Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quarterback Development

Started by WilsonHog, June 22, 2014, 12:16:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 29, 2014, 11:34:53 am
Of course they are different. But for a true freshman closing on the #2 spot this quickly says a lot. Now he hasn't accomplished this. Your post just seemed to read as if it were a done deal that AA had the #2.

If true, it either says something really good about Peavey or it says something not so good about the level of competition that he faces, and I am not sure which is most correct.

And as of the close of spring ball, I was under the impression that AA was the #2.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 05:39:09 am
If true, it either says something really good about Peavey or it says something not so good about the level of competition that he faces, and I am not sure which is most correct.

And as of the close of spring ball, I was under the impression that AA was the #2.

You are correct AA is #2. However, iirc CBB stated in a post Spring presser Peavey had closed the gap. Now I will say it is a dangerous thing to go off of my memory so take it for what it is worth.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

texas tush hog

Quote from: daBoar on June 22, 2014, 03:06:08 pm
I believe our last highly rated QB transferred out while our last highly rated All SECer transferred in.

Speaking of Tavarres Jackson and Ryan Mallet, good point.

DoctorSusscrofa

Are there any reliable statistics available showing how many QBs that transfer from one school to another become immediate starters?  It would be really interesting to know how many times a kid transfers out thinking he deserves to start this year and then immediately becomes the starter (even if it's after sitting out a year after transfer).
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 29, 2014, 09:47:51 am
I thought at the conclusion of Spring Peavey was closing the gap on AA?
Actually the last two weeks of the spring Austin Allen separated himself from Peavey and closed the gap on Brandon Allen.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 30, 2014, 05:45:38 am
You are correct AA is #2. However, iirc CBB stated in a post Spring presser Peavey had closed the gap. Now I will say it is a dangerous thing to go off of my memory so take it for what it is worth.  ;)
Bielema actually said that about Peavey during the 3rd week of the spring.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 01, 2014, 11:01:25 am
Actually the last two weeks of the spring Austin Allen separated himself from Peavey and closed the gap on Brandon Allen.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 01, 2014, 11:02:28 am
Bielema actually said that about Peavey during the 3rd week of the spring.

So I was right... then wrong.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pig In The City

Quote from: uams1989 on June 22, 2014, 01:33:19 pm
It's easy to say as someone who didn't ever have the opportunity, but, I also think it's tied to players (not just QBs) leaving after their junior year. There is this mad rush to make the money (understandably so) that they don't think they can afford to be a backup someplace if they can start someplace else.

Once again, it's all about the money and it may eventually ruin the sport we all love.

You make a good point.  There is such a rush to create flash and visibility because that is what NFL owners are buying into right now.  I think things like this are always cyclical.  Once teams get burned by the Cams and the Johnny Footballs not materializing into great QBs like Manning, Brady, and others, it will swing the other way.

Mike_e

Or it could just be that good quarterbacks are good leaders and good leaders aren't very good followers. 

It's not that they are prima donnas it's that 'leadership' is an innate quality  they can't change anymore than they can change the color of their eyes.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on July 03, 2014, 06:57:55 am
Or it could just be that good quarterbacks are good leaders and good leaders aren't very good followers. 

It's not that they are prima donnas it's that 'leadership' is an innate quality  they can't change anymore than they can change the color of their eyes.

Yeah but even good or great leaders know that they have to learn as they move up the ladder. Problem is, some never achieve to the level that they should have because they think they already have developed skills and knowledge at a level that is well above their competition, when that may not be the same perception held by the coaching staff.

Sometimes, these kids grow impatient and transfer for what they perceive to be a better opportunity. Problem is, most transfers under these circumstances don't end up as well as they might have hoped. Patience is a virtue the vast majority of the time. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 01, 2014, 11:01:25 am

This ^^^^^
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.