Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Primer on the New NCAA Football Playoff

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 18, 2014, 12:25:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

FYI, just ran across this nice summary of the new system.  Thought I'd post here for others to read and/or bookmark in case they had any questions as the new system is rolled out this Fall for the first time.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10767521/a-primer-new-college-football-playoff

PorkSoda

hmm, so no more computers to balance out human bias...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 19, 2014, 05:31:28 pm
hmm, so no more computers to balance out human bias...

Who do you think invented computers.......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2014, 05:39:41 pm
Get ready for a return to 100% politics.  earning it on the field is going the way of the dodo. it will be all about popularity and which teams will sell the most tickets.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawgzinbowlz

The computers likely do not include data for ticket sales, overall dollars generated and high stakes politics. LOL
Similar to the NCG model before the BCS.
71 Days and Counting...

" GO HOGS "

LZH

Anyone catch the criteria for the committee?......Integrity!  Here come the JL-bashers, ready to pile on in 3.....2.....1.....

Inhogswetrust

June 20, 2014, 11:12:36 am #6 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:01:23 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PorkSoda on June 19, 2014, 07:04:52 pm
Get ready for a return to 100% politics.  earning it on the field is going the way of the dodo. it will be all about popularity and which teams will sell the most tickets.

And if they have a salary cap as well as other rules like the NFL does then that wouldn't happen. Because not every schools team could dominate every year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Good explanation. Details which bowls, how they rotate, team selection and the members of the play off committee.

Start making your New Year's plans now.

Six of the most prestigious bowl games in the country will take place over 36 hours -- played as back-to-back tripleheaders on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. This bowl marathon will include the Peach Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl -- the Rose and Sugar playing host to the College Football Playoff semifinals.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10767521/a-primer-new-college-football-playoff
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

So it is going to be a lot like it was before the BCS, when the prestigious bowls that had at large spots got to pick WHOEVER THEY DARN WELL WANTED and did so based on who would sell tickets and draw eyeballs. No more being forced to take a 4 loss Pitt team, or a NO Ill team simply because they dominated a weak conf.

There were some of us that had said this was the concern about a playoff.  It was not the playoff itself, but HOW the teams would be picked.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MuskogeeHogFan

We will see. If they use a ranking system based on data that is generated by each team and a accurate SOS ranking, they may get pretty close to getting it right. Now whether that is actually going to happen or not, I'm not sure.
Go Hogs Go!

RT1941

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 01:53:35 pm
We will see. If they use a ranking system based on data that is generated by each team and a accurate SOS ranking, they may get pretty close to getting it right. Now whether that is actually going to happen or not, I'm not sure.
I wonder if they are going to use computers to generate their data?  I mean, I just can't see Condi Rice knowing enough about football in general to be able to contribute very much in the way of ranking teams for the purpose of a playoff system.  This committee will need to be ultra dedicated to watching and analyzing college football every weekend IMO.
RazorTusk!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RT1941 on June 30, 2014, 02:01:37 pm
I wonder if they are going to use computers to generate their data?  I mean, I just can't see Condi Rice knowing enough about football in general to be able to contribute very much in the way of ranking teams for the purpose of a playoff system.  This committee will need to be ultra dedicated to watching and analyzing college football every weekend IMO.

They better use computers and then allow a human vote as well.
Go Hogs Go!

RT1941

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 02:38:47 pm
They've gotta get a "base line" from somewhere. 
RazorTusk!!!!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 02:38:47 pm

My understanding is that it will be very similar to the basketball selection committee model - just a lot fewer teams selected.  They will have reams of data at their fingertips, but it is not as if there is some "formula" in which computer rankings count as this much, the subjective polls that much, etc.  It will be a "well educated" subjective poll, in essence.

And I predicted when this (that they would not be using some predefined mixture of the Polls and computer rankings) first came out a year ago that there would be a huge negative reaction if/when they choose 4 teams that are NOT the top 4 teams in the AP poll.  The one(s) left out (from the AP top 4) will bitch and scream like you've never heard.  Wait and see.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 30, 2014, 02:51:57 pm
My understanding is that it will be very similar to the basketball selection committee model - just a lot fewer teams selected.  They will have reams of data at their fingertips, but it is not as if there is some "formula" in which computer rankings count as this much, the subjective polls that much, etc.  It will be a "well educated" subjective poll, in essence.

And I predicted when this (that they would not be using some predefined mixture of the Polls and computer rankings) first came out a year ago that there would be a huge negative reaction if/when they choose 4 teams that are NOT the top 4 teams in the AP poll.  The one(s) left out (from the AP top 4) will bitch and scream like you've never heard.  Wait and see.

If you go by Phil Steele's Projected Power Rankings (and put any stock in them) for this coming year, your final four will be as follows:

1. Florida State
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. UCLA

If this were the case you get FSU vs. UCLA and FSU probably wins.

You also get a rematch of Alabama vs. Oklahoma, and I think Alabama wins this time, though you never know.

But a NCG with FSU and Alabama would be an instant classic.

Should Alabama lose, you get a replay of the 2001 Orange Bowl where FSU and Oklahoma met and OU won 13-2. Don't expect a repeat of that score if this game comes to fruition.
Go Hogs Go!

BigBabyHog71

Ummmm Condoleeza Rice on the selection committee???????

RT1941

Quote from: BigBabyHog71 on July 02, 2014, 08:46:26 am
Yep!  Now that's a head scratcher isnt' it? 
RazorTusk!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: RT1941 on July 02, 2014, 11:44:08 am
Yep!  Now that's a head scratcher isnt' it? 

Not at all. She is a rabid sports fan, and has a lot more common sense and intelligence than many of the names people would probably throw out to replace her with.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

That's clear. 

I would like to do away with all conference championship games, go to a full slate of conference games every team plays every other team in their own conference), which would require a 13 game season. This would make the committee's work unambiguous and insure the best 4 teams always meet for the playoffs.

The only thing the committee would have to do is eliminate the weakest conference champion, of the big five conferences, from playoff consideration.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 02, 2014, 12:38:35 pm
That's clear. 

I would like to do away with all conference championship games, go to a full slate of conference games every team plays every other team in their own conference), which would require a 13 game season. This would make the committee's work unambiguous and insure the best 4 teams always meet for the playoffs.

The only thing the committee would have to do is eliminate the weakest conference champion, of the big five conferences, from playoff consideration.

And exactly how would they choose the weakest one? The one that ran the tables in the ACC, or the one with two loses in the SEC?

bp

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2014, 09:12:01 am

Anyone catch the criteria for the committee?......Integrity!  Here come the JL-bashers, ready to pile on in 3.....2.....1.....

Revised rules, covering criteria:

Selection Committee

The Selection committee of 13 members, each serving a staggered a 3 year term.  The top criteria for the committee is integrity.  Therefore, no individual with any current or former association with the IRS or VA Hospital will be eligible.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: BigBabyHog71 on July 02, 2014, 08:46:26 am

Ok, no problem.  Just curious to see if the next Secretary of State comes from some football/athletic program......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2014, 05:39:41 pm

Algore
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hoglady

Should have just kept the current BCS formula and taken the Top 4 teams for the play off.
That would have been too easy I guess.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality