don't think that for a minute. With Jozy probably not being 100% the remainder of the World Cup, with the WTH moments we have 2-3 times a game and the competition, that is unrealistic

I may be getting greedy, but if you take into account that we made it to the quarterfinals in 2002 and lost to Germany in a close one, 1-0...I think this team has more talent and Klinsmann is better at game-preparation than 2002's Arena led team - as good as they were.  Why not expect no less at this point than 2 more wins?  Would be nice if Altidore by some miracle is healthy.

We were 30 seconds away from going through after 2 games, and possibly winning our group.  This without Altidore and without Bradley at his best.

Let's say we click like we didn't that last warm-up game against Nigeria.  I see no reason why we can't go that far.

However, Klinsmann HAS to address the no Altidore thing, and putting Zusi(I don't mind him as much further back in the midfield) in for him is not the answer, and this is starting to be very frustrating.  Johannsson or Wondo should start and get a chance to play at least a full half to do some of the things Altidore did, which will free up Dempsey to attack.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

cbhawg03

Lol, had you called the Ghanaian keeper passing it to Ronaldo, then I would have to declare you psychic.  Still pretty impressive, though.

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 09:18:52 am
I keep saying that I think Ronaldo on the counter can get a result against Ghana.  I think it definitely helps those chances when Ghana can't bring in KPB as reinforcement off the bench.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 02:22:58 pmWe were 30 seconds away from going through after 2 games, and possibly winning our group.  This without Altidore and without Bradley at his best.

Let's say we click like we didn't that last warm-up game against Nigeria.  I see no reason why we can't go that far.

We agree with you.  I just don't think it'd be a disappointment to not make the semifinals.  Everything after this is gravy.  I just want to get to the quarterfinals and get a showdown with Messi.  I'd be over the moon if the US simply got that chance.

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 02:22:58 pmHowever, Klinsmann HAS to address the no Altidore thing, and putting Zusi(I don't mind him as much further back in the midfield) in for him is not the answer, and this is starting to be very frustrating.  Johannsson or Wondo should start and get a chance to play at least a full half to do some of the things Altidore did, which will free up Dempsey to attack.

Agreed, but I think those were the tactics Klinsmann felt he had to go with in these two games.  Whether Altidore can come back or if he goes with one of the other forwards, I think the US comes out strong against Belgium like they did against Ghana.  I don't see them being conservative in the next match.

I expect to see Klinsmann go back to the same formation that wreaked so much havoc in the prep games.  I think you'll see Bedoya start with Dempsey behind Altidore, Wondolowski or Johannsson.

Hogsooey

It's been a stressful week for me - the continuous thoughts of how that late Portugal equalizer could do us in when we had it in the palm of our hands. But, we are through! I'm definitely enjoying this one. Anything can happen at this point. Go USA!

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 02:30:22 pm
This aint close to 2002

Except for not having Lando, I think we are better.

cbhawg03

I agree that we have to see Wondo or Johannsson.

Zusi crosses have been well, sailing constantly at times. Got to give our guys a chance or just kick it over the line for a goal kick and save the energy from bringing up guys from the back.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 02:31:32 pm

That was 12 years ago, but I don't remember any of the world's dumbest moments though, i.e. Nani goal and the 2nd by POrtugal and then the opening minutes today as well

cbhawg03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 02:31:32 pm

Also, I think the competition is better these days as well.

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
We agree with you.  I just don't think it'd be a disappointment to not make the semifinals.  Everything after this is gravy.  I just want to get to the quarterfinals and get a showdown with Messi.  I'd be over the moon if the US simply got that chance.

Agreed, but I think those were the tactics Klinsmann felt he had to go with in these two games.  Whether Altidore can come back or if he goes with one of the other forwards, I think the US comes out strong against Belgium like they did against Ghana.  I don't see them being conservative in the next match.

I expect to see Klinsmann go back to the same formation that wreaked so much havoc in the prep games.  I think you'll see Bedoya start with Dempsey behind Altidore, Wondolowski or Johannsson.

Yeah, not so much disappointment.  Getting through is already a victory.  Just saying that the opportunity is there for the taking and we shouldn't think it impossible.  The core of this group may not get another shot like this.

Btw, you gotta love the way this team has come together - especially when you see or hear of bickering on other squads.

I've been impressed with what a warrior Dempsey has been, and how he leads without having to say much in public.

These kids deserve this, so much.  This just tweeted by US Soccer and Dempsey, I think.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hogsooey

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 02:33:46 pm
That was 12 years ago, but I don't remember any of the world's dumbest moments though, i.e. Nani goal and the 2nd by POrtugal and then the opening minutes today as well

We had the world's dumbest moment against Mexico. Handball (hand of God style) on a header in the penalty area when up 1-0. Should've been a penalty and a red or yellow card (can't remember). Take that Mexico!

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 26, 2014, 02:34:45 pm
Also, I think the competition is better these days as well.

I don't know, man.  Germany was solid, and we eliminated a very good Mexican side.

The teams going through are very good this time around, also - except for Greece(and I know this will ruffle some feathers here) and whenever Costa Rica wakes up/reads the memo that they aren't supposed to be doing what they are doing, lol.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 01:39:57 pm
Several thoughts:

great analysis Jay.  Tell me, what were your thoughts on today's game?  I honestly felt like towards the end of the game when we "knew" we were going to advance we started playing a little more free and creating some chances on goal. 

I personally like Gonzalez over Cameron in the back.  His height really helps us on corners/crosses and his length allows him to make some tackles I don't think Cameron can (two stuck out to me from the first half). 

I have really enjoyed seeing Yedlin on the wing.  Now he is a bit raw and idk if he's fit to play a full 90' but I think he creates more scoring opp's than Zusi.  And his speed gives other teams D's some problems, esp on the counter.

Our D/defensive midfielders really have to tighten up.  We were really having trouble marking and communicating when the Germans were sending midfielders to make runs through our D.  I thought it was gonna cost us early.  We started to figure it out a bit and looked better as the game went on but they were still running free through our D at times. 

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 02:30:47 pm

100% agree.  even down 1-0 I think we knew the score of the other game and continued to play conservative.  You could tell towards the end when we "knew" we started playing a little more free and had some good counters on the right with Yedlin and created a few attacks.  Think we've been playing conservative on purpose up to this point and I would expect us to open it up a bit in this next one.