Best Forgotten Razorbacks

Started by bruisemeister, June 15, 2014, 05:01:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

You mention nutt as forgotten?!?!

Clearly, you don't know hogville. Lol

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 03, 2014, 11:03:14 am
Houston Dale Nutt? Shot 50% from the field and was perfect from the charity stripe in his only season before transferring to Okie State.  :-\

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 03, 2014, 11:46:21 am
You mention nutt as forgotten?!?!

Clearly, you don't know hogville. Lol

It was a joke. His contributions in basketball were negligible. In relation to basketball, he is a Razorback who actually is best forgotten.

Year     GP  FG-FGA   Pct  FT-FTA   Pct   REB  Avg  PF FO  Pts  Avg
1976-77   9   2-4    .500   2-2   1.000    3   0.3   1  0    6  0.7
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total     9   2-4    .500   2-2   1.000    3   0.3   1  0    6  0.7

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 02, 2014, 02:54:51 pm
Well, both got one center to the NBA from their time at Arkansas.  Eddie got Joe there and Nolan got Oliver there.  Both coached Andrew Lang.  So, perhaps it's a draw?

You're right about Joe being a solid post up guy for Eddie.  But I don't think Joe would have gotten much done if he were extended beyone the freethrow line.  Hastings moved around quite a bit, but I thought he played fairly soft - loved the baseline jumper, but agree that he posted up some.

I don't recall any other really good centers that played for Eddie at Arkansas.  Are you basing your argument primarily on Joe's career?  Andrew Lang was a project guy.  My recollection of Eddie's teams were that they were heavy on guards, too.

We agree that the two men coached differently.  It's hard for me to say that Nolan didn't develop centers.  Are Mario Credit, Butch Morris, Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson the "undeveloped" guys that you are pushing against Nolan?  I suppose that I can agree that those guys didn't appear to get a lot better over time.  But they sure won a lot of games.

I think that it can get pretty easy to criticise most coaches for these shortcomings.  Wooden, Smith, Williams, Coach K, and Donavan appear to be great at developing big men.  But they seem to get all the best ones out of high school, too.

Scott Hastings?  Believe he has a ring
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

intelligence

July 04, 2014, 10:30:04 pm #103 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:27:04 pm by intelligence
Olu famutimi

dam autocorrect

Dr. Starcs

So good, you forgot his actual name.

Paul

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 02, 2014, 02:54:51 pm
Well, both got one center to the NBA from their time at Arkansas.  Eddie got Joe there and Nolan got Oliver there.  Both coached Andrew Lang.  So, perhaps it's a draw?

You're right about Joe being a solid post up guy for Eddie.  But I don't think Joe would have gotten much done if he were extended beyone the freethrow line.  Hastings moved around quite a bit, but I thought he played fairly soft - loved the baseline jumper, but agree that he posted up some.

I don't recall any other really good centers that played for Eddie at Arkansas.  Are you basing your argument primarily on Joe's career?  Andrew Lang was a project guy.  My recollection of Eddie's teams were that they were heavy on guards, too.

We agree that the two men coached differently.  It's hard for me to say that Nolan didn't develop centers.  Are Mario Credit, Butch Morris, Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson the "undeveloped" guys that you are pushing against Nolan?  I suppose that I can agree that those guys didn't appear to get a lot better over time.  But they sure won a lot of games.

I think that it can get pretty easy to criticise most coaches for these shortcomings.  Wooden, Smith, Williams, Coach K, and Donavan appear to be great at developing big men.  But they seem to get all the best ones out of high school, too.
Fair enough. Nolan won us our only natty. He deserves credit. 

intelligence

Dr. Starcs

Music City Razorback

Cannon Whitby.  If he played in the 90's instead of the 80's, his three point stats may have been much higher.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: azhog10 on July 03, 2014, 11:07:12 am
IMO Delph was arguably one of the top 3 basketball players to play at the Univ. of Arkansas. I always felt he was the best of that group with Brewer and Moncrief. Had he decided not to become a missionary I believe he would have had a great NBA career.

Marvin was a very very good collegian, and a perfect complement to Sid and Ron, but he was never the "on-ball" defender that either of them were. Both of them were NBA first-rounders.

From Wiki:
Following his college career, Delph was drafted twice, first in the 3rd round of the 1978 NBA draft by the Buffalo Braves and then in the 6th round of the 1979 NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. Unlike his fellow Triplets, Delph never played in the NBA, despite several attempts. He continued playing amateur basketball with the Athletes in Action team, a religiously-oriented team.

Foshodo

Nicky Davis was a favorite... loved seeing him and Hood lead the conference in Rebounding 3 years when "Nolan teams dont rebound"...

another recent one is Chris Jefferies... got homesick after a solid freshman season... transferred out to Fresno and became a late 1st round draft pick... he might not have been able to flourish on a team with Pargo/Dean/JJ but he would have made us much better...he put up about 16/6 at Fresno... could have used that.

Foshodo

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Foshodo on July 07, 2014, 03:53:03 pm
Nicky Davis was a favorite... loved seeing him and Hood lead the conference in Rebounding 3 years when "Nolan teams dont rebound"...

another recent one is Chris Jefferies... got homesick after a solid freshman season... transferred out to Fresno and became a late 1st round draft pick... he might not have been able to flourish on a team with Pargo/Dean/JJ but he would have made us much better...he put up about 16/6 at Fresno... could have used that.

IMO Jefferies and JJ would've been an awesome duo.

WayneHawg

fullfan

Tim Scott!  Long range bomber. :razorback:

HogInHotSprings

Charles Thomas....best charge taker in the history of Arkansas basketball

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogInHotSprings on July 15, 2014, 09:37:42 pm
Charles Thomas....best charge taker in the history of Arkansas basketball
Did you ever see Scotty Hastings play?

Hog_Fink

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 15, 2014, 10:54:42 pm

Coach Sutton used to give out an award for taking charges.

Hastings is one of the funniest guys and biggest practical jokers to ever wear a Hog uniform.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pigbreath

Craig Tyson was a beast, for a minute! The guy could absolutely jump out of the gym! Back in the 90's, there was a little 3 on 3 tournament in Lincoln and he showed up. He put on a dunking display that had everyone fearing for the backboards! Just couldn't keep his nose clean!  ;)
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 07, 2014, 06:49:16 pm
IMO Jefferies and JJ would've been an awesome duo.

Would we have had Jefferies, Johnson, Sullinger, and Iguodala?

jseinfeld50

Quote from: pigbreath on July 18, 2014, 11:24:33 am
Craig Tyson was a beast, for a minute! The guy could absolutely jump out of the gym! Back in the 90's, there was a little 3 on 3 tournament in Lincoln and he showed up. He put on a dunking display that had everyone fearing for the backboards! Just couldn't keep his nose clean!  ;)

thanks, I don't remember him but I have heard references to him. Found a few articles on him and here is one.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-05-07/sports/1992128023_1_tyson-southern-idaho-junior-college

Southern's Tyson moving on from JuCo to join Arkansas

May 07, 1992|By Sam Davis | Sam Davis,Staff Writer

Southern Idaho Junior College sophomore Craig Tyson, The Baltimore Sun's 1989 basketball player of the year, signed a national letter of intent with Arkansas yesterday, his junior college coach said. He will join Dunbar point guard Michael Lloyd, who also has signed with the Razorbacks.

Tyson, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who attended Southern High, was selected as a junior college All-American last season after teaming with Southern graduates David Cason and Adam Johnson to lead the Golden Eagles to a 34-4 record and a third-place finish in the national junior college tournament. Tyson averaged 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds in 26 minutes per game.

"Arkansas is getting a player who will run, jump and play hard," said Southern Idaho coach Fred Trenkle. "I think he's capable of being a Division I student, and I know he can be a Division I player."

Tyson still must complete 11 hours this summer to get his degree from Southern Idaho, which would give him two years of eligibility at Arkansas. Without the degree, Tyson would have to sit out one season at Arkansas and then would have one season of eligibility remaining.

Arkansas would be Tyson's sixth school since leaving Southern. He signed with North Carolina State, but attended Community College of Baltimore for one semester before spending a semester at N.C. State. He also spent a semester at Hagerstown Junior College and a summer session at Alvin (Texas) College before going to Southern Idaho. Before Southern Idaho, Tyson had played only during one semester at Hagerstown.

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

1highhog

Shaw was a good center before Hastings.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 15, 2014, 10:54:42 pm

I love Hastings, but IMO Corey Beck was better at taking a charge than he or Thomas.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2014, 12:26:05 pm
Would we have had Jefferies, Johnson, Sullinger, and Iguodala?

Maybe JJ, Sullinger and AI if JJ would've stayed through his Sr year

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on July 18, 2014, 01:48:33 pm
thanks, I don't remember him but I have heard references to him. Found a few articles on him and here is one.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-05-07/sports/1992128023_1_tyson-southern-idaho-junior-college

Southern's Tyson moving on from JuCo to join Arkansas

May 07, 1992|By Sam Davis | Sam Davis,Staff Writer

Southern Idaho Junior College sophomore Craig Tyson, The Baltimore Sun's 1989 basketball player of the year, signed a national letter of intent with Arkansas yesterday, his junior college coach said. He will join Dunbar point guard Michael Lloyd, who also has signed with the Razorbacks.

Tyson, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who attended Southern High, was selected as a junior college All-American last season after teaming with Southern graduates David Cason and Adam Johnson to lead the Golden Eagles to a 34-4 record and a third-place finish in the national junior college tournament. Tyson averaged 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds in 26 minutes per game.

"Arkansas is getting a player who will run, jump and play hard," said Southern Idaho coach Fred Trenkle. "I think he's capable of being a Division I student, and I know he can be a Division I player."

Tyson still must complete 11 hours this summer to get his degree from Southern Idaho, which would give him two years of eligibility at Arkansas. Without the degree, Tyson would have to sit out one season at Arkansas and then would have one season of eligibility remaining.

Arkansas would be Tyson's sixth school since leaving Southern. He signed with North Carolina State, but attended Community College of Baltimore for one semester before spending a semester at N.C. State. He also spent a semester at Hagerstown Junior College and a summer session at Alvin (Texas) College before going to Southern Idaho. Before Southern Idaho, Tyson had played only during one semester at Hagerstown.

What could've been with Tyson and Lloyd

Dark Helmet Hog

US Reed - the shot I will never forget.
Al Dillard - the game against Delaware St was incredible.

RazorbackNation

Michael Washington. He led the Hogs to wins over Texas and Oklahoma in 08 who were both ranked in the top 10 at the time, not to mention he basically dominated Blake Griffin during the Oklahoma game. The injuries he suffered in 09 never really allowed him to reach his full potential IMO.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: razorbacker3 on June 17, 2014, 07:09:25 am
Possibly the most naturally talented player we ever had. What he could have done with his head screwed on right. What a waste. So sad.

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 17, 2014, 09:07:45 am
My father describes him as "Jordan-like" talent. Which isn't that far out there because guys like Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, and others have had Jordan-like talent. Its Jordan's competitiveness, leadership, and relentless will-to-win that sets him apart, especially from Lebron.

Yep.

I looked for this one play on youtube and cannot find it - this is one of the BEST but forgotten plays EVER in basketball for the Hogs.

We were playing Texas when we were still in the SWC.  Mills has the ball and drives past the free throw line.  Then suddenly he rises in the lane over 3 Longhorns and emphatically dunks the ball, and with his right hand's index finger proceeds to point from left to right at each Texas player, while still in the air, hanging on the rim with his left hand.

Needless to say, he got a technical foul and I believe he was benched the rest of the game. 

He was one of the first to wear 2 sweatbands on his forearms, probably because when he dunked, that's the part of his arm that would hit the rim.

Man he was fun to watch.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hogeration

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on June 15, 2014, 10:47:38 pm
William Mills!!!
To me he will always be the "what if" player.  He was amazing and fun to watch.  I was just a kid but remember thinking he was the best I had ever seen.  The guy could fly.  If only he could have kept it together.

The_Iceman

Delvon Johnson: 9.6 ppg, 7.2 rebs, 2.9 blks in 2011.

Kevin

william mills the best redshirt year player ever
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22