Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup Brazil(USA ALL GAMES THREAD), Group G GAMES: USA, Germany, Portugal, Ghana

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 15, 2014, 07:25:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBell

The good in long form:

The US came out so damn strong in the first 10 minutes and looked like they could beat Ghana by 2-3 goals.  Dempsey's goal was the third fastest in World Cup history.  Jozy had that early chance and he looked primed for a goal.  I just knew he was going to score.  Jóhannsson was anonymous, but that's mainly based on the system.

Everything went downhill from there.

Altidore went down injured.  The referee was basically letting Ghana get away with any kind of physical play they wanted.  Besler was injured.  Dempsey was kicked in the face and no card was issued.  It broke Dempsey's nose and he couldn't breathe through blood for much of the rest of the match.  The guy who should have been the team's leader, Bradley, was just poor.  I cannot remember the last time I had that thought about Bradley.  It was one of his worst games in years, unquestionably.

That said, the effort was valiant and the performance under such dire circumstances was epic.  The US had the most clearances of any team in recorded World Cup history, reaching back 48 years.  Tim Howard had the most touches on the team because he was confident and assertive in the area, and the US desperately needed that.

Jones, for my money, was the best player on the field.  He was everywhere.  He won 15 duels yesterday, no other US player won more than six.  And he wasn't just involved on defense, he was better in the attack than Beckerman and especially Bradley.  I think Jones should be forgiven for all of his lackadaisical efforts over the years.  He switched to the US to play in a World Cup, and he rose to the occasion.

Howard, Besler and Cameron were so, so good for most of the match.  Besler had to leave with the injury.  Later, Cameron and Howard were beaten on the goal, but they held firm amidst an onslaught of Ghanaian attacks with no help from the referee.  The only silver lining I can find from the referee's performance is that he did not gift Ghana any penalties, and there were several close enough that he could have.  Brooks was decent in defense, but shaky.  His goal was awesome, of course, but I wouldn't want to rely on him against Portugal.

Fabian Johnson was kept home more at right back than he has recently.  The US needed his defense, but both he and Beasley were exposed at times.  That wasn't their fault, that's just Klinsmann's system.  The work of Jones and Bedoya on the flanks, and Zusi later on, was key in trying to help the defense as much as possible.  Beckerman added cover too.  The US backline needed everyone's help and it paid off.

Overall, a lot of truly epic defensive performances.  Jones and Howard were the best on the field, IMO.  Others like Besler, Cameron, Beckerman, Bedoya and Dempsey had great performances, with mistakes mixed in.  Fabian and Beasley did as much as they could, I think.  The biggest disappointments were Jóhannsson and Bradley.  It wasn't AroJo's fault, but you would have hoped he would have more of an impact.  I fully expect Bradley to dominate the Portugal match.  His mentality will not allow him to accept that Ghana performance.

JayBell

Quote from: DewUar88 on June 17, 2014, 09:18:09 amThough he was going to have his way, I started to pray

Those were some epic slo-mo's.  The US fan's slo-mo celebration on the second goal got a big cheer from the crowd too.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 16, 2014, 07:55:27 pmWow, what's the old golf saying... "3 bad shots and one great shot can still get you par".  92 minutes of bad soccer and 3 minutes of good soccer can still get you a win.  Have a lot to complain about with this game.... But we got a W and that's all that matters so gonna enjoy the W for the evening before I start thinking about the bad and what needs to get corrected before last game.  If only for a bit, you should always get a chance to enjoy a win, they are tough to come by in World Cup play!

Look forward to discussing with y'all tomorrow - GO USA!!!

I disagree that it was 92 minutes of bad soccer, but that is a difference in philosophy.

It's like when people said that the US didn't deserve the 2-0 win over Spain in 2009 because they were on the back foot most of the match.  Well, that was necessitated by Spain's style.  If the US is better on the counter, Spain prefers possession and the US defense shuts out Spain, I consider that a deserved win.

Same with yesterday.  The US came out with guns blazing.  The change in the game was necessitated by Altidore's injuries and the referee allowing physical and reckless play.  They changed with the game, invited the pressure from Ghana and picked up the late goal.

JayBell

Unfortunately, I think the US paid very, very dearly for that victory.  They are beaten and bloodied and will be limping into the Portugal match.

The loss of Altidore is huge.  I thought he would score against Ghana.  The Portuguese backline will not have chemistry after having to replace Pepe.  Pepe is nuts, but he is a leader for Portugal.  Maybe Dempsey and Jóhannsson can give the backline fits, but I think Altidore would have had a field day.

Besler toughed it out in the first half, but you wonder about him too.  Brooks was shaky in defense.  The amazingness of his goal does not change that.  Having Brooks and Cameron next to each other gives you a lot of size but little speed to track Portugal's speedy attackers.

Dempsey (31), Beasley (32) and Beckerman (32) logged a lot of miles against Ghana.  Jones and Bradley did too, but they're more fit.  Deuce and Beckerman also took an absolute beating from the Black Stars.  Beckerman was cleaned out multiple times and Dempsey was thrown around like a rag doll on several instances.  The problem is, in Klinsmann's system, there's no replacement for any of them.

JayBell

And that is what I have been most worried about this whole damn time.  Roster spots 15-23 are just absolutely terribly organized by Klinsmann.

In the diamond with Jones on the left, the US has no replacements for Altidore, Dempsey, Jones, Beckerman, Besler or Beasley.  Donovan gives you a replacement for Dempsey or Altidore, Boyd is the most similar forward to Altidore, Edu gives you a replacement for Beckerman or Jones, and Tim Ream could stand in for Besler or Beasley.  Alas, Brad Davis, Timmy Chandler, Omar Gonzalez and Julian Green are essentially wasted roster spots.

You can put in some of those guys, but it requires a lot of changes over just six days.  You can use Davis on the left and hope he serves in a good set piece.  You can shift Bradley back and/or put Mix Disk in front of him.  If Besler recovers in time, maybe you slide Cameron forward to CM before or during the game.  No matter what, you're either going into the jungle to face a wounded animal with a lot of tired legs and/or a system overhaul.

Huckleberry Pig

Jaybell, really like your write-ups!  I think we differ on preferred styles of play but so does every coach in the World Cup, that's what makes soccer such a beautiful game.  I will say I thought the match was refereed pretty well.  Don't get me wrong, there were some missed calls and the kick to Beck and esp Demp were deserved yellows.  I would just prefer the ref to allow a more physical game than to call a foul on every little thing.  One, you have a greater risk of getting a questionable PK and two, it just takes away from the rhythm of the game. 

I think most referees tend to blow the whistle too much and it results in game changing penalty kicks that maybe shouldn't have been called (see Portugal).  The ref last night allowed a physical game but I thought he was mostly fair and being that I barely noticed him - I thought he did a fine job. 

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 09:35:12 am
Unfortunately, I think the US paid very, very dearly for that victory.  They are beaten and bloodied and will be limping into the Portugal match.

The loss of Altidore is huge.  I thought he would score against Ghana.  The Portuguese backline will not have chemistry after having to replace Pepe.  Pepe is nuts, but he is a leader for Portugal.  Maybe Dempsey and Jóhannsson can give the backline fits, but I think Altidore would have had a field day.

Besler toughed it out in the first half, but you wonder about him too.  Brooks was shaky in defense.  The amazingness of his goal does not change that.  Having Brooks and Cameron next to each other gives you a lot of size but little speed to track Portugal's speedy attackers.

Dempsey (31), Beasley (32) and Beckerman (32) logged a lot of miles against Ghana.  Jones and Bradley did too, but they're more fit.  Deuce and Beckerman also took an absolute beating from the Black Stars.  Beckerman was cleaned out multiple times and Dempsey was thrown around like a rag doll on several instances.  The problem is, in Klinsmann's system, there's no replacement for any of them.

spot on here

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 09:24:12 am
I disagree that it was 92 minutes of bad soccer, but that is a difference in philosophy.

It's like when people said that the US didn't deserve the 2-0 win over Spain in 2009 because they were on the back foot most of the match.  Well, that was necessitated by Spain's style.  If the US is better on the counter, Spain prefers possession and the US defense shuts out Spain, I consider that a deserved win.

Same with yesterday.  The US came out with guns blazing.  The change in the game was necessitated by Altidore's injuries and the referee allowing physical and reckless play.  They changed with the game, invited the pressure from Ghana and picked up the late goal.

I'm not saying we didn't deserve the win, I just thought it was VERY risky to play as defensive as we did after the first 10 minutes of the game.  You had to know with the opportunities Ghana was creating that if we continued to play that way, they would get their goal eventually.  I was hoping to see us continue to press a bit more throughout the game and focus on some offensive possession, if anything just to release some of the pressure on the D. 

I figured Ghana would get their goal, my question was would we be able to get a 2nd.  Fortunately we did. 

Now that being said, I understand with losing Alti that took some of our ability to counter away but I would have still liked to see Bradley press a little more on the counter.  Maybe Klinsmann was worried about us getting sucked up when pressing and them using their speed and athleticism to counter. 

JayBell

So I really have no clue what Klinsmann will do next game, which is par for the course these days.  If you want to get some fresh legs out there, he could go:

-------Wondo------------
----------Dempsey------
Davis----------------Zusi
----Bradley---Jones-----
Beasley-----------Fabian
---Brooks---Cameron---
---------Howard---------

Maybe he sticks to his guns and keeps the same lineup as last game and just changes out Zusi for Bedoya:

-----Jóhannsson-------
------------Dempsey---
---------Bradley---------
Jones---------------Zusi
-------Beckerman------
Beasley----------Fabian
---Besler---Cameron---
--------Howard---------

Maybe slide Bradley back after his poor game and give Mix a run out:
-----Jóhannsson-------
------------Dempsey---
-------Diskerud---------
Jones---------------Zusi
--------Bradley---------
Beasley----------Fabian
---Besler---Cameron---
--------Howard---------

Either way, the US is not going to Manaus with near the physical advantage I thought they would have.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 09:40:51 am
And that is what I have been most worried about this whole damn time.  Roster spots 15-23 are just absolutely terribly organized by Klinsmann.

In the diamond with Jones on the left, the US has no replacements for Altidore, Dempsey, Jones, Beckerman, Besler or Beasley.  Donovan gives you a replacement for Dempsey or Altidore, Boyd is the most similar forward to Altidore, Edu gives you a replacement for Beckerman or Jones, and Tim Ream could stand in for Besler or Beasley.  Alas, Brad Davis, Timmy Chandler, Omar Gonzalez and Julian Green are essentially wasted roster spots.

You can put in some of those guys, but it requires a lot of changes over just six days.  You can use Davis on the left and hope he serves in a good set piece.  You can shift Bradley back and/or put Mix Disk in front of him.  If Besler recovers in time, maybe you slide Cameron forward to CM before or during the game.  No matter what, you're either going into the jungle to face a wounded animal with a lot of tired legs and/or a system overhaul.

again, spot on. +1  will be interesting to see what lineup we come out with.  I'm worried about Besler, a lot of times those hammy's can linger or creep back up on you in the middle of the next match.  I assume Alti is done for group play at least, if not longer.  Looked bad. 

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 09:46:49 amJaybell, really like your write-ups!  I think we differ on preferred styles of play but so does every coach in the World Cup, that's what makes soccer such a beautiful game.  I will say I thought the match was refereed pretty well.  Don't get me wrong, there were some missed calls and the kick to Beck and esp Demp were deserved yellows.  I would just prefer the ref to allow a more physical game than to call a foul on every little thing.  One, you have a greater risk of getting a questionable PK and two, it just takes away from the rhythm of the game. 

I think most referees tend to blow the whistle too much and it results in game changing penalty kicks that maybe shouldn't have been called (see Portugal).  The ref last night allowed a physical game but I thought he was mostly fair and being that I barely noticed him - I thought he did a fine job.

Oh I'd prefer the US play a more attacking style, but they couldn't.  I view it as the US playing the style that they had to in order to win.  I count off even less because they came out and wanted to play a different style, but everything forced them to go ultra defensive.

Agreed about the referee.  Someone made a great point on Twitter last night that Ghana's physical play actually cost them the game.  If the defender clears the ball out in the 86th minute instead of clearing out the US player, then we don't get the corner kick.

The referee was fine by US match standards (and it is sad that we have to view it through that lens), but I just worry about how his decisions affect the US players physically for the next match.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 09:54:45 amI'm not saying we didn't deserve the win, I just thought it was VERY risky to play as defensive as we did after the first 10 minutes of the game.  You had to know with the opportunities Ghana was creating that if we continued to play that way, they would get their goal eventually.  I was hoping to see us continue to press a bit more throughout the game and focus on some offensive possession, if anything just to release some of the pressure on the D. 

I figured Ghana would get their goal, my question was would we be able to get a 2nd.  Fortunately we did. 

Now that being said, I understand with losing Alti that took some of our ability to counter away but I would have still liked to see Bradley press a little more on the counter.  Maybe Klinsmann was worried about us getting sucked up when pressing and them using their speed and athleticism to counter.

Definitely.  You knew Ghana was going to score.  It was maddening to watch Bradley, Dempsey and others fail to complete simple passes.  They were really, really poor in that part of the game.  They just could not string any passes together to gain some possession and take pressure off the defense.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 09:57:41 amagain, spot on. +1  will be interesting to see what lineup we come out with.  I'm worried about Besler, a lot of times those hammy's can linger or creep back up on you in the middle of the next match.  I assume Alti is done for group play at least, if not longer.  Looked bad.

I think you might have to risk Besler against Portugal.  If he goes down again, you can definitely go with Brooks against Germany, but give Besler the chance to go against Portugal.  Same with Beasley, and save Chandler for Germany.

You can hope Altidore is back for the Germany stage.  I think you give him round the clock treatment for the next week and a half no matter what.  I always thought Portugal could be a match where you sit him if you need to.  Wondo and AroJo can be very useful against Portugal's defense.

JoePaul03

Quote from: Notshavin on June 16, 2014, 08:34:37 pm
Just showed a great clip of Klinsmann and Rimando hugging after the Brooks' goal, lol.  Good ol' Rimando, the bench cheerleader!

Rimando is the ML Carr of our squad.
WCOB, 2003

JoePaul03

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 08:59:07 am
Alright, first, the good in short form: it was simply one of the great US Soccer victories of all time.  It exhibited everything the US has come to embody: playing better than the sum of its parts, overcoming adversity, overcoming injuries, fighting through piss poor refereeing and taking advantage of timely opportunities.

Jones, Howard, Besler, Cameron, Beckerman, Bedoya and Dempsey were titans.  IMO, Jones is redeemed for every bit of boneheadedness and laziness we have had to endure since he had played for the US.  I thought he would be a beast finally getting to play in a World Cup, but he exceeded my expectations.  Zusi and Brooks will be legends for their contributions off the bench.

Yesterday was a momentous and monumental day in the history of soccer in America.  The official ratings are like a 7.0 overnight on ESPN, which I think is like 12 million.  With the number and scale of the watch parties, I'll conservatively estimate that at least 30 million Americans were watching yesterday.

Plus don't forget how many Latino-Americans watch on Univision.
WCOB, 2003

JayBell

Quote from: JoePaul03 on June 17, 2014, 10:34:39 amPlus don't forget how many Latino-Americans watch on Univision.

Exactly.  Univision is going to be comparable to ESPN.  And Cowherd said FIFA reported that 26 million people watched on digital platforms.

My estimation is up to 50 million.  And even that may be low.  Have you seen the size of some watch parties in KC, NY, Pennsylvania, Chicago and California?  There were literally thousands of people at some of those.

JayBell

JoePaul03

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 10:40:03 am
Exactly.  Univision is going to be comparable to ESPN.  And Cowherd said FIFA reported that 26 million people watched on digital platforms.

My estimation is up to 50 million.  And even that may be low.  Have you seen the size of some watch parties in KC, NY, Pennsylvania, Chicago and California?  There were literally thousands of people at some of those.

Yeah, I don't know if you've ever been to Grant Park in Chicago, but it's HUUUUGE...and it looked packed to the gills yesterday.
WCOB, 2003

Cresthog

Belgium down 1-0 through 60mins. That could have huge implication if the US makes it through.

JayBell

Quote from: Cresthog on June 17, 2014, 12:16:02 pmBelgium down 1-0 through 60mins. That could have huge implication if the US makes it through.

Algeria is trolling Belgium so hard.

Just like four years ago with Ghana, the US would love their chances against Russia or Belgium.  Obviously that doesn't guarantee a win, but you'd rather see a Belgium, whose current generation has never been to a World Cup, or Russia than Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany, etc. in the knockout rounds.

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 12:26:56 pm
Algeria is trolling Belgium so hard.

Just like four years ago with Ghana, the US would love their chances against Russia or Belgium.  Obviously that doesn't guarantee a win, but you'd rather see a Belgium, whose current generation has never been to a World Cup, or Russia than Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany, etc. in the knockout rounds.

I'd personally much rather see Russia. Belgium has, although young, serious talent.

And they just took the lead on a nasty goal.

Hogsooey

I don't think we'll be that bad in possession again. That's the worst I've seen possession wise for us in a while. It was the perfect storm. Bradley was uncharactetistically careless with his passing and touches. We rely on Altidore to hold up the ball and pass back to mids and/or Dempsey running off him. He goes down and we have a very young/green, but talented, player subbed in for him whose game is totally different. Dempsey keeps possession for us as well, but understandably, he couldn't breathe and probably expended all he could just defending.

And, to Ghana's credit, they pressured us very well and took advantage of the ref allowing them to play physical. There were multiple yellows he didn't give and that allows them to keep playing aggressive - to their credit they did. Their guys looked very fit and pressed us well, making it very difficult for us to build out of the back.

JayBell

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 17, 2014, 12:39:13 pmI don't think we'll be that bad in possession again. That's the worst I've seen possession wise for us in a while. It was the perfect storm. Bradley was uncharactetistically careless with his passing and touches. We rely on Altidore to hold up the ball and pass back to mids and/or Dempsey running off him. He goes down and we have a very young/green, but talented, player subbed in for him whose game is totally different. Dempsey keeps possession for us as well, but understandably, he couldn't breathe and probably expended all he could just defending.

Exactly.  I really think the US was coming out strong before everything happened.  Remember, Besler is also solid with the ball at his feet.  The US possession was dismantled at every level with Besler struggling with his injury, Bradley's poor performance and Altidore's injury.

I think Jozy's injury had a huge mental impact as well.  This team is/was really looking to him to be their leader in the attack, especially after he finally broke out again against Nigeria.  They held it together, but his injury definitely impacted the way they tried to play.

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 17, 2014, 12:39:13 pmAnd, to Ghana's credit, they pressured us very well and took advantage of the ref allowing them to play physical. There were multiple yellows he didn't give and that allows them to keep playing aggressive - to their credit they did. Their guys looked very fit and pressed us well, making it very difficult for us to build out of the back.

Definitely.  Others have said on Twitter, after watching the match again, Ghana was really, really good.  That is part of what made the win so epic.  The US had to overcome so much.

Huckleberry Pig

I also thought their aggressive play that the ref tolerated allowed us to get away with some stuff that we might not have against a less physical team. 

And jay I definitely see what you're saying.  Knew with alti going down it took away out ability to press, just would have liked to put together a few more counter attacks with how much Ghana was pressing.

Next game, I think you have to have Bradley in the attacking center mid spot again and see if him and Dempsey can get some combo going against the weak Portugal D.  Bradley is so creative you really want him leading the attack and not in a more defensive role.   Doesn't suit his game well.   

Hogsooey

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 12:57:19 pm
I also thought their aggressive play that the ref tolerated allowed us to get away with some stuff that we might not have against a less physical team. 

Yeah, all in all, I thought the ref did fine. The only call that brought out my dark side was the no yellow on the Dempsey hit. A boot that high on a header is completely reckless. Doesn't matter if the guy is off balance or didn't mean it. There were a few clear outs by Ghana that stifled out counter opportunities that I didn't like, but he also didn't give us any yellows which is absolutely huge in a tourney. So, I can't complain.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 09:55:46 am

-----Jóhannsson-------
------------Dempsey---
---------Bradley---------
Jones---------------Zusi
-------Beckerman------
Beasley----------Fabian
---Besler---Cameron---
--------Howard---------

Jay I think you have to go this formation.  I really liked how Germany played against portugal.  kept hummel up high but also had two attacking midfielders behind him that pressed.  Almost looked like 3 forwards at times.  They really got some counter attacks going and the 3 attackers were really opening up the D with their runs.  Would like to see Bradley, Dempsey, and whoever else up top be aggressive cause there will be opportunities if they are.  Portugal was awful staying with the Germans runs

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 12:57:19 pmAnd jay I definitely see what you're saying.  Knew with alti going down it took away out ability to press, just would have liked to put together a few more counter attacks with how much Ghana was pressing.

I agree with you, I was just explaining how I look at it a bit differently.

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 12:57:19 pmNext game, I think you have to have Bradley in the attacking center mid spot again and see if him and Dempsey can get some combo going against the weak Portugal D.  Bradley is so creative you really want him leading the attack and not in a more defensive role.   Doesn't suit his game well.

Bradley has been a typical holding/defensive midfielder for the vast majority of his career.  He has only transitioned into a more attacking role since transferring to Toronto earlier this year.

That's why Klinsmann is having to deploy him further and further up the field.  Bradley is a def/holding mid at heart.  Putting him further up the field helps him work against his instincts and be the more attacking player that Klinsmann wants him to be.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 01:41:42 pmJay I think you have to go this formation.  I really liked how Germany played against portugal.  kept hummel up high but also had two attacking midfielders behind him that pressed.  Almost looked like 3 forwards at times.  They really got some counter attacks going and the 3 attackers were really opening up the D with their runs.  Would like to see Bradley, Dempsey, and whoever else up top be aggressive cause there will be opportunities if they are.  Portugal was awful staying with the Germans runs

It looks like Dempsey will take up the target role next game.  Wondo could just as easily start as AroJo.  Wondo is so timely with his runs that he may be more dangerous since, as you pointed out, Portugal's backline did very poorly trying to track the German players.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I would go with Wondo this next game, and then the more physical Johannson against the big Germans.

I also would start Zusi.

This may sound crazy, but if Besler is healthy, I still would rather see him start.  That was an amazing effort and goal by Brooks, but I'm not convinced he's ready to go 90 min. at this level.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

60 Minutes of Hell

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 09:35:12 am
Dempsey (31), Beasley (32) and Beckerman (32) logged a lot of miles against Ghana. 

It's been a while since I've followed soccer very closely, but this line got me thinking... with today's technology and FIFA's money, it ought to be possible to track the cumulative distance that each player runs during a game.  And honestly, as meaningless as it might be, I think it would be a really interesting statistic.  Anyone know if something like this is tracked and reported?
What a fool I used to be.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: 60 Minutes of Hell on June 17, 2014, 03:03:56 pm
It's been a while since I've followed soccer very closely, but this line got me thinking... with today's technology and FIFA's money, it ought to be possible to track the cumulative distance that each player runs during a game.  And honestly, as meaningless as it might be, I think it would be a really interesting statistic.  Anyone know if something like this is tracked and reported?

it is.  they will normally show it on players subbing out.  i assure you the coaching staff knows the exact distance each player accumulated during the Ghana match

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 17, 2014, 02:51:49 pm
I agree with you, I was just explaining how I look at it a bit differently.

Bradley has been a typical holding/defensive midfielder for the vast majority of his career.  He has only transitioned into a more attacking role since transferring to Toronto earlier this year.

That's why Klinsmann is having to deploy him further and further up the field.  Bradley is a def/holding mid at heart.  Putting him further up the field helps him work against his instincts and be the more attacking player that Klinsmann wants him to be.

I gotchya.  I haven't followed him in MLS much so my apologies (my goal this next year is to follow it more).  Still think you need someone creative in that attacking spot and if not Bradley than who?  He didn't look comfortable defending last night.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 17, 2014, 03:08:12 pm
it is.  they will normally show it on players subbing out.  i assure you the coaching staff knows the exact distance each player accumulated during the Ghana match

They also have "heat maps" that show exactly where they were spending their time on the field during the game.

60 Minutes of Hell

What a fool I used to be.

Anyone have an update on Altidore?  I can't seem to find anything about it.

I know it was bad...but any chance he could make it back if we advance?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Notshavin on June 17, 2014, 04:37:59 pm
Anyone have an update on Altidore?  I can't seem to find anything about it.

I know it was bad...but any chance he could make it back if we advance?

Heard it was a pulled hammy.  They hope he can come back at some point in the tournament.  He'll receive treatment and be re-evaluated.

To me that says "not likely to play anymore."
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Cresthog on June 17, 2014, 07:16:00 pm
Klins has said Besler is ok to go.

hope he has someone ready to take his place during the game, those muscle strains/tightness can be very fickle

The Kig

After having some time to rethink the game strategy, the only logical conclusion that I can come to about our passive defensive play was a specific effort not to carry yellow cards into Portugal and Germany, where we will undoubtedly need to be more aggressive to have any shot at winning.   

If it wasn't that and this is all we can expect from our defense, we are going to get blown out by Germany (5-6 goals) and lose to Portugal.
Poker Porker

JayBell

Quote from: Fort Dweller on June 17, 2014, 04:59:59 pmHeard it was a pulled hammy.  They hope he can come back at some point in the tournament.  He'll receive treatment and be re-evaluated.

To me that says "not likely to play anymore."

I don't know.  I'm a tad more optimistic.  I was devastated after Jozy's injury.  Not only is he a major impact player for the US, but this was his chance to show up the douchebags in England that have ragged on him so much.

The fact that they're holding out hope gives me hope.  If it is such a significant injury that he definitely won't play in this tournament again, you have to announce it and begin the recovery process for the player, just like Portugal did with Coentrão.

Jozy will definitely be a no-go for Portugal, which is a shame because he would have been a beast against their makeshift backline.  Hopefully he will get around-the-clock treatment and maybe they can get him ready for Germany or the knockout rounds should the US advance.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Notshavin on June 18, 2014, 01:05:23 pm
I think the key is if Jozy tore it or just severely pulled it.

if it's torn he's out for a WHILE, I'm talkin well after the tourney

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 18, 2014, 01:16:16 pm
if it's torn he's out for a WHILE, I'm talkin well after the tourney

Where he grabbed it concerns me thinking he may have torn it off of whatever it is attached to up there(tendon?).

On the other hand, hamstrings pulls can be painful at the moment and keep you from walking.  But you can bet Klinsmann has assembled a team of German and American doctors and they will be working around the clock on it.

Kind of interesting to read about Dempsey, also.  He could not breathe through his nose during the game.  They said if he were to re-injure it, he could have problems the rest of his life.  They can fit him with a mask molded for him very quickly, which could protect it, but the amount of running they do without oxygen or rest...I can't imagine that not making it difficult to breathe or just plain be uncomfortable - they tried to compare to Kobe but there's no comparison.  He could take breaks and get oxygen when needed.

Klinsmann said the decision will be Dempsey's.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on June 18, 2014, 01:30:04 pmWhere he grabbed it concerns me thinking he may have torn it off of whatever it is attached to up there(tendon?).

On the other hand, hamstrings pulls can be painful at the moment and keep you from walking.  But you can bet Klinsmann has assembled a team of German and American doctors and they will be working around the clock on it.
They have only ever called it a strain.  I know a lot of times guys sit out 2-4 weeks with minor strains.  If it was torn, I'm pretty sure they would have already shut him down.  I think he has a chance to return by the knockout rounds if the US can get through without him.

Quote from: Notshavin on June 18, 2014, 01:30:04 pmKind of interesting to read about Dempsey, also.  He could not breathe through his nose during the game.  They said if he were to re-injure it, he could have problems the rest of his life.  They can fit him with a mask molded for him very quickly, which could protect it, but the amount of running they do without oxygen or rest...I can't imagine that not making it difficult to breathe or just plain be uncomfortable - they tried to compare to Kobe but there's no comparison.  He could take breaks and get oxygen when needed.

Klinsmann said the decision will be Dempsey's.
It really was annoying me the other night when so many people were saying that Ghana "deserved" the win.  Dempsey played with a broken nose for most of the match.  You can kiss my ass if you think that Ghana "deserved" to win despite everything the US had to overcome.

Quote from: JayBell on June 18, 2014, 02:31:35 pm
They have only ever called it a strain.  I know a lot of times guys sit out 2-4 weeks with minor strains.  If it was torn, I'm pretty sure they would have already shut him down.  I think he has a chance to return by the knockout rounds if the US can get through without him.

It really was annoying me the other night when so many people were saying that Ghana "deserved" the win.  Dempsey played with a broken nose for most of the match.  You can kiss my ass if you think that Ghana "deserved" to win despite everything the US had to overcome.

It's the whole American fascination with stats.  The "time of possession" thing means a lot in American Football, but means very little in soccer if you don't turn that into a goal.

However, we do need to focus on trying to keep the ball in play and build from the back after we get the ball.  Clearing the ball out of bounds or right back to them is what Lalas and Co. used to have to do.  We are much better than that.

Bradley will be a key to that and I don't think he will have 2 bad games in a row.

But I agree, no doubt we earned that win.  "Sometimes you gotta just lie there and bleed a little" definitely applies.  Dempsey was spitting blood and earned "Man of the Match" with that performance.

The Kig

Klinsmann knows what the "decision" will be from Dempsey.  He has been there and knows that giving a player with the fire Dempsey has an "option" to play is no decision at all. 

Drag me off the field if I am hurting the team with my performance.  Otherwise, get bent.

I do hope they fit him with some sort of mask because you know he will be taking some hits to the face, even if unintentional, which will hurt enough that he could lose focus at a critical goal scoring opportunity.  Portugal will have no problem with "going for the ball" and connecting with his face... they are a desperate team with their backs against a wall.
Poker Porker

Quote from: The Kig on June 18, 2014, 02:41:25 pm
Klinsmann knows what the "decision" will be from Dempsey.  He has been there and knows that giving a player with the fire Dempsey has an "option" to play is no decision at all. 

Drag me off the field if I am hurting the team with my performance.  Otherwise, get bent.

I do hope they fit him with some sort of mask because you know he will be taking some hits to the face, even if unintentional, which will hurt enough that he could lose focus at a critical goal scoring opportunity.  Portugal will have no problem with "going for the ball" and connecting with his face... they are a desperate team with their backs against a wall.

"The decision" meaning to wear or not wear a mask. 

Huckleberry Pig

Like Jay said, if it's a strain he would have already shut him down and he would have been ruled out the rest of the tourney.  It's a strain, the question is how bad.  Light and he is out a week or two.  Bad and it could be longer.  Helps having the best doctors available but even then there's only so much they can do.

U.S. Soccer
5 hrs ·

‪#‎USMNT‬ Injury update: Jozy Altidore is out with a hamstring strain; Matt Besler and Clint Dempsey are fit & available.

‪#‎USAvPOR‬ | 6/22, 6 p.m. ET | ESPN & Univision

‪#‎OneNationOneTeam‬ ‪#‎SeeYouSunday‬ ‪#‎WorldCup‬
#USMNT Injury update: Jozy Altidore is out with a hamstring strain; Matt Besler and Clint Dempsey are fit & available. #USAvPOR | 6/22, 6 p.m. ET | ESPN & Univision #OneNationOneTeam #SeeYouSunday #WorldCup