Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville's Bennett Moehring ranked #1 kicker in USA hs class of 2015

Started by OPoraquê, June 19, 2014, 01:45:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

...by Chris Sailer.  He's one of Sailer's "clients" apparently, but Sailer seems to know what he's talking about.  Moehring was MVP of a USC kicking camp earlier this summer.  FWIW, I think Moehring made all-state for BHS' sc boy's soccer team this season, too.

May not translate into wins for them, but I'd be willing to guess that this season BHS has more DI recruits in one football team than they've ever had in their history:  http://chrissailerkicking.com/player-rankings/profile.php?player=5009

secneahog

Quote from: OPoraquê on June 19, 2014, 01:45:09 pm
...by Chris Sailer.  He's one of Sailer's "clients" apparently, but Sailer seems to know what he's talking about.  Moehring was MVP of a USC kicking camp earlier this summer.  FWIW, I think Moehring made all-state for BHS' sc boy's soccer team this season, too.

May not translate into wins for them, but I'd be willing to guess that this season BHS has more DI recruits in one football team than they've ever had in their history:  http://chrissailerkicking.com/player-rankings/profile.php?player=5009

Bentonville high school has been impressing me last couple years.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

OPoraquê

Just moved up to #1..he was at the "Top 12" event in California for high school kickers this week so that may be the reason for the move.

Virgil

Cool.  I wonder if we'll offer the kid since we just signed one.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

secneahog

Quote from: Virgil on June 20, 2014, 03:27:12 pm
Cool.  I wonder if we'll offer the kid since we just signed one.

Could be a smart move for a rs backup
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

yraciv

In my opinion, depend if Hedlund brings his A game and sticks around.  I have no reason to think he want, but you never know.  I would never waste a 2nd scholarship on a backup kicker/punter.  One quality should be enough to get the job done, and you can get passable one's for fill in situations.

Just curious, but his he a Bentonville transplant or does he have Arkansas/Hog ties?  Quite an accomplishment though!

secneahog

Quote from: yraciv on June 20, 2014, 04:33:58 pm
In my opinion, depend if Hedlund brings his A game and sticks around.  I have no reason to think he want, but you never know.  I would never waste a 2nd scholarship on a backup kicker/punter.  One quality should be enough to get the job done, and you can get passable one's for fill in situations.

Just curious, but his he a Bentonville transplant or does he have Arkansas/Hog ties?  Quite an accomplishment though!

We do have a senior punter

yraciv

Quote from: secneahog on June 20, 2014, 04:40:58 pm
We do have a senior punter

True! That said #1 kicker, solid punter though. Most guys aren't doing both these days.

secneahog

Quote from: yraciv on June 20, 2014, 04:44:27 pm
True! That said #1 kicker, solid punter though. Most guys aren't doing both these days.

That's true. Irwin came out of no where. Segrest is s special team guru. Going to be fun to see their direction.

onebadrubi

If he's as good as advertised we will definitely go after him.  RS him and they'd be two years apart... Don't want bama type kickers woes!

redeye

Quote from: yraciv on June 20, 2014, 04:33:58 pm

I disagree.  Kickers are vastly underrated and we haven't even seen Hedlund kick, yet.  If we'd had Hocker in 2009, he'd have won a couple of games for us that Tejada couldn't pull out.  Plus, kickers can get hurt, also.

ZERO

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 20, 2014, 06:10:02 pm
Don't want bama type kickers woes!

The truest statement ever typed. Please understand the wisdom here.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

East TN HAWG

Quote from: redeye on June 20, 2014, 11:50:05 pm
I disagree.  Kickers are vastly underrated and we haven't even seen Hedlund kick, yet.  If we'd had Hocker in 2009, he'd have won a couple of games for us that Tejada couldn't pull out.  Plus, kickers can get hurt, also.

+1. Kickers are the most under appreciated position.  I think a kicker is worth the scholarship if he can kick off into the end zone every time even if he never puts one through the uprights.

mhuff

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 20, 2014, 06:10:02 pm
If he's as good as advertised we will definitely go after him.  RS him and they'd be two years apart... Don't want bama type kickers woes!

If he is the #1 kicker and we do not offer a scholarship, we have lost our minds.

yraciv

Quote from: redeye on June 20, 2014, 11:50:05 pm

I could rationale 3, if 1 of your guys is only a kicker and your other guy is only a punter. Find a 3rd that can back up both. Which may be the case with us currently because Irwin Hill doesn't appear to be an adequate kicker.  But if both of them can serve double duty, I have no problems with them serving both roles the 1 or 2 weeks max the other guy is injury. 

Yes injuries can occur anywhere at anytime, but the odds of kickers getting hurt is rather low.  Good kickers may be hard to replace, but punters not so much.  I've seen QB used as punters that can boot it 40+ yards

secneahog

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 01:14:51 pm
I could rationale 3, if 1 of your guys is only a kicker and your other guy is only a punter. Find a 3rd that can back up both. Which may be the case with us currently because Irwin Hill doesn't appear to be an adequate kicker.  But if both of them can serve double duty, I have no problems with them serving both roles the 1 or 2 weeks max the other guy is injury. 

Yes injuries can occur anywhere at anytime, but the odds of kickers getting hurt is rather low.  Good kickers may be hard to replace, but punters not so much.  I've seen QB used as punters that can boot it 40+ yards

You hardly ever see a qb in a game punting. There's a reason why.

1highhog

If he's rated the #1 kicker, and we don't go after this kid with both barrels cocked, then we're not to bright.  Kickers are a precious commodity and that was shown throughout the Nuttsters career here, I was hesitant about saying Coaching career, that would make me  :puke:

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on June 21, 2014, 03:30:28 pm
If he's rated the #1 kicker, and we don't go after this kid with both barrels cocked, then we're not to bright.  Kickers are a precious commodity and that was shown throughout the Nuttsters career here, I was hesitant about saying Coaching career, that would make me  :puke:

Well, we've got the career FG record setting kicker in Hedlund coming in this year. I'm not sure how hard you pursue him, unless he's a great punter, too.

yraciv

Quote from: secneahog on June 21, 2014, 02:14:43 pm
You hardly ever see a qb in a game punting. There's a reason why.

Yes because punters hardly ever get hurt, and most kickers can feel that role if need be.  You see it more in high school where shotgun offenses just have their QB drop back and pooch it down. Ryan Mallett and Mitch Mustain could both punt. Irwin Hill is good and I don't discount his ability to place a ball, just shows lots of people on the roster can probably punt the ball 35+ yards and get a fair catch. Kind of disvalues the purpose of backup scholarship punters.

secneahog

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 04:02:33 pm
Yes because punters hardly ever get hurt, and most kickers can feel that role if need be.  You see it more in high school where shotgun offenses just have their QB drop back and pooch it down. Ryan Mallett and Mitch Mustain could both punt. Irwin Hill is good and I don't discount his ability to place a ball, just shows lots of people on the roster can probably punt the ball 35+ yards and get a fair catch. Kind of disvalues the purpose of backup scholarship punters.

I knew the Mallett reference was coming.

The guy wouldn't be a back up long since we have a senior punter.

If you have a very high rated kicker that is instate that can punt also I think you offer him. He can redshirt and start as a redshirt freshman. 

Kind of amusing you think almost anyone can punt 35+.  Hanging is a big deal also.

My soccer background helps me understand that not anyone can punt.

yraciv

Quote from: secneahog on June 21, 2014, 05:13:16 pm
I knew the Mallett reference was coming.

The guy wouldn't be a back up long since we have a senior punter.

If you have a very high rated kicker that is instate that can punt also I think you offer him. He can redshirt and start as a redshirt freshman. 

Kind of amusing you think almost anyone can punt 35+.  Hanging is a big deal also.

My soccer background helps me understand that not anyone can punt.

I played my share of soccer as well. No it isn't easy to punt a ball 35+ with hang time, but with a bunch of athletes on the team there should at least be a handful.  There are walkon punters/kickers who can easily accomplish this, and probably a handful or more highschool punters on campus you could find to accomplish this.  It's the most easily replaceable position, it or kicker is the least injured position, and I'd argue punter is right behind kick returner as the least valuable position.  In a bind, you could find a fill-in.

I agree that you take the #1 guy if you can get him, especially since he does post.  That being said as long as Hedlund meets expectation our kicker position is locked down the next 4 years.  I highly doubt the #1 high school kicker in the nation would be satisfied with just punting until he is an upperclassman.

Which goes back to if he is a Bentonville transplant or not?  If he grew up a Hog fan we may have a chance.

secneahog

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 05:32:53 pm
I played my share of soccer as well. No it isn't easy to punt a ball 35+ with hang time, but with a bunch of athletes on the team there should at least be a handful.  There are walkon punters/kickers who can easily accomplish this, and probably a handful or more highschool punters on campus you could find to accomplish this.  It's the most easily replaceable position, it or kicker is the least injured position, and I'd argue punter is right behind kick returner as the least valuable position.  In a bind, you could find a fill-in.

I agree that you take the #1 guy if you can get him, especially since he does post.  That being said as long as Hedlund meets expectation our kicker position is locked down the next 4 years.  I highly doubt the #1 high school kicker in the nation would be satisfied with just punting until he is an upperclassman.

Which goes back to if he is a Bentonville transplant or not?  If he grew up a Hog fan we may have a chance.

It takes a lot of skill to have a elite punter. I don't think you can just throw someone in and expect a elite punt.

Distance, hang time and location of the punt is very difficult.

To just stand back and blast a punt can be done but to position the punt inside the 5 and in the corner is very difficult. 

redeye

Quote from: mhuff on June 21, 2014, 01:09:56 pm
If he is the #1 kicker and we do not offer a scholarship, we have lost our minds.

I'll hold off before going that far.  I believe that Kohl's Kicking is usually considered the nation's top kicking/punting camp/service and Moehring is 14th in their rankings.  In comparison, they rated Hedlund 4th, Camara 5th and Hocker 8th in their class rankings (they also have Camara and Hocker in the same class, but that's not right, is it?)  Moehring's probably a great kicker and we'll probably offer him, but I'm sure there will be a good reason if we don't.

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 01:14:51 pm

Yea, I'd only use a few schollies for kickers and punters, but enough to make sure we always had one that was reliable, because it's a huge disadvantage when you have unreliable kickers/punters.  The last thing we need is for Alabama to begin all their drives on our side of the field.

redeye

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2014, 05:32:53 pm

If it were so easy, I don't think you'd see so many problems with kickers and punters.  When these guys do their job, everyone thinks they just did what they were supposed to do, but they're chastised for failing to do an easy task, when they don't.  Like I said, if it were that easy, you wouldn't see so many problems.  It's not surprising that we had a great kicker (Hocker) and punter (Breeding) during our 2010-11 seasons.

1highhog

Did we fill our number last year on schollies?  Nope.  What about this year, I'm asking an honest question because I really don't know, can we use the schollies we didn't use last year with the ones we have for 2015?  You see a program like Tennessee having these big classes like last year, how do they do it?  Are they all on scholarship somehow or they got walk ons to have such a big class?  Fill me in guys.  My point I'm trying to get around to is why can't Arkansas have one of these 28 or 29 player classes?

redeye

Quote from: 1highhog on June 21, 2014, 06:53:57 pm
Did we fill our number last year on schollies?  Nope.  What about this year, I'm asking an honest question because I really don't know, can we use the schollies we didn't use last year with the ones we have for 2015?  You see a program like Tennessee having these big classes like last year, how do they do it?  Are they all on scholarship somehow or they got walk ons to have such a big class?  Fill me in guys.  My point I'm trying to get around to is why can't Arkansas have one of these 28 or 29 player classes?

I don't keep up with this like some do around here, but I think we're doing fine.  In fact, I suspect that bielema will handle things better then any coach we've had in a while, because keeping the roster full seems important to him and he can do that without signing a lot of recruits (e.g. minimizing attrition.)

Speaking of which, I believe Tennessee had a lot of spots available because they've had high attrition or for some other reason.  They probably won't sign that many this year.

jgphillips3

If the kid is a great kicker and just a few miles from campus, bring him on.  Hedlund could be the next Tejada for all we know (awesome in high school and deer in the headlights on Saturday).  Kicking is the difference in winning a title and finishing second (just ask Saban and Bobby Bowden).  Would not hurt at all to have two highly rated kickers on the same team.

ricepig

Scholarship kickers don't sit, or seldom do. I'm pretty sure they've got an idea on what their plans are with the kicking chores, this fall will give them more info.

thefisher

Quote from: East TN HAWG on June 21, 2014, 10:25:56 am
+1. Kickers are the most under appreciated position.  I think a kicker is worth the scholarship if he can kick off into the end zone every time even if he never puts one through the uprights.
Agreed.  The injury factor is also one folks seem to easily overlook.

How many kickers have been injured making a TD saving tackle on a kick off return?

How often has a punter been knocked out because of someone smashing into him as he was fully extended, exposed, and unprotected at the peak of a punt?

If one of those events happens, and the team loses their ace punter or kicker for the season, it will become obvious that a redshirt freshman on standby was one of the wisest scholarships they invested.

An ounce of prevention is worth many pounds of cure.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

JackJohnson

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 24, 2014, 09:55:00 am
If the kid is a great kicker and just a few miles from campus, bring him on.  Hedlund could be the next Tejada for all we know (awesome in high school and deer in the headlights on Saturday).  Kicking is the difference in winning a title and finishing second (just ask Saban and Bobby Bowden).  Would not hurt at all to have two highly rated kickers on the same team.

Agreed.  Even the best ones go into funks- look at Hocker in 2012 when he was benched for poor kicking.  Nutt ran off Dan Bailey bc he had Tejada coming in and didn't want to use 2 scholarships on Kickers- how bad of a mistake was that. 

IF this kid is the next Hedlund accolade wise, what is it going to hurt to have him?  At the very least he will keep Hedlund working to improve and save his leg for KOR and then start for 2 years as a RS JR and RS SR as a the starting K

HogMantheIntruder

I completely agree with both of you.  A fact that I think we often overlook is that kickers are often the top scorers on the team.  Ask Alabama how valuable a good kicker is, then ask Bill Belichick.  The recent Patriot dynasty was established by two field goals in two Super Bowls.
Something we have also seen (re: Alex Tejada) is how fragile a kicker's psyche can be. Sometimes a great kicker can become a choker overnight, and then you're left with... well, Alex Tejada.   
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

thefisher

I suppose I had the thoughts about a kicker rolling around in the back of my mind this afternoon. Somewhere from the recesses of my memory a quote along the line of your post came back to me.

Several years ago I was watching an interview with Joe Namath.  He said that if he were in charge of drafting for an NFL team he would use the first pick to get a great kicker. 

Namath gave a little further explanation for his reasoning.  He felt that any player possessing the ability to put the ball through the endzone on every kickoff was golden. In essence that kicker made the other teams offense face a full 80 yards to get pay dirt every time he touched the ball. Namath said that was one of the most powerful weapons a winning team could field.

Obviously that was in the time frame when the ball only went out to the 20 on touchbacks.

You may agree or disagree with Joe Namath's assessment of a good kickers worth to a team. However, he does raise what seem to be some very valid thoughts.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

GolfnHog

With the advent of rule changes in the game to eliminate or minimize returns most solid kickers are putting it in the endzone now so it almost makes Namath's point mute.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

redeye

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 24, 2014, 08:39:17 pm
With the advent of rule changes in the game to eliminate or minimize returns most solid kickers are putting it in the endzone now so it almost makes Namath's point mute.

Still need a great kicker for field goals, though.  How many games did we lose in 2009 because we couldn't hit field goals?  Florida and LSU games come to mind.

go hogues

If he's rated the #1 kicker, and we don't go after this kid with both barrels cocked, then we're not to bright.
:D
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

NLRHog92

Clearly you beat everyone to the punch there haha! I guess YOUR just TO smart for everyone

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: NLRHog92 on June 25, 2014, 03:21:07 am
Clearly you beat everyone to the punch there haha! I guess YOUR just TO smart for everyone

TOO smart for you since YOU'RE counting...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."