Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA vs. Germany GAME THREAD

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 26, 2014, 01:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

This is it.

Win or Tie and we move on to the Round of 16 single elimination portion of the World Cup.  Here are all possible scenarios if we lose:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/world-cup-math--the-scenarios-the-u-s--could-face-on-thursday-012347730.html

GAME is on ESPN
Coverage starts at 10 a.m. CST
GAME kicks off at 11 a.m. CST

I'll be doing some play by play if you want to join in.

Striker Jozy Altidore has been ruled out of this game(hamstring).

I'll have the starting line-ups in the morning as soon as they are posted.

GO USA!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

GREAT article on our captain Clint Dempsey.  He grew up poor in a trailer park in Nacogdoches, TX, and "he has said he is forever motivated by the fear of seeing his game fall off, that he's never forgotten the sacrifices he and his family made growing up without great resources and sitting a three-hour drive from top youth teams in the Dallas area".

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reluctant-team-usa-star-clint-dempsey-sets-own-terms--leads-by-example-004942685-soccer.html
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

PonderinHog

Quote from: DewUar88 on June 26, 2014, 08:15:57 am
Hope my boss excepts it ^^
I'm sure he will take exception to it...

cbhawg03

Ghana will be without Boateng and Muntari, both were sent home. Muntari would have been out for the Portugal match anyways for Yellows.

Hopefully Portugal can win close and our result doesn't matter unless we absolutely get drilled. There is a difference in 5 goals between the US and Portugal.

razorbackfan86

First things first - Portugal vs. Ghana

PORTUGAL
LINE-UP:

G
22   Beto
D
2   Bruno Alves
D
3   Pepe
D
4   Miguel Veloso
D
21   João Pereira
M
6   William
M
8   João Moutinho
M
20   Rúben Amorim
F
7   Cristiano Ronaldo
F
11   Éder
F
17   Nani

GHANA
LINE-UP:

G
16   Fatawu Dauda
D
19   Jonathan Mensah
D
20   Kwadwo Asamoah
D
21   John Boye
D
23   Harrison Afful
M
7   Christian Atsu
M
8   Emmanuel Agyemang Badu
M
10   Andre Ayew
M
17   Mohammed Rabiu
M
18   Majeed Waris
F
3   Asamoah Gyan

The Group of Death's DEATH MATCH:

UNITED STATES
LINE-UP:

G
1   Tim Howard
D
3   Omar Gonzalez
D
5   Matt Besler
D
7   DaMarcus Beasley
D
23   Fabian Johnson
M
4   Michael Bradley
M
13   Jermaine Jones
M
14   Brad Davis
M
15   Kyle Beckerman
M
19   Graham Zusi
F
8   Clint Dempsey

GERMANY
LINE-UP:

G
1   Manuel Neuer
D
4   Benedikt Höwedes
D
5   Mats Hummels
D
17   Per Mertesacker
D
20   Jérome Boateng
M
7   Bastian Schweinsteiger
M
16   Philipp Lahm
M
18   Toni Kroos
F
8   Mesut Özil
F
10   Lukas Podolski
F
13   Thomas Müller

Gonzalez is in for Cameron.  Hogville's own Huckleberry Pig played against Omar Gonzalez a few years back.  We've got some soccer folks on this board baby!

Brad Davis - not sure if I like this move, but I'll give Klinsmann the benefit of the doubt.  His subs/choices for specific games have been pretty good so far.

Zusi in at forward - I would have rather seen Wondo.

Thoughts before we get going?

As far as Germany goes, Schweinsteiger and Podolski are a dangerous combination and I don't believe have started together.  Mueller always dangerous, and Germany still has the option to bring in the "human goal factory" Klose.

Field is wet, but so far ball seems to be moving well

CabotHog87

Offside on Germany??

Our D cannot shank those like that

razorbackfan86

Quote from: CabotHog87 on June 26, 2014, 11:06:30 am
I'm scared lol

Would feel alot better if Portugal would go up a few goals.

Geez - like I said last night I said we've got to maintain possession when we win it, instead of clearing it - One of the only weaknesses Howard has

At least we are attacking here.  Need Bradley to get going

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on June 26, 2014, 11:11:06 am
Would feel alot better if Portugal would go up a few goals.

Yeah, I'd take that too

Goal saving play by Gonzalez - but we are giving Germany WAY too much room to operate.

Come on guys, SUCK IT UP, DIG DOWN DEEP!

JayBell

I'm not liking this one bit.  Brad Davis is anonymous on that left side.  Germany is getting to the end line way too easily.

Portugal is pressing forward hard...

NICE shot by Zusi!!!

Bradley getting into it, and great start by Jones.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 11:17:14 am
I'm not liking this one bit.  Brad Davis is anonymous on that left side.  Germany is getting to the end line way too easily.

I agree.

JayBell

Great decision to switch Zusi and Davis.  Things have improved everywhere on the field since the change.

Each team playing/attacking cautiously

The Ref with a foul.  Needs to give himself a yellow

PonderinHog

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 11:28:36 am
The Ref with a foul.  Needs to give himself a yellow
I'd have bit him.

Horsesrus

The US should be ecstatic for most of the play from both sides to happen in the middle third.  90 minutes of that means advancement as long as the other game doesn't get one-sided.

4Lions04

Horsesrus

Goal for Portugal is excellent news for US fans.

razorbackfan86

Best chance so far, Jones is really giving it all

That's a HUGE save by Howard. 

Bradley getting into this game slowly, but still better than last 2 games.

Yellow for Gonzalez - man, we've got to be careful with those

Come on Zusi.......he's kicking field goals again...ugh

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 11:41:22 amCome on Zusi.......he's kicking field goals again...ugh

I have no idea why Davis isn't taking that corner kick.  Zusi has been awful on those.

Dempsey to Jones....Bradley had it!  But it slips right by him...

HogScoutMaster

The water logged field is really slowing play down
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Quote from: JayBell on June 26, 2014, 11:43:42 am
I have no idea why Davis isn't taking that corner kick.  Zusi has been awful on those.

The one Johnny Futbol put in for us to beat Ghana was Zusi's last great cross

DukeOfPork

After 45:

USA 0

Gernany 0

I'll take it.  This is one of those games where you don't want to beat yourself.  Just play solid.  Let it come to you.

I would like to see Bradley get the ball more and get in a zone.

But we are 45 min. away from the Round of 16!!!!

Horsesrus

Ideal first half for the US in my opinion. If they had more chances of their own I would be concerned they were being too aggressive.  Almost always had 9 men behind the ball defensively.  I will accept a 2:1 possession ratio for Germany as long as they aren't getting constant scoring chances.  They had a couple but no glaring ones.  Well done thus far.  Just don't want Portugal knocking in two goals early in the second half to create concern.

razorbackfan86

cosmodrum

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2014, 08:18:49 am
I'm sure he will take exception to it...

But what if he takes acception to it?
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Notshavin on June 26, 2014, 11:49:20 am
After 45:

USA 0

Gernany 0

I'll take it.  This is one of those games where you don't want to beat yourself.  Just play solid.  Let it come to you.

I would like to see Bradley get the ball more and get in a zone.

But we are 45 min. away from the Round of 16!!!!

Feels like the entire match has been played on our side of the field.
Go away, batin'

Yellow cards:
Germany - Howedes
USA - Gonzalez

Howard's made some goal-saving saves, and Gonzalez with a couple of great defensive plays, too.

Zusi with best opportunity with a rocket that barely misses the crossbar.

Shots on goal:
USA - 2
Germany - 6

Possession(means almost nothing in soccer):
USA - 36%
Germany 64%

Portugal's Ronaldo hits one off the crossbar, another header he should have put away - Then Ghana scores an own goal.

1-0 Portugal ahead.

Quote from: Horsesrus on June 26, 2014, 11:49:39 am
Ideal first half for the US in my opinion. If they had more chances of their own I would be concerned they were being too aggressive.  Almost always had 9 men behind the ball defensively.  I will accept a 2:1 possession ratio for Germany as long as they aren't getting constant scoring chances.  They had a couple but no glaring ones.  Well done thus far.  Just don't want Portugal knocking in two goals early in the second half to create concern.

Agree, good analysis

BTW, Suarez banned for 4 months for biting.

JayBell

I cannot breathe.....still.

The second halves of these games are going to be the death of me.  They drag on longer than anything else in the world.