Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monday camp updates

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 16, 2014, 01:10:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

I assume Daniel Sprinkle is Jeremy's brother?

The Recruiting Guy

pillowhog

Quote from: Dropkick on June 16, 2014, 01:34:00 pm
I assume Daniel Sprinkle is Jeremy's brother?
Better at baseball than football

HOGINTENNESSEE

Just me but I would offer any kid from the Bequette family.

pillowhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 16, 2014, 02:21:57 pm
Just me but I would offer any kid from the Bequette family.
LOL I was thinking same thing

Jamie Jones

Richard, I had a brief conversation with Keith Jackson on Sunday morning, while checking my son in to camp. He mentioned having 2 boys in camp this week. Know anything about them? We will be back up early Tuesday morning to take in practice, check out and take In lunch with Jared. Maybe I'll see you again.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Jamie Jones on June 16, 2014, 04:03:14 pm
Richard, I had a brief conversation with Keith Jackson on Sunday morning, while checking my son in to camp. He mentioned having 2 boys in camp this week. Know anything about them? We will be back up early Tuesday morning to take in practice, check out and take In lunch with Jared. Maybe I'll see you again.

Yes.

booogaga

Sprinkle has a fastball in the low 90s. He will more than likely play baseball. That is just my opinion though.
GO HOGS!

Mike Irwin

Sprinkle told me after he was named the MVP of the state championship baseball game that he wanted to play both sports. He said Van Horn and Bielema have had conversations about it.

PygmalionEffect

I'm sure someone can name at least one person in the history of college sports that was able to play football and baseball at a high level at the same time, but I can't think of one. (outside of QB)
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

spurrr

hawgnosticator

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on June 16, 2014, 08:41:58 pm
I'm sure someone can name at least one person in the history of college sports that was able to play football and baseball at a high level at the same time, but I can't think of one. (outside of QB)

Deion

PygmalionEffect

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

jowl gore

Uncommon

Johnny Manziel

Oh wait, he didn't play baseball while at Texas A&M.  He didn't play his senior year of high school either.  Yet the Padres drafted him with what was the equivalent of a late 5th/early 6th round pick of the NFL Draft.  The Padres had 12 more picks after they took him.  Why not wait til one of your last selections to take a pick like that when there are other players who could develop instead and won't be playing other sports?

I still can't understand how anyone in that front office still has a job with that horrible decision.  Did anyone not speak up and disagree?  This isn't a bash Johnny Manziel thing because he possibly could be a good baseball player since he is a great athlete.  But how early he was selected was the worst display of logic I've seen in awhile.

Also, if I was a player that was taken by the Padres after the Johnny Manziel selection, I'd be furious.  By drafting Johnny Manziel, you're saying to those following draft picks that a guy that hasn't played baseball in 3 years is better than you.

:puke:

And it's not just me who feels this way.  Here's an article about other minor league baseball players who feel the same way.  Even former Hog pitcher Colby Suggs is mentioned in the article - http://milbprospective.mlblogs.com/2014/06/13/minoring-in-twitter-minor-leaguers-reticent-about-johnny-manziel-getting-drafted/

Albert Swinestein

Building off the above, here are a few non-QB football/baseball athletes.  The problem is that I am not sure how many did both at the same time, which is your point...but still an interesting list.  Your point in how difficult it is to do both still stands though:

Cris Carter
Bo Jackson
Ricky Williams
Tyler Gafney
Toby Gerhart
Jai Miller
Cedric Benson
John Lynch
Deion Sanders
Quan Cosby
Javon Walker
Chad Jones
Eric Decker
Jack Del Rio
Brandon Jones
Going back in years, Bill Parcells

IronMountainHog

redeye

That's quite a statement about Marcus Walker in the latest update.  Thanks RD!

farhog

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: redeye on June 16, 2014, 10:49:53 pm
That's quite a statement about Marcus Walker in the latest update.  Thanks RD!

If Walker wants early PT we got it. I just watched his Highlight tape. Kid is good.

Oklahawg

Of course, the QB exclusion takes Jameis Winston off of the list. Current closer for FSU.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

whosiskid

Kirk Gibson played professional baseball in the summer while playing football at Michigan State.

Dave Debusscherre played both baseball and (more successfully) pro basketball at the same time.

Way back in the fifties Chuck Connors played both professional baseball and professional basketball, neither very well.

Both Andre Dawson and Micky Mantle would have played football instead of baseball if they hadn't suffered injuries in high school.

I forget his name, but there was a Cub relief pitcher in the eighties who had played basketball at North Carolina State during the school year and pro ball in the summer. Same with Danny Ainge.

But with regard to Sprinkle and also Kasey Ford, it isn't just a matter of which you are better at, but which you love. Like I said, hard to imagine Micky Mantle being better at football (though with his strength and extreme speed, it is easy to imagine him being an amazing running back - but on the other hand, Bill James says that in his opinion Mantle was at the peak of his career the best baseball player ever, not just a five tool player, but a five tool player who was as fast as any player in baseball at the time and without any question the most power, the latter not just at the time but perhaps ever, and a switch hitter to boot - hard to imagine a more gifted player - however, I would argue for Babe Ruth as the best ball player, even if he wasn't a five tool player, since once debate the hitting thing, with Ruth being arguably as great as any hitter ever, you have to add to the debate the fact that he would was a Hall of Fame quality pitcher in addition to being the best power hitter of all time)(anyone questioning Ruth being the greatest power hitter ever should look at the book with the title something like THE YEAR BABE RUTH HIT 104 HOME RUNS - The author actually stated his research off questioning that Ruth was the best power hitter ever, but after going carefully through newspapers covering the 1921 season, he discovered that had the ball parks in 1921 had the dimensions they had in 1931 [most parks pulled in the fences to make homers easier after they proved so popular], Ruth would have had about 104 homers - but in 1921 they were simply incredibly long flies to the outfield, sometimes 420 or longer. Some of the power alleys were well over 400 feet, while dead center was often well over 450. )
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jseinfeld50

With marginal success, Tim Stoddard (6'7") started at forward on the NC State with David Thompson (NC 73-74) and he lettered in baseball and basketball at NC State. He was also an MLB pitcher 1978-89.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: whosiskid on June 17, 2014, 01:51:37 am
Kirk Gibson played professional baseball in the summer while playing football at Michigan State.

Dave Debusscherre played both baseball and (more successfully) pro basketball at the same time.

Way back in the fifties Chuck Connors played both professional baseball and professional basketball, neither very well.

Both Andre Dawson and Micky Mantle would have played football instead of baseball if they hadn't suffered injuries in high school.

I forget his name, but there was a Cub relief pitcher in the eighties who had played basketball at North Carolina State during the school year and pro ball in the summer. Same with Danny Ainge.

But with regard to Sprinkle and also Kasey Ford, it isn't just a matter of which you are better at, but which you love. Like I said, hard to imagine Micky Mantle being better at football (though with his strength and extreme speed, it is easy to imagine him being an amazing running back - but on the other hand, Bill James says that in his opinion Mantle was at the peak of his career the best baseball player ever, not just a five tool player, but a five tool player who was as fast as any player in baseball at the time and without any question the most power, the latter not just at the time but perhaps ever, and a switch hitter to boot - hard to imagine a more gifted player - however, I would argue for Babe Ruth as the best ball player, even if he wasn't a five tool player, since once debate the hitting thing, with Ruth being arguably as great as any hitter ever, you have to add to the debate the fact that he would was a Hall of Fame quality pitcher in addition to being the best power hitter of all time)(anyone questioning Ruth being the greatest power hitter ever should look at the book with the title something like THE YEAR BABE RUTH HIT 104 HOME RUNS - The author actually stated his research off questioning that Ruth was the best power hitter ever, but after going carefully through newspapers covering the 1921 season, he discovered that had the ball parks in 1921 had the dimensions they had in 1931 [most parks pulled in the fences to make homers easier after they proved so popular], Ruth would have had about 104 homers - but in 1921 they were simply incredibly long flies to the outfield, sometimes 420 or longer. Some of the power alleys were well over 400 feet, while dead center was often well over 450. )

That is some great info on Babe Ruth. I wonder how they were able to calculate what would have been a home run? I guess they keep up with distance on all hits? Anyways, that is pretty cool.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

RyeHogFan

I saw where we offered Charles West and so I looked up his video. Wow! The kid is a burner, has elite balance and above average strength. I don't know what other major colleges are waiting on but I hope they all stay away because this kid will be a steal.

Hawg_Thai'd

RD seems to really like Walker. That was a strong statement to say that "He might have had the best performance of any DB at an Arkansas camp in the last seven years. His ability to play the ball in the air is exceptional." He has us in his top 3 now. Has some pretty decent offers. Seems to be good enough to play on Mich. State's defense. Position we need some good ball players at.

Hog on the Hill

I'm no expert, but I really liked William Lockett's highlights on Hudl.  I hope we offer him.

MH04

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on June 17, 2014, 10:11:48 am
I'm no expert, but I really liked William Lockett's highlights on Hudl.  I hope we offer him.

I thought the exact same thing, I haven't seen a corner that hits like that in a while

MH04

Quote from: RyeHogFan on June 17, 2014, 08:51:16 am
I saw where we offered Charles West and so I looked up his video. Wow! The kid is a burner, has elite balance and above average strength. I don't know what other major colleges are waiting on but I hope they all stay away because this kid will be a steal.

West is the type of kid that we need to jump on now, he is very under recruited and could be a good player for us. I think the same could be said for guys like DJ Brown

bulldog04

Jeff Samardzija

pillowhog

One thing Ive noticed that most good qb's werent great pitchers in baseball.  They usually were good 3rd basemen.  The reason?  Totally different releases in throwing a football and pitching. 

Uberanubis

take it for what its worth, but I love a good conspiracy theory. he's good enough in football to warrant a scholi, but the whole purpose is to get a FULL free ride to play baseball.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: pillowhog on June 17, 2014, 03:57:40 pm
One thing Ive noticed that most good qb's werent great pitchers in baseball.  They usually were good 3rd basemen.  The reason?  Totally different releases in throwing a football and pitching.

Nice smite count # there pillow.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: pillowhog on June 17, 2014, 03:57:40 pm

Or catchers.

MP24

Quote from: MH04 on June 17, 2014, 11:16:02 am
West is the type of kid that we need to jump on now, he is very under recruited and could be a good player for us. I think the same could be said for guys like DJ Brown

https://twitter.com/charles_1_west/status/479341458386731008
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

pillowhog