Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching and Recruiting

Started by mhuff, June 04, 2014, 04:08:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 02, 2014, 11:13:28 am
Nothing will make HA happier than to see Mike Anderson miss on Whitt.

MA seems to be doing a good job of missing on players. You hear a lot of big names , but there are a lot of whiffs. This year is MA's last chance with me. He either can recruit or he can't. He can either coach or he can't. People on here can cast dispersions all they want, but it is not going to change any of the results of MA's time here. I give him credit for Kingsley and Portis, but his recruiting is lacking. We need results..... not wait till next year. We need coaching .... we have all seen a less than splendid program..... We have bigs.... and no guards. Can't recruit to put the pieces together. Inconsistent programs do not make the dance. Show us something.

poloprince

Quote from: mhuff on June 04, 2014, 04:08:04 pm
MA seems to be doing a good job of missing on players. You hear a lot of big names , but there are a lot of whiffs. This year is MA's last chance with me. He either can recruit or he can't. He can either coach or he can't. People on here can cast dispersions all they want, but it is not going to change any of the results of MA's time here. I give him credit for Kingsley and Portis, but his recruiting is lacking. We need results..... not wait till next year. We need coaching .... we have all seen a less than splendid program..... We have bigs.... and no guards. Can't recruit to put the pieces together. Inconsistent programs do not make the dance. Show us something.

Why do you expect Arkansas to get elite recruits year after year?  Even in the programs best days that was never the case.  If that is your expectation you will forever be disappointed no matter who the coach is. 

The program hasn't had back to back winning SEC seasons since since '97 '98, until MA arrived.  Just think about that for a second and be thankful. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2014, 05:46:01 pm
I was one of those, if Allen didn't want to play for Arkansas or Anderson, then there isn't much one could do about it. If we don't get Whitt or a similar talented player, then it will be worry time.

MA has to show he can coach and recruit. If he does not do this successfully, someone else deserves a shot. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. The administration did not get off their wallets and ran the program into the ground. Now we're paying the bucks and not getting the results. How many years should a coach get to produce? This is it for me. I actually think three years. However, I have been patient and have been willing to give MA four years. I think that is more than fair.

Not gonna worry. Why worry about something you have no control over?

Oklahawg

Quote from: mhuff on June 09, 2014, 04:19:59 pm
MA has to show he can coach and recruit. If he does not do this successfully, someone else deserves a shot. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. The administration did not get off their wallets and ran the program into the ground. Now we're paying the bucks and not getting the results. How many years should a coach get to produce? This is it for me. I actually think three years. However, I have been patient and have been willing to give MA four years. I think that is more than fair.

Not gonna worry. Why worry about something you have no control over?

I would worry about flippantly tossing out statements like "MA has to show he can coach".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 09, 2014, 04:35:06 pm
I would worry about flippantly tossing out statements like "MA has to show he can coach".

would you?  It might be a stretch to wonder if 'Mike can coach' but it is perfectly reasonable to wonder if "Mike can coach well enough to get us back to the next level'.  Mike is not looking like such a 'sure thing'.  He's been, obviously, a disappointment

ucahogfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 03, 2014, 11:20:28 pm
But, we need an ace recruiter.
This couldn't be a more accurate statement IMO.

Baseball is the best program of the "Big 3" on campus right now.  Sure, DVH is one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country and Coach Jorn might be the best pitching coach, but one thing DVH has had on his staff is an elite recruiter.  A baseball staff is only allowed to have 2 paid assistant coaches (as well as a volunteer assistant and student assistants), but DVH has filled the position of his "hitting coach" with someone who is an elite recruiter.  It started with DVH bringing Butler in and he consistently delivered high level classes.  When Butler moved on to become HC at Wichita State (he turned down the hitting coach job in Austin after 2012), DVH went out and targeted two people: Cliff Godwin at Ole Miss and Tony Vitello at TCU.  Both were regarded as elite, tireless recruiters who might have lagged a little behind as a technical skills coach.  Heck, Vitello (who DVH ultimately hired) spent 8 years as pitching coach at his alma mater of Mizzou coaching and recruiting players like Max Scherzer before moving on to TCU for 3 years as "hitting coach."

If DVH uses one of his two paid assistant coaches spots for an elite recruiter, why can't MA use one of his 3?

mhuff

Oklahawg, the wins over KY were very impressive. The losses to Ned out of the third grade reader are pretty telling. He is not consistent nor seems to have a game plan. He also does not manage his roster well nor the game well. We are often down 20 and nothing is being done to change the slaughter..... by mediocre teams..... I am referring to his history while here. I am not trying to start anything and we don't have to be clones. From my viewpoint he has not done a good job. I do not see how anyone can say he has done a good job. I am not saying that you are saying that. Each person can give his or her own opinion. However, if everyone is satisfied with his performance, we will never have anything. That is what the administration wants.... People who will settle for mediocrity.

mhuff

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 04, 2014, 12:34:45 am
It's preferable, however what the poster you were quoting was saying is that we'd play Whitt or Allen at guard and pg just to get them both on the court since they're so good.  Allen wants to be a point guard anyways

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on June 09, 2014, 05:06:14 pm
Oklahawg, the wins over KY were very impressive. The losses to Ned out of the third grade reader are pretty telling. He is not consistent nor seems to have a game plan. He also does not manage his roster well nor the game well. We are often down 20 and nothing is being done to change the slaughter..... by mediocre teams..... I am referring to his history while here. I am not trying to start anything and we don't have to be clones. From my viewpoint he has not done a good job. I do not see how anyone can say he has done a good job. I am not saying that you are saying that. Each person can give his or her own opinion. However, if everyone is satisfied with his performance, we will never have anything. That is what the administration wants.... People who will settle for mediocrity.

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will our basketball or football teams come back in a short time. Revolving doors of coaches and philosophies will kill a program, MA needs the tournament this year.

Horse racer

Fully agree Ricepig, and patience is always considered a virtue. Dang I have never been good with those !

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 09, 2014, 04:48:54 pm
would you?  It might be a stretch to wonder if 'Mike can coach' but it is perfectly reasonable to wonder if "Mike can coach well enough to get us back to the next level'.  Mike is not looking like such a 'sure thing'.  He's been, obviously, a disappointment

What is your definition of Next Level? Sweet 16? If so disagree. Mike has taken 2 lesser programs to this level and took Mizz even further.

If you are talking consistent top 25 and SEC Championship contender, can agree.

azhog10

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2014, 05:03:14 pm
This couldn't be a more accurate statement IMO.

Baseball is the best program of the "Big 3" on campus right now.  Sure, DVH is one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country and Coach Jorn might be the best pitching coach, but one thing DVH has had on his staff is an elite recruiter.  A baseball staff is only allowed to have 2 paid assistant coaches (as well as a volunteer assistant and student assistants), but DVH has filled the position of his "hitting coach" with someone who is an elite recruiter.  It started with DVH bringing Butler in and he consistently delivered high level classes.  When Butler moved on to become HC at Wichita State (he turned down the hitting coach job in Austin after 2012), DVH went out and targeted two people: Cliff Godwin at Ole Miss and Tony Vitello at TCU.  Both were regarded as elite, tireless recruiters who might have lagged a little behind as a technical skills coach.  Heck, Vitello (who DVH ultimately hired) spent 8 years as pitching coach at his alma mater of Mizzou coaching and recruiting players like Max Scherzer before moving on to TCU for 3 years as "hitting coach."

If DVH uses one of his two paid assistant coaches spots for an elite recruiter, why can't MA use one of his 3?
Now if they could only teach them to hit, we'd have it made.

forrest city joe

Can we please get this crap out of the recruiting forum? take  it back to jump ball. i don't come to the recruiting forum to read crap like this.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 20, 2014, 11:12:59 am
Can we please get this crap out of the recruiting forum? take  it back to jump ball. i don't come to the recruiting forum to read crap like this.

he's being slightly drastic but the questions about Mike's (and his staff's) ability to recruit enough to get us where we need to be are valid.  they have to get better, period.  and I like Mike btw.  I hope it works.  but time is running short.  he needs to make the tourney and have a good class to make this work

forrest city joe

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 20, 2014, 11:46:45 am
This is the truth right here. It is time for mike to make some changes to his staff and bring in at least one "elite" recruiter.

Billy Donavan and Florida put on a recruiting clinic with Kevaughan Allen. We should take notes.
Again mods, can we get this crap out of the recruiting forum? recruits don't need to come here and read from Hog fans how terrible a recruiter Mike is. or how he needs to fire some coaches. they need to take this crap to jump ball.it does nothing to help recruiting with this crap on here.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 20, 2014, 12:28:12 pm
Again mods, can we get this crap out of the recruiting forum? recruits don't need to come here and read from Hog fans how terrible a recruiter Mike is. or how he needs to fire some coaches. they need to take this crap to jump ball.it does nothing to help recruiting with this crap on here.

thanks Joe
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

RazorPiggie

I've been saying this for awhile now. Let either Zimmerman or Cleveland go and hire someone that is willing to do something besides sit on the bench.

jusgtohogs

Couldn't pick either of you guys out of a line-up, but I didn't read anything flippant in the OP's remarks.  I understand MA had real success at UAB and MU, but that was then and this is now.  He's in a "what have you done for me lately" job and, so far--regardless of fan support--hasn't done much in terms of a record of success at the U of A.  I like Mike and want him to succeed, but none of us can "will it to happen".

mhuff

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 20, 2014, 12:28:12 pm

Joe, this is jump ball...... Joe, for years I have heard you bad mouth coaches on radio and on different sites. What makes you so special?

Personally I want Mike to do well...... I always want our program to do well. It is just time to do so. The coaching profession is about what you have done now ..... not what you have done in the past. I am only looking at what MA has done since being here. Recruits aren't going to listen to me or anyone else on this site. If they did, you would have already ruined the program.

forrest city joe

Quote from: mhuff on June 20, 2014, 02:52:13 pm
Joe, this is jump ball...... Joe, for years I have heard you bad mouth coaches on radio and on different sites. What makes you so special?

Personally I want Mike to do well...... I always want our program to do well. It is just time to do so. The coaching profession is about what you have done now ..... not what you have done in the past. I am only looking at what MA has done since being here. Recruits aren't going to listen to me or anyone else on this site. If they did, you would have already ruined the program.
It's not about me. i am just glad the mods moved this stuff out of the recruiting forum. Mike will get the job done here. and we will be in the Dace this coming year.

mhuff

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 20, 2014, 03:07:10 pm
It's not about me. i am just glad the mods moved this stuff out of the recruiting forum. Mike will get the job done here. and we will be in the Dace this coming year.

I did not realize that it had been in the recruiting site..... even though it is addressing recruiting, it is better here. If I see something inappropriate, I privately address it to a MOD so as to not draw attention to me.

I sure hope you are right about our season this year.

Etowah

We will be in Whitt's final group...but from the latest I have heard, we aren't getting Whitt.  If we do, MA will have to reverse the downward trending of JW's recruiting.

mhuff

June 22, 2014, 09:13:52 pm #22 Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:51:38 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Etowah on June 22, 2014, 08:07:52 pm
We will be in Whitt's final group...but from the latest I have heard, we aren't getting Whitt.  If we do, MA will have to reverse the downward trending of JW's recruiting.

Not sure what you are saying. We are recruiting Whitt, and if his stock is going down, it is to our advantage. I guess you are saying that his stock is rising and his interest in us is declining?

Etowah

Yes...stock going up and interest going down.

forrest city joe

Will you  please quit crying about recruiting.Mike is doing just fine bringing in players that fit his system. he got Portis, Kingsley,Beard,Babb and  Trey. the program is getting better  every year. so stop the whining.

-Blu

Quote from: Etowah on June 22, 2014, 08:07:52 pm

Latest interview I heard about Whitt he said nobody is really standing out right now and everyone is about even.  You got inside info, or just assuming?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 23, 2014, 11:14:41 am
Latest interview I heard about Whitt he said nobody is really standing out right now and everyone is about even.  You got inside info, or just assuming?

Either way, it sounds like he's lost some interest in Arkansas because we definitely used to stand out to him.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 23, 2014, 11:19:43 am
Either way, it sounds like he's lost some interest in Arkansas because we definitely used to stand out to him.

I wouldn't say all that, he's never really said anyone has "stood out" when he's been asked in interviews.  Everyone's always made the assumption because his family and the Watkins are close that we did stand out, I know that's what I was doing, and I've been following his recruiting since he's been offered.  And that's probably what the recruiting analyst that had us in the lead for him were going on as well.

If there's any other information about him in the past saying we stood out or were in the lead, I'd be curious to a link, quote, or something because I've never heard or read it.  The latest thing he's said about Arkansas, was that recruiting is still going well with us and he talks to the staff 3-4 times a week.

http://www.hogsportsradio.com/the-hog-call-jimmy-whitt-interview/

With that said it will be interesting to see what happens with Whitt though, before the summer session started, I was pretty sure he'd be a hog and the Watkins connection would be enough, I didn't expect him to blow up like he has, he arguably increased his stock the most of any other player in the class of 2015 this summer.  But, all we can do is speculate until he releases his visits.

mhuff

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 23, 2014, 09:55:36 am
Will you  please quit crying about recruiting.Mike is doing just fine bringing in players that fit his system. he got Portis, Kingsley,Beard,Babb and  Trey. the program is getting better  every year. so stop the whining.

Look there are sycophants who kiss butt even when things are not going well. Then there are people such as yourself who support a coach when he is doing well then bail on him in a heartbeat when things turn south...... Remember Pelphrey..... You were singing his praises ,and then turned on him when the team fell apart. I don't think you were worried about recruits or their parents reading your comments then or ever. Just as long as someone will listen to you. All you care about is having a platform to rag on somebody.

Your BB knowledge is not impressive to me. I never pay attention to it. As a matter of fact, I never pay attention to anyone who spends all their time telling other people what they NEED to do.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 23, 2014, 11:33:03 am
I wouldn't say all that, he's never really said anyone has "stood out" when he's been asked in interviews.  Everyone's always made the assumption because his family and the Watkins are close that we did stand out, I know that's what I was doing, and I've been following his recruiting since he's been offered.  And that's probably what the recruiting analyst that had us in the lead for him were going on as well.

If there's any other information about him in the past saying we stood out or were in the lead, I'd be curious to a link, quote, or something because I've never heard or read it.  The latest thing he's said about Arkansas, was that recruiting is still going well with us and he talks to the staff 3-4 times a week.

http://www.hogsportsradio.com/the-hog-call-jimmy-whitt-interview/

With that said it will be interesting to see what happens with Whitt though, before the summer session started, I was pretty sure he'd be a hog and the Watkins connection would be enough, I didn't expect him to blow up like he has, he arguably increased his stock the most of any other player in the class of 2015 this summer.  But, all we can do is speculate until he releases his visits.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get a visit.

As for us having stood out to him, he doesn't say exactly that in this interview, but it sounds that way based on what he said.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/26/arkansas-style-fit-whitt/

Quote"I think that's a big appeal (Arkansas' style of play) because at my high school my coach sees my long arms and we do a lot of pressing too," Whitt said. "So Arkansas really fits my style of play because they like to get up and pressure and so do I it a lot in high school basketball."

Whitt visited Arkansas about a month ago and praised the positive atmosphere around the program and said the Hogs were really high on his list. Any future visits haven't been decided yet.

I would consider a player saying a school that is "really high on his list" would probably stand out to him. That's just me, though. We've gone from "really high" on the list to even with everyone else.

mhuff

June 23, 2014, 12:12:17 pm #30 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:28:12 pm by mhuff
I sometimes think that athletes make statements such as he did to encourage schools to recruit them.It is good to have options. I sure hope we are able to land him.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 23, 2014, 11:49:24 am
I'd be shocked if we didn't get a visit.

As for us having stood out to him, he doesn't say exactly that in this interview, but it sounds that way based on what he said.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/26/arkansas-style-fit-whitt/

I would consider a player saying a school that is "really high on his list" would probably stand out to him. That's just me, though. We've gone from "really high" on the list to even with everyone else.

Thanks for sharing that, nice find.  I never read that article.  But, your correct "really high" on list to "nobody standing out" isn't a good sign for us.  But, that was a local Arkansas article, so you never know.  They make everybody seem like they are moments away from committing especially on Whole hog sports.  But, I agree with you there is some needs for concerns on us getting him, hopefully we can get him here on a visit and seal the deal, if not and he goes somewhere else, it would be very disappointing.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on June 23, 2014, 12:26:03 pm
Thanks for sharing that, nice find.  I never read that article.  But, your correct "really high" on list to "nobody standing out" isn't a good sign for us.  But, that was a local Arkansas article, so you never know.  They make everybody seem like they are moments away from committing especially on Whole hog sports.  But, I agree with you there is some needs for concerns on us getting him, hopefully we can get him here on a visit and seal the deal, if not and he goes somewhere else, it would be very disappointing.

forrest city joe

Quote from: mhuff on June 23, 2014, 11:39:52 am
Look there are sycophants who kiss butt even when things are not going well. Then there are people such as yourself who support a coach when he is doing well then bail on him in a heartbeat when things turn south...... Remember Pelphrey..... You were singing his praises ,and then turned on him when the team fell apart. I don't think you were worried about recruits or their parents reading your comments then or ever. Just as long as someone will listen to you. All you care about is having a platform to rag on somebody.

Your BB knowledge is not impressive to me. I never pay attention to it. As a matter of fact, I never pay attention to anyone who spends all their time telling other people what they NEED to do.

I know my basketball. and i know crying about recruiting won't change a thing. i know because i use to be that way.until i learned that i have to trust the coach. as long as the coach wins, i am good with whatever decisions he makes.and Mike has the program winning and getting better by the year.

-Blu

If we can be honest in here for a minute all bias and everything aside.  I was doing some thinking and I think it's always going to be a struggle for us to get top guards here with CMA as coach, I'm talking like top 50 players that are guards.

And I think the reason for that is other schools really target in and tell these kids because we don't really use a "traditional PG" or we use combo guards a lot that they won't get a good look from an NBA team, because we don't run a traditional system that they will play in the NBA.  I think the thing that could have ended this stereotype that we have is if BJ Young would have stayed another year and fixed his shot, and actually got on an NBA roster, instead he just helped reinforce it.  What's going to have to happen is we're going to have a guy like Madden, Beard, Babb etc. that really steps up and get some national recognition and get on an NBA roster and I think that will end all of that chatter.  Until then, it's going to be a little difficult for us to get top notch guards, that's just my opinion.

Because if you think about it, we have no problems getting guys that play the combo forward position that we target.  And the reason for that, and someone you hear recruits say a lot is DeMarre Carrol.  I remember Keaton Miles saying one of the things he liked about Arkansas was Coach Anderson said he seen a lot of Demarre Carrol in him.  The system we play is perfect for forwards that want to showcase their skills, because they have the freedom to handle the ball, shoot anywhere, and even at times initiate the offense, and guard multiple positions.  That's why we were able to get guys like Coty Clarke, who was the #8 JUCO player in his class, and get guys like Michael Qualls, JaCorey Williams, Keaton Miles, etc.  And even looking at recruiting this year for example, we could have had another combo forward in Shane Henry who is a top 10 JUCO player, we were in his top 2 and he was suppose to make a decision "soon".  And then when we announce all players are staying, then it takes him 3 months to decide on a team, think you can read the writing on the wall on where he was wanting to go.  Even Juwan Morgan is really high on us, who's a 4 star forward, even though we haven't offered him yet.

mhuff

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 23, 2014, 12:44:39 pm
I know my basketball. and i know crying about recruiting won't change a thing. i know because i use to be that way.until i learned that i have to trust the coach. as long as the coach wins, i am good with whatever decisions he makes.and Mike has the program winning and getting better by the year.

I have always read your posts because it was a novelty ,and I wanted to see what you had to say next. I know that you do not care what I think or say. But anything that you don't agree with you disparage the poster and call them names....... or say they are crying. I am just stating the obvious. We have missed on a bunch of players and the coaching has not been good as evidenced by our lack of wins and NCAA appearances. However, we should do better this year. It is past due. I want to see some improvement...... like NCAA tournament appearances on a regular basis. Then, I will trust his ability. Talk is cheap..... Let's see some results. All we are getting is same ole same ole. Recruiting this year is ok. I really think they will all contribute. Since Thompson is there perhaps Portis and Kingsley will be on the floor together. Let's see what happens then...... Maybe MA was just saving them for next year.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on June 23, 2014, 12:55:40 pm
If we can be honest in here for a minute all bias and everything aside.  I was doing some thinking and I think it's always going to be a struggle for us to get top guards here with CMA as coach, I'm talking like top 50 players that are guards.

And I think the reason for that is other schools really target in and tell these kids because we don't really use a "traditional PG" or we use combo guards a lot that they won't get a good look from an NBA team, because we don't run a traditional system that they will play in the NBA.  I think the thing that could have ended this stereotype that we have is if BJ Young would have stayed another year and fixed his shot, and actually got on an NBA roster, instead he just helped reinforce it.  What's going to have to happen is we're going to have a guy like Madden, Beard, Babb etc. that really steps up and get some national recognition and get on an NBA roster and I think that will end all of that chatter.  Until then, it's going to be a little difficult for us to get top notch guards, that's just my opinion.

Because if you think about it, we have no problems getting guys that play the combo forward position that we target.  And the reason for that, and someone you hear recruits say a lot is DeMarre Carrol.  I remember Keaton Miles saying one of the things he liked about Arkansas was Coach Anderson said he seen a lot of Demarre Carrol in him.  The system we play is perfect for forwards that want to showcase their skills, because they have the freedom to handle the ball, shoot anywhere, and even at times initiate the offense, and guard multiple positions.  That's why we were able to get guys like Coty Clarke, who was the #8 JUCO player in his class, and get guys like Michael Qualls, JaCorey Williams, Keaton Miles, etc.  And even looking at recruiting this year for example, we could have had another combo forward in Shane Henry who is a top 10 JUCO player, we were in his top 2 and he was suppose to make a decision "soon".  And then when we announce all players are staying, then it takes him 3 months to decide on a team, think you can read the writing on the wall on where he was wanting to go.  Even Juwan Morgan is really high on us, who's a 4 star forward, even though we haven't offered him yet.

Blu, I believe coaches will use the argument about guards not benefitting themselves by coming here. I always thought it to be a bunch of umpah. I assure you that any guard that comes here and plays on a winning team will make it in the pros. Talent will always be found. I have read this argument on here before. I know if we don't get guards next year..... Let me back up..... if we don't have a huge recruiting class next year, we are toast. I feel we will be lucky if Portis stays through his junior year. He will always be a hero to me no matter how long he stays...... he supported Arkansas when others chose to be turncoats.

swinesation

I really, really, really want Mike to succeed, but I've got to say that his inability to sign guards is killing us. In the three classes he has recruited (not counting the one he inherited in 2011), Mike has signed only one single guard even ranked in the Top 150! (Beard at 115). That's a problem. For two years people have been pointing to 2015-16, but many of us are wonder if those hopes are going to slip away. I HOPE NOT!

hawgmasta

Quote from: swinesation on June 23, 2014, 05:11:25 pm
I really, really, really want Mike to succeed, but I've got to say that his inability to sign guards is killing us. In the three classes he has recruited (not counting the one he inherited in 2011), Mike has signed only one single guard even ranked in the Top 150! (Beard at 115). That's a problem. For two years people have been pointing to 2015-16, but many of us are wonder if those hopes are going to slip away. I HOPE NOT!

Which is odd considering that's what Mikes system is supposed to be the best for. You would think combo guards would be lining up at the door.