Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"I Like that Guy"

Started by WilsonHog, June 21, 2014, 11:36:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I'm curious...have there been any Razorback coaches about whom you could make the statement, "I really like this guy?"

For me, the only football coach I could say that about was Kenny Hatfield. Maybe Lou Holtz. In other sports, DVH and Mike Anderson.

The rest? "Come and goers."

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

WilsonHog

Quote from: ballhog™ on June 21, 2014, 11:38:52 am
Assistant...Joe Kines

Yeah, definitely. I kinda liked Danny Ford, too.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I liked HDN for a couple of years. I loved Petrino, and I really dig CBB.... Hell, If you coach the Hogs I like you...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ballhog™

I support the head coaches while they are here, but if they aren't successful, it's time to go. Kines wasn't that way to me. He had a miserable record as interim coach. I wanted us to hire Ford, but at the same time didn't want to see Kines go. He was put in a rough situation. But I agree, by nature if you are the head hog, you got my support.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Hawgon

I appreciated Petrino and liked his dry sense of humor.  Nutt was literally a nut.  Ford was like your cranky redneck uncle after too many beers. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawgon on June 21, 2014, 12:45:15 pm
I appreciated Petrino and liked his dry sense of humor.  Nutt was literally a nut.  Ford was like your cranky redneck uncle after too many beers.

Ford actually had a helluva sense of humor that few really saw.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Hatfield, Mike Anderson, Nolan Richardson

rhames

I liked bobby all the way up until he took a steamer on our program. I guess it was kind of like when a woman tells herself "I know he cheated on and beat his last girlfriends but he really loves me and changed"

I loved Nutt. I was young at the time and didn't really know better.

Bret is cool. Would be lying if I said he hasn't said or done things that kind of rubbed me the wrong way but over all he seems like a cool guy.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Sivad

Frank Broyles
Lou Holtz
Danny Ford
Bobby Petrino
Bret Bielema

Jamie Jones

Great topic. Coaching aside, I like (liked) Hatfield, Anderson, DVH, Heath, Ford, Dykes, Blair, and Bielema.

I never cared for Nutt (wanted Tubberville), Pelphey, or Collins away from the field/court. I have always given all of theme my total support on the field/court though.

Bob had a dry sense of humor that few understood. I liked him as a coach. I didn't respect him as a man though. Even with his huge buyout, I always thought that he would bolt our program and leave it in shambles. His reputation preceded him and he eventually lived up to it by imploding and leaving the dumpster fire and split fan base. It has been very tough on us as fans. The success will always overshadow the fall for some; and the fall will always overshadow the success for others. I say this about Pretrino to say, I didn't particularly like him as a person, but I liked him as our coach. When things ended the way they did, I just thanked him and put him in the dislike catagory because I'm in the "fall overshadows the success" camp.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Kevin

hatfield, richardson, dvh, pelphrey (good guy, not good coach)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hellwonthaveme

WilsonHog

hellwonthaveme

yraciv

Stan Heath, Nolan Richardson, Norm DeBriyn, Dave Van Horn, Gary Blair, & Bielema. 

yraciv

Quote from: Hawgon on June 21, 2014, 12:45:15 pm

I mostly agree with this.  I liked things about Petrino.  I think he was a dick, but I appreciated how he dealt with the media.  I was too young and not enough of a redneck to appreciate Ford.

seasonhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 21, 2014, 01:36:44 pm
Like a sailor loves gonorrhea.

The best line of the day............................................by far

Hawgon

As Danny Ford told one of my friends one afternoon after a game, "Son, shut the frick up and just get me my beer."

WilsonHog

I liked Holtz, and was disappointed when he was let go.

I loved Kenny Hatfield, and hated to see him go. He was the type of coach I would have wanted my son to play for, one I was proud to say represented UA. And, he won. That was largely why I never believed in Jack Crowe.

I liked Danny Ford, but realized that it was time for him to go when South Carolina beat us 39-13 in War Memorial during his final season.

I liked Nutt initially, but started to lose confidence when we suffered through the Las Vegas Bowl defeat to UNLV at the end of his third season....followed by us having to block a punt late in the game to beat the Rebels in our season opener the following year.

I regarded Petrino as a mercenary, a hired gun. I had every confidence he would win here, and every confidence that he would leave sooner than later.

Bret Bielema? I like him. He seems genuine, an "Everyman" kind of guy. I like the discipline he has instilled in our program.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think some are confusing like the coach as a person and liking or appreciating them as a coach.

Anyone that actually likes Petrino as a person probably also liked Mr. Potter on it's a wonderful life.

Love Nolan could listen to him talk all down and want to hug that big silver headed bear every time I see him.  His laugh and smile can fill up a room. 

Stan Heath was underappreciated as a person, super nice guy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 21, 2014, 01:56:37 pm
I liked Holtz, and was disappointed when he was let go.

I loved Kenny Hatfield, and hated to see him go. He was the type of coach I would have wanted my son to play for, one I was proud to say represented UA. And, he won. That was largely why I never believed in Jack Crowe.

I liked Danny Ford, but realized that it was time for him to go when South Carolina beat us 39-13 in War Memorial during his final season.

I liked Nutt initially, but started to lose confidence when we suffered through the Las Vegas Bowl defeat to UNLV at the end of his third season....followed by us having to block a punt late in the game to beat the Rebels in our season opener the following year.

I regarded Petrino as a mercenary, a hired gun. I had every confidence he would win here, and every confidence that he would leave sooner than later.

Bret Bielema? I like him. He seems genuine, an "Everyman" kind of guy. I like the discipline he has instilled in our program.
I totally agree with nearly everything on this post, that I  old enough to remember. I was born in 71' so I barely remember Holtz. Nutt is a different story for me. I never got into his rah rah crap. He was exactly what Boise State fans called him...a used car salesman.

I'm also a Jeff Long supporter. But if he ever leaves, I'd wholeheartedly support Ken Hatfield for AD.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Steef

I never liked HDN...thought he was loopy. But i gave him benefit of the doubt until the Tenner game that got blamed on Clint. After that...had no use for Nutt.

I liked Bobby ' s pressers. Guy obviously knew what he was doing.

Ford always LOOKED..like he expected to lose every game.

Hatfield ...was hard for me to care about, pro or con.

Broyles was HC when I was there.

hoglady

Holtz
Petrino
Sutton
DVH
Blair
Anderson
McDonnell
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: steefhog on June 21, 2014, 02:27:40 pm
I never liked HDN...thought he was loopy. But i gave him benefit of the doubt until the Tenner game that got blamed on Clint. After that...had no use for Nutt.

I liked Bobby ' s pressers. Guy obviously knew what he was doing.

Ford always LOOKED..like he expected to lose every game.

Hatfield ...was hard for me to care about, pro or con.

Broyles was HC when I was there.

Broyles was in his last year when I was a freshman contemplating walking on, we talked and I decided my future lay in having fun. He told me he already had a tall, slow WR, and I agreed.

Holtz was a fun coach to have on campus, mostly because we were winning big, I never could understand him, though.

After that, I thought Hatfield was too conservative, but liked winning and respected him. Ford was just buying time and Nutt was a rash rah guy who wore thin with his antics.

Bielema seems to be ok, I've met him at a fundraiser, seemed genuine in his beliefs. If he doesn't win enough, he'll head on down the road.

Oklahawg

I love the introspection the thread can inspire.

I asked myself this question, "if I was stuck at a dinner party with 6 people I can't stand, but get to have a UA coach as the 7th...would they make the party worth attending?"

Nolan, yes.
Mike, yes.
DVH, yes.
DeBriyn, yes.

I loved the feeling Nutt gave me when he was hired. Suddenly, I believed we might make ourselves relevant again. We did. Quickly lost any interest in having him as a dinner guest.

I liked John Sutherland and Gary Blair. Not sure they qualify as my dinner savior.

Jimmy Dykes, yes. I'd LOVE to share a meal with Jimmy Dykes.

Not sure I can say that any UA football coach is in that territory. Bielema is as close as any. Especially if he gets to bring his wife.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Fayettechill14

I'd have a beer with Nutt, but I wouldn't let him coach my flag football team. Exact opposite for Petrino. Bielema has a little bit of both.

Augustus

Definitely Hatfield. Growing up, he spent a Sunday with my Church in LR... spoke a bit to the congregation on football/religion/character and how they intertwine, at least for him and how he approached his program at the time.  Spent hours after the service signing autographs and meeting/talking with people. 

Also, Broyles. Because, well... Broyles. I've only met Frank in passing, but worked several years with his son Dan in Fayetteville, and have nothing but respect for their Family.

Petrino? I'm surprised some are including him here... I take this topic as "Coaches who's character you like", as opposed to "I like the on field performance"

A few members of the Ark. Media I've talked to privately couldn't stand Petrino, and were kinda glad when he got fired.  Plus, I'm not sure I can "like" a man that cheats on his wife.

But... I'm approaching the question at hand based on the Coach's character, not his on field or presser performance.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Saban, Bobby Knight, Lombardi, Popovich, Wooden, La Russa, Tarkanian, Calhoun, Pitino, Jimmy Johnson

Winners

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

redeye

I never understood why I need to like our coach?  I liked that Holtz was a winner and had a lot of character, but he seems like a jerk in real life.  In contrast, Hatfield seemed like a really nice guy, but he was a little too conservative for me, both on and off the field.  I never knew Crowe.  Never really knew Ford, either, but so many losing seasons were taking a long toll on him.  I was really excited about Nutt, at first, but quickly came to find him annoying, but my real problems with Nutt had little to do with his personality.  I loved that Petrino was a passing genius, but figured he was a big jerk early on.  The book's still out on Bielema, but I mostly like what I've seen so far.

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 01:43:29 pm
Stan Heath, Nolan Richardson, Norm DeBriyn, Dave Van Horn, Gary Blair, & Bielema.

How on earth are you the only person to mention Norm in this thread?!  His name was the first that jumped to mind. 

bruisemeister

I liked them all. I don't know any that were bad. Maybe the original poster liked Hatfield because he quoted the bible. I liked Kenny too. However it was because he was a good coach, not because of his religious beliefs. I could care less about that. Its football, not life.

ballhog™

Quote from: PurpleBullHog on June 22, 2014, 02:45:38 am
How on earth are you the only person to mention Norm in this thread?!  His name was the first that jumped to mind. 

NORMMMM...how could I forget him? Good call. The stories that guy can tell...

SouthSide Johnny

Ken Hatfield

Frank Broyles

Eddie Sutton

John McDonnell

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Inhogswetrust

June 22, 2014, 08:18:11 am #34 Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:47:43 am by Inhogswetrust
Unbelievable that only one person up to now has said John McDonnell. Make that three including me now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 22, 2014, 08:18:11 am
Unbelievable that only one person up to now has said John Mcdonnell.

As a person that actually went to the track meets, my wife loved the meets her favorite sport, sadly most could care less about track and field, Coach M was very humble, very driven and passionate, he was very approachable and genuine, just a very nice guy.   
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Lake City Hog

We all have the right to view another person as we choose, but to label adultery as a "worse" sin than our own is pretty shallow. Sin is sin and that is all there is to it, so unless you live a PERFECT life I would leave sin out of the conversation.

I liked Kenny and think that he is exactly what he portrays, just way too conservative in his coaching philosophy. I was on the Nutt bandwagon for almost 4 years, you know local boy comes home and leads the team back to greatness, NAH!

I have come to the point that I don't care if I would like him or hate him, I want a coach that wins. I want to win with class and the right way, bend the rules a bit? Maybe. Cheat? no.

prattville pig

as a fan watching games with teams coached by these coaches, I loved watching a Broyles coached team, a Holtz coached team, a Hatfield coached team, a Ford coached team, some Nutt coached teams, and Petrino coached teams.  Aa a person I like Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield, and Ford, still deciding about our current coach.
Life's too short to last long.

TOM "tbw1"

Of those who I actually have met, first and foremost Joe Kines.  Had he been hired over Coach Ford, I honestly think there would have not been a former ball boy as coach.  I will always remember the kindness showed to my daughter and niece in Dallas by Coach Richardson and Rose. 

Coach DeBriyn and Coach Hatfield are in a class by themselves.  Cannot say I liked Coach Broyles, I am of the age that worship comes closer than affection.  The same for Coach Matthews. 

Coach Petrino was a hired gun. 

Coach Ford was probably the smartest man to coach at Arkansas despite his public persona. 

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Huds_HawgTide

I'm sorry ppl...but the question means like a likeable guy...good dude...you ppl are saying you liked petrino...you liked wins...he was an ass
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

I loved the wins also so I tolerated his absolutely horrific personality
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

jgphillips3

As I understand the question, liked as in would love to hang out with, I'm not sure there is one.  Hatfield was probably the nicest.  Nolan would probably have been the most interesting.  One of the few coaches I can think of that I would have loved to hang out with back in the day would be Jimmy Johnson.

I think this argument can become too "black and white" - sort of like in super-hero cartoons where you're either a bad guy or a good guy.

Each coach has some of both.  Furthermore, the really good coaches have their own style.  Some lead using fear as a tool, others positive reinforcement.

All that really matters is:

1)  Are we getting better

or

2)  Are we staying the same or getting worse.

One interesting aspect I've found is that someone who might have the label of being an ass - if you get to know them, your perspective might change.  Works the other way around also.

Chaney-style offensive game and passing game
Linebackers and cornerbacks

Will we see improvement?  That's all that really matters.  The "likability" or improprieties(if they happen) will take care of themselves and are out of our control.

HDN was a once-in-a-lifetime rare situation, where "the people" DID need to step in.  Will probably never happen again in our lifetime.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hogcard1964

Hatfield was a decent guy.  The rest, MEH.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on June 22, 2014, 05:37:12 pm
I think this argument can become too "black and white" - sort of like in super-hero cartoons where you're either a bad guy or a good guy.

Each coach has some of both.  Furthermore, the really good coaches have their own style.  Some lead using fear as a tool, others positive reinforcement.

All that really matters is:

1)  Are we getting better

or

2)  Are we staying the same or getting worse.

One interesting aspect I've found is that someone who might have the label of being an ass - if you get to know them, your perspective might change.  Works the other way around also.

Chaney-style offensive game and passing game
Linebackers and cornerbacks

Will we see improvement?  That's all that really matters.  The "likability" or improprieties(if they happen) will take care of themselves and are out of our control.

HDN was a once-in-a-lifetime rare situation, where "the people" DID need to step in.  Will probably never happen again in our lifetime.

Dude you are going to crack your walnuts straddling the fence that way!  ;D

Coach Broyles, Hatfield, and Bielema. CBB just cracks me up at times and I am with Tom on Coach Broyles that it goes beyond just like.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 22, 2014, 05:08:31 pm
I'm sorry ppl...but the question means like a likeable guy...good dude...you ppl are saying you liked petrino...you liked wins...he was an ass

I honestly liked Petrino's straightforward, no nonsense personality.
It was a welcome change after the totally fake, backslapping good ole boy personality of Houston Nutt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Steef

Quote from: hoglady on June 22, 2014, 05:59:50 pm
I honestly liked Petrino's straightforward, no nonsense personality.
It was a welcome change after the totally fake, backslapping good ole boy personality of Houston Nutt.

Agreed.

For us out of State'rs, most of our opinion about a coach's personality/demeanor is going to come from pressers and interviews. In that venue, Bobby was incredibly focused and informative.

As opposed to Mickey's buddy, Goofy.

The contrast was refreshing.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 22, 2014, 05:08:31 pm

Since I never met any of the coaches, I really did not care how any of them acted unless they were losing.  So I like all coaches until they aren't winning anymore. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Huds_HawgTide

Bobby acted like he was above everyone...there's lots of stories from fans and media that make me wonder why he is so easily idolized on here...you want a good man that has kids interests and lives on top of his priority lists plus isn't too good to hang out with you and drink a beer and shoot the darn...his presser when he got hired was soo personable, so genuine, so real!
I believe at the beginning Houston came off this way and his rah rah style proved to be crowd favorite...Houstons problem was nothing was ever his fault...he always called the right play and threw coaches or players under the bus...I do like how BP took all the blame when we lost to Ole miss so badly after we got screwed by Florida...coach Bb, I could be best friends with a guy like...he has never met a stranger
tommy boy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 22, 2014, 05:53:09 pm
Dude you are going to crack your walnuts straddling the fence that way!  ;D

Coach Broyles, Hatfield, and Bielema. CBB just cracks me up at times and I am with Tom on Coach Broyles that it goes beyond just like.

Yeah, they're starting to hurt a little...