Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup Brazil(USA ALL GAMES THREAD), Group G GAMES: USA, Germany, Portugal, Ghana

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 15, 2014, 07:25:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

And that's why it's never a bad idea to have your country's highest world cup scorer on the bench.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Klinsmann going with #9 Johannson

The U.S. has to quit clearing the ball and try to keep possession and build from the back.

We can't keep just kicking balls in the air and out of bounds
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

There we go, much better.  Bradley goes and gets and they build instead of Howard sending  it back to Ghana or out of bounds
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

The Boar War

Apparently Ghana took the old prey game "Lets go out and punch 'em in the nose" speech literally.

Quote from: The Boar War on June 16, 2014, 05:33:43 pm
And now Dempsey gets whacked.

Yikes.  Shin to mouth/nose.  People don't realize how much getting kicked hurts

I think Klinsmann may just have to admit he was wrong not bringing Donovan.

The Boar War

Quote from: The Boar War on June 16, 2014, 05:36:58 pm
Our play in the middle third of the field has been terrible.

Yeah, they have us backed up.  And without Altidore bringing 2-3 guys with him, Klinsmann needs to make some adjustments.

Wild Bill Hog

We are definitely losing the time of possession battle in a big way.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Finally, that was a good run.

Johannson shanks it but he made a good pass at first.  He had Bradley wide open though on the shank

You know what?  I agree, Bradley's out of sync, Altidore is out, Dempsey has disappeared since getting clocked in the mouth - we are not playing our game

YET we are up 1-0!

I'll take it.  Klinsmann will make adjustments.  As much as the Donovan thing was a bonehead move, he's a good manager.

We have another 45 minutes to get in sync, and Ghana has attacked but they don't look that great.

Let's get Bradley going and get Dempsey or Wondo(if Dempsey can't get the cobwebs out) another goal.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

you know Donovan inside is going, see Klinsmann, no w you know you made a mistake, but yes Klinsmann is a great coach.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 16, 2014, 06:02:01 pm
Donovan is understandably sick at his stomach.

He was a class act - I would have said "ssssssseeeeee???

Who'd a thought we'd be up, on the verge of 3 points, yet be playing so poorly and have 2 major injuries?

Gotta fight through this

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fort Dweller on June 16, 2014, 06:31:34 pm
That was great defense!

Yes.  Sometimes when your game isn't clicking, you have to fight it out, and we are definitely showing heart - especially Howard.

Fort Dweller

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Notshavin on June 16, 2014, 06:32:44 pm
Yes.  Sometimes when your game isn't clicking, you have to fight it out, and we are definitely showing heart - especially Howard.

Jones is ballin

Quote from: Fort Dweller on June 16, 2014, 06:35:57 pm
Another American cramping

I like this substitution, Zusi is an offensive player.  Got to get some counter attacks going

Quote from: Fort Dweller on June 16, 2014, 06:36:21 pm
Jones is ballin

Easily could be 2-1 or 3-1 Ghana if not for Jones

Good to get this kind of game out of our system, if we can maintain this lead.  Like Donovan said, we need to bury it when we get a chance.

Good start by Bradley.  That was a great build up.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Notshavin on June 16, 2014, 06:36:44 pm
I like this substitution, Zusi is an offensive player.  Got to get some counter attacks going

Johnson seems to be giving us life

Fort Dweller

Fort Dweller

OH MY!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!

WHO IS BROOKS??  THE WINNER OF THIS GAME, THAT'S WHO HE IS!!!

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2014, 06:51:43 pm
I'm guessing Twellman must be Bradley's agent or something.  I cannot see at all why Twellman thinks Bradley has played well. 

I think he's played with heart.  He hasn't been fed the ball.  He also hasn't stole it and made something happen like he normally does, but our players have to find a way to get him the ball.  We can't expect him to go take it every time.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BALL GAME

USA USA USA

Brooks and Zusi, instand LEGENDS wow wow

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2014, 06:59:46 pm
Here's what I don't see in Bradley - and I admit this comparison is fraught with problem but here goes anyway.  When you look at the best midfielders, the ball doesn't always flow through them but the game still functions through them (see Iniesta and Alonso for example).

Bradley just seems to disappear for long stretches of the game far too often and doesn't seem to effect the game in positive ways without the ball. 

I don't want to overreact here because it is just one game but I certainly want to see much better from Bradley against Portugal. 

FWIW: realize the a win versus Portugal means a berth in the knockout round.... 

That's valid.  I will say he HAS to do more if we have ANY chance of getting out of this group.

What a win today though.

I'm going to enjoy this for a week before I think about our weaknesses.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!

YEAH!!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 16, 2014, 07:09:47 pm
What a game.  WE COULD NOT TAKE A TIE TONIGHT.

Great win.

huge, Huge, HUGE

We need a win or a tie against Portugal and we should move on.  Got to watch our goal differential against Germany though.

Hogsooey

Wow, what a match!  Quick random thoughts:  Jones was in absolute beast mode tonight. I think all the injuries hurt us in keeping possession.  Bradley surely won't play that poorly again.  That was his worst performance in years (what was he thinking pumping a hopeful cross in the box with less than a minute left - hold the ball!).  Yet we still won.

Huckleberry Pig

Wow, what's the old golf saying... "3 bad shots and one great shot can still get you par".  92 minutes of bad soccer and 3 minutes of good soccer can still get you a win.  Have a lot to complain about with this game.... But we got a W and that's all that matters so gonna enjoy the W for the evening before I start thinking about the bad and what needs to get corrected before last game.  If only for a bit, you should always get a chance to enjoy a win, they are tough to come by in World Cup play!

Look forward to discussing with y'all tomorrow - GO USA!!!

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 16, 2014, 07:55:27 pm
Wow, what's the old golf saying... "3 bad shots and one great shot can still get you par".  92 minutes of bad soccer and 3 minutes of good soccer can still get you a win.  Have a lot to complain about with this game.... But we got a W and that's all that matters so gonna enjoy the W for the evening before I start thinking about the bad and what needs to get corrected before last game.  If only for a bit, you should always get a chance to enjoy a win, they are tough to come by in World Cup play!

Look forward to discussing with y'all tomorrow - GO USA!!!

Enjoyed your story and very cool to have someone who played soccer for The Hogs.

Tomorrow Mexico vs. Brazil should be good.

Huckleberry Pig

Just showed a great clip of Klinsmann and Rimando hugging after the Brooks' goal, lol.  Good ol' Rimando, the bench cheerleader!

JayBell

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2014, 06:59:46 pmHere's what I don't see in Bradley - and I admit this comparison is fraught with problem but here goes anyway.  When you look at the best midfielders, the ball doesn't always flow through them but the game still functions through them (see Iniesta and Alonso for example).

Bradley just seems to disappear for long stretches of the game far too often and doesn't seem to effect the game in positive ways without the ball. 

I don't want to overreact here because it is just one game but I certainly want to see much better from Bradley against Portugal. 

FWIW: realize the a win versus Portugal means a berth in the knockout round....

Yesterday, yes.  That is not usually the case.

Remember, he's not in the same kind of role as Xavi, Pirlo, Sneijder, etc., at least not until recently.  Bradley is a holding midfidler.  He is a prototypical No. 6, going box to box and facilitating everything in between.

It wasn't until recently that Klinsmann pushed Bradley further up.  He hitched the US's wagon to Bradley, and that probably wasn't a bad idea.

But Bradley was definitely poor yesterday, at least by his standards.  I would wager that was Bradley's worst performance in years.  He struggled to complete even the simplest of passes.  That was exacerbated by Besler and Altidore's injuries, but he has to be better against Portugal.

JayBell

Alright, first, the good in short form: it was simply one of the great US Soccer victories of all time.  It exhibited everything the US has come to embody: playing better than the sum of its parts, overcoming adversity, overcoming injuries, fighting through piss poor refereeing and taking advantage of timely opportunities.

Jones, Howard, Besler, Cameron, Beckerman, Bedoya and Dempsey were titans.  IMO, Jones is redeemed for every bit of boneheadedness and laziness we have had to endure since he had played for the US.  I thought he would be a beast finally getting to play in a World Cup, but he exceeded my expectations.  Zusi and Brooks will be legends for their contributions off the bench.

Yesterday was a momentous and monumental day in the history of soccer in America.  The official ratings are like a 7.0 overnight on ESPN, which I think is like 12 million.  With the number and scale of the watch parties, I'll conservatively estimate that at least 30 million Americans were watching yesterday.

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."