Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need to copy this...immediately

Started by Music City Hog, June 21, 2014, 08:43:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

I'm in sales and have no problem stealing terminology or effective things that my competition is doing.  Butch Jones and his staff at Tennessee are absolutely brilliant at marketing their program, being "hip", relating to these kids, and as a result are killing it in recruiting. 

Auburn has had Big Cat Weekend for years. Florida has had Friday Night Lights for years.  Now Tennessee has Orange Carpet Weekend. Tenn got three commits today from studs. Here's what one had to say:

"It was like a dream today," Smith said. "You see stuff like that on TV, but it was real. The paparazzi on the orange carpet with lights and flashes for the photos and then playing 2K on the jumbotron. It was awesome and I can't describe how great it was and how we were treated."  "It was awesome and we are still having fun."

I just don't see the creativity that our SEC brethren display.  Are we getting further left behind?   Can you imagine how awesome it would be to play your favorite video games in the stadium on the jumbotron?   I'd love to see us do more of these "cheesy" things in recruiting.  These are the things that today's teens are responding to.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 08:43:33 pm
I'm in sales and have no problem stealing terminology or effective things that my competition is doing.  Butch Jones and his staff at Tennessee are absolutely brilliant at marketing their program, being "hip", relating to these kids, and as a result are killing it in recruiting. 

Auburn has had Big Cat Weekend for years. Florida has had Friday Night Lights for years.  Now Tennessee has Orange Carpet Weekend. Tenn got three commits today from studs. Here's what one had to say:

"It was like a dream today," Smith said. "You see stuff like that on TV, but it was real. The paparazzi on the orange carpet with lights and flashes for the photos and then playing 2K on the jumbotron. It was awesome and I can't describe how great it was and how we were treated."  "It was awesome and we are still having fun."

I just don't see the creativity that our SEC brethren display.  Are we getting further left behind?   Can you imagine how awesome it would be to play your favorite video games in the stadium on the jumbotron?   I'd love to see us do more of these "cheesy" things in recruiting.  These are the things that today's teens are responding to.

Petrino did this... His recruiting was often criticized

Music City Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 08:45:47 pm
Petrino did this... His recruiting was often criticized

I'm not suggesting we will recruit like the elite in the SEC because we just never will no matter what, but I do think we could be more creative and create more buzz. Tours of the facilities, academics, depth chart, nutrition programs, tutoring are all great but you get the same tour at every school.   We need to overcome our limitations by separating ourselves somehow. 

Oh and I never heard a single Petrino recruit talk about paparazzi or playing video games on the jumbotron.  I remember having lunch on the field but who cares about that.

jjdlc

There were pics of recruits playing Madden on our jumbotron last year.  That isn't new.

Music City Hog

Quote from: jjdlc on June 21, 2014, 08:54:51 pm
There were pics of recruits playing Madden on our jumbotron last year.  That isn't new.

Forgive me, I missed it.  I guess there's no hope then.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 08:50:27 pm
I'm not suggesting we will recruit like the elite in the SEC because we just never will no matter what, but I do think we could be more creative and create more buzz. Tours of the facilities, academics, depth chart, nutrition programs, tutoring are all great but you get the same tour at every school.   We need to overcome our limitations by separating ourselves somehow. 

Oh and I never heard a single Petrino recruit talk about paparazzi or playing video games on the jumbotron.  I remember having lunch on the field but who cares about that.

I understand what you are saying.  You've got to be creative, but if you are copying everything others are doing then it just makes you look pathetic and like a used car salesman.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ARtillahog on June 21, 2014, 08:57:50 pm
I understand what you are saying.  You've got to be creative, but if you are copying everything others are doing then it just makes you look pathetic and like a used car salesman.

Then be creative and start something of your own.  Anything.

ARtillahog

forrest city joe

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 08:50:27 pm

It won't work for us because of location. these kids and their families have to pay their way to these events.you said it yourself. no matter who the coach has been here, the recruiting ranking has remained about the same. we have to do as we have always done. get the best players we can and coach them up. and hope the state of Arkansas feeds the program 10 players a year.and they stay home.

jjdlc

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 08:55:52 pm
Forgive me, I missed it.  I guess there's no hope then.

To be fair, I can't imagine playing a video game on a jumbotron being a deciding factor for many recruits.  All things considered this staff is doing a pretty good job recruiting right now, but I bet they are always trying to come up with the next big gimmick.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: ARtillahog on June 21, 2014, 08:57:50 pm

What do you do?
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Music City Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 21, 2014, 09:01:10 pm
It won't work for us because of location. these kids and their families have to pay their way to these events.you said it yourself. no matter who the coach has been here, the recruiting ranking has remained about the same. we have to do as we have always done. get the best players we can and coach them up. and hope the state of Arkansas feeds the program 10 players a year.and they stay home.

Agree 100%.  I don't expect much improvement, but you have nothing to lose.

ARtillahog

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on June 21, 2014, 09:02:57 pm
What do you do?

Operations officer, creative is probably not the best word.  Innovative is what I needed to say.

ifghog

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 21, 2014, 09:01:10 pm
FCJ I have to agree with u. The key for us is having a coach who can evaluate talent accuarately and coach the 3 stars up. It also highly depends on in state talent. Just look at past success.last 20 years. 

DoubleReedHawgCaller

What about aerial tours of the campus by helicopters with a finale landing if possible in the stadium or close to it.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

secneahog

You act like our recruiting is horrible.  This thread is a joke.
Needs to be moved out of recruiting forum. Doesn't bring anything new to the site except complaining about this staff in recruiting. 

Same day we flip a rb from Olé Piss. 

Music City Hog you are a joke.

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

MH04

We have had 3 commits this week! I think our coaches know what they're doing

Music City Hog

Quote from: secneahog on June 21, 2014, 09:25:47 pm
Needs to be moved out of recruiting forum. Doesn't bring anything new to the site except complaining about this staff in recruiting. 

Like a Chris Rock joke or a Bill Engvall joke?

Music City Hog

Quote from: MH04 on June 21, 2014, 09:33:41 pm

I'm not saying anything about any specific recruits.  I'm just saying we are a lifetime top 20-40 ranked recruiting school.   If we wanna break into the top 15 for the first time in history then we should find some creative outlets.

secneahog

Some people will complain no matter what.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Music City Hog

Quote from: secneahog on June 21, 2014, 09:25:47 pm

Our recruiting is the same it's been every year...no difference.   It just it what it is.

Music City Hog

I'm confused what this means? We will sign 25ish so we will have many more commits coming. 

MH04

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 09:37:17 pm
I'm not saying anything about any specific recruits.  I'm just saying we are a lifetime top 20-40 ranked recruiting school.   If we wanna break into the top 15 for the first time in history then we should find some creative outlets.

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure that I would want a recruit to commit to us because he likes getting his picture taken and playing on the jumbotron.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 09:06:28 pm
Agree 100%.  I don't expect much improvement, but you have nothing to lose.
Would not bother me if they did what you said. but i don't think it would matter. i do think coach B has a chance to do better than a lot of the coaches that have been here. but Arkansas will never be able to recruit a top 10 class here every year like Bama and Lsu.

Music City Hog

Quote from: MH04 on June 21, 2014, 09:42:37 pm
I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure that I would want a recruit to commit to us because he likes getting his picture taken and playing on the jumbotron.

I couldn't care less why he chose to play here.  I'm for cheating and paying kids if necessary.  There hasn't been one single NCAA investigation on even one single school in 3 years, none, nothing.  It's open season.  The NCAA has become a joke and can't do anything to anyone anymore.  We should be getting after it.  There are zero consequences.  Be creative. Make it happen.

MH04

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 09:51:43 pm
I couldn't care less why he chose to play here.  I'm for cheating and paying kids if necessary.  There hasn't been one single NCAA investigation on even one single school in 3 years, none, nothing.  It's open season.  The NCAA has become a joke and can't do anything to anyone anymore.  We should be getting after it.  There are zero consequences.  Be creative. Make it happen.

Or we could do things the right way

Music City Hog

Slimac4

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 10:05:24 pm
And lose

I'd rather lose the right way than act like a child and win by cheating.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Slimac4 on June 21, 2014, 10:07:41 pm
I'd rather lose the right way than act like a child and win by cheating.

Well you are getting it

JIHawg

You all forgetting we got the Catfish Hole?  What else do we need?

Slimac4

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 10:09:02 pm
Well you are getting it

Okay? I really don't see your point. If you're willing to cheat why don't you just 'cheat' yourself as a fan and cheer for a team like Auburn.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Slimac4 on June 21, 2014, 10:11:45 pm
Okay? I really don't see your point. If you're willing to cheat why don't you just 'cheat' yourself as a fan and cheer for a team like Auburn.

Because I'm not an auburn fan?

The Boar War

It seems to me like every school does exactly the same thing (at least what we see).

Recruiting is a lot like the chicken or the egg.  Is Florida good because it is in a talent rich area or do recruits go to Florida because they're good?  Whatever the case may be you can't tell me that this kid based his commitment to UT because of the video game/ jumbotron experience. 

The recruiting game is won either because you have talented kids in your back yard, you're a tradition rich program, or you have coaches who are willing to build relationships and have the skill to make young men follow them.

The rest is for recruiting websites.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 09:38:29 pm
Our recruiting is the same it's been every year...no difference.   It just it what it is.

Really?  List all the top players we've recruited in the past from Miami like Collins and Kirkland.  Or from from Minnesota like Frank Ragnow.  Or from Colorado like Dan Skipper.  How about Reeve Koehler from Hawaii?  Or Hjalte Froholdt from DEMNARK!  That's right DENMARK! When was the last time we recruited a top DL from Denmark?  That's what I thought.

And when was the last time we lured the #2 ranked OL from the State of Texas  Zach Rogers, who just also happens to have offers from Texas, Oklahoma and many others?

You really should quit posting because every time you do you display your ignorance and loser attitude for all to see.  That's just the way it is. 

Music City Hog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on June 21, 2014, 10:20:55 pm
Really?  List all the top players we've recruited in the past from Miami like Collins and Kirkland.  Or from from Minnesota like Frank Ragnow.  Or from Colorado like Dan Skipper.  How about Reeve Koehler from Hawaii?  Or Hjalte Froholdt from DEMNARK!  That's right DENMARK! When was the last time we recruited a top DL from Denmark?  That's what I thought.

And when was the last time we lured the #2 ranked OL from the State of Texas  Zach Rogers, who just also happens to have offers from Texas, Oklahoma and many others?

You really should quit posting because every time you do you display your ignorance and loser attitude for all to see.  That's just the way it is. 

Awww, it's nice to see my lady make an appearance.   Thanks for not letting me down. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on June 21, 2014, 10:20:55 pm

Thanks. Good post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Music City Hog

Oklahawg

Y'know, I am not the most popular voice on recruiting.

I see it as entertainment for fans, first. Well, the part that we get access to. Print media is fading quickly but the DemZet has a full-time recruiting reporter. A damn good one, too (Thanks, Richard, for all you do).

Now, in moments of weakness I will grant you there is another layer also. That is the layer so many live in - stars and rankings and ratings and "who is going where."

Each of us are entitled to our own opinion. Some of us are more oriented towards wins than others. I am in the WilsonHog school of fandom - I would be a proud supporter of UA if they abolished competitive athletics. "How" wins occur matters.

So, pardon me if I find the opening post of this thread somewhere between pathetic and nauseating, or maybe a word my mother still doesn't let me use in public (I'm a grown-ass man, but some language is "too far"). Think of that word and you describe the shallowness of a sector of HV and the UA fanbase.

This thread was a bug light at a mosquito party, attracting pests. You all make it easy to know who needs to be zapped.

I'm locking this and you can be a prick about it if you like. We should be celebrating the most well-thought out 10 days of summer football recruiting in UA history, and the appearance at camps by a wealth of fine players. Instead, we are listening to the bottom feeders of HV and the UA fanbase share what little of their opinion they can spell. Everyone needs to see this and know who to read and who to put on "ignore". As a mod, "ignore" is a feature I should avoid - I need to know what garbage is out there that should be purged.

Sometimes, you leave the crap lying in the middle of the new living room rug so the dog is reminded that he marked the wrong territory.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 21, 2014, 09:37:17 pm

We're going to have to sustain a couple of 9/10 win season's and then that's attainable.   We just went 3-8 and despite that have a current top 20 recruiting class.  That is some serious selling of a program!  :)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Oklahawg