Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Bret Bielema a good fit at Arkansas?

Started by VBHOG, June 24, 2014, 03:12:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramtough

Last time I checked they beat us. I can go back and look again but I'm sure the score hasn't changed. I didn't think Bielema was a good fit from the beginning IMO. I guess if he can keep the fans from leaving in the 3rd quarter this year that will be considered a improvement.

root_hawg

Just curious Ramtough, who did you want as coach?

ricepig

Quote from: Ramtough on June 24, 2014, 09:58:18 pm
Last time I checked they beat us. I can go back and look again but I'm sure the score hasn't changed. I didn't think Bielema was a good fit from the beginning IMO. I guess if he can keep the fans from leaving in the 3rd quarter this year that will be considered a improvement.

So, your only mark of improvement is a win? I thought maybe you actually had some relevant points, but your story was told in your last sentence. Enjoy the season.

HoopS

I actually saw improvement as the season wore on in some areas.  I think he's a good fit.  But he needs to start showing some more positive signs.  I expect we will have a true idea of our upside under him by year 4.

Ramtough

Quote from: HoopS on June 24, 2014, 10:19:41 pm
I actually saw improvement as the season wore on in some areas.  I think he's a good fit.  But he needs to start showing some more positive signs.  I expect we will have a true idea of our upside under him by year 4.
I would say we will have a good idea of exactly what we have to look forward to after the Tech game. I think we go to Arlington setting at 2-2 this year. He will get us to a bowl but it may take him 3 years to do it. Like I said earlier a lot of folks on HV just love the guy and I'm not real sure why?

Uncommon

Quote from: Ramtough on June 24, 2014, 10:33:19 pm
I would say we will have a good idea of exactly what we have to look forward to after the Tech game. I think we go to Arlington setting at 2-2 this year. He will get us to a bowl but it may take him 3 years to do it. Like I said earlier a lot of folks on HV just love the guy and I'm not real sure why?
There's a difference between love and support.  Most support him as he is the head coach of the Razorbacks and while last season was a worse case scenario, his future here shouldn't be judged on that one season considering the cupboard was a little bare when he got here (especially in the linebacker and defensive back department).  I mean, Chris Ash said some of our players wouldn't even make the Badgers roster.

Every one has their pros and cons with him.  For instance, I was hoping for a little better recruiting class this past year.  And while recruiting rankings don't tell all of the story, they do tell some of the story.

So saying we love the guy is exaggerated.  We support the guy.  Difference.

redeye

That was just weak.

Pennington used to write some decent stuff, but now he tries to hard at competing with Clay Travis.

1highhog

Yep, I believe he's a good fit.  Rule (1). So far he's put together a great staff.  Rule (2). Now we're beginning to see the results of the hard work and dedication of that staff as they go after the very best players in the Nation, even having them visiting here, something the previous staffs didn't do because they thought it was just a waste of time.  Rule (3). Last years class had some great players in it, players that you can build a Championship team with, now they are adding the beef to the lines for depth, as well as shoring up our biggest needs on Offense, big time WR's, and on Defense, the biggest need I think, the back 7.  If they get all of this in this upcoming class plus coach up what we already have on the team, then yeah, I think Bielema can Coach already, he's proven that, so he will win here to and win big when all above is seen through.

Steef

New head coach doesn't "fit" ....anything. If he knows his job, he builds a team that "fits"... him. If he fails...he moves on.

What Bret found when he got here...didn't " fit" anything.  Or anyone.

So the question ought to be...can he build a team? That fits him?

Looks like he can. But we don't know for sure, yet.

Pig Tymer

Quote from: VBHOG on June 24, 2014, 03:12:34 pm
Something in here for the Bielemers and the non-Beliemers.

http://mrsec.com/2014/06/one-big-question-arkansas-football-2014/

Definitely a more negative tone to this article. Not that I disagreed with it; there aren't many positives following a 3 win season and a mediocre recruiting class.

If we don't make a bowl game this year, there will be a lot of pressure on him to win big the following year. 2 straight sub-par years will lose a large portion of the fan base support.

ChitownHawg

June 25, 2014, 06:57:35 am #60 Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:58:04 am by ChitownHawg
Back when CBP was winning and our recruiting classes were so-so someone on HV provided stats on how recruiting classes had performed several years later. CBP's classes proved to outperform higher ranked classes.

With CBB putting so many into the NFL with classes ranked 30+ his classes probably have outperformed higher ranked classes.

It will be interesting to see where these classes end up in a couple of years.

It is the adage of "Not how you start the race, but finish."
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jkstock04

At Arkansas, to be the right fit, not only do you have to win...you gotta be other things as well. Gotta be a nice guy...god fearing/church goer...say all the right things...rub elbows with the media.

Is he the right fit? No telling yet...time will tell. So far he hasn't won, that's for certain. He for sure doesn't say all the right things...his mouth gets him in trouble. Winning is the key, if he can win it will over ride some of that other stuff, at least for a while until the "new" wears off. The new will be completely wore off by year 4. After that if he is winning it will be taken for granted and all this other stuff matters much more.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 25, 2014, 07:02:22 am
At Arkansas, to be the right fit, not only do you have to win...you gotta be other things as well. Gotta be a nice guy...god fearing/church goer...say all the right things...rub elbows with the media.

Is he the right fit? No telling yet...time will tell. So far he hasn't won, that's for certain. He for sure doesn't say all the right things...his mouth gets him in trouble. Winning is the key, if he can win it will over ride some of that other stuff, at least for a while until the "new" wears off. The new will be completely wore off by year 4. After that if he is winning it will be taken for granted and all this other stuff matters much more.

I remember people complaining that Coach Hatfield always used Scripture and I am not sure CBP even came close to this. So I am not sure that is a requirement by many Hog fans. For me personally I would like that, but it would be icing on the cake only.

Just be a decent human caring for family, school, and people in general would be a good start.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

LZH

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 25, 2014, 07:02:22 amThe new will be completely wore off by year 4.

I'd say that 'new car smell' is already fading.  If we look just as inept this year it will smell like someone had an accident in the back seat.....except it won't be an accident.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on June 25, 2014, 08:01:27 am
I'd say that 'new car smell' is already fading.  If we look just as inept this year it will smell like someone had an accident in the back seat.....except it won't be an accident.

I'm not sure what car you are riding in, but I think I will walk.  ;D

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 25, 2014, 08:09:16 am
I'm not sure what car you are riding in, but I think I will walk.  ;D

I usually ride in a really short bus.  I'm the cool guy in the back seat.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Uncommon on June 24, 2014, 11:06:16 pm
There's a difference between love and support.  Most support him as he is the head coach of the Razorbacks and while last season was a worse case scenario, his future here shouldn't be judged on that one season considering the cupboard was a little bare when he got here (especially in the linebacker and defensive back department). I mean, Chris Ash said some of our players wouldn't even make the Badgers roster.

Every one has their pros and cons with him.  For instance, I was hoping for a little better recruiting class this past year.  And while recruiting rankings don't tell all of the story, they do tell some of the story.

So saying we love the guy is exaggerated.  We support the guy.  Difference.

If Ash was right and it was the players then why was he shown the door?  If you are making staff changes after YEAR 1 there is something wrong.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 25, 2014, 08:30:55 am
If Ash was right and it was the players then why was he shown the door?  If you are making staff changes after YEAR 1 there is something wrong.

I believe the other parts of the "door" issue was lack of in game adjustments and communications. CBB said coomunications amongst the defenisve coaches wasn't what it should be. Well just as with making in game adjustments the DC should be making adjustments to clarify the communication process.

bigbadhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 24, 2014, 08:24:55 pm
recruited some great RB'S , QB'S TE's and O-LINEMEN . Got some good DE'S and a top DT , some good LB'S  too . that's a good start . Everyone thinks they know what he wants on offense , but his hiring Chaney says something totally different . They assume they know based on what he did at Wisconsin but they are about to be proven wrong . This year will remind more of CBP than the old CBB . He knows what he had to change to fit in the SEC . The offense was his first step

I don't believe that but will be pleasantly surprised if it is true...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

The Kig

Quote from: bigbadhog on June 25, 2014, 09:37:46 am
I don't believe that but will be pleasantly surprised if it is true...

What is it that you don't believe?  I get that the Wisky offense was run oriented, but that was more Alvarez's foundation and influence, even when CBB was HC.  I also get that last year we ran that ball quite a bit more than we passed. 

Here is why I DO believe that we will see a different offense on the field this year:

-Chaney was hired as the OC and has never been a ground and pound guy.  If CBB wanted to run the 3 yards and a cloud of dust, then why even hire Chaney?  Hire someone who runs that type of Offense. 

-We would have seen more of it last year, but after Allen got hurt we had ZERO serviceable backups that could throw a forward pass to a Razorback player.  The evidence was easy to see and the QB group has had turnover reflecting us not needing a really good hander-offer. 

-From various pieces that have come out this summer, Chaney has stated that he wasn't able to install large portions of the playbook last year, but in the 2nd year has been able to do that.  My guess is the plays that have been added aren't just multiple variations on the dive right/left, sweep right/left from Nutt's playbook.  (Forgot to add the all important Smoke Draw)

One of the things that has actually changed my initial reservations with CBB was in his Assistant Coaching hires.  Chaney made Tyler Bray look like a genius, just like Petrino made Casey Dick resemble an actual QB.  Defense wasn't cutting it and was too conservative, so he hired a guy that takes a much more aggressive stance in defensive philosophy. 

Last year was a complete cluster F... there is no arguing that.  What baffles me is why people continue to blame the guy that came in to clean up the mess like he was the one that created it. 

The dumpster fire CBB inherited only got worse when Allen got hurt... He tried Derby, who was obviously not a QB.  After that, he did what any coach would have done, hand the ball off to two of the best backs in the league.  Because it was so predictable, the results weren't as good as they could have been.  All the defense had to do was read which side we were going to run to and be there...
Poker Porker

Killean

We've won the SEC West 3 times with marginal recruiting classes.

We've gone to a BCS bowl with marginal recruiting classes.  We've been in position late in the season to have a shot at the national title game 3 Times since joining the SEC with marginal recruiting classes.

Given that recruiting appears to be improving and we might actually have something approaching depth in a couple of years... I think we're doing just fine.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Biggus Piggus

John Pennington likes to act as though he is knowledgeable about every SEC school, but he has not put much effort into learning about Arkansas. He makes up a "take" based on hearsay, then goes with it. He's really a joke when contested, can't stand the slightest critique.
[CENSORED]!

NaturalStateReb

Only time can tell if Bielema's the right guy for the job.  Gotta at least give the guy a reasonable opportunity to succeed before we start to seriously ask this question.

I think Bielema will in at Arkansas.  May take another year, but I think so.  Whether he can win enough in the long run, who knows.  I guess on a long enough timescale, virtually no one wins enough.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Biggus Piggus

THE one big question about Arkansas is the defense. You can point at Brandon Allen, but Arkansas isn't winning much if the defense is terrible again.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Gulf_Hog on June 25, 2014, 03:18:14 pm

You can win at Wisconsin with marginal recruiting classes, not in the SEC. It's apples and oranges. Bielema wil face 6 or 7 ranked teams this year at UA and would only face 1 at UW. He would win 10 again in Madison while that won't be the case in Fayetteville.

Badgers Schedule

Sat 8/30 LSU @ (14) LSU 9:00 pm ET
Sat 9/6 Western Ill.  Western Ill. TBA
Sat 9/20 Bowling Green  Bowling Green TBA
Sat 9/27 South Florida  South Florida TBA
Sat 10/4 Northwestern @  Northwestern TBA
Sat 10/11 Illinois  Illinois TBA
Sat 10/25 Maryland  Maryland 12:00 pm ET
Sat 11/1 Rutgers @  Rutgers 12:00 pm ET
Sat 11/8 Purdue @  Purdue TBA
Sat 11/15 Nebraska  Nebraska TBA
Sat 11/22 Iowa @  Iowa TBA
Sat 11/29 Minnesota  Minnesota 

Yeah, Bret is a good fit at UA, but he will grow into the job. He is a smart guy who knows how to recruit and win. Bret's success will depend on whether he wants to stay the course and get it done. He can do it, no doubt about it. If after 4 years he is not having enough success, might be easier to move on to an easier coaching position back in the Big Ten or another conference. I am betting he is the stubborn guy I think he is, who won't leave Fayetteville without making his mark on our program. It is a monumental task to win the SEC Championship.
Actually it is apples to apples and oranges to oranges since you are comparing what he did in the big ten with big ten talent to what he will do in the SEC with SEC talent.  If you cannot see the difference in talent then there is no hope.  I am not completely sold on him but I see the improvement in the type of players arriving on our campus.

Also, since they started tracking stars, we have never pulled in a single top 15 class, so who is going to come in here and do it?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

EastexHawg

June 25, 2014, 03:58:59 pm #75 Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:11:52 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: jkstock04 on June 25, 2014, 07:02:22 am

Maybe that's the way some people look at it, but not me.  In fact, I would edit your list as follows:

QuoteAt Arkansas, to be the right fit, not only do you have to win...you gotta be other things as well. Gotta be a nice guy...god fearing/church goer...say all the right things...rub elbows with the media.

I don't care if he kisses babies, shakes a million hands, drinks martinis with the bigwigs, tells fascinating stories and hilarious jokes to the media, and sits in the first pew every Sunday for four years.

The coach's primary...almost exclusive, in my opinion...job is to win football games without putting the program on NCAA probation.  Period.  If he does that, he fits just fine in my book.  Petrino was from Idaho if I recall correctly, and he fit what I had in mind for a Hog coach perfectly.

Nutt, on the other hand, was a good ol' Arkansas boy who could schmooze with the best of them.  I bought and drank a bottle of champagne the night I heard that moron was fired.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 25, 2014, 03:43:03 pm
Actually it is apples to apples and oranges to oranges since you are comparing what he did in the big ten with big ten talent to what he will do in the SEC with SEC talent.  If you cannot see the difference in talent then there is no hope.  I am not completely sold on him but I see the improvement in the type of players arriving on our campus.

Also, since they started tracking stars, we have never pulled in a single top 15 class, so who is going to come in here and do it?

I'm encouraged by the fact that Rivals has us currently at #19 when we only have 10 committments. The number of committments you have helps pile up the points for rankings on their system. Now will we stay at #18, move up or drop? If some of the kids that seem to be high on us end up committing, we might find ourselves with a top 15 class and that would certainly help the perception of our program nationally. Of course nothing will help the perception of our program like winning, so that of course needs to happen as well.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: The Kig on June 25, 2014, 02:31:49 pm
-Chaney was hired as the OC and has never been a ground and pound guy.  If CBB wanted to run the 3 yards and a cloud of dust, then why even hire Chaney?  Hire someone who runs that type of Offense. 

It has been suggested that Beliema is less than keen to let Chaney open up his offense like he wants to.  I certainly understand keeping it simple if you have a young QB, and would agree with it most of the time.  But BA isn't a young QB anymore.  So if there's any truth to all that, then we could be back to the mid-2000's all over again.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 25, 2014, 04:39:24 pm
It has been suggested that Beliema is less than keen to let Chaney open up his offense like he wants to.  I certainly understand keeping it simple if you have a young QB, and would agree with it most of the time.  But BA isn't a young QB anymore.  So if there's any truth to all that, then we could be back to the mid-2000's all over again.

Ok, well now we are suggesting it isn't true, you believe that too?

ChitownHawg

Actually I think the opposite. Some of the plays Chaney called when BA was struggling had me screaming "Are you kidding me!" I kept thinking he needs to simplify his play calling to allow BA to get his confidence. With our running game most times we didn't need 30 yard routes. Some simple short routes to keep the defense honest.

If I was CBB I would be telling Chaney I hope you call a better game than you did last year.  ;D

MuskogeeHogFan

Who suggested this, LZH? Hogville?
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

Any coach that wins in a good fit here.  We just wanna win, whether it's Sutton with his 4-corner stall or Nolan's 40 min of hell.

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 25, 2014, 03:42:57 pm
THE one big question about Arkansas is the defense. You can point at Brandon Allen, but Arkansas isn't winning much if the defense is terrible again.
#FACT

LZH

I don't have any way of knowing if it's true or not, it's just what I've been told.  I guess my point is that Chaney has proven himself to be a good offensive coach and playcaller.  Beliema has always coached defense, not offense.  I know it's not brain surgery, but I believe if you're gonna start micro-managing your coordinator then you hired the wrong guy in the first place.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2014, 04:49:44 pm
Who suggested this, LZH? Hogville?

I think he intentionally skipped his meds, so send him to the corner!  ;D

LZH

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 25, 2014, 04:56:10 pm
I don't have any way of knowing if it's true or not, it's just what I've been told.  I guess my point is that Chaney has proven himself to be a good offensive coach and playcaller.  Beliema has always coached defense, not offense.  I know it's not brain surgery, but I believe if you're gonna start micro-managing your coordinator then you hired the wrong guy in the first place.

He apparently didn't micro-manage his DC last year (which he knew something about), why would he try to micro-manage an OC who has proven himself to be a good offensive coach and play caller when that isn't his forte?
Go Hogs Go!

Augustus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 25, 2014, 03:42:57 pm

Agree here. In spite of Brandon Allen last year... had the defense performed better, we would have beat LSU, and should have beat MSU?

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 25, 2014, 05:00:41 pm
I think he intentionally skipped his meds, so send him to the corner!  ;D

Ha!  No way man.  If I skipped my meds, I may very well wind up butt naked in a Ronald Reagan mask spray painting dirty words on the windows at WalMart.....

lumphog

Quote from: bell2629 on June 24, 2014, 08:32:25 pm
So this dude grew up on a hog farm, walked on his college football team and turned it into a scholarship through dedication and hard work, says what he thinks even if it isn't pc or popular, doesn't back down from a fight, talks darn about Mississippi, builds under-recruited/underdeveloped kids into NFL caliber talent, likes to drink beer and show off his beer gut, likes hot blondes, hates Urban Meyer, loves to run the football between the tackles - and you're not sure he fits in here?

Where the hell did you grow up? This guy has Arkansas County, or Independence County, or Garland County written all over him. 
YEP!!!!   +100

DLUXHOG

Yes he's a good fit.  And BB will WIN this year (last 2 years won't even be a memory)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

lumphog

Quote from: Mike_e on June 24, 2014, 03:29:51 pm
So Bielema's not from the 'Deep South'.

Who gives a rat part, We're not Either. When there really was a deep south we were on the bleeding edge of civilization populated by people who were the get up an goers who got up and went to get their own piece of the pie.

We are southerners yes but we are also southwesterners and a significant part of the reason that oklahoma, texas and points due west and south exist.

Is Bielema brash?  Yep, ever seen Jerry Jones?  Can't keep his mouth shut?  OK, which among us has never spoken out of turn?  A Lot.

We are never going to be accepted as one of Bama's or Georgia's or whomever's old guard buds.  Bag 'em.

If the rest of the SEC want's to get upset about an in your face coach at the UA let them, because after all that's who WE are.
Have you ever been to the Delta ??? It dosen't get any more Deep South than that. We ARE most definitely  Deep South, as DEEEP as it gets. Maybe not so much in the west, but east DAMBSURE!!!

lumphog

Quote from: The Kig on June 25, 2014, 02:31:49 pm
What is it that you don't believe?  I get that the Wisky offense was run oriented, but that was more Alvarez's foundation and influence, even when CBB was HC.  I also get that last year we ran that ball quite a bit more than we passed. 

Here is why I DO believe that we will see a different offense on the field this year:

-We would have seen more of it last year, but after Allen got hurt we had ZERO serviceable backups that could throw a forward pass to a Razorback player.  The evidence was easy to see and the QB group has had turnover reflecting us not needing a really good hander-offer. 

-From various pieces that have come out this summer, Chaney has stated that he wasn't able to install large portions of the playbook last year, but in the 2nd year has been able to do that.  My guess is the plays that have been added aren't just multiple variations on the dive right/left, sweep right/left from Nutt's playbook.  (Forgot to add the all important Smoke Draw)

One of the things that has actually changed my initial reservations with CBB was in his Assistant Coaching hires.  Chaney made Tyler Bray look like a genius, just like Petrino made Casey Dick resemble an actual QB.  Defense wasn't cutting it and was too conservative, so he hired a guy that takes a much more aggressive stance in defensive philosophy. 

Last year was a complete cluster F... there is no arguing that.  What baffles me is why people continue to blame the guy that came in to clean up the mess like he was the one that created it. 

The dumpster fire CBB inherited only got worse when Allen got hurt... He tried Derby, who was obviously not a QB.  After that, he did what any coach would have done, hand the ball off to two of the best backs in the league.  Because it was so predictable, the results weren't as good as they could have been.  All the defense had to do was read which side we were going to run to and be there...
+1 good post

Jamie Jones

Quote from: LZH on June 24, 2014, 08:34:13 pm
However true some or all of that may be, he still laid an egg last year.  That's all that matters.
Tom Landry couldn't have coached that team to the season that you and a couple of others need to see to be happy. And as far as not being able "to pay players to come here to play", you are aware that Auburn was winless in the SEC two years ago, right? You are also aware that a three time defending Big 10 champion head coach is who all the media outlet picked to finish last in the league last season? They didn't base that prediction on Coach Bielema's coaching ability, sweetie! They based that SOLELY on the talent he inherited and the dumpster fire that he ran to in hopes of putting it out. Have your crow readily available, because I'm bookmarking this thread.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Hogwild

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 25, 2014, 06:57:35 am
Back when CBP was winning and our recruiting classes were so-so someone on HV provided stats on how recruiting classes had performed several years later. CBP's classes proved to outperform higher ranked classes.

With CBB putting so many into the NFL with classes ranked 30+ his classes probably have outperformed higher ranked classes.

It will be interesting to see where these classes end up in a couple of years.

It is the adage of "Not how you start the race, but finish."

I'm curious about that, and would love to see the numbers.  He likely had better classes than Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, & his record  is really good against them.
Not sure about Illinois and Nebraska.
I would think that Michigan, Michigan St, Penn State, & Ohio State, had better classes. He didn't have much success against them. 3-2 against Michigan, 1-5 against Ohio State.  Losing records against the other 2. Losing record in bowl games, did beat Nutt's final team.

Yes, his classes at Arkansas will rank higher than those in Wisconsin.  But his competition's will be ranked higher.  I was on ESPN.com today and saw our '15 class is ranked 23rd in the nation, but 10th in the SEC.

If he is going to be successful here he either needs to continue to improve our recruiting, have to be in the top 8 of the SEC on a regular basis. Or continue to get more out of his recruits than his competition.

Paul

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 25, 2014, 03:58:59 pm
Maybe that's the way some people look at it, but not me.  In fact, I would edit your list as follows:

I don't care if he kisses babies, shakes a million hands, drinks martinis with the bigwigs, tells fascinating stories and hilarious jokes to the media, and sits in the first pew every Sunday for four years.

The coach's primary...almost exclusive, in my opinion...job is to win football games without putting the program on NCAA probation.  Period.  If he does that, he fits just fine in my book.  Petrino was from Idaho if I recall correctly, and he fit what I had in mind for a Hog coach perfectly.

Nutt, on the other hand, was a good ol' Arkansas boy who could schmooze with the best of them.  I bought and drank a bottle of champagne the night I heard that moron was fired.
. Yup

hog911

"Arkansas lined up the nation's 29th best recruiting class in February (according to Rivals.com), but that was only 11th best in the SEC.  A Petrino or Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel could recruit like that and win because their systems rely on smarts, tempo and speed.  Beliema's system relies on having bigger, better players.  So Arkansas had better recruit bigger, better players than their SEC rivals or else their climb up the ladder could take more time than Hog fans are willing to spend."

Completely logical! So why do so many on here doubt it?

Jamie Jones

Quote from: hog911 on June 25, 2014, 08:19:46 pm
"Arkansas lined up the nation's 29th best recruiting class in February (according to Rivals.com), but that was only 11th best in the SEC.  A Petrino or Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel could recruit like that and win because their systems rely on smarts, tempo and speed.  Beliema's system relies on having bigger, better players.  So Arkansas had better recruit bigger, better players than their SEC rivals or else their climb up the ladder could take more time than Hog fans are willing to spend."

Completely logical! So why do so many on here doubt it?
Because games are won on the field, and not by a difference of a couple of recruiting points that are the difference between 1st in the SEC and 12th.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

MrThunderhog

Nope, not a good fit at all. I couldn't stand him at Wisconsin and think even less of him now.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hogwild on June 25, 2014, 07:49:59 pm

I'm curious about that, and would love to see the numbers.  He likely had better classes than Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, & his record  is really good against them.
Not sure about Illinois and Nebraska.
I would think that Michigan, Michigan St, Penn State, & Ohio State, had better classes. He didn't have much success against them. 3-2 against Michigan, 1-5 against Ohio State.  Losing records against the other 2. Losing record in bowl games, did beat Nutt's final team.

Yes, his classes at Arkansas will rank higher than those in Wisconsin.  But his competition's will be ranked higher.  I was on ESPN.com today and saw our '15 class is ranked 23rd in the nation, but 10th in the SEC.

If he is going to be successful here he either needs to continue to improve our recruiting, have to be in the top 8 of the SEC on a regular basis. Or continue to get more out of his recruits than his competition.

Do a search there are several threads on HV discussing this and has the numbers. And The rest of your post has nothing to do with the point I was making.