Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup Brazil(USA ALL GAMES THREAD), Group G GAMES: USA, Germany, Portugal, Ghana

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 15, 2014, 07:25:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Monday(June 16th)

Germany vs. Portugal 11:00 a.m. CT on ESPN

USA vs. Ghana 5 p.m. CT on ESPN

Huge game for us.  HUGE.  A must win game or draw at the very least.  A loss would be the beginning of us being sent home early.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

JayBell

Portugal looks dangerous in the attack.  I'm not liking it.  I'm hoping that the Germans dismantle their psyche and that the heat in Manaus wears them down too.

The Portuguese defense, however, remains as susceptible as ever.  The US should definitely score goals in that game.

cbhawg03

I started in the 3rd minute but this should be 3-0 if not for that open net miss.

GERMANY
LINE-UP:

G
1   Manuel Neuer
D
4   Benedikt Höwedes
D
5   Mats Hummels
D
17   Per Mertesacker
D
20   Jérome Boateng
M
6   Sami Khedira
M
16   Philipp Lahm
M
18   Toni Kroos
F
8   Mesut Özil
F
13   Thomas Müller
F
19   Mario Götze

PORTUGAL
LINE-UP:

G
12   Rui Patricio
D
2   Bruno Alves
D
3   Pepe
D
5   Fábio Coentrão
D
21   João Pereira
M
4   Miguel Veloso
M
8   João Moutinho
M
16   Raul Meireles
F
7   Cristiano Ronaldo
F
11   Éder
F
17   Nani

Mueller 12" (penalty)

Gooooooaaaaaaaaaalll!!!!!

#5 Hummels with the header off the corner

2-0 Germany

Eder with the header, just over - looked like it was a little high for him. 

Now Pepe is sent off with a red after he and Muller square off.

The replay shows he pushed him off and when Mueller dove, Pepe went over and head butted him. 

Pepe just really put his team in a bad position with that.

Head butting someone when everyone is watching them when they are on the ground and play has stopped....that's about the dumbest thing you can do.

Gooooooaaaaaaaaalllllll!  Mueller with a strike inside the box in stoppage time.

45"+1

3-0 Germany

End of the first half

Germany dominating.  I think this is good for us if it stays this way.  Each team getting a point would concern me.

I don't ever count a team with Ronaldo out, though.

Ronaldo with a free kick outside the box...

Hits it off the head of a defender

Goal differential can come into play, so you can't let up if you are Portugal.

Looks like Potugal's Fabio Coentrao pulled a groin, and it looks bad.

Almeida in quickly for him.

#11 Eder looks like a player that could do some damage if they can get him so more crosses

Ronaldo looking frustrated

Another score by Germany.  What a spanking.

And WITHOUT Schweinsteiger or Podolski(who just now comes in) - who'd a thought?

4-0 Germany
Mueller with the hat trick
78"

This and Brazil vs. Croatia have been the least entertaining games so far, and I would have never predicted that before the WC started.

JayBell

SO many reasons for the US to be optimistic heading to Manaus to face Portugal.

Again, I may be getting my hopes up, but 6 points from the first two matches seems very, very possible.

Quote from: JayBell on June 16, 2014, 12:49:33 pm
SO many reasons for the US to be optimistic heading to Manaus to face Portugal.

Again, I may be getting my hopes up, but 6 points from the first two matches seems very, very possible.

We HAVE to bring it today.  Like if it were a one and done game.  We cannot afford to lose.

Ghana is concerning me even a bit more than Portugal - they are in their typical World Cup melt down mode.

Germany - 4
Thomas Müller 12' PEN • Mats Hummels 32' • Thomas Müller 45' +1' 
Thomas Müller 78' •

Portugal - 0

That 2nd goal by Mueller was brilliant.  He made a defensive play in the box by anticipating/blocking the Portuguese defender's attempt to clear it, then fired it into the net.

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

I cannot say enough about Bradley.

I can see how not having his Dad as the head coach would give him a little more freedom to lead.  What an experience, though, last WC for his Dad to watch him play so well and score that goal.

He was also asked by Twellman if being "The Guy" made him nervous.  He smiled and said, "No, it excites me".  This guy has no fear and I think he expects to win.

This is the kind of player we need, at the position he plays.  Tab Ramos and Claudio Reyna paved the way for him, but he has the chance and ability to do so much more.  Confidence/attitude are easily half of the battle on this stage.

Having said that, they are predicting a deluge for this 1st game.  That could work against us because of Ghana's physical strength.  Hopefully the pitch will drain properly.

Huckleberry Pig

sorry, didn't realize ya'll were talking about the Germany/Portugal game in here...

Yes we HAVE to win today.  Portugal is weak defensively but don't let the goose-egg fool ya on their game today.  They had numerous opportunities early (more than I expected them to get out of the Germany D) and should have put one or two away.  They also gave up after the red card.

You can expect to see a different Portugal team against us and Ghana.

JayBell

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 16, 2014, 01:38:45 pmYou can expect to see a different Portugal team against us and Ghana.

But how will they be different?  Pepe may be nuts, but he is still a leader on that team.  That new centerback pairing is not going to have much chemistry.  I expect Altidore and Dempsey to give them absolute fits.  Not even counting Bradley, Jones, Fabian, Bedoya, etc.

Ronaldo is pissed off, but that can lead to him being too selfish.  Portugal showed today how they can rely too much on Ronaldo.  When he's in world beater mode, that can work, but that's not going to be successful when he's carrying a knock.

Most importantly, the Portuguese players just had to run a ton for the final 60 minutes of the match because of Pepe.  Klinsmann always wanted to have the physical advantage over the rest of the group and the next game is the jungle on, if not a bad field, then one of the lesser pitches in the tournament.  The conditions in Manaus really affected the English and Italian players there the other day.  The US could pull away late in that game.

JayBell

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2014, 01:45:26 pmWell now.   A 4 - 0 drubbing of Portugal, the Portuguese on a red card and another player likely out with an injury and playing in the heat on Manaus. 

I'm liking this a lot.  The dominoes are setting up nicely.  Now all the US has to do is step up and squash an old nemesis. 

Let's go boys!

My expectations/hopes are starting to get out of control.  Things really are lining up great.  I just hope the team takes advantage of it.

The American Outlaws watch party in Little Rock is going to be crazy today.  So excited.

JoePaul03

WCOB, 2003

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 16, 2014, 01:56:46 pm
But how will they be different?  Pepe may be nuts, but he is still a leader on that team.  That new centerback pairing is not going to have much chemistry.  I expect Altidore and Dempsey to give them absolute fits.  Not even counting Bradley, Jones, Fabian, Bedoya, etc.

Ronaldo is pissed off, but that can lead to him being too selfish.  Portugal showed today how they can rely too much on Ronaldo.  When he's in world beater mode, that can work, but that's not going to be successful when he's carrying a knock.

Most importantly, the Portuguese players just had to run a ton for the final 60 minutes of the match because of Pepe.  Klinsmann always wanted to have the physical advantage over the rest of the group and the next game is the jungle on, if not a bad field, then one of the lesser pitches in the tournament.  The conditions in Manaus really affected the English and Italian players there the other day.  The US could pull away late in that game.

Agree with you on several points.. Infact, there was one instance today when Portugal had a 3v2 and played it to Ronaldo when Almeida had a much better angle at goal and probably could have shot it first time.  They played it to Ronaldo instead and it ended up not working out.  I also thought Eder was more of a threat up front than Almeida so that injury might not hurt them.

I just think we will see a much different offense out of Portugal next game.  They had it going at the beginning offensively and were creating opportunities.  I also don't think they'll be that tired as I thought they packed it in after the red card.  Didn't see many hard runs or effort from them.  Thought they went into "let's save our energy for the next one" mode. 

Like you said, their defense was awful and will be even worse without Pepe.  US should DEFINITELY get their chances.  I just think Portugal will create some problems for us defensively as well.  I expect to see several goals in that game...

Now back to the game coming up!

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JayBell on June 16, 2014, 02:00:28 pm
My expectations/hopes are starting to get out of control.  Things really are lining up great.  I just hope the team takes advantage of it.

The American Outlaws watch party in Little Rock is going to be crazy today.  So excited.

Enjoy! 

Will be watching in Dallas, should be nuts!

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Notshavin on June 16, 2014, 02:40:56 pm
Did you see the U.S. Soccer's response?  Pretty cool.  Classy tweet by Arkansas!

ya very cool to see them respond to our tweet

JoePaul03

Huckleberry are you a Dallas AO member? I'm AO80 over in Fort Worth!
WCOB, 2003

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: JoePaul03 on June 16, 2014, 03:10:40 pm
Huckleberry are you a Dallas AO member? I'm AO80 over in Fort Worth!

No, I need to join!

love Cowtown btw, would move there in a heartbeat if it weren't such a drive to work

TX HOG

UNITED STATES
LINE-UP
POS   No   Name
G
1   Tim Howard
D
5   Matt Besler
D
7   DaMarcus Beasley
D
20   Geoff Cameron
D
23   Fabian Johnson
M
4   Michael Bradley
M
13   Jermaine Jones
M
15   Kyle Beckerman
F
8   Clint Dempsey
F
11   Alejandro Bedoya
F
17   Jozy Altidore

GHANA
LINE-UP:

G
12   Adam Kwarasey
D
4   Daniel Opare
D
19   Jonathan Mensah
D
20   Kwadwo Asamoah
D
21   John Boye
M
7   Christian Atsu
M
11   Sulley Muntari
M
17   Mohammed Rabiu
F
3   Asamoah Gyan
F
10   Andre Ayew
F
13   Jordan Ayew

I like the 3 forwards look for the U.S.

GO USA!!!!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Notshavin on June 16, 2014, 04:37:13 pm
We have over 20,000 fans attending.  WOW.

I think I heard it was second only to Brazil.  Could be mistaken though.

Bedoya dropping back again, the diamond with Bradley playing more up top.

I like it.  What we did against Nigeria.

DEMPSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!

ALL HIM - 2 MOVES, perfect shot

1"

YYYYYYEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHH

The Boar War

We have to be careful here and not hunker down...gotta keep attacking

BUT WOW WOW WOW WOW

FelixJonesorDMAC?

That was about the best start you could have, only thing better would have been a goal in less than 10 seconds

Need to get Bradley the ball, get him involved.

I would rather see him forward more, he seems to be lagging back a little.

We are giving them too much room in the midfield.

Need to try to maintain possession, instead of just clearing it out like we've been doing.

Great stop, but Howard has to do better clearing it and keep it in play.

The Boar War

I know it's early but it's going to take more than one to win this game.

Quote from: The Boar War on June 16, 2014, 05:18:29 pm
I know it's early but it's going to take more than oneti win this game.

Well, that's the reason it will take more than one:  It's early, and they have too much room to operate in the midfield and are creating too many chances around the box.

Oh crap!!!

Well.  Time for Wondo

This is horrible.  You know that's bad.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Wow, this is bad.  It was almost a curse to not bring Donovan.  Wondo