Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Bret Bielema a good fit at Arkansas?

Started by VBHOG, June 24, 2014, 03:12:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

"Arkansas lined up the nation's 29th best recruiting class in February (according to Rivals.com), but that was only 11th best in the SEC.  A Petrino or Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel could recruit like that and win because their systems rely on smarts, tempo and speed.  Beliema's system relies on having bigger, better players."

That comment shows the stupidity and ignorance of the writer. He clearly hasn't done any research on Bielema and what kind of players and recruiting classes he had at Wisconsin.

Killean

Given that the best players from Arkansas seem to be linemen and running backs with the occasional tight end and wide receiver mixed in.. I think he's ideal.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Mike_e

So Bielema's not from the 'Deep South'.

Who gives a rat part, We're not Either. When there really was a deep south we were on the bleeding edge of civilization populated by people who were the get up an goers who got up and went to get their own piece of the pie.

We are southerners yes but we are also southwesterners and a significant part of the reason that oklahoma, texas and points due west and south exist.

Is Bielema brash?  Yep, ever seen Jerry Jones?  Can't keep his mouth shut?  OK, which among us has never spoken out of turn?  A Lot.

We are never going to be accepted as one of Bama's or Georgia's or whomever's old guard buds.  Bag 'em.

If the rest of the SEC want's to get upset about an in your face coach at the UA let them, because after all that's who WE are.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ldfergu

Like most threads on here its too early to tell.  I think he's building a very good staff here that's doing an amazing job on the recruiting trail.  I believe Bielema has the potential to be the best HC we've had in a very long time.  Except for a few tweets I didn't care too much for, he's been exceptional off the field..something our program needs right now.  I just hope his style transfers to W's... We'll have a better idea of his capabilities after this season

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 24, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
"Arkansas lined up the nation’s 29th best recruiting class in February (according to Rivals.com), but that was only 11th best in the SEC.  A Petrino or Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel could recruit like that and win because their systems rely on smarts, tempo and speed.  Beliema’s system relies on having bigger, better players."

That comment shows the stupidity and ignorance of the writer. He clearly hasn't done any research on Bielema and what kind of players and recruiting classes he had at Wisconsin.

Here is my thoughts when I read that. He says we were 11th, but then says Auburn and Missouri ca have those type classes because they rely upon speed. So in other words they are recruiting players we are not. So for every SEC school running an uptempo should be taken out of the recruiting class calculation because their 4 stars players are different than the 4 stars players we are targeting.

So if we ran an uptempo we would be recruiting against those schools. Which means we are going to recruit against some school no matter what scheme we run.

Doesn't make sense to me.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

RT1941

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 24, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
"Arkansas lined up the nation's 29th best recruiting class in February (according to Rivals.com), but that was only 11th best in the SEC.  A Petrino or Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel could recruit like that and win because their systems rely on smarts, tempo and speed.  Beliema's system relies on having bigger, better players."

I "think" the writers just saying that Bret's scheme is more difficult to build than Petrino/Malzhan/Pinkel.  Bret needs brut strength, muscle, size - those things have to be built basically from scratch.  While the other coaches mentioned can take a Juco or a transfer QB and impliment a scheme with a simple gameplan and plays flashing on poster boards from the sidelines and it can be pretty successful right away.  I hope folks have patience with 2B's because it may take some time to get this train rollin.
RazorTusk!!!!

The Kig

Winning fixes everything. For Bielema, it is no different.  His personality will always rub some people the wrong way.  However, I also think that is true for many top tier coaches. 

One thing the writer did get right was regarding Saban.  If he had gone busto at BAMA, his antics wouldn't have been tolerated for very long.  Similar to Petrino, Saban's caustic nature is weighed against results.  Even Spurrier has his moments... but all of these guys put up numbers.

Considering the fact that it takes several years in most cases to develop a top flight OL player and the completely different view CBB has vs. CBP, last year was no surprise.  Add to that the lack of focus on Defensive talent, a 3-9 season was a perfect storm.  The real surprise may be how much improvement we can show this year.  Getting 1st year contributions from Kirkland and Skipper and an obvious focus on OL recruiting/development combined with a much more aggressive Defensive philosophy could pay dividends quickly.  CBB doesn't have to win the recruiting ranking battle, but part of the reason I think he is here is that he knows it is easier to get the type of players he wants to come to an SEC team than Madison, WI.  The #1 player at a position doesn't have to come here because the gap between the top 10 and top 30 players isn't nearly as big as it is made out to be and coaching/development makes stars out of lower ranked players.

CBB may be (dare I say it) pig headed at times, but he also believes strongly that he is developing a sustainable program from the ground up.  That takes time with gradual improvement leading to consistency in winning without losing records.  Last year wasn't on him, it was on the two clowns that preceded him. 
Poker Porker

RT1941

Quote from: The Kig on June 24, 2014, 03:44:31 pm
Last year wasn't on him, it was on the two clowns that preceded him.
+1
RazorTusk!!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

Yeah, Bielema's recruiting classes at Wisconsin were pretty bad. Like worse than Purdue and Minnesota bad. But he had arguably one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the country which kind of cancelled that out. His system doesn't necessarily rely on having bigger, better players. His system relies on not committing stupid penalties and turnovers, sustaining offensive drives, and playing smart defense. He probably won't win an SEC championship with his past two recruiting classes but it's good enough to have success in the SEC.

"At SEC Media Days last summer, Arkansas' coach got downright hot when told of something Malzahn had said.  Bielema blew his top as though Auburn's coach had insulted him, which he had not."

Really? The author must have a pretty liberal definition of "blew his top", because I don't think Bielema did any such thing. Here's a partial video of the incident. Also note when Gus starts talking about faking injuries after first downs. lol.
http://www.ktvu.com/videos/sports/sec-media-day-bret-bielema-gus-malzahn-on-hurry-up/v6rGW/

If that's blowing your top, then what words would the author use to describe Will Muschamp's typical demeanor on the sidelines?

I think a lot of this stuff comes from Bielema's extended press conferences. It seems like every one of his press conferences lasts 20-30 minutes. I remember Petrino's press conferences lasting about 5 minutes, but I might be wrong on that. So when Bielema speaks for 20-30 minutes, any 15 second snippet that is mildly controversial gets pasted all over the press. I've watched a lot of his talks with the media and I don't get where all the hate comes from. I've never heard him speak and thought, "Wow, what a giant douchebag" like so many other people apparently do.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

lumphog

The mans doing a helluva job. He's our coach. Aint goin nowhere. Give the man time & support him. He"s building it right. When he gets it built, we'll be competitive every year instead of once in a while. He WILL get us back to the top.....Give the man a shot, he's what we've got.

RollHogTide

I've never understood the term "good fit" when talking about coaching.  A new coach has to adapt his style to the players that he inherited to maximize THEIR potential, but it's the players that have to fit within a coaches scheme by year-3 to maximize the TEAM'S potential.  Although I'm indifferent towards Coach Spurrier, I believe he is the best at adapting to the players he has on his team.

So the question really isn't "is Coach Bielema a good fit?", rather is "Coach Bielema a good coach?".  Personally, I believe that he is a very good coach.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MJ2 on June 24, 2014, 04:01:16 pm
After 12 games - not a good fit.   His contract buyout tells you he doesn't care.
Not a good fit how, exactly?
All Gas, No Brakes!

kaki

Quote from: RT1941 on June 24, 2014, 03:43:29 pm
I "think" the writers just saying that Bret's scheme is more difficult to build than Petrino/Malzhan/Pinkel.  Bret needs brut strength, muscle, size - those things have to be built basically from scratch.  While the other coaches mentioned can take a Juco or a transfer QB and impliment a scheme with a simple gameplan and plays flashing on poster boards from the sidelines and it can be pretty successful right away.  I hope folks have patience with 2B's because it may take some time to get this train rollin.
Seems to me that so many opinions are based on just scratching the surface on the information and comparing apples to oranges.  Did Auburn's rebound derive its thrust from the Gus scheme or from the abundance of talent on the Auburn team?  Likely scheme had some influence, but was it more impactful than the talent level that was on his team?

Would the Hogs have won more games this past year under Gus than we did under Bret?  Can't say that we wouldn't have, but if one thinks that the Hogs would have enjoyed anywhere near the success that Auburn did, then it is time to put down the pipe.  Auburn has a much easier/stronger recruiting base and they were just a few years away from the National Championship which likely improved the recruiting buzz for multiple recruiting cycles.

It will be interesting to see if the Hogs can take on a toughness and swagger under Bielema.  If we can, then I feel we will be well off for the long-haul.  Better than Auburn, who knows--but very possibly better than we would have been under Gus.  The thrust of this message is comparing Gus/Auburn versus Bret/Arkansas is not Apples to Apples for the current time frame.  In time, it might be a fair comparison.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 24, 2014, 04:15:13 pm

If he answers you I bet the amswer is lame. He is just a drive by shooter looking to make some noise.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 24, 2014, 04:15:13 pm

Please don't ask questions like these to this guy.

grayhawg

We will have a better idea of what kind of fit he is after the 2016 season.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 24, 2014, 04:47:03 pm
Please don't ask questions like these to this guy.

Well the mods are clamping down on the granade throwers who only want to derail. If that is his intent then he will be gone soon.

Now I don't mind his reply about not caring, but what kind of logic is that comment built on? I'm not sure any and I will apologize to him if he comes back with a logical reply.  ;D

Uncommon

Quote from: grayhawg on June 24, 2014, 04:52:16 pm
We will have a better idea of what kind of fit he is after the 2016 season.
Exactly.  These types of articles are written a year too early in my opinion.

hogs24

Quote from: Mike_e on June 24, 2014, 03:29:51 pm

Who gives a rat part, We're not Either. When there really was a deep south we were on the bleeding edge of civilization populated by people who were the get up an goers who got up and went to get their own piece of the pie.

We are southerners yes but we are also southwesterners and a significant part of the reason that oklahoma, texas and points due west and south exist.

Is Bielema brash?  Yep, ever seen Jerry Jones?  Can't keep his mouth shut?  OK, which among us has never spoken out of turn?  A Lot.

We are never going to be accepted as one of Bama's or Georgia's or whomever's old guard buds.  Bag 'em.

If the rest of the SEC want's to get upset about an in your face coach at the UA let them, because after all that's who WE are.
+1 nice post
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

LZH

The writer didn't say anything untrue, and certainly not anything we haven't already re-hashed on here for six months.  Beliema's yapper is his worst enemy, it isn't his 'style' or his 'scheme'.  And as for recruiting 'his' type players and Auburn & Mizzou recruiting 'their' type players.....if a kid is 5'11" 210lbs and runs a 4.4 40, is he gonna run the ball better in Gus' offense or ours?  Does he automatically become a scat back in Gus' offense, or a power runner in ours?  My point?  It's that most of the time it doesn't matter, you recruit the best football players and athletes you can - then you teach them how to run whatever it is that you run.

WashUhog6

I feel like everyone focuses on Bielema's offensive style of ground and pound way too much when discussing his fit here and in the SEC. Our offensive recruiting is more than fine, in 2013 and 2014 we landed highly multiple highly ranked offensive lineman, running backs, quarterbacks, and even some receivers in 2014.

But they're ignoring the bigger issue, which is that Bielema wants to play a style that relies on defense without recruiting better defensive players than we've recruited in the past. That's our biggest hurdle moving forward because his two recruiting classes just do not have the type of defensive impact we need to win at a high level in the SEC without having an explosive offense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Well, I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a good fit. I can't name one tangible thing he has done that has shown any measure of success. Fortunately, we have a fresh season coming up.

Doesn't really matter either way. He's our guy, so we need to support the program.

Go Hogs

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 24, 2014, 07:08:28 pm
Well, I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a good fit. I can't name one tangible thing he has done that has shown any measure of success. Fortunately, we have a fresh season coming up.

Doesn't really matter either way. He's our guy, so we need to support the program.

Go Hogs

Not one thing?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pork Twain

Too earely to say, sadly the writers don't get that.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on June 24, 2014, 07:51:28 pm
Not one thing?
Let's see.....he's been very outspoken, gone 3-9 and already had to can a DC. He has pulled in a few good recruits, so there's that. 

Again, he has another chance to earn his paycheck this season. I'll have my crow on standby.

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 24, 2014, 08:13:50 pm
Let's see.....he's been very outspoken, gone 3-9 and already had to can a DC. He has pulled in a few good recruits, so there's that. 

Again, he has another chance to earn his paycheck this season. I'll have my crow on standby.

You and me both.

I realize you can't win as many games as he did at Wisconsin unless you are a good coach....but for whatever reason, he certainly didn't do a good job of coaching last year.

tophawg19

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 24, 2014, 07:08:28 pm

Go Hogs
recruited some great RB'S , QB'S TE's and O-LINEMEN . Got some good DE'S and a top DT , some good LB'S  too . that's a good start . Everyone thinks they know what he wants on offense , but his hiring Chaney says something totally different . They assume they know based on what he did at Wisconsin but they are about to be proven wrong . This year will remind more of CBP than the old CBB . He knows what he had to change to fit in the SEC . The offense was his first step
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Al Boarland

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 24, 2014, 08:24:55 pm
recruited some great RB'S , QB'S TE's and O-LINEMEN . Got some good DE'S and a top DT , some good LB'S  too . that's a good start . Everyone thinks they know what he wants on offense , but his hiring Chaney says something totally different . They assume they know based on what he did at Wisconsin but they are about to be proven wrong . This year will remind more of CBP than the old CBB . He knows what he had to change to fit in the SEC . The offense was his first step

Fair enough, but if we blow this year we won't even be able to pay recruits to step foot on campus. That's what makes this season so important. CBB will get time because of the investment, but if we don't win we don't get talent.

bell2629

So this dude grew up on a hog farm, walked on his college football team and turned it into a scholarship through dedication and hard work, says what he thinks even if it isn't pc or popular, doesn't back down from a fight, talks darn about Mississippi, builds under-recruited/underdeveloped kids into NFL caliber talent, likes to drink beer and show off his beer gut, likes hot blondes, hates Urban Meyer, loves to run the football between the tackles - and you're not sure he fits in here?

Where the hell did you grow up? This guy has Arkansas County, or Independence County, or Garland County written all over him. 
Praise the Lard!

LZH

Quote from: bell2629 on June 24, 2014, 08:32:25 pm
So this dude grew up on a hog farm, walked on his college football team and turned it into a scholarship through dedication and hard work, says what he thinks even if it isn't pc or popular, doesn't back down from a fight, talks darn about Mississippi, builds under-recruited/underdeveloped kids into NFL caliber talent, likes to drink beer and show off his beer gut, likes hot blondes, hates Urban Meyer, loves to run the football between the tackles - and you're not sure he fits in here?

Where the hell did you grow up? This guy has Arkansas County, or Independence County, or Garland County written all over him. 

However true some or all of that may be, he still laid an egg last year.  That's all that matters.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: LZH on June 24, 2014, 08:18:07 pm
You and me both.

I realize you can't win as many games as he did at Wisconsin unless you are a good coach....but for whatever reason, he certainly didn't do a good job of coaching last year.

If all you have in the cabinet is spam and ritz crackers dinner ain't gonna taste like a filet no matter how fancy the china is that you serve it on. He has had a couple trips to the store now so let's see what gets served.

Al Boarland

When you put it like that....

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 24, 2014, 08:34:13 pm
However true some or all of that may be, he still laid an egg last year.  That's all that matters.

Laid an egg... don't remember him squatting.

LZH

Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 24, 2014, 08:39:20 pm
If all you have in the cabinet is spam and ritz crackers dinner ain't gonna taste like a filet no matter how fancy the china is that you serve it on. He has had a couple trips to the store now so let's see what gets served.

Not talking about the talent.  I'm talking about how that talent never really improved throughout the year, and the entire team didn't improve from 2012....if he had done a good job, then we'd have seen both.  I'm not gonna start a rock throwing session, I've done that enough over the past 9 months.  But he definitely underperformed last year.

Quote from: ricepig on June 24, 2014, 08:42:38 pm
Laid an egg... don't remember him squatting.

Well, maybe that was me.

secfan30

Perfect quote. We should be lucky we are not part of the "Deep South" and be proud we have our own niche and unique place. Screw those that do not like what our coache says. I remember those, including myself, that turned away or defended the "blank you mother blanker" or the girl friend on the bike.

secfan30

Lol another great quote. This thread has some good ones.

root_hawg

chitwnhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 24, 2014, 08:29:38 pm
Fair enough, but if we blow this year we won't even be able to pay recruits to step foot on campus. That's what makes this season so important. CBB will get time because of the investment, but if we don't win we don't get talent.

There was a time when I would have agreed with you completely; I have come to believe the opposite. Every season since recruiting became more that just a blurb in the paper on signing day I have expected Arkansas to do well after a good/great season only to be disappointed. Bielema after a disastrous 2012 season recruited well and again after last season.

Other coaches were never able to capitalize on  their success and Bielema thus far has capitalized despite our recent failures. We will see what the future holds.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DawgTownHog on June 24, 2014, 09:06:36 pm
There was a time when I would have agreed with you completely; I have come to believe the opposite. Every season since recruiting became more that just a blurb in the paper on signing day I have expected Arkansas to do well after a good/great season only to be disappointed. Bielema after a disastrous 2012 season recruited well and again after last season.

Other coaches were never able to capitalize on  their success and Bielema thus far has capitalized despite our recent failures. We will see what the future holds.
And supposedly, 2015 recruiting is shaping up to be better than both.

chitwnhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 24, 2014, 09:13:15 pm
And supposedly, 2015 recruiting is shaping up to be better than both.

So far it would seem it is the best start we have ever had.

LZH

Quote from: DawgTownHog on June 24, 2014, 09:06:36 pm

A new coach's first class or two usually surges above what the previous (fired) coach's was, fwiw.

Not that this applies here, but I don't really know if a team's success actually boosts recruiting as often as everyone thinks it does.  It certainly should, but it isn't automatic.  Actually, how many times have we seen a coach have a bad year or two, and when it's obvious that his job is on the line he magically signs one of the best classes of his career?  He gets motivated and that causes him to get off his azz.

go hogues

Good post.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

chitwnhog

Quote from: LZH on June 24, 2014, 09:16:32 pm
A new coach's first class or two usually surges above what the previous (fired) coach's was, fwiw.

Not that this applies here, but I don't really know if a team's success actually boosts recruiting as often as everyone thinks it does.  It certainly should, but it isn't automatic.  Actually, how many times have we seen a coach have a bad year or two, and when it's obvious that his job is on the line he magically signs one of the best classes of his career?  He gets motivated and that causes him to get off his azz.

Agreed.

Ramtough

So many people on HV really love the guy. Is it possible that they could all be wrong. Is he a good fit at Arkansas? I can say that last year he was a terrible fit and I can show you a 3-9 record to back it up. I pray this year he starts to look like a good fit.

ricepig

Quote from: Ramtough on June 24, 2014, 09:34:45 pm
So many people on HV really love the guy. Is it possible that they could all be wrong. Is he a good fit at Arkansas? I can say that last year he was a terrible fit and I can show you a 3-9 record to back it up. I pray this year he starts to look like a good fit.

So, everything was Bielema's fault?

Ramtough

He is the guy that we pay to coach. Everything that happens on the field he gets credit for or he will get criticised for. We showed very little improvement as the year progressed. He seemed almost uninterested at times watching him on the sidelines. I won't give him a pass because this is just his second year either.

Uncommon

Quote from: Ramtough on June 24, 2014, 09:50:42 pm
We showed very little improvement as the year progressed.
LSU game was not an improvement?

ricepig

Quote from: Ramtough on June 24, 2014, 09:50:42 pm
He is the guy that we pay to coach. Everything that happens on the field he gets credit for or he will get criticised for. We showed very little improvement as the year progressed. He seemed almost uninterested at times watching him on the sidelines. I won't give him a pass because this is just his second year either.

Yeah, we didn't look better against OM, MSU, or LSU than earlier.