Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mets/Bonfield thread

Started by Baseball Hog, June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 16, 2014, 11:30:43 am
These things seem petty but When a kid is about to get well over 2 million, sometimes they'll budge a couple hundred thousand just to get the ball rolling.

Sandy Alderson and Depodesta are smart guys.  I don't think they would even attempt to pull something like that with a Boras guy if they had anything agreed to beforehand. 

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 16, 2014, 11:32:25 am
The bolded part is what matters.  We have learned that Boras doesn't let his guys take discounts even if it means they have to wait until June to sign.

I truly feel like if the Mets wanted to make a legit run at Bonfield, they wouldn't have signed a guy outside of the top 10 rounds for 300K.  They might be working to sign Ramirez and a couple of other guys that want more than 100K, but not Bonfield money.  They might be going for quantity over quality.

And I think they should go for quantity over quality.  At that point in the draft... luck is a big enough factor that having more options is better than fewer options. 

Yes, even Boras guys take discounts - the 1st round slots (especially at the top) are too high to begin with, to help the worse teams have more flexibility. 

We all know Conforto is signing this year and not going to come back as a senior.  If he drops five slots in the draft... he'll get paid less just because the team will have less bonus money to be able to use, regardless of what they were willing to do.  Its almost never good to let your guy fall, no matter the negotiation. 

Regardless, the issue at hand is not if he is taking a discount or not.  That is irrelevant.  The issue is if they agreed to a number before the draft.  And that almost certainly happened. 

Edit: The issue is 100% if he is taking a discount and how much.  I mean for this particular point on if it is good or bad that he is signing so soon.  My contention is that the timing has nothing to do with his bonus in relation to his slot.

Scott7703

Baseball hog is on to something.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dotnet on June 16, 2014, 11:42:23 am

Edit: The issue is 100% if he is taking a discount and how much.  I mean for this particular point on if it is good or bad that he is signing so soon.  My contention is that the timing has nothing to do with his bonus in relation to his slot.

Conforto doesn't give a crap about Bonfield.  The Mets do.  If Conforto is playing hardball and it means you aren't going to get to sign a couple of the guys you wanted to unless he budges off his number, why would you give in with a month to go?

I feel like the Mets think they can sign everyone they want to with the amount of money they are now giving Conforto, or else they wouldn't have signed him yet.

dotnet

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 16, 2014, 12:27:30 pm
Conforto doesn't give a crap about Bonfield.  The Mets do.  If Conforto is playing hardball and it means you aren't going to get to sign a couple of the guys you wanted to unless he budges off his number, why would you give in with a month to go?

I feel like the Mets think they can sign everyone they want to with the amount of money they are now giving Conforto, or else they wouldn't have signed him yet.

I'm not sure where how much Conforto cares about Bonfield comes into the discussion?

What you're saying only makes sense if the Mets and Boras didn't have an agreement on the day of the draft

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dotnet on June 16, 2014, 02:44:57 pm
I'm not sure where how much Conforto cares about Bonfield comes into the discussion?

Because signing early indicates both parties being very satisfied.  The Mets being satisfied at this point doesn't bode well for us.

Quote from: dotnet on June 16, 2014, 02:44:57 pm
What you're saying only makes sense if the Mets and Boras didn't have an agreement on the day of the draft

I'd be shocked if they did.  Every club has a good understanding of what the player wants.  They also have a good understanding that they can knock a player down a little bit during negotiations if they need the cash.

If they already had an agreement he'd have signed a week ago.

Baseball Hog

After all my arguing yesterday I may have been wrong.  Rumors are circulating that Conforto is getting paid.  Not entirely sure what that means though.

Scott7703

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 17, 2014, 10:52:33 am
After all my arguing yesterday I may have been wrong.  Rumors are circulating that Conforto is getting paid.  Not entirely sure what that means though.

This is accurate but from what I'm hearing the mets still plan to make a serious run at Luke. I question where the money is coming from.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PurpleBullHog

Does anyone know off hand the number that Conforto would have to sign with to leave the Mets the 750k they need to sign Luke? 

Baseball Hog

Quote from: PurpleBullHog on June 17, 2014, 05:42:49 pm
Does anyone know off hand the number that Conforto would have to sign with to leave the Mets the 750k they need to sign Luke? 

$2.78 million according to my math.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 17, 2014, 05:51:39 pm

His slot is just under $3M right?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

jry04

WizardofhOgZ

Hee-haw . . . posted in the wrong frickin' thread.  Obviously, the article I posted was about Hentges, which has been noted in the RIGHT thread about him.

Sorry.

:-[

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 17, 2014, 11:01:39 pm
Hee-haw . . . posted in the wrong frickin' thread.  Obviously, the article I posted was about Hentges, which has been noted in the RIGHT thread about him.

Sorry.

:) ;D ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ ;) :)

ucahogfan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 17, 2014, 11:01:39 pm

Sorry.

No worries.  Just rather keep a potential rumor at bay before it can gain steam and people start freaking out.

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 17, 2014, 05:51:39 pm

Gracias.  This way I can skip the step of seeing what Conforto signed for, and then looking for a UCA post to explain that number to me.  Also lets me skip the step of doing math myself, which lord knows wouldn't end well.

Baseball Hog

Latest on the Bonfield Twitterverse:

Bonfield retweeted:

#TheHill is calling your name @LukeBonfield #WPS

#Hogs need a full court press on @LukeBonfield .  Could be the difference for consecutive Omaha appearances and a national title run!!

Tweeted:

@MooseWinningham gonna see @WinninghamDash and I hitting 3-4

Someone responded to the above saying does this mean you'll sign?  And he replied with: haha we will see what happeneds ethier way it's a win win with Arkansas or the mets

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 18, 2014, 04:10:26 pm
Latest on the Bonfield Twitterverse:

Bonfield retweeted:

#TheHill is calling your name @LukeBonfield #WPS

#Hogs need a full court press on @LukeBonfield .  Could be the difference for consecutive Omaha appearances and a national title run!!

Tweeted:

@MooseWinningham gonna see @WinninghamDash and I hitting 3-4

Someone responded to the above saying does this mean you'll sign?  And he replied with: haha we will see what happeneds ethier way it's a win win with Arkansas or the mets

It's a clue. He is secretly wanting the Mets to acquire Andre Ethier to get him to sign.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Baseball Hog

The Mets have signed Conforto for slot.

Baseball Hog

If my math and info is correct it looks like the Mets have at absolute maximum of 563k (That uses the entirety of the 5% overage assuming they don't care about the luxury tax).

Sueie

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 19, 2014, 12:19:28 pm
If my math and info is correct it looks like the Mets have at absolute maximum of 563k (That uses the entirety of the 5% overage assuming they don't care about the luxury tax).

IF he is a true Mets fan. He will take the money. If he doesn't care WHO drafts him in 3 years he will go to school.
Simple as that.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Sueie on June 19, 2014, 12:42:48 pm
IF he is a true Mets fan. He will take the money. If he doesn't care WHO drafts him in 3 years he will go to school.
Simple as that.

You would sign with your favorite team for 10% of what you think you're worth?

And it's not like the Mets can't draft him in 3 years anyway.  A lot of teams do that especially with home town guys.

Scott7703

Unless a lot has changed $563k won't be enough to get him signed. The team that drafted him being the mets still has me nervous though.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 19, 2014, 12:50:18 pm
Unless a lot has changed $563k won't be enough to get him signed. The team that drafted him being the mets still has me nervous though.
Yeah, the fact that he grew up a Mets fan makes me nervous, but he has been vocal about how excited he is to play in Fayetteville and how it would take a lot of money to sign him.  I think we can count him on campus now.  I think the Mets are 100K short (563+100) to intrigue Bonfield.

Sueie

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 19, 2014, 12:44:51 pm
You would sign with your favorite team for 10% of what you think you're worth?

And it's not like the Mets can't draft him in 3 years anyway.  A lot of teams do that especially with home town guys.

I would not sign with the Mets for any amount. I have never lost anything in New York.  But I am not a Mets fan like he is.  I say if they wave the money in front of his nose he signs.

Hope not because we need EVERY bat we can get.  But I would not bet against it.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 19, 2014, 01:06:27 pm
I would not sign with the Mets for any amount. I have never lost anything in New York.  But I am not a Mets fan like he is.  I say if they wave the money in front of his nose he signs.

Hope not because we need EVERY bat we can get.  But I would not bet against it.
From my understanding, they have already waved money in front of his nose and he said no.  He has a number in mind that he will sign for, but the Mets can't get there now without giving up at least 1 future 1st round pick.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 19, 2014, 01:20:08 pm
the Mets can't get there now without giving up at least 1 future 1st round pick.

many (all?) teams wouldn't do that for Strasburg... so that is off the table in this situation. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 19, 2014, 01:59:50 pm
many (all?) teams wouldn't do that for Strasburg... so that is off the table in this situation.
About the only players I would give up a 1st round pick for would be Trout and Kershaw.

ucahogfan

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   4h   

Crazy to think in exactly a month from now i will 100% know if I'm gonna be a @RazorbackBSB or a @Mets #FutureIsLookingBright

ucahogfan

Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB     ·   8h   

Re Conforto tweets, I didn't say he signed w/@Mets, said terms have been agreed to. I confirmed that & am sticking to that. @MLBDraft

Michael Conforto ‏@mconforto8  · 11h 
Getting a lot of texts and phone calls asking if I have signed. I have not signed. Still in Redmond with my family and friends

booogaga

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 19, 2014, 11:09:11 pm
Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   4h   

Crazy to think in exactly a month from now i will 100% know if I'm gonna be a @RazorbackBSB or a @Mets #FutureIsLookingBright

We have to wait a month?! I need some pepto
GO HOGS!

billmontgomery10

Quote from: Sueie on June 15, 2014, 08:35:01 pm
Me too.
But as for Spoon not having a spot in the outfield if he returned.  Who do you all think the 3 outfielders would be next year? I say Benitendi, Spoon and Eagan/Serrano. Bonfiled will have to prove it at the college level before I would just "hand it to him".  I do not care what he did in high school.  Where did he play summer ball at?  That is why I KNEW Benitendi would start from day one.  Competition only makes you better.

Based on the fact Eagan is tearing it up in summer ball and the comments by DVH, I'd say the outfield is going to be Eagan and Benintendi and then Spoon/Serrano/Bonfield will battle it out for the left field spot. You have to remember that Spoon batted below .200 in the second half of the season. If you eliminate the early season cream puffs then his average was really woeful last year. Serrano is limited defensively and has no power, although he did hit a lot better than Spoon last year. DVH swears he is going to "remake" Baxendale's body next year so Blake may slip in to the 1st base spot/DH and Rodriguez is going to get a real shot at starting catcher so the options for Spoon are limited unless he wows in fall ball. Serrano was given some time in the infield before being shipped to the outfield so I think he has more options than Spoon. I just don't see Wehrele or Bernal starting next year. I look for Wiggins to play third and either McAfee or a freshman at short....

Baseball Hog

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on June 20, 2014, 11:43:08 am
Based on the fact Eagan is tearing it up in summer ball and the comments by DVH, I'd say the outfield is going to be Eagan and Benintendi and then Spoon/Serrano/Bonfield will battle it out for the left field spot. You have to remember that Spoon batted below .200 in the second half of the season. If you eliminate the early season cream puffs then his average was really woeful last year. Serrano is limited defensively and has no power, although he did hit a lot better than Spoon last year. DVH swears he is going to "remake" Baxendale's body next year so Blake may slip in to the 1st base spot/DH and Rodriguez is going to get a real shot at starting catcher so the options for Spoon are limited unless he wows in fall ball. Serrano was given some time in the infield before being shipped to the outfield so I think he has more options than Spoon. I just don't see Wehrele or Bernal starting next year. I look for Wiggins to play third and either McAfee or a freshman at short....

Seranno will be in the lineup without a doubt.

Zero chance a freshman starts over McAfee at SS.

Spoon is more versatile defensively considering I've yet to see Serrano play good defense anywhere on the field.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 20, 2014, 11:50:33 am
Seranno will be in the lineup without a doubt.

Zero chance a freshman starts over McAfee at SS.

Spoon is more versatile defensively considering I've yet to see Serrano play good defense anywhere on the field.

Too strong a statement to make when discussing someone with back problems.  A healthy McAfee - yes.  But we don't/can't know if that will be the case.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 20, 2014, 11:59:13 am
Too strong a statement to make when discussing someone with back problems.  A healthy McAfee - yes.  But we don't/can't know if that will be the case.

Obviously that's what I meant.

Kevin

remember dvh said spoon had an injured wrist & shoulder.

let's see what he does healthy.

what i have seen so far, we have three good to decent hitters who have no position.

serrano
eagan
baxendale

going to be interesting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

why has eagan only played in two games?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on June 20, 2014, 11:43:08 am
I think the two given spots next year are Benintendi in CF and a healthy McAfee at SS.  Outside of that, we have a lot of good hitters who could fill in multiple locations:

-  Bonfield will play a corner OF spot.  I think we are recruiting him as a RF, but Spoon and Benninghoff have better arms and might be better fits in RF.  Bonfield has done an excellent job this spring of becoming an average defender.  His hit tool is definitely elite, and he could develop into a power threat down the road.

-  Eagan will be in the lineup somewhere.  He didn't really show that he was a great defender, but he showed an excellent bat when he got the chance the last month of the season.  He is athletic enough to cross train in the OF and INF, but I think a corner OF spot, 1B, or DH is where he ends up.  I would like to see him get more ABs this summer after going 6-8 in his first 2 games, but hasn't seen the field since.

-  Baxendale will be in the lineup and probably bat cleanup.  Again, he needs to work hard to get better defensively, but he should be a great cleanup hitter.

-  Rodriguez should be the starting C next year.  I know a lot of people will favor Gosser because of his limited ABs this year, but I feel like Rodriguez is a better player based on scouting reports.  Rodriguez will come in more like a RS Freshman because he is playing summer ball in the California League and should get 100 ABs or so against D-1 pitching for the most part.

-  Wiggins should be in the lineup next year, and could have maybe been behind the plate if Rodriguez wasn't coming  to campus next year.  Again, not the best defensively, but his power is legit and he could be the 5/6 hole hitter and hit with a lot of power.  He probably won't hit for a high average, but it should be offset by his power.

-  Serrano will be in the lineup.  He has hit every year and it shouldn't be any different as a senior.  Again, not a great defender, but it is playable because of his bat.

-  The real question mark next year IMO is who is going to play 2B.  I think it comes down to Grieshaber and Nomura.  Typically I count on freshmen providing a more immediate impact than JUCOs, but Nomura is currently hitting .340 in California this summer.  He was a triples machine in JUCO so he probably has a lot of gap power, but won't hit many HRs.  Grieshaber will probably start at SS in the event that McAfee gets hurt.  He might be the most athletic player DVH has signed and his ceiling is very high.  He has some present hit tools, but should only get better playing baseball full time.

-  I really hope Spoon comes back healthy and tears it up, but right now, I think he is behind some guys in the OF and needs to get better.

-  McKinney is an intriguing player.  I think he has a big future on the mound for the Hogs, but he also has high level hit tools.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 20, 2014, 12:10:57 pm
why has eagan only played in two games?
I've wondered the same thing.  He went 3-4 in each of his first 2 games and hasn't played since.  Maybe he is hurt, but I haven't seen anything on that.  It is weird that a coach would sit a player after starting off on fire.

TikiHog

first thing Bax needs to work on is his weight

futurehogdad

Quote from: TikiHog on June 20, 2014, 01:02:49 pm
first thing Bax needs to work on is his weight

If Bax would work as hard on getting in shape as he does in the cage he would be an AA. 

rhog1

https://twitter.com/gabellanes

Looks like the Mets have signed their 15th rounder Gabriel Llanes. Doesn't say for how much.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 20, 2014, 12:53:34 pm
I think the two given spots next year are Benintendi in CF and a healthy McAfee at SS.  Outside of that, we have a lot of good hitters who could fill in multiple locations:

-  Bonfield will play a corner OF spot.  I think we are recruiting him as a RF, but Spoon and Benninghoff have better arms and might be better fits in RF.  Bonfield has done an excellent job this spring of becoming an average defender.  His hit tool is definitely elite, and he could develop into a power threat down the road.

-  Eagan will be in the lineup somewhere.  He didn't really show that he was a great defender, but he showed an excellent bat when he got the chance the last month of the season.  He is athletic enough to cross train in the OF and INF, but I think a corner OF spot, 1B, or DH is where he ends up.  I would like to see him get more ABs this summer after going 6-8 in his first 2 games, but hasn't seen the field since.

-  Baxendale will be in the lineup and probably bat cleanup.  Again, he needs to work hard to get better defensively, but he should be a great cleanup hitter.

-  Rodriguez should be the starting C next year.  I know a lot of people will favor Gosser because of his limited ABs this year, but I feel like Rodriguez is a better player based on scouting reports.  Rodriguez will come in more like a RS Freshman because he is playing summer ball in the California League and should get 100 ABs or so against D-1 pitching for the most part.

-  Wiggins should be in the lineup next year, and could have maybe been behind the plate if Rodriguez wasn't coming  to campus next year.  Again, not the best defensively, but his power is legit and he could be the 5/6 hole hitter and hit with a lot of power.  He probably won't hit for a high average, but it should be offset by his power.

-  Serrano will be in the lineup.  He has hit every year and it shouldn't be any different as a senior.  Again, not a great defender, but it is playable because of his bat.

The real question mark next year IMO is who is going to play 2B.  I think it comes down to Grieshaber and Nomura.  Typically I count on freshmen providing a more immediate impact than JUCOs, but Nomura is currently hitting .340 in California this summer.  He was a triples machine in JUCO so he probably has a lot of gap power, but won't hit many HRs.  Grieshaber will probably start at SS in the event that McAfee gets hurt.  He might be the most athletic player DVH has signed and his ceiling is very high.  He has some present hit tools, but should only get better playing baseball full time.

-  I really hope Spoon comes back healthy and tears it up, but right now, I think he is behind some guys in the OF and needs to get better.

-  McKinney is an intriguing player.  I think he has a big future on the mound for the Hogs, but he also has high level hit tools.

Dumb question time! I haven't been following much post draft and such...but Is Bernal gone? If not could he not possibly play 2B. If he is  gone please disregard and forgive me.

ucahogfan

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 20, 2014, 05:09:08 pm
Dumb question time! I haven't been following much post draft and such...but Is Bernal gone? If not could he not possibly play 2B. If he is  gone please disregard and forgive me.
Bernal will be back because he wasn't drafted unless he decides to transfer.  DVH expects him to be back, but in a utility role.  From the sounds of it, DVH isn't expecting Bernal and Wernes to start next year or see much time at all.  The coaches went out and signed Nomura late because they saw something they really liked in how he plays.

bulldog04

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 20, 2014, 05:09:08 pm
Don't be surprised to see Spoon or Serrano at 2B

hogman64

that would be a pretty good sign we are  going to be a strong team if Spoon is on the bench.. I don't remember such a high profile type player ever coming back  and sitting on the bench.

ucahogfan

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB  · 1h 
Unlikely. 21st rd means signability was tough. @skingsports: What are the odds the @mets sign Luke Bonfield? @MLBDraft

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 20, 2014, 09:49:36 pm
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB  · 1h 
Unlikely. 21st rd means signability was tough. @skingsports: What are the odds the @mets sign Luke Bonfield? @MLBDraft
Finally some good news today! Thanks.

Fort Dweller