Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

15'class needs

Started by Huds_HawgTide, June 20, 2014, 11:20:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huds_HawgTide

So anyone who likes to research or in the know have a run down of what you feel like this class needs are?

Seems most of the studs in state and those willing to commit are on offense...just thinking bout possible commits and wondering when and where the defense starts to get some help too
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ldfergu

I really hope we land 3-4 quality LBs this class

Huds_HawgTide

That's what I am hoping...would love to get 2 inside backers and two outside
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

WBC Hog

QB- 1- Storey
RB- 2
WR- 3- Stewart
TE- 3- Cantrell, O'Grady
OL- 4- Rogers, Jackson
DL- 4- Bell, Frohodlt, Dean
LB- 3
CB- 3
S- 2

This is based off of having 25 scholarships available. Since the two late additions of Cam Jefferson and Josh Williams, I am clueless as to how many scholarships we have to give out for this class. Anybody know?

Huds_HawgTide

We have our 25 this class...and I say 4 DR only if we get another DT
tommy boy

Huds_HawgTide

tommy boy

The real Hogules

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 20, 2014, 12:42:47 pm
We have our 25 this class...and I say 4 DR only if we get another DT

Sometimes your best DT's enter college as DE's.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Huds_HawgTide

Yeah but most getting offers are really light in the britches...like better suited to be linebackers
tommy boy

Bubba's Bruisers

At a minimum, need to finish something like...

2 RB
1 WR
1 OG
1 OT
1 DL (I don't know if Dean and the Dane are DT's or DE's)
3 LB
2 CB
2 S
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

1highhog

We need 4 true stud LB's, 2 good Safeties, 2 Stud CB's, 1 6-4" WR that can be that stretch the field burner with good hands that can out jump any CB for the long ball for that have to catch, 1 OL player like Shawn Andrews that can pancake his man and sometimes to, opening up holes for our stud RB's.  1 DL that can create havoc up front making it easier for our LB corp to harass and sack the opposing QB.  That's my wish list anyway, asking to much???

secneahog

Quote from: 1highhog on June 20, 2014, 01:37:12 pm
We need 4 true stud LB's, 2 good Safeties, 2 Stud CB's, 1 6-4" WR that can be that stretch the field burner with good hands that can out jump any CB for the long ball for that have to catch, 1 OL player like Shawn Andrews that can pancake his man and sometimes to, opening up holes for our stud RB's.  1 DL that can create havoc up front making it easier for our LB corp to harass and sack the opposing QB.  That's my wish list anyway, asking to much???

I like the way you think.  But we will always get more than 1 olineman.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

WBC Hog

I think this alone is asking too much. Looking at last years LB signees, we pretty much signed all "projects." Two guys were safeties in HS and one needs to put on quite a bit of weight. Not knocking them at all, I think they will be good for us down the road. Just not the "stud" type like a Kenny Young from last year. He signed with UCLA and will step on the field getting legit playing time immediately. I can only hope we get one legit LB in Justin Hilliard, though I'm not holding my breath.

Huds_HawgTide

i dont think we have to have 2 running backs this year if we get the one we want
tommy boy

felixfan

secneahog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 20, 2014, 03:00:52 pm
i dont think we have to have 2 running backs this year if we get the one we want

Right now we have.

Jr. J.will.
Soph. AC.
Sophomore KM.
Rs freshman Evans.

J.will could leave early. 

I say 1 rb this year.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Huds_HawgTide

tommy boy

secneahog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 20, 2014, 04:16:10 pm
and juan day

You are correct. Still trying to remember the incoming guys. +1

1highhog

Quote from: WBC Hog on June 20, 2014, 02:04:19 pm
I think this alone is asking too much. Looking at last years LB signees, we pretty much signed all "projects." Two guys were safeties in HS and one needs to put on quite a bit of weight. Not knocking them at all, I think they will be good for us down the road. Just not the "stud" type like a Kenny Young from last year. He signed with UCLA and will step on the field getting legit playing time immediately. I can only hope we get one legit LB in Justin Hilliard, though I'm not holding my breath.

Wait, you're saying that it's asking to much to wish for 4 stud LB's?  This has been a need for the Hogs for years, and it's cost us many games not having a good Linebacker corp.  Teams like Bama can just run the ball down our throat when we don't have the Linebackers needed, we've had to always convert players from other positions to play Linebacker, some never having played the position before.  It will be good if this staff can recruit some good Linebackers, which I think they will.

PorkSoda

Quote from: secneahog on June 20, 2014, 04:20:08 pm
You are correct. Still trying to remember the incoming guys. +1
juan day you'll start remembering
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Huds_HawgTide

tommy boy

Huds_HawgTide

I'll take one true MLB and OLB and take Avery Johnson as a hybrid backer safety type...I think he deserves a shot...and I also say take one more arkansas project like phillips or the mayflower kid
tommy boy

Huds_HawgTide

I mean phillips if nothing else is a freak athlete we can utilize somewhere...I think he grows into an OLB
tommy boy

MH04

I hope Dre Greenlaw gets a shot as well.

Oklahawg

I always begin with a complete 22-man starting rotation. We need a punter to replace Irwin-Hill. That's 23. Two additional for something. One is at TE, and one of the TE slots (I agree with 3 in this class) will come from the OL's 5 (we'll sign four again).

What I've heard is that "The Dane" and Dean have both outgrown DE and are projected as DTs.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WBC Hog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 20, 2014, 03:00:52 pm

I'm basing my prediction at RB solely because of the amount of offers we have thrown out to RB's across the nation. You can just tell by the amount of scholarship offers they've dished out that they desire more than one. In fact, I almost said three RB's in my original post.

I have a very good feeling about Karan Higdon. The new name, Charles West, is seeming like a legit contender as well. And then if we show out better than expected this season and a big time back likes what he sees, I'm sure they wouldn't turn him down.

You can never have too much competition at a position like RB. Aka Alabama

secneahog

Quote from: WBC Hog on June 20, 2014, 11:49:11 pm
I'm basing my prediction at RB solely because of the amount of offers we have thrown out to RB's across the nation. You can just tell by the amount of scholarship offers they've dished out that they desire more than one. In fact, I almost said three RB's in my original post.

I have a very good feeling about Karan Higdon. The new name, Charles West, is seeming like a legit contender as well. And then if we show out better than expected this season and a big time back likes what he sees, I'm sure they wouldn't turn him down.

You can never have too much competition at a position like RB. Aka Alabama

Yep. As much as we pound the rock, injuries could happen. I hope not.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: secneahog on June 20, 2014, 04:13:57 pm
Right now we have.

Jr. J.will.
Soph. AC.
Sophomore KM.
Rs freshman Evans.

J.will could leave early. 

I say 1 rb this year.

We only took 1 last class.  I'm betting they want 2 this time.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 20, 2014, 09:38:43 pm

What I've heard is that "The Dane" and Dean have both outgrown DE and are projected as DTs.

I suspected this would be the case.  How big are they now?

WBC Hog

Quote from: 1highhog on June 20, 2014, 07:42:27 pm
Wait, you're saying that it's asking to much to wish for 4 stud LB's?  This has been a need for the Hogs for years, and it's cost us many games not having a good Linebacker corp.  Teams like Bama can just run the ball down our throat when we don't have the Linebackers needed, we've had to always convert players from other positions to play Linebacker, some never having played the position before.  It will be good if this staff can recruit some good Linebackers, which I think they will.

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you I just forgot to respond.

Back to the original post, it asks "what do we think the class needs are?"  You responded with 4 stud LB's and ended that post with am I asking too much?  And yes I think you are asking too much lol. The last 4 stud LB's we've had IMO are Brooks Ellis (current), Otha Peters, Alonzo Highsmith, and Jerry Franklin. That dates back like three or four years which is why I'm saying it is asking too much to get 4 stud LB's in this class alone.

Once this program becomes stable and wins at least 8 games a year and becomes know for our defense, then we will be able to get studs on a regular basis. But right now, lol no.

I love the Hogs and I love this staff but I am expecting no more than 1 stud LB per class right now. Any more than that and I will be thrilled. Especially since we don't have several defensive guys in our backyard like we do offensive guys.

ckhawgu

I believe that we need to sign a full OL class this yr as we are losing three SR's this coming season and have five JR's behind them in the following yr. Need to get our numbers & depth built up on the OL so a full class would help...

acey33

If we could get 2 stud LB a year I would be happy with that and so would the DC

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WBC Hog on June 20, 2014, 02:04:19 pm

I think we all agree that this team needs stud LB recruitment but unless he is home grown I just don't think it is happening. Just too few studs to go around to teams like a 3-9 Arkansas. So we have to go get aggressive, smart athletic recruits that may played other positions in high school but who can be LBer studs in 2 years. 
Also with the wide open spread attacking offenses the traditional 6'2 245lb 4.7 head thumpers who cracked heads in the holes at the LOS are not needed in college as much anymore.  What is replacing them is the 6'1 215lb 4.5 chase them all over the field type LBer types who not only can play pass coverage but make plays at the LOS.  So I can see signing those hybrid Safety types and putting them closer to the line. SPEED, SPEED, SPEED at LB is what it is going to who are expected to guard RBs and TEs coming out of the back field in space.

But of coarse the opposite side of the equation is if those smaller LBs can't help in the running game those teams will run a lot of traps and power plays right down out throats.  Tough call for the Def Coordinators.  When we play Auburn and TT early we will see how we match up with our back 7.  If we can't slow down both those spread teams  they will hang 40+pts on us. 

secneahog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 23, 2014, 09:59:05 am
I think we all agree that this team needs stud LB recruitment but unless he is home grown I just don't think it is happening. Just too few studs to go around to teams like a 3-9 Arkansas. So we have to go get aggressive, smart athletic recruits that may played other positions in high school but who can be LBer studs in 2 years. 
Also with the wide open spread attacking offenses the traditional 6'2 245lb 4.7 head thumpers who cracked heads in the holes at the LOS are not needed in college as much anymore.  What is replacing them is the 6'1 215lb 4.5 chase them all over the field type LBer types who not only can play pass coverage but make plays at the LOS.  So I can see signing those hybrid Safety types and putting them closer to the line. SPEED, SPEED, SPEED at LB is what it is going to who are expected to guard RBs and TEs coming out of the back field in space.

But of coarse the opposite side of the equation is if those smaller LBs can't help in the running game those teams will run a lot of traps and power plays right down out throats.  Tough call for the Def Coordinators.  When we play Auburn and TT early we will see how we match up with our back 7.  If we can't slow down both those spread teams  they will hang 40+pts on us.

We landed 1 late in Williams. He is the real deal true linebacker. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Wait, you're saying that it's asking to much to wish for 4 stud LB's?  This has been a need for the Hogs for years, and it's cost us many games not having a good Linebacker corp.  Teams like Bama can just run the ball down our throat when we don't have the Linebackers needed, we've had to always convert players from other positions to play Linebacker, some never having played the position before. It will be good if this staff can recruit some good Linebackers, which I think they will.

Don't be surprised if this staff recruits DB's to move to OLB and/or DE's to move to MLB... CBB has a history of putting players in the NFL by helping them understand where their natural position really is. He's already got two on campus that will bolster recruiting in the future if they work out....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

scooby21322

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but we really need a quality recruit or two who will stay with the safety position (as opposed to the S's who were recruited to convert to LB).  This team was beat on deep passes a lot last year. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 21, 2014, 05:41:52 pm
I suspected this would be the case.  How big are they now?

Dane is over 300. Dean is past 260 IIRC. Going to grow some still, too. They will (give/take) be DT sized when they graduate so it is not a "sign and feed" situation (I am thinking Malcolm Shepherd, graduated at 260 with a cheeseburger in each hand).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 23, 2014, 06:49:34 pm
Dane is over 300. Dean is past 260 IIRC. Going to grow some still, too. They will (give/take) be DT sized when they graduate so it is not a "sign and feed" situation (I am thinking Malcolm Shepherd, graduated at 260 with a cheeseburger in each hand).

Ok, I was betting the Dane would be in the 300 range by graduation.  A northside coach suggested Dean definitely has the frame to grow into a college DT.

bennyl08

Pos  2015  Fresh  Soph  Jun  Senior    TOT (tot in 2015)
QB      1     2        0      1       0         4 (4)
RB       1     2       2      1        0        6 (6, 5 if Williams leaves early)
FB       0     0        0      1       1         2 (1, Walker and Arinze, though RFr Jones could get schol.)
WR      1     5       3       2        1        12 (11)
TE       2     1       2      2        1          8 (7)
OT       1     3       1      2         2         9 (7)
OG/C    1     3       2      2        2         10 (8 )

DE       1     3       3      0        1        8 (7)
DT       2     3       3      2        0        10 (10)
LB       0     6       1      1        3         11 (8 )
CB       0     3       2      1        2         8 (6)
S         0     2       0      3        2         7 (5)

K        0       1      0     0        0          1 (1)
P         0      0      0     0         1          1 (0)
         10      34     19    18      16        87 +10 (81)

Mostly scholarship, though the total adds up 10 87, so I may be counting a couple non-schollies.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

He's not a deep ball burner, but a 6'4" guy that can go up and out jump and out body guys for the ball is O'Grady.  He's listed as atight end, but Fayetteville uses him lined up tight, in the slot, wide, and even in the backfield.  He's reminds me more of a guy like Evans from A&M last year that was drafted by Tampa Bay.  To big for a corner and to athletic for inside linebackers.  He is a match up nightmare.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015