World Cup Brazil, GROUP D GAMES: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 14, 2014, 11:40:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Games today(Saturday Jun 14):

Uruguay vs. Costa Rica  2 p.m. CST on ABC

England vs. Italy 5 p.m. CST on ESPN

- Long-time Italian GK Buffon ruled out with ankle injury
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

COSTA RICA
LINE-UP:

G
1   Keylor Navas
D
3   Giancarlo González
D
4   Michael Umaña
D
6   Óscar Duarte
D
15   Júnior Díaz
D
16   Cristian Gamboa
M
5   Celso Borges
M
7   Christian Bolaños
M
17   Yeltsin Tejeda
F
9   Joel Campbell
F
10   Bryan Ruiz

URUGUAY
LINE-UP:

G
1   Fernando Muslera
D
2   Diego Lugano
D
3   Diego Godín
D
16   Maxi Pereira
D
22   Martín Cáceres
M
5   Walter Gargano
M
7   Cristian Rodríguez
M
11   Christian Stuani
M
17   Egidio Arévalo Ríos
F
10   Diego Forlán
F
21   Edinson Cavani

Costa Rica is trying to play spoiler here, they will probably drop back and then try to counter-attack.

Uruguay's superstar Suarez not in the starting line-up.

An interesting note is that these teams both speak Spanish, so the level of trash-talking and quantity of it will go way up, compared to other games we've seen so far.  I know that most players probably speak a little English, and that's how they communicate on the field with the other team and the refs.

I won't be surprised, however if in this game tempers flare more, and there is more arguing between players.

Just another element of the World Cup that you don't get in most other sports' championships.

Costa Rica looks well organized so far, they are not giving Uruguay space and are starting to counter-attack.

The Ticos earning their first corner

Foul called on #6 Duarte - Uruguay's captain Diego Lugano with a huge flop in the box

Minute 11"

Costa Rica looking really loose in warm-ups, where they were playing a juggling game - They were in a circle and whoever let the ball touch the ground or kicked it too far would be surrounded and each player would pop him on the head.

They don't look uptight or nervous at all, in spite of being a huge underdog.  So far they are containing Uruguay which is what you want if you are them in this first game.  A tie(1 point) would be like a win.

Uruguay just scored, but player was clearly offside, good job by Ticos keeping their back line together to get the call - goal disallowed.

Penalty awarded to Uruguay...during a cross, Costa Rican defender his arms wrapped around the captain Lugano

Cavini behind the ball...Gooooaaaaalllll!!!!!!  Hard, low to the right.

#21 Cavini
23"

Costa Rica 0
Uruguay 1

#9 Campbell with a shot just wide right, now he earns a free kick outside the top of the box - he's been the most active attacker for the Ticos

Ball deflected, goes for a corner, cross rejected by Uruguay - CR earns another corner...can't take advantage

32" gone by

Ticos' #9 Campbell plays for Arsenal and is showing why today.

Tico keeper Navas with a great leaping save, knocking it over the crossbar, just before the end of the 1st half

Uruguay 1
Costa Rica 0

Goooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!

Costa Rica, Joel Campbell!!!!!  He ties it up in the 53"

Great cross, he settles it, sends a rocket into where the keeper has no chance

AND ANOTHER!!!! Same type play, cross on set piece but this time #6 Duarte gets there and heads it into the back of the net

Costa Rica 2
Uruguay 1

yraciv

Notshavin - What are your ties to Costa Rica?  And remind me of your soccer background?  You and Jay bring a lot of good information here, and as a casual soccer fan I appreciate it.

Quote from: yraciv on June 14, 2014, 03:27:37 pm
Notshavin - What are your ties to Costa Rica?  And remind me of your soccer background?  You and Jay bring a lot of good information here, and as a casual soccer fan I appreciate it.

TICOS LEAD!!! What a GREAT World Cup so far...

I grew up as a missionaries' kid from the time I was 3 until my Sr. year - We were in El Salvador until I was 10, then Honduras.  I played H.S. in Honduras and started for the JV team when I was in the 7th grade - then played through H.S.  Growing up Soccer and music were pretty much all I did.  We would come back every 4 years for a year to Arkansas. 

In my early 20s I moved to Costa Rica to work with schools we have there, and I ended up playing for a 3rd division team on weekends while I was there.  Moved back to the U.S. when I was 26.

I promise you the whole Costa Rican country is going nuts right now, this is the greatest showing they've ever had in the WC.  They will all be out in the streets if this result sticks....or even if Uruguay just ties it up.

Hard foul by Caceres, gets a yellow

These are going to be the longest 8 minutes plus stoppage time in the history of the Costa Rican nation

Costa Rica's Urena with the dagger...wow

The little Ticos officially lead the "Group of Champions"....unbelievable

3-1 Ticos

Red card, well-deserved IMO - Pereira hacked him out of frustration.

This is huge, Pereira will miss the next game.

Historic result for the Ticos, this whole team will now be legends in their country.

Uruguay 1
Edinson Cavani 24' PEN •

Costa Rica 3
Joel Campbell 54' • Óscar Duarte 57' • Marco Ureña 84'

Gotta give credit to CR, after going down 1, after tying it and after taking the lead, they didn't try to hunker down in a "prevent" and continued attacking until they put Uruguay away.

One of the greatest upsets ever

yraciv

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 04:15:28 pm
As an aside, the Costa Rica win makes a bit of a statement for the improving play in CONCACAF.  Especially on top of Mexico's opening round win too...

Agreed! Hope ourselves and Honduras can keep it up.

Calling All Hogs

I found you a nice GIF if you ever want to change your profile pic Notshavin. :)

Quote from: CallMeHog on June 14, 2014, 04:36:37 pm
I found you a nice GIF if you ever want to change your profile pic Notshavin. :)

Ha!  That's great.  Gonna use it after we either win the World Cup or don't make it out of our group..

ENGLAND
LINE-UP:

G
1   Joe Hart
D
2   Glen Johnson
D
3   Leighton Baines
D
5   Gary Cahill
D
6   Phil Jagielka
M
4   Steven Gerrard
M
10   Wayne Rooney
M
11   Danny Welbeck
M
14   Jordan Henderson
M
19   Raheem Sterling
F
9   Daniel Sturridge

Interesting putting Rooney in the midfield.

ITALY
LINE-UP:

G
12   Salvatore Sirigu
D
3   Giorgio Chiellini
D
4   Matteo Darmian
D
15   Andrea Barzagli
D
20   Gabriel Paletta
M
6   Antonio Candreva
M
8   Claudio Marchisio
M
16   Daniele de Rossi
M
21   Andrea Pirlo
M
23   Marco Verratti
F
9   Mario Balotelli

Balotelli is the 23 year old superstar to watch out for.

This match had a draw written all over it, but after the # of goals we've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that continues. 

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 05:01:42 pm
He could explode at any minute and in any number of ways....

Yep.  And Raheem Sterling for England is all of 19, but he could be a factor..

England with a couple good chances, Sterling with a rocket that just misses and then some give 'n go's in the box and a great save by Buffon's replacement Sirigu.

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 05:10:14 pm
Thought this might be interesting: England's starting 11 for game 1 of the 2010 WC

England: James, Johnson, Carragher, Terry, Ashley Cole, Lennon,
Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Heskey.

Changing of the guard...

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 05:22:59 pm
Wholesale changes....probably the norm for many teams though...

FWIW: this is a Dutch referee on the whistle for this match...

Always interesting who the ref is...since they insert themselves so often into the outcome.

England so far with more and better chances, Italy fortunate not to have an own goal on that one play.

England's speed up front looks like it could be a factor

Amazing "dummy" by Italian captain Pirlo let's it go for #8 Marchisimo, wide open in front of the box, DRILLS it home..

GoooooooooaaaaaaallllLL!!!  Italy breaks the seal...how will England respond?

Also, will Italy hunker down, or do what every other team has in this WC continue attacking...

ENGLAND answers before I can finish typing, STURRIDGE with the equalizer, beautiful cross from Rooney...Goooooooooaaaaaaaallllll!!!!1

1-1

Unbelievable the amount of goals and quality ones in this world cup..

And it looks like someone got injured on the sidelines during one of the celebrations...

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on June 14, 2014, 05:14:02 pm
Changing of the guard...

Yeah they went with the youth movement.  Had no idea Sterling was going to be starting, but the kid is really talented with experience so not all that surprised. I definitely think Cole should have been there, and they should have put at least some effort in convincing Terry to come back.  Think we'll see some problems along the back line for them.

AMAZING touch by Balotelli sails it over keeper's head, but England's #6 Jagielka heads it out in front of the goal, then another shot off the post....

Half-time

1-1

Another thing I love about soccer is no commercials during each half.

The letting it go between your legs "dummy" has been a big player in this tourney so far, Colombia used it well as did Italy just now.

Can't wait to see the story on the injury...only in the WC lol

That was a great shot of that Pub and their reaction in England to the goals..

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 05:01:42 pm
He could explode at any minute and in any number of ways....

And there he is....

Balotelli with the header from the cross, CLINICAL strike, getting up and heading it down where the keeper had no chance

2-1 Italy leads

Crowd begins to sing the Seven Nation Army riff...wonder how Jack White feels when he hears that..

England knock-knock-knocking on the door....

I'll be surprised if they can't equalize here.  A lot of time left and Italy is being exposed on D.  Traditionally Italy is known for their defenders, it's back to the speed mentioned earlier though that they seem to have trouble with.

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 05:25:33 pm
An England team with speed!  What a difference!

And that's something(speed) the U.S. has that even Klinsmann expressed that he wants to take advantage of.  We can play with these teams, or what we've seen so far.  I just hope the soccer Gods and refs are kind to us...

Rooney comes within inches wide left of tying this game.

They'll get more chances, but they have to put it in the net...

Barkley who just came in for #11 Welbeck also shoots just wide...

England getting too cute now, IMO.  They need to focus on fast counter attacks, spreading out the D and using the wings more.  They are all bunched up, and each trying to split 2-3 defenders..

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 06:32:24 pm
I know this is a very early observation, but the youngsters selected by Roy Hodgson are definitely contributing in this game - perhaps even more so than the experienced players. 

Also it appears the Manaus heat and humidity are starting to take effect as the pace of this game is slowing to a crawl. 

I agree.  The England manager looking like a genius.  The players now need to execute like they were in the first part.

Manaus is right next to the Amazon river.  Crazy hot there.

Italy consistently does things that make no sense.  Why would you take out Balotelli??  Especially when England could equalize any moment.  It might come back to bite them.

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on June 14, 2014, 06:37:46 pm
I agree.  The England manager looking like a genius.  The players now need to execute like they were in the first part.

Manaus is right next to the Amazon river.  Crazy hot there.

Italy consistently does things that make no sense.  Why would you take out Balotelli??  Especially when England could equalize any moment.  It might come back to bite them.

I said the same thing, but flipping back and forth I forgot the game is in Manaus.  Maybe that heat has something to do with it, although I'd think Balotelli could play for days.

Quote from: yraciv on June 14, 2014, 06:42:11 pm
I said the same thing, but flipping back and forth I forgot the game is in Manaus.  Maybe that heat has something to do with it, although I'd think Balotelli could play for days.

At only 23, you'd think so.  Unless he got banged up or something we don't know about, I think they jumped the gun a bit.

But now the 3 LIONS running out of time.  I would not feel good about 0 points with Costa Rica's win.  Uruguay took them for granted and got burned.

Sterling gets a yellow..

I agree with commentators, why isn't England bringing everyone forward?  At this point, when you have the ball on their side of the field, I'd even bring in the goalie.. They just need ONE goal to get a point

England 1
Daniel Sturridge 37'

Italy 2
Claudio Marchisio 35' • Mario Balotelli 50'

Super Mario with the winner.

Did they ever say anything else about the guy on the sidelines who was injured?

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2014, 08:44:33 pm
Gary Lewin news. He has dislocated his ankle which may rule him out of physio-ing for some time. But it's hard to tell. How healthy does your ankle need to be to be a physio?

That was from this website.

Wow, those celebrations are out of control! 

JayBell

I have no clue who is going to advance from this group.  Uruguay had Costa Rica, but just never delivered the finishing blow.  Credit to the Ticos for taking control of that game.  You would think Italy and Uruguay are both more talented than England, but Costa Rica's three points are going to keep them in the mix.

I'd love to see all four teams finish with 4 points.

England vs. Uruguay coming up.  Looks like Suarez is in.

Uruguay
Line-up:

G
   1    Fernando Muslera

D
   3    Diego Godín

D
   6    Álvaro Pereira

D
   13    José Giménez

D
   22    Martín Cáceres

M
   7    Cristian Rodríguez

M
   14    Nicolás Lodeiro

M
   17    Egidio Arévalo Ríos

M
   20    Álvaro González

F
   9    Luis Suárez

F
   21    Edinson Cavani

England
Line-up:

G
   1    Joe Hart

D
   2    Glen Johnson

D
   3    Leighton Baines

D
   5    Gary Cahill

D
   6    Phil Jagielka

M
   4    Steven Gerrard

M
   10    Wayne Rooney

M
   11    Danny Welbeck

M
   14    Jordan Henderson

M
   19    Raheem Sterling

F
   9    Daniel Sturridge

I think England with it's new-found speed(which is what hurt Uruguay against the Ticos) takes the 3 points here and eliminates Uruguay.

Gooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaal!  Uruguay - perfect cross and a great header by Suarez.

1-0 Uruguay

Suarez 38'

Ok, I'm going to stop predicting games.  Although I might predict the U.S. will lose every game from here on out.  That might help us.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Notshavin on June 19, 2014, 02:40:40 pm
Gooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaal!  Uruguay - perfect cross and a great header by Suarez.

1-0 Uruguay

Suarez 38'

Ok, I'm going to stop predicting games.  Although I might predict the U.S. will lose every game from here on out.  That might help us.

that cross by Cavani was STUPID good.  I mean what a touch.  had to get it just over the defender's head without it going over Suarez' head.  A fairly easy header for Suarez there.  And he's gonna finish that every time.  Suarez made a great run to go with it, defender thought he'd come inside

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 19, 2014, 02:45:35 pm
that cross by Cavani was STUPID good.  I mean what a touch.  had to get it just over the defender's head without it going over Suarez' head.  A fairly easy header for Suarez there.  And he's gonna finish that every time.  Suarez made a great run to go with it, defender thought he'd come inside

He served it up on a platter....

razorJAcker

This game feels like a blatant screwing by the Spanish referee.  Godin for Uruguay should have been sent off with a second yellow card (his first could have easily been a red, IMO), but it was ignored by the referee.  There's been a few phantom fouls on England as well. 

razorJAcker

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on June 19, 2014, 02:45:35 pm

Was one of the best I've seen in this World Cup.

England starting to attack.  I don't think Uruguay can withstand this.  They are going to need at least one more goal.

I agree, the ref is questionable so far.