Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home Made Salsa Recipes

Started by HawgWild, June 15, 2014, 03:25:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Looks like I'm going to have a good crop of tomatoes and peppers ripening in the next few weeks. You guys got any good recipes for me to can up?

TIA

Old Tusk

Did you plant cucumbers? My friend has a killer recipe if you did
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Boarcephus

There's nothing in salsa but tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic and salt and some lemon or lime juice but I'll be darned if I can make it.  My percentages of this stuff must be all out of wack.  All I know is 10 million mexicans in northwest Arkansas can make it and I can't.  Must be missing that hispanic gene.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lord of the Styes

One 32 oz. can of whole tomatos drained
Two good pinches of cilantro
one teaspoon of minced garlic
one tsp salt
one tsp cumin
two jalapenos deseeded
mix in blender

o

rcopela

10 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, mild (like Rotel)
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes plus the juice
¼ cup diced onion
1 tsp. garlic salt, to taste
½ tsp. cumin, or more to taste
¼ tsp. sugar, to taste
½ tsp. salt
cilantro (20 leaves (no stems))

Use a food processor to dice the onion, put the onion
in a medium size bowl.
Pour the two cans of tomatoes into the food processor
and add the garlic salt, cumin, sugar and salt.  Add
cilantro and then blend all of these things together.
Blend to the consistency that your prefer.
Pour this mixture over the onions and stir.
Store in the refrigerator.  It will stay fresh for
several days

HawgWild

Thanks guys. These sound good and I'll give them a try but I was looking more for recipes using fresh tomatoes to put up in a mason jar and give them a hot water "bath" to can them.

And, "No", I'm not growing cucumbers but I'll need to buy some to make Gazpacho. Heck. I might even try tomato juice.

Keep'em coming!

PharmacistHog

I can't find a "cooked" salsa recipe that I care too much for.  When my tomatoes are in season, I make fresh salsa and even freeze some of it.  I can find any I like to can. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HawgWild

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 16, 2014, 05:55:37 pm
When my tomatoes are in season, I make fresh salsa and even freeze some of it.  I can find any I like to can.

Freeze it?!. Can't say I've ever heard of that. I'll have to consider that. Thanks.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HawgWild on June 17, 2014, 08:32:34 am
Freeze it?!. Can't say I've ever heard of that. I'll have to consider that. Thanks.

I just buy those square plastic Tupperware looking freezer containers and freeze it.  It stays good for 6 months or so.  It's usually a little more watery when it thaws but its still good. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

jacobp

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 17, 2014, 09:15:00 am
I just buy those square plastic Tupperware looking freezer containers and freeze it.  It stays good for 6 months or so.  It's usually a little more watery when it thaws but its still good. 
Vacuum pack it. Or go the cheap route (like i normally do) and just put salsa in freezer bags and suck as much of the air out as you can with a straw. Keeps it from getting watered down that way.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jacobp on June 17, 2014, 11:25:01 am
Vacuum pack it. Or go the cheap route (like i normally do) and just put salsa in freezer bags and suck as much of the air out as you can with a straw. Keeps it from getting watered down that way.

Yeah, I bought a vacuum sealer last year during deer season.  I'll try that this year. 

Lord of the Styes

The packets of Mrs. Wages salsa mix found at WalMart is pretty good and uses fresh maters. It's found by the canning supplies. Recipe included on packet.

HawgWild

TY. I give it a look/see the next time I'm in Wal-Mart.

Boarcephus

Against my better judegement I tried my hand at salsa making again and this turned out pretty darn good.  Still not the flavor I'm after but the folks here seem to like it. 

In a blender add the following:
1 large jalapeno
small palmfull Cilantro (15-20 leaves?)
1 TBS minced garlic
2 large green onions
then on top of that pour:
1 large can Hunt's Whole Plum Tomatoes
1 can Hunt's Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 can Rotel
juice from half a lime
1 TBS Salt

Pulse at a low setting for a couple seconds and eat the next day. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jacobp

If that were me, I'd up the jalapeno and cilantro, and use red onions instead of green. Maybe a whole lime too.

Also, I normally dont add the cilantro until after blending. I just chop it to the size I want and fold it in. I think it retains more flavor that way.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 19, 2014, 09:06:12 am
Against my better judegement I tried my hand at salsa making again and this turned out pretty darn good.  Still not the flavor I'm after but the folks here seem to like it. 

In a blender add the following:
1 large jalapeno
small palmfull Cilantro (15-20 leaves?)
1 TBS minced garlic
2 large green onions
then on top of that pour:
1 large can Hunt's Whole Plum Tomatoes
1 can Hunt's Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 can Rotel
juice from half a lime
1 TBS Salt

Pulse at a low setting for a couple seconds and eat the next day. 

That's close to what I do, but when my garden is going I use fresh tomatoes and throw in a small can of tomato sauce. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on June 19, 2014, 10:57:04 am
If that were me, I'd up the jalapeno and cilantro, and use red onions instead of green. Maybe a whole lime too.

Also, I normally dont add the cilantro until after blending. I just chop it to the size I want and fold it in. I think it retains more flavor that way.

I think the next time I do it I will use the red onions.   From a heat standpoint, this had a decent bite.  It was a mammoth jalapeno out of my garden and I was kind of surprised it had the heat is did.   As I said, this was pretty good but I'm still missing something I can't quite put my finger on.  Vinegar, maybe???

jacobp

Could definitely be lacking some acidity. Could get that with a little vinegar for sure. Or more lime if you don't mind it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on June 20, 2014, 10:07:14 am
Could definitely be lacking some acidity. Could get that with a little vinegar for sure. Or more lime if you don't mind it.

have you ever used vinegar in salsa?  A whole lime might be the answer instead of half.  Like I said, I struggle with good salsa.  This one is close but not there.

farhog

Simple Salsa

1 can petite diced tomatos
1 small/medium finely diced onion
2 to 3 Tblspns pickled jalepenos diced
2 garlic cloves crushed and minced
2 to 3 Tblspns red wine vinegar
dash salt to taste

No cilantro, lemon/lime juice, or other crap spices to screw it up. This recipe tastes great

hoosier

July 28, 2014, 04:01:44 pm #20 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:12:05 pm by hoosier
I think Slacker used to have a thread titled Brains recipes or something like that. Had a damn good salsa recipe in it.

Edit:  I found it on another site. Compliments to BR

Best darned Salsa you've ever put to your lips:

6 tomatoes chopped
1 Red onion chopped
2 Jalapenos chopped
2 Anaheim peppers chopped
1/2 Habenero chopped
1 whole bulb garlic peeled and minced
14 oz tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 bunch cilantro
2 juices of fresh limes - not the bottled stuff
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

combine all ingredients

jacobp

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 20, 2014, 10:26:41 am
have you ever used vinegar in salsa?  A whole lime might be the answer instead of half.  Like I said, I struggle with good salsa.  This one is close but not there.
Just saw this but I use vinegar in salsa quite a bit. I have a bottle of pepper infused vinegar I keep for stuff like that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 19, 2014, 02:50:14 pm
I think the next time I do it I will use the red onions.   From a heat standpoint, this had a decent bite.  It was a mammoth jalapeno out of my garden and I was kind of surprised it had the heat is did.   As I said, this was pretty good but I'm still missing something I can't quite put my finger on.  Vinegar, maybe???

Cumin.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 29, 2014, 08:16:27 pm
Cumin.

I use cumin and chili powder. He probably is missing a little acid of some sort, though. I run into the same dilemma. I usually start adding stuff til its either the best ever or Screwed up beyond recovery. Thats also why I never have a go to recipe. They never turn out same cuz never remember what I did.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 29, 2014, 08:23:59 pm
I use cumin and chili powder. He probably is missing a little acid of some sort, though. I run into the same dilemma. I usually start adding stuff til its either the best ever or Screwed up beyond recovery. Thats also why I never have a go to recipe. They never turn out same cuz never remember what I did.

Lol. There's some real truth in that. That's why I started a bbq journal (may have been at your suggestion actually). It makes it really easy to remember what worked and what didn't and hone the craft. I've not gotten around to doing that with recipes off the grill though.  ;D

HawgWild

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 29, 2014, 08:23:59 pm
I usually start adding stuff til its either the best ever or Screwed up beyond recovery. Thats also why I never have a go to recipe. They never turn out same cuz never remember what I did.

That seems to be my MO on everything I cook.  ;D I tell my wife that if it was something she particularly liked she better ask me what I put in it and write it down because I never make anything the same way twice. She has a small journal of her recipe favorites she's accumulated through the years.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HawgWild on July 30, 2014, 11:33:09 am
That seems to be my MO on everything I cook.  ;D I tell my wife that if it was something she particularly liked she better ask me what I put in it and write it down because I never make anything the same way twice. She has a small journal of her recipe favorites she's accumulated through the years.

I need to do that, but my wife wouldn't be any help.  She does the same thing. 

old hog

Quote from: HawgWild on July 30, 2014, 11:33:09 am
Some of the better meals I've made were just thrown together. Usually while imbiding in some spirits of some sort. Made a Chinese lemon/pepper chicken once that was to die for, but was drinking some tequila at the time and could not even repeat it. To me a good recipe is one I can repeat. Try to write them down now.

PonderinHog

"Some" is the only measuring cup I know how to use.

civilHOG

Quote from: old hog on July 31, 2014, 07:36:38 pm
Some of the better meals I've made were just thrown together. Usually while imbiding in some spirits of some sort. Made a Chinese lemon/pepper chicken once that was to die for, but was drinking some tequila at the time and could not even repeat it. To me a good recipe is one I can repeat. Try to write them down now.

Perhaps you've replicated that recipe every time since and you're just missing the excess amounts of tequlia!  8)

HawgWild

Quote from: civilHOG on August 01, 2014, 09:00:46 am

Perhaps you've replicated that recipe every time since and you're just missing the excess amounts of tequlia!  8)

You know, you may be on to something there!  ;D

go hogues

This is a great salsa recipe for anytime but it seems to taste extra good while watching a  football game.
Enjoy!

1 can cheap tomatoes or 3 ripe tomatoes w/o skins
2 green onions, minced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced( 1/2 Tbs from jar)
1 Tbs dried parsley
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs lime juice
crushed red pepper to taste (I use quite a bit, probably 1 to 2 tablespoons)
Blend everything together in food processor!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogfan2525

These are all great ideas. Love me some salsa and will be trying them out this season!  :razorback:

cosmodrum

Fire roast your maters and peppers on the grill and grill a couple ears of corn.

Put them under wrap to steam and make the skin easy to peel. After 10 minutes, peel them, dice them and put in a bowl with the corn (cut off the cob, of course) and diced red onion, with lime juice, salt, chopped cilantro and a little bit of a chopped and de-seeded chipotle pepper to taste.

Go away, batin'

Abominable Hillbilly

A simple one I do...

One large can whole tomatoes (drained)
One jalapeno pepper
1/4 small onion
1 T garlic salt
1 T garlic powder
1 T cilantro
1 T Apple cider vinegar
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

DeltaBoy

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 26, 2014, 12:47:44 pm
Fire roast your maters and peppers on the grill and grill a couple ears of corn.

Put them under wrap to steam and make the skin easy to peel. After 10 minutes, peel them, dice them and put in a bowl with the corn (cut off the cob, of course) and diced red onion, with lime juice, salt, chopped cilantro and a little bit of a chopped and de-seeded chipotle pepper to taste.

We do that for a base for our Mexican Chicken Soup.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

old hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 11, 2014, 09:16:25 am
We do that for a base for our Mexican Chicken Soup.
Hey Delta, you may have posted it before, but how bout the recipe for the soup? Would appreciate it.

Biggus Piggus

2-3 lbs fresh tomatoes - I use a blend of plum tomatoes and any other kind of fully ripe tomatoes
3-5 fully ripened red jalapenos
4 cloves garlic
1 large onion

Move oven racks to middle levels. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Core the tomatoes and slice in half. Peel and halve onion. Remove stems from peppers and slice in half - don't lose any of the pulp or seeds. Arrange all on large cookie sheets or other shallow pans. Spray everything thoroughly with cooking oil. Roast at least 45 minutes.

Place half of ingredients in blender - best to put in peppers and onions first. Squeeze garlic out of its skin, if you left it unpeeled for roasting. Puree to desired consistency. Pour into large bowl and finish second batch.

To finish this salsa, I stir in at least 2T kosher salt, 1t black pepper, 1t cumin, 1t hot paprika, and chopped fresh cilantro to taste. You might prefer to add cilantro after the salsa has cooled in the refrigerator. When you have a taste of the final product, you'll slap your mother, it's so good.
[CENSORED]!