Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things that must change

Started by Biggus Piggus, June 20, 2014, 05:36:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daBoar

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 27, 2014, 08:52:11 pm
Safety and LB depth still looks at least a year away. UA can be loads better and still not have a "league average" defense. That is scary.
Last season, Arkansas was #9 in the SEC in Total Defense, #76 in FBS.  I'd think that was pretty much middle of the pack.  Substantial defensive improvement should move us up to say #6 or #5 in the league.  I saw substantial defensive improvement last season....I felt the most material problems were offensive.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 20, 2014, 09:15:29 pm
Meaningful chunks of the depth chart haven't gawked at their first sorority rush when meandering around campus.

This is what must change.  We will be also-rans in the SEC until we can field deep, talented, veteran teams at least two deep.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: daBoar on June 29, 2014, 10:13:12 am
Last season, Arkansas was #9 in the SEC in Total Defense, #76 in FBS.  I'd think that was pretty much middle of the pack.  Substantial defensive improvement should move us up to say #6 or #5 in the league.  I saw substantial defensive improvement last season....I felt the most material problems were offensive.

Your statistical methods are suspect.

Total defense is a misnomer. It is merely average yards allowed per game. Arkansas's games had a below-average number of plays, which reduced total yardage. Fewer plays did not help the Hogs hold down the scoring.

Arkansas was second-worst in the SEC in how often it allowed opponents to score, as measured by plays per touchdown allowed. Only Arkansas and Kentucky were worse than 18 plays per TD. SEC average was 23. Arkansas was 24% worse than average. Most of the league was well above 24:1.

Average yards allowed per rush in the SEC = 5.0 in 2013. This number has risen in recent years as spread offenses have proliferated. Rushing out of the spread is less smashmouth, more speed in open space.

Arkansas allowed 5.5 yards per rush. This is true rushing, excluding sacks. A handful of SEC teams allowed 5.5 or worse -- including Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Not good company.

Arkansas also allowed one rushing TD for every 20 carries. SEC average was 10% better. If you're stupidly addicted to sequential ranking, Arkansas was 10th in line. This was a better performance than the pass defense.

When we put sacks into passing offense like they belong, the Razorbacks still don't look good. They allowed 2,609 net yards in 384 pass plays, or 6.8 yards per play. The only team worse was Texas A&M.

Only three SEC pass defenses were terribly big-play-prone. They were Arkansas (25 TDs in 384 plays, 15:1), Kentucky (16:1) and Texas A&M (15:1). SEC average was 24:1. Had the Hogs been average, they would have allowed nine fewer touchdown passes. Nine! That's staggering.

Arkansas was second-worst for completion percentage allowed, 64.9%. The Hogs also were second-worst in touchdown/interception ratio, 3.1:1.

Ain't no freaking way you can say Arkansas was "middle of the pack."

You saw substantial improvement on defense? The defense was WORSE than the offense. Arkansas could have gone to a bowl game, had the defense not failed at decisive moments.

How can you be more wrong?
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 29, 2014, 12:53:42 pm
This is what must change.  We will be also-rans in the SEC until we can field deep, talented, veteran teams at least two deep.

You can't have depth when you have 2 or 3 consecutive recruiting classes crater and lose over half of all the signees before their jr seasons. Tends to leave big giant gaping holes in spots.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Killean on June 26, 2014, 07:59:32 am
Things that must change.

In 9 games last season our opponent scored more points than we did.

We should cut that number down this season :P

This is exactly what matters.I don't care all that much which particular way we go about it, but let's do this!  :)
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Pig In The City

Quote from: JIHawg on June 20, 2014, 07:43:55 pm
Big play running backs and tight ends, yes.  Don't see  big plays from the defense yet, but giving up less big plays, and that's progress.

We must have a better 3rd down defense.  We were abysmal in this category last year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 01, 2014, 09:15:50 am
Your statistical methods are suspect.

Total defense is a misnomer. It is merely average yards allowed per game. Arkansas's games had a below-average number of plays, which reduced total yardage. Fewer plays did not help the Hogs hold down the scoring.

Arkansas was second-worst in the SEC in how often it allowed opponents to score, as measured by plays per touchdown allowed. Only Arkansas and Kentucky were worse than 18 plays per TD. SEC average was 23. Arkansas was 24% worse than average. Most of the league was well above 24:1.

Average yards allowed per rush in the SEC = 5.0 in 2013. This number has risen in recent years as spread offenses have proliferated. Rushing out of the spread is less smashmouth, more speed in open space.

Arkansas allowed 5.5 yards per rush. This is true rushing, excluding sacks. A handful of SEC teams allowed 5.5 or worse -- including Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Not good company.

Arkansas also allowed one rushing TD for every 20 carries. SEC average was 10% better. If you're stupidly addicted to sequential ranking, Arkansas was 10th in line. This was a better performance than the pass defense.

When we put sacks into passing offense like they belong, the Razorbacks still don't look good. They allowed 2,609 net yards in 384 pass plays, or 6.8 yards per play. The only team worse was Texas A&M.

Only three SEC pass defenses were terribly big-play-prone. They were Arkansas (25 TDs in 384 plays, 15:1), Kentucky (16:1) and Texas A&M (15:1). SEC average was 24:1. Had the Hogs been average, they would have allowed nine fewer touchdown passes. Nine! That's staggering.

Arkansas was second-worst for completion percentage allowed, 64.9%. The Hogs also were second-worst in touchdown/interception ratio, 3.1:1.

Ain't no freaking way you can say Arkansas was "middle of the pack."

You saw substantial improvement on defense? The defense was WORSE than the offense. Arkansas could have gone to a bowl game, had the defense not failed at decisive moments.

How can you be more wrong?

And it is this kind of post that made me a Hogville addict. I probably would have been like the poster and look at our rankings. But Biggus provides good data to go inside those rankings.

We are starting to see a revival on Hogville for this kind of data. Good breakdown Biggus.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: GuvHog on June 21, 2014, 08:56:20 am
The biggest difference between current Hog defenses and the one in 2006??? A Defense back the caliber of Michael Grant. Grant was definitely an NFL caliber DB and dominated back there until he went down with a broken leg against Tennessee. The Hogs haven't had a DB that dominant since he left.

Grant was like Tony Bua: always in the frame because he was specifically attacked and a step slow.

If that's what you call "domination..."

ChitownHawg

Dang that is three threads Zeke and Guv are going at it. It's like I walk into a bar and there is this fight, so I go to another bar. And there are the same two guys go at it!  ;D

My money is on Guv. He is tenacious and hard headed. He simply wears you out.   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

three hog night

Quote from: hogsanity on July 01, 2014, 09:48:41 am
You can't have depth when you have 2 or 3 consecutive recruiting classes crater and lose over half of all the signees before their jr seasons. Tends to leave big giant gaping holes in spots.

This is the real issue that over rides every other issue that must change.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on July 06, 2014, 10:57:23 am
This is the real issue that over rides every other issue that must change.

And this, unfortunately, requires time to fix.
Go Hogs Go!

carolinahogger

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2014, 07:06:14 am
And this, unfortunately, requires time to fix.

The problem is that it has not been fixed at all.  We have not had SEC players two-deep across the roster since we have been in the SEC.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: carolinahogger on July 07, 2014, 11:55:34 am
The problem is that it has not been fixed at all.  We have not had SEC players two-deep across the roster since we have been in the SEC.

Depth would be welcomed.