Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Forgotten Razorbacks

Started by bruisemeister, June 15, 2014, 05:01:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 19, 2014, 08:59:12 pm
Downtown Tony Brown

I knew Tony in college at the UA. Great guy! Last time I checked he was an assistant coach with the Mavs.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ray Piggers

Darrell Hawkins, Martin Terry, Robert Sheppard, Chris Walker, Tarik Wallace, Landis Williams (super athletic) and Darian Townes.

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Notshavin on June 22, 2014, 04:36:56 am
I'll give you Wilson.  I remember him doing a lot more of the hard work inside and Robinson hanging out at the 3-point line.

Robinson couldn't make it in the NBA and seemed to stay one year at each club he went to overseas.  His coach in Greece said he was the biggest underachiever he'd ever coached.

If you remember the history of "big men" under that coaching staff, the tendency was that, in general, the big guys did not improve while on this campus. Big Nasty and Big O had great post skills when they got here, and flourished. Wilson and Robinson were raw, but never got any better. The only post player in that era who markedly improved while here was Nick Davis.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Cresthog on June 16, 2014, 10:30:45 am
Modica without a doubt.

Anyone remember that Miss St game when he hit 6-8 threes in a 2 minutes span or whatever it was?

That was amazing.

If I remember right, Modica had played "roll the ball out on the floor" basketball in high school and struggled first season with a more organized version.  May be wrong but that's what I'm remembering.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

FORTVEGAS

Kareem Reid. One of the most entertaining hogs I have ever seen.

tophawg19

Warren Linn hit some big shots for us . Divor RIMOC  [ sp] Pat Bradley , Alex the mad bomber Dilliard . We have had some gifted 3 point shooters . Arlyn Bowers hustled harder than any other player i remember . R Wallace always got his monies worth when he fouled someone . they were fouled clear into the next week.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Stephan Moore - played for Sutton and Nolan, was team captain his senior year.  Great player and a class act.  Looks like he is doing well:

http://stephanmoore.net/stephan-moore-bio.html

I knew some kids from his hometown Cushing, OK, who knew Stephan and said he was a great guy.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

SPAL

The truck, The cannon, and both boots.

earshot

Sonny Weems his senior year was unstoppable. Hit the three if left open and his dunking ability is legendary.

Another vote for Daryl Tomahawk Hawkins.

pignutz

How about the blonde haired Michael Young, or the other long distance shooter John Sniveley.

bruisemeister

bruisemeister

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on June 26, 2014, 05:22:36 pm
Kareem Reid. One of the most entertaining hogs I have ever seen.

I don't know why he gets little respect. I would love to have a Kareem Reid right now.

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 29, 2014, 01:33:40 am
I don't know why he gets little respect. I would love to have a Kareem Reid right now.

Kareem's stats are very impressive.  He just didn't have much help around him.
Maybe the most underrated Razorback PG of all time.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

PonderinHog

Quote from: Notshavin on June 29, 2014, 02:04:37 am
Kareem's stats are very impressive.  He just didn't have much help around him.
Maybe the most underrated Razorback PG of all time.
He was fun to watch.  Remember when he fouled Robert "Tractor" Traylor's elbow with his face ???

roundball

Nicky Davis, the man was a magnet for the ball off the rim.

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Paul

Quote from: ArkansasI on June 15, 2014, 08:23:14 am
I always thought Huery was a troubled soul. The guy had amazing skills, but seemed to lack the on-court aggression necessary to be a college star. It was as if he somehow bought into the marketing of the second generation triplets - and accepted a lesser role.

That was a mistake. I thought he was far more gifted than that. At least on par with those guys. Perhaps a better explanation is he preferred partying.

Clint McDaniel remains one of my favorite Hogs. Being a starter on our national championship team may prevent him from being "forgotten", but the popularity of other guys on that team keep him from being mentioned as often.

Lenzie Howell was great.

Brandon Dean could have been better with a better supporting cast.

Loved Roosevelt Wallace's game. Thought he should have played more.

Keith Wilson deserves more attention.

I think Darnell Robinson was a very good player that never allowed his game to mature...  The guy was one af the first players off our bench as a freshman on a national championship team.

We didn't need him to be great when he got to Fayetteville, and he left right when it was time for him to take over the middle. Unless he had grade issues, he left at a strange time. As crazy as this may sound, Darnell's exit was the beginning of a huge fall in Razorback basketball.

Derek Hood and Kareem Reid didn't have the offensive skills that our previous McDonal's All-Americans had. We never looked "right" after our big guys left campus.

Good topic.
With discipline & teaching, Tank could have been a dominant center in college & had a good if not great NBA career.  No centers ever got better under Nolan.  Disagree?

thebignasty

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Paul on June 29, 2014, 11:27:46 am
With discipline & teaching, Tank could have been a dominant center in college & had a good if not great NBA career.  No centers ever got better under Nolan.  discipline an

Regardless of your off topic swipe at Nolan, he is Arkansas only Hall of Fame basketball coach and the only coach to make it to the NCAA championship game (consecutive years)  and won an outright title.  This, in spite of all lack of "discipline and teaching" as you claim. 
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Paul

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 29, 2014, 12:47:12 pm
Regardless of your off topic swipe at Nolan, he is Arkansas only Hall of Fame basketball coach and the only coach to make it to the NCAA championship game (consecutive years)  and won an outright title.  This, in spite of all lack of "discipline and teaching" as you claim.
Do u disagree that he didn't develop centers?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Paul on June 29, 2014, 07:02:15 pm
Do u disagree that he didn't develop centers?

start a thread about it if you want.  This thread is about best forgotten Razorbacks.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TomBigBeeHog

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Killean on June 19, 2014, 09:39:36 pm
Jannero Pargo.

I feel like nobody even remembers he was a razorback.

I remember him very well. He was one of my favorites. I still remember that game he had against Florida. 'Twas epic

Paul

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 29, 2014, 07:06:02 pm
start a thread about it if you want.  This thread is about best forgotten Razorbacks.
your refusal to answer is telling

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Paul on June 30, 2014, 01:06:29 pm
  your refusal to answer is telling

Stick to the topic of the thread. If you don't like the topic, then start a new thread.

Hogimus Prime

Tank Robinson is best forgotten.  If he would've played up to just a little of his potential and not been overweight, which led to his foot injuries, the Hogs would've gone back to back and probably Final Four if he would've stayed his Jr. year.  Tank's lack of development is Tank's fault.  He all to tools the be an All-Star in the NBA.

Quote from: Kevin on June 29, 2014, 07:08:40 pm
Allie freeman

Allie is a very underrated Razorback and was probably the best pure PG we had under Eddie Sutton.

Paul

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 30, 2014, 03:42:28 pm
Stick to the topic of the thread. If you don't like the topic, then start a new thread.
Thread Nazi

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TomBigBeeHog

bruisemeister

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 17, 2014, 09:07:45 am
My father describes him as "Jordan-like" talent. Which isn't that far out there because guys like Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, and others have had Jordan-like talent. Its Jordan's competitiveness, leadership, and relentless will-to-win that sets him apart, especially from Lebron.

Not quite Jordan. Probably more of a Michael Qualls. Transferred from Tennessee after he was kicked off that team. Had a decent season in 1985. I think he was the team's 3rd leading scorer behind Joe Kleine and Charles Balentine.  Kind of a slasher at forward. Bulked up some the next season but had some off court problems that limited his playing time. Ended up getting fatally shot at a club in his mid 20's. Had a lot of potential but had his demons.

bruisemeister

Quote from: Notshavin on June 30, 2014, 07:04:27 pm
Allie is a very underrated Razorback and was probably the best pure PG we had under Eddie Sutton.
He fit that mode as a overrated prep player but underrated college player. I remember the local news doing pieces on him when he was in Jr. High. They had him listed as 6'2 then.  He had a good high school career at Hall. However, he was somehow listed at 5'11 then. He started as a freshman under Sutton at point guard. In fact he started off and on his whole career. He wasn't much of a scorer but he hustled and played good defense. He was kind of a Fred Gulley player.

bruisemeister

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on June 30, 2014, 06:52:21 pm
Tank Robinson is best forgotten.  If he would've played up to just a little of his potential and not been overweight, which led to his foot injuries, the Hogs would've gone back to back and probably Final Four if he would've stayed his Jr. year.  Tank's lack of development is Tank's fault.  He all to tools the be an All-Star in the NBA.
I remember he dominated Rasheed Wallace in the McDonalds All American game. In fact, he started the Regional Final against Michigan. He started coming into his own near the end of his Junior year and led 4 Freshman starters into the Sweet 16. He then bolted to the NBA draft. He was drafted but ended up overseas. I still think he would have ended up a first rounder had he stayed another year.

bruisemeister

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 29, 2014, 07:12:53 pm
Chris Brunt
Good one. Played one season under Nolan. I remember him having a stellar game off the bench when the Hogs beat SWC champ SMU in Dallas.

bruisemeister

Quote from: RyeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 11:05:22 am
I remember him very well. He was one of my favorites. I still remember that game he had against Florida. 'Twas epic
Yep. Had a good NBA career as well.

bruisemeister

Quote from: roundball on June 29, 2014, 08:38:54 am
Nicky Davis, the man was a magnet for the ball off the rim.
Led the SEC in rebounding his senior year. Made some All SEC teams that year.

bruisemeister

I remember another one. Larry Marks. He was the starting power foward for Nolan's first SWC champ. However, he lost that position the following year when Lenzie Howell took over. He was the leading scorer at the first Razorback game that I saw live(I have only seen 4). It was a victory over South Alabama in Pine Bluff.

jseinfeld50

July 01, 2014, 05:28:24 am #88 Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:37:09 am by jseinfeld50
Mike Bucktrop - JC transfer PG late 70's

Farrestor

Jannerro Pargo one of the best razorbacks ever in top 10 but played on one of the worst teams ever.

Derek hood- What I would give to have a Derek hood on our team now. Mr. Rebound

Glendon Alexander

King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Paul on June 29, 2014, 11:27:46 am
With discipline & teaching, Tank could have been a dominant center in college & had a good if not great NBA career.  No centers ever got better under Nolan.  Disagree?
Sorry for failing to reply sooner... I haven't been back to this topic for a while.

I disagree with your assessment.  We (me included) often criticize some of Nolan's teams for failing to block out or properly post up... a lack of position basketball if you will.  However, there have been a number of centers that have developed quite well in Nolan's system.

Oliver Miller developed quite a game for the NBA under Nolan's tutelage.  I don't know if Big O qualifies for this thread (best forgotten), but he was every bit as important to the success of the teams that he played on as any other player on those teams - including Day and Mayberry.

Further to Nolan's credit - until Tank left, Nolan always seemed to have a couple of centers on his teams that could play.  Those guys were critical to our success... and their absences have been a big reason (no pun intended) why the Hogs have struggled for 20 years.

Credit, Morris, Miller, Stewart, Robinson, Wilson... a few more of these players would have helped stop the bleeding in recent years.  It's funny how well 'tweeners performed for Nolan - Lenzie Howell and Corliss Williamson.  These guys were great basketball players, but Nolan's system was great at creating match-up problems.

Despite my criticisms, the great players still managed to get their rebounds, garbage put-backs, etc.  We could use more of these guys.

maxhog5

Keith Peterson and Leroy Sutton.  Keith Peterson was a tough rebounder at 6'6" and the best I've ever seen guarding the inbounder and trapping out of a full court press.  Leroy Sutton always got the top scorer on the opposing team and took him out the game.  Micheal Young of Houston fame still checks under his bed and in his closet at night to make sure he isn't still hounding him. 

Paul

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 01, 2014, 08:33:03 am
Sorry for failing to reply sooner... I haven't been back to this topic for a while.

I disagree with your assessment.  We (me included) often criticize some of Nolan's teams for failing to block out or properly post up... a lack of position basketball if you will.  However, there have been a number of centers that have developed quite well in Nolan's system.

Oliver Miller developed quite a game for the NBA under Nolan's tutelage.  I don't know if Big O qualifies for this thread (best forgotten), but he was every bit as important to the success of the teams that he played on as any other player on those teams - including Day and Mayberry.

Further to Nolan's credit - until Tank left, Nolan always seemed to have a couple of centers on his teams that could play.  Those guys were critical to our success... and their absences have been a big reason (no pun intended) why the Hogs have struggled for 20 years.

Credit, Morris, Miller, Stewart, Robinson, Wilson... a few more of these players would have helped stop the bleeding in recent years.  It's funny how well 'tweeners performed for Nolan - Lenzie Howell and Corliss Williamson.  These guys were great basketball players, but Nolan's system was great at creating match-up problems.

Despite my criticisms, the great players still managed to get their rebounds, garbage put-backs, etc.  We could use more of these guys.
My question was if Nolan developed centers.  I agree that he recruited centers & that they were integral parts of his best teams but assert that they didnt develop during their time here. None consistently established low post position on offense nor effectively boxed out on defense.  Even the Big O always wanted the lob while facing the basket rather than develop a back to the basket game. None had dependable low post moves like Corliss. Contrast that with the centers under Sutton like Klein & even an out of position Hastings.     

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Paul on July 02, 2014, 01:11:18 pm
  My question was if Nolan developed centers.  I agree that he recruited centers & that they were integral parts of his best teams but assert that they didnt develop during their time here. None consistently established low post position on offense nor effectively boxed out on defense.  Even the Big O always wanted the lob while facing the basket rather than develop a back to the basket game. None had dependable low post moves like Corliss. Contrast that with the centers under Sutton like Klein & even an out of position Hastings.     

And yet, with all of that teaching ability, Sutton never had a team play for a national championship, much less win one. Guess that means Sutton doesn't know how to develop championship teams.

ArkansasI

Well, both got one center to the NBA from their time at Arkansas.  Eddie got Joe there and Nolan got Oliver there.  Both coached Andrew Lang.  So, perhaps it's a draw?

You're right about Joe being a solid post up guy for Eddie.  But I don't think Joe would have gotten much done if he were extended beyone the freethrow line.  Hastings moved around quite a bit, but I thought he played fairly soft - loved the baseline jumper, but agree that he posted up some.

I don't recall any other really good centers that played for Eddie at Arkansas.  Are you basing your argument primarily on Joe's career?  Andrew Lang was a project guy.  My recollection of Eddie's teams were that they were heavy on guards, too.

We agree that the two men coached differently.  It's hard for me to say that Nolan didn't develop centers.  Are Mario Credit, Butch Morris, Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson the "undeveloped" guys that you are pushing against Nolan?  I suppose that I can agree that those guys didn't appear to get a lot better over time.  But they sure won a lot of games.

I think that it can get pretty easy to criticise most coaches for these shortcomings.  Wooden, Smith, Williams, Coach K, and Donavan appear to be great at developing big men.  But they seem to get all the best ones out of high school, too.

TomBigBeeHog

My question was if Eddie developed champions. I agree that he recruited talented players & that they were integral parts of his best teams but assert that he never developed champions out of any of them. None ever developed an effective championship chemistry offensively or defensively. Even with the triplets he always wanted to walk it up the court rather than develop an attacking offensive game. He never developed champions from the triplets. contrast that with champions under Nolan like Beck, Thurman, Corliss & even a mildly talented Biley.

thirrdegreetusker

there are 10-12 more that should be mentioned in this thread, but I forgot them........

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 02, 2014, 02:54:51 pm

I don't recall any other really good centers that played for Eddie at Arkansas. 

Saulsberry
Stround
Schall

TomBigBeeHog

Houston Dale Nutt? Shot 50% from the field and was perfect from the charity stripe in his only season before transferring to Okie State.  :-\

azhog10

IMO Delph was arguably one of the top 3 basketball players to play at the Univ. of Arkansas. I always felt he was the best of that group with Brewer and Moncrief. Had he decided not to become a missionary I believe he would have had a great NBA career.