Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quarterback Development

Started by WilsonHog, June 22, 2014, 12:16:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

A tweet from a college football analyst - I wish I could remember who - came across my twitter feed last week. The gist of it was that developing quarterbacks is much more difficult now because when a QB with promise doesn't win the job he transfers out.

I haven't seen any data on that, but it did start me thinking about how much the game has changed. I remember a time as a Razorback fan when a freshman quarterback was not expected to play, even in a backup role. He would likely redshirt, maybe sit for another year or two, and be ready to take the reigns as a junior - after two or three years in the program.

Have we lost that, or is the commentator wrong and I'm just misremembering?

HawgTide

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 22, 2014, 12:16:45 pm
A tweet from a college football analyst - I wish I could remember who - came across my twitter feed last week. The gist of it was that developing quarterbacks is much more difficult now because when a QB with promise doesn't win the job he transfers out.

I haven't seen any data on that, but it did start me thinking about how much the game has changed. I remember a time as a Razorback fan when a freshman quarterback was not expected to play, even in a backup role. He would likely redshirt, maybe sit for another year or two, and be ready to take the reigns as a junior - after two or three years in the program.

I think it was Gerry DiNardo last week on Bo's show.He was talking about how much the game has changed and said now you can't have QB depth because parents are helping their kids transfer when they aren't named the starter instead of telling them to stick it out.

ricepig

It was Gerry Dinardo, he basically said that they don't sit and wait, that QB's will transfer out. Kids want to play, if they see they are not the man, they look to find a place where they are. Some seek equal situations, some have to drop a level to find playing time.

Poker_hog

Coaches are way more likely to program hope than kids.  Laughable that he criticizes players/parents for doing what they think is in their best interest.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

WilsonHog

Quote from: Poker_hog on June 22, 2014, 12:36:00 pm
Coaches are way more likely to program hope than kids.  Laughable that he criticizes players/parents for doing what they think is in their best interest.

Coaches typically stay at a job three-plus years before leaving, don't they?

As for me, I most certainly am not criticizing players. I'm making more of a commentary on the current state of the game, and the impact we might see on the field as a result.

Hogwild

Off the top of my head, the past few season we have seen a bunch in the SEC, many from other SEC schools-

Mallet-Arkansas
Newton-Auburn
Mettenburger-LSU
Coker- Bama
Rivers- Vandy
Masoli-Ole Miss
Schaeffer- Ole Miss

Poker_hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 22, 2014, 12:44:01 pm
Coaches typically stay at a job three-plus years before leaving, don't they?

As for me, I most certainly am not criticizing players. I'm making more of a commentary on the current state of the game, and the impact we might see on the field as a result.

I should have been clear, I don't think it's fair that coach dinardo is looking down at players/parents. 

Agents/coaches are always looking for better gigs rather than sticking it out and building a program where they're at. 

We all do this in our personal life and shoud.  It bothers me when a coach is hypocritical about transfers.

uams1989

It's easy to say as someone who didn't ever have the opportunity, but, I also think it's tied to players (not just QBs) leaving after their junior year. There is this mad rush to make the money (understandably so) that they don't think they can afford to be a backup someplace if they can start someplace else.

Once again, it's all about the money and it may eventually ruin the sport we all love.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

daBoar

I believe our last highly rated QB transferred out while our last highly rated All SECer transferred in.

BPsTheMan

there's no reason to broad brush any trend here one way or the other

QB's were playing this same game 30 years ago

some are spoiled brats now - some were spoiled brats 30 years ago when it happened then

some are not spoiled brats, now or then

southeasthog

Quote from: Hogwild on June 22, 2014, 12:59:56 pm
Off the top of my head, the past few season we have seen a bunch in the SEC, many from other SEC schools-

Mallet-Arkansas
Newton-Auburn
Mettenburger-LSU
Coker- Bama
Rivers- Vandy
Masoli-Ole Miss
Schaeffer- Ole Miss
The difference with this list than what WH posted is that almost all on your list left for different reasons than not winning the starting job.

Mallett- coaching change
Newton- kicked out of Florida
Mettenburger- kicked out of Georgia
Coker- This applies. Not beating out Winston
Rivers-Applies
Massoli- Kicked out of Oregon
Schaeffer-Basically kicked out of Tennessee

Wow. The SEC sure does love giving those kicked out QB's a second chance.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: southeasthog on June 22, 2014, 04:12:46 pm
The difference with this list than what WH posted is that almost all on your list left for different reasons than not winning the starting job.

Mallett- coaching change
Rivers-Applies

Chad Kelly next?

Athog

Quote from: daBoar on June 22, 2014, 03:06:08 pm
I believe our last highly rated QB transferred out while our last highly rated All SECer transferred in.

Turned out great for us!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: southeasthog on June 22, 2014, 04:12:46 pm

Mallett- coaching change
Rivers-Applies

I thought Massoli graduated and went to Ole Miss as a grad student exception?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 22, 2014, 05:56:56 pm

I did too.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I t wasn't all that long ago that kid's played their senior years and incoming starting Qb's were juniors.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

southeasthog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 22, 2014, 05:56:56 pm
OXFORD — Jeremiah Masoli says he will play football for the University of Mississippi this fall, as the Rebels appear poised to take a chance on a talented quarterback whose career has been marred by recent off-the-field issues.
"I am very excited about this opportunity and very thankful Ole Miss is giving me this chance," Masoli wrote on his personal website. "I really want to thank Coach (Houston) Nutt for believing in me."

Masoli has not responded to multiple interview requests from The Clarion-Ledger.

CAMPUS RIVALRY: Masoli confirms he's going to Ole Miss on website
Masoli, the former University of Oregon quarterback who led the Ducks to a Rose Bowl last season, visited the Ole Miss campus this weekend, meeting with coaches, players, administrators and academic staff.

Nutt said he stressed to Masoli that he would be under the "highest scrutiny."

"The rules are going to be different for him," Nutt said. "I told him I have zero tolerance. I have a hairtrigger. I know he knows I will pull the trigger so fast."

Though he's announced his intention to come to Oxford, there are still a few steps remaining before he is cleared to play his senior season.

He has applied to enter the Parks and Recreation graduate program at Ole Miss, but hasn't been accepted as of Sunday evening. The NCAA also has to waive a one-year residency requirement, which is usually granted if the athlete chooses a graduate program not offered at his previous school.

But there's a reason he was looking for a new home to use his final year of eligibility: He was kicked off Oregon's team in June after two run-ins with police.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-08-02-masoli-mississippi_N.htm

DeltaBoy

Well it has changed cause no one running the Wishbone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

It is my opinion that there are far more college level QBs than 40 or 50 years ago.  I also realize that 2nd stringers usually got to play a lot in a supporting role.  Holtz would play his 2nd stringer some every game and not just when the game was won or lost.

Also the Kid knows: 1:  Coach is here for the money.  2:  The University is here for the money.  3:  I was chosen to come here to help them make the money.  4:  Looks like they found someone else who they believe can more likely bring in the money.  5:  I am either good enough to play on Sunday or I ain't.  Either way, I won't get to play here.  In the end, I am here for the money or if not good enough, for the fun of PLAYING, not sitting on the bench while Mr. First Rounder shows his stuff.  Teams usually only play one QB at a time while every other position requires 2 or more similar type players on the field.  QB chances are slim at best.  I do not blame any player for transferring for playing time.

Schollies are for 1 year at a time.  Coaches can leave anytime.  No one blames a school for taking away a schollie or a coach for finding better work.  If a family's plans are not working out, then move on.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: southeasthog on June 22, 2014, 06:46:49 pm
OXFORD — Jeremiah Masoli says he will play football for the University of Mississippi this fall, as the Rebels appear poised to take a chance on a talented quarterback whose career has been marred by recent off-the-field issues.
"I am very excited about this opportunity and very thankful Ole Miss is giving me this chance," Masoli wrote on his personal website. "I really want to thank Coach (Houston) Nutt for believing in me."

Masoli has not responded to multiple interview requests from The Clarion-Ledger.

CAMPUS RIVALRY: Masoli confirms he's going to Ole Miss on website
Masoli, the former University of Oregon quarterback who led the Ducks to a Rose Bowl last season, visited the Ole Miss campus this weekend, meeting with coaches, players, administrators and academic staff.

Nutt said he stressed to Masoli that he would be under the "highest scrutiny."

"The rules are going to be different for him," Nutt said. "I told him I have zero tolerance. I have a hairtrigger. I know he knows I will pull the trigger so fast."

Though he's announced his intention to come to Oxford, there are still a few steps remaining before he is cleared to play his senior season.

He has applied to enter the Parks and Recreation graduate program at Ole Miss, but hasn't been accepted as of Sunday evening. The NCAA also has to waive a one-year residency requirement, which is usually granted if the athlete chooses a graduate program not offered at his previous school.

But there's a reason he was looking for a new home to use his final year of eligibility: He was kicked off Oregon's team in June after two run-ins with police.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-08-02-masoli-mississippi_N.htm

Once again my brilliant memory has failed me.  ;D Appreciate it.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

PurpleBullHog

Transfers happen.  But Wilson sat behind Mallett and took over as a junior, B-Allen red shirted and then sat for a year, and A-Allen redshirted last year and is going to sit again this year and probably next and take over a a junior.  This Rafe kid will redshirt and probably sit a couple of years.  I don't think you misremembered, I think that's the way it still is.  Even these transfers aren't taking over as freshmen.  They are basically taking a redshirt year when they sit out after transferring.  I don't know that it's an expectation or entitlement so much as it is that they get to campus and didn't have what it took yet -- they weren't as good as they thought they were just yet.  Transfers happen, sometimes kids just get their choices wrong. 

As for a lot of the recent SEC transfer list, most of those were because of behavioral problems, not because they lost the job. 

HogFanatic

I basically agree with the fella that was saying that this dude is being hypocritical.

EVERYONE should always be looking to position themselves better in this world. Collegiate athletes are no different. These kids are sold a bag of goods when they are recruited and they are hedging their financial future on their ability to produce at the collegiate level in hopes of playing in the bigs. Lets not kid ourselves here, if you are good enough to be a starting quarterback in the SEC, you DO have a chance to go to the NFL with the proper coaching. A good case in point would be our own Mitch Mustain. I have NO DOUBTS at all that if he had been coached by Petrino he would be in the league today.

I don't blame him for transferring out. His coach was a dork (his own words). Unfortunately he chose a program that simply couldn't use him as he was competing against OTHER Parade All American type recruits.

To come back to my point, this same coach is always looking to further himself in his own career. Collegiate quarterbacks are no different. These dudes signed on to play college ball, not join the damn military. If they don't like the culture when they get there, they are free to go to school elsewhere.

bruisemeister

Theres only room for one QB. They all come thinking they will be the man. It will be interesting who will be leaving at the end of this season especially with Storey coming in.

Anyway, history shows a change of scenery has worked out well for some former Hog QBs.
Mike Cherry went to the NFL after transferring to Murray State.
Tavaris Jackson did the same after transferring to Alabama A and M(somewhere like that)
Zak Clark and Nathan Dick excelled at UCA after transferring out.
One former Hog QB ended up being the coach years later after transferring to Oklahoma State.

In all these cases, the Hogs still did well with the guy who stayed. Barry Lunney ended up leading the Hogs to their first SEC West championship, Matt Jones is one of the Hogs all time greats. Ryan Mallett led the Hogs to their first BCS game and Kevin Scanlon led the Hogs to the Sugar Bowl.

Now there are some where the stories were not as good for the transferee but we know them well and don't need to get into them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Which school (or schools) has had more problems with QB transfers than others? I'm not sure. But if the notion is that you can't line up talented QB's on your roster and retain them, then you would think that the schools that produce the most NFL Draftees might have more problems than those who don't because of so much talent being on their rosters and so many egos (of players and parents) believing that they should be starting? Maybe?

Since 2000, here is how many QB's have been drafted from each of these schools listed below. Have they had problems retaining QB's because of competition?

6      USC, LSU
5      Georgia, Louisville
4      FSU, Michigan, Ohio St, Oregon, Stanford, Texas A&M, Washington
3      Alabama, Florida, Fresno St, Mich St, Notre Dame, OU, Purdue, Tenn, Texas, Va Tech, W. Va, Wisconsin.                 
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Ah, and there it is.  Yeah I forgot about that too.

Actually, looking back, is that where Nutt's "people heppin'" came from?

Biggus Piggus

Mallett-Arkansas -- coaching change + radical change in offense at Michigan
Newton-Auburn -- caught stealing at Florida
Mettenburger-LSU -- various transgressions at Georgia
Masoli-Ole Miss -- caught stealing + dopesmoking at Oregon

Not all of these stories are cases of impatient freshmen.
[CENSORED]!

hogville38

Laughable that you approve of this. I for one don't teach my kids to make a commitment and back out. Teaching them to give up and go somewhere else cause they didn't start right away is just teaching your kid to be a spoiled brat. Work harder and get better and get the starting job. So do you just quit a job when you don't get your way? This is the problem with the country now. A bunch of spoiled arse kids that work for nothing and get handed everything. So, I would say you sir are the one that's Laughable. Good day.

secneahog

Freshman make more of a impact now of days.

Back in the day they did have to sit and wait. But with camps and better training facilities kids coming out of HS are way more developed.

The game has evolved.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogville38 on June 23, 2014, 10:05:31 am
Laughable that you approve of this. I for one don't teach my kids to make a commitment and back out. Teaching them to give up and go somewhere else cause they didn't start right away is just teaching your kid to be a spoiled brat. Work harder and get better and get the starting job. So do you just quit a job when you don't get your way? This is the problem with the country now. A bunch of spoiled arse kids that work for nothing and get handed everything. So, I would say you sir are the one that's Laughable. Good day.

I also think CBB is correct that if the NCAA would allow the school to pay for one parent to attend with the kid during officiao visit their decisions may be more informed. Thus less likely to transfer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 23, 2014, 11:05:58 am
I also think CBB is correct that if the NCAA would allow the school to pay for one parent to attend with the kid during officiao visit their decisions may be more informed. Thus less likely to transfer.

While I agree, I believe the A&M's, Auburns, etc would not like this because of the extra curricular's that go on during an official... That a parent might just not approve of.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 23, 2014, 11:15:45 am
While I agree, I believe the A&M's, Auburns, etc would not like this because of the extra curricular's that go on during an official... That a parent might just not approve of.

Your point probably crossed CBB's mind, but you know he can only think it - not say it.  ;D

PorkRyan

I think the bigger issue is a lack of knowledge from the QB coaches.  Most NFL QB's and the top college QB's have private QB instructors.  Manziel made his big splash after going to San Diego to work with Whitfield.  He is just one of many who do that.  QB development should be the #1 priority of any coach.  It is why Petrino is so successful.  It is why top QB's were lining up to go to Pedo St to play for O'Brien.  What are these guys doing that 80% of other college QB coaches are not doing?   

PonderinHog

three hog night

Quote from: PurpleBullHog on June 22, 2014, 09:45:48 pm
Transfers happen.  But Wilson sat behind Mallett and took over as a junior, B-Allen red shirted and then sat for a year, and A-Allen redshirted last year and is going to sit again this year and probably next and take over a a junior.  This Rafe kid will redshirt and probably sit a couple of years.  I don't think you misremembered, I think that's the way it still is.  Even these transfers aren't taking over as freshmen.  They are basically taking a redshirt year when they sit out after transferring.  I don't know that it's an expectation or entitlement so much as it is that they get to campus and didn't have what it took yet -- they weren't as good as they thought they were just yet.  Transfers happen, sometimes kids just get their choices wrong. 

As for a lot of the recent SEC transfer list, most of those were because of behavioral problems, not because they lost the job.

I feel the same.   I think that CBB's first year should not be indicative of this staff's ability to coach a QB.  BA was starting for the first time and then damaged his throwing shoulder early in the 3rd game.   We don't have enough data to determine what this staff can do in QB development
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 27, 2014, 07:14:38 am #34 Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:27:19 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: PurpleBullHog on June 22, 2014, 09:45:48 pm

The thing is, the margin of difference between Mallett and Wilson at the time that Mallett started, was pretty wide. Mallett left, Wilson after having sat, steps in. Again, the margin of difference between the abilities of Wilson and BA was pretty wide at the time. So who was going to be the starter in each of these cases was a foregone conclusion.

Last year we had BA and apparently the margin of difference between he and his younger brother was equally as wide, which is how we wound up with Derby playing for a bit and then an injured BA stepping back in and enduring the remainder of the season.

This year we have BA again (with 2 years of eligibility remaining, 2014-15) and what we don't know at this point is how wide the margin of difference is between BA, AA and Rafe Peavey. And then of course we have Storey waiting in the wings.

Personally, I think that if AA and Peavey are the QB's that everyone has touted them to be, short of a break out year by BA this year, one of those three might consider transferring after the 2014 season.

Should BA improve his play and it appears that he is going to remain the starter, which would give him the lead to start next year as well, does AA want to sit two more years, after having already sat for one, waiting for his opportunity with Peavey and Storey nipping at his heels?

Or, if BA doesn't play as well as they want and AA replaces him during this season with Peavey right behind him, would BA want to stay for another season (2015) likely standing on the sideline holding a clipboard? Or does he decide to transfer to somewhere that he can go start and play in his final season?

Or, should BA separate himself from the competition and it becomes clear that he is going to be the starter the next two years and AA also steps up his game where he appears to be the heir apparent, does Peavey really want to ride the pine and hold the clipboard for 3 or 4 years waiting for his turn behind Center?

And all of this doesn't even bring Storey into the equation and it is pretty certain that he is going to be a competitor for the position.

Point is, not everyone is going to stand patiently on the sideline and wait their turn. I would submit that the odds of one of these three transferring after this coming season would seem to be pretty high. Maybe I am wrong and everyone is patient enough to sit and wait, but I am not sure that will be the case.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Quote from: hogville38 on June 23, 2014, 10:05:31 am

Work smarter not harder my friend.  I agree hard work is necessary for success but so is adaptability.  I'd leave my current gig in a heartbeat if I had a better opertunity for me and my family.  Denieing yourself advancement because of a perceived commitment is foolish.  These kids have the potential to make millions.  Don't blame them at all for making a smart business decision.

MuskogeeHogFan

I have no problem with kids transferring. I hate to see it because it sometimes doesn't work out as well as they might have hoped, but there are certainly times that it was the best thing for all parties involved.

And I think Dinardo is right, some kids think they are better than really are and have a tendency to be impatient instead of sticking it out, developing and waiting their turn. But, I am also an advocate of a change in the transfer rules that if a player has his Coach replaced or he leaves for some other job (whose philosophy is the reason that he signed), then the kid should be able to transfer and be eligible immediately.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

.........."The rules are going to be different for him," Nutt said. "I told him I have zero tolerance. I have a hairtrigger. I know he knows I will pull the trigger so fast."................

"hairtrigger" nutt.... :D
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

The first development a young QB needs is for the coach to tell the Kid, look we think you are good, real good.  But let me remind you that I have a couple of other Guys already there who I also think is real good and I'll play the one who can keep me making the big bucks the longest, er, I mean, who I think will be more likely to win for the team.  That ain't gonna happen.

secneahog

Quote from: 12247 on June 27, 2014, 04:30:26 pm
The first development a young QB needs is for the coach to tell the Kid, look we think you are good, real good.  But let me remind you that I have a couple of other Guys already there who I also think is real good and I'll play the one who can keep me making the big bucks the longest, er, I mean, who I think will be more likely to win for the team.  That ain't gonna happen.

Him.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on June 27, 2014, 04:30:26 pm

I've seen a lot of coaches, not just one or two, whose philosophy was, "You want to play more? Show it in practice, show it when you are given the chance to play. Do that and you'll play more". Most coaches aren't too shy to pass this little tidbit of guidance along to younger players who complain about a lack of playing time.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2014, 04:24:35 pm

And I think Dinardo is right, some kids think they are better than really are and have a tendency to be impatient instead of sticking it out, developing and waiting their turn. But, I am also an advocate of a change in the transfer rules that if a player has his Coach replaced or he leaves for some other job (whose philosophy is the reason that he signed), then the kid should be able to transfer and be eligible immediately.

I agree, but the problem is that qbs don't developed very well holding the  clipboard.  Being the starter gets you all the reps and the best teaching. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on June 27, 2014, 05:33:09 pm
I agree, but the problem is that qbs don't developed very well holding the  clipboard.  Being the starter gets you all the reps and the best teaching. 

And the problem with that is, not everyone is going to be the starter, and they might not all get juice boxes either.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Poker_hog on June 27, 2014, 05:33:09 pm

Working with the 1s is true only when the season starts. Maybe part of Fall camp as well. They get snaps with the 2s and 3s. A good coach will also throw the backups in with the 1s to see how they handle it.

So watching film, studying the playbook, and working out with the 2s allows the backup QB to memorize the plays. Then when it is time they move to the 1s and it is simply a matter learning the speed as they have the playbook already down.

This is a system used for many years by coaches all over the US and many top QBs have learned under this system.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2014, 06:57:10 am
Which school (or schools) has had more problems with QB transfers than others? I'm not sure. But if the notion is that you can't line up talented QB's on your roster and retain them, then you would think that the schools that produce the most NFL Draftees might have more problems than those who don't because of so much talent being on their rosters and so many egos (of players and parents) believing that they should be starting? Maybe?

Since 2000, here is how many QB's have been drafted from each of these schools listed below. Have they had problems retaining QB's because of competition?

6      USC, LSU
5      Georgia, Louisville
4      FSU, Michigan, Ohio St, Oregon, Stanford, Texas A&M, Washington
3      Alabama, Florida, Fresno St, Mich St, Notre Dame, OU, Purdue, Tenn, Texas, Va Tech, W. Va, Wisconsin.                 
not trying to derail the thread by changing topic. Looking at this list it surprised me that LSU has had so many QB's drafted with that position seeming to not always be a strength. They are always a Defense/run team that only needs a game manager behind center. At least that's the perception I usually hear.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on June 28, 2014, 08:06:37 am
not trying to derail the thread by changing topic. Looking at this list it surprised me that LSU has had so many QB's drafted with that position seeming to not always be a strength. They are always a Defense/run team that only needs a game manager behind center. At least that's the perception I usually hear.

I know, right? I was also surprised by that. Of course I was also surprised by some of the teams that had fewer QB's drafted over that time.

Back on topic, I think we have a good crop of QB's developing at Arkansas but I still think we will see one of the ones who are on campus right now, transferring after this coming season.
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Peavey needs to Redshirt if he can't over take Austin Allen in Summer camp.   BA and AA will get the snaps if it goes as expected, and we are not going to blow anybody out enough to play a 3rd or 4th string QB.  I think we will be competitive in every game, so it is doubtful a 2nd or 3rd string kid is going to play in critical situations unless for injury.

Succession path
BA
AA
RP
TS
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: three hog night on June 29, 2014, 09:45:23 am
Peavey needs to Redshirt if he can't over take Austin Allen in Summer camp.   BA and AA will get the snaps if it goes as expected, and we are not going to blow anybody out enough to play a 3rd or 4th string QB.  I think we will be competitive in every game, so it is doubtful a 2nd or 3rd string kid is going to play in critical situations unless for injury.

Succession path
BA
AA
RP
TS

I thought at the conclusion of Spring Peavey was closing the gap on AA?

three hog night

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 29, 2014, 09:47:51 am
I thought at the conclusion of Spring Peavey was closing the gap on AA?

Closing and conquering are different until he does it in the expanded playbook they are going to install this summer and fall camps.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: three hog night on June 29, 2014, 10:00:27 am
Closing and conquering are different until he does it in the expanded playbook they are going to install this summer and fall camps.

Of course they are different. But for a true freshman closing on the #2 spot this quickly says a lot. Now he hasn't accomplished this. Your post just seemed to read as if it were a done deal that AA had the #2.