Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mets/Bonfield thread

Started by Baseball Hog, June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   4h   

Welcome to the family! "@LukeBonfield: I have made my decision and I have decided to by pass Pro ball and honor my commitment to Arkansas."

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Kevin on June 22, 2014, 06:45:03 am
I still say there will be a shocking name or two that is not on the roster come august

Man we get it you think there will be some shocking people gone! It won't change the overall makeup of the team enough to have major impact.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Knot2brite

Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 22, 2014, 06:18:49 pm
You might be surprised

I love how everybody is throwing out these vague statements acting like they know something yet nobody will name names.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 22, 2014, 07:08:37 pm
I love how everybody is throwing out these vague statements acting like they know something yet nobody will name names.

They are MMQB recruiting staff lingering over here

PorkerOinker

You might be surprised

I doubt it, I'm sure DVH will make room to keep anyone that he feels made an impact on this past team or anyone that will make one next year. If they have the potential to be a game changer we will not lose them.

PurpleBullHog

You might be surprised

"Guys, I know who the next Razorback football coach is, and it's gonna be great......."

I thought we were done with these dark days for Hogville? 

But seriously, so glad we got this kid.  I have high hopes for next season!  WPS!

Kevin

it is not about the names of who might.

from my stand point, it is about the numbers.

27 get money
21 who got money last year return
signees who have been offered money

puts us over 27, so some good players will not be there come august.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

snoblind

Aren't kids who play baseball allowed to get funds from other sources, i.e., scholarships, grants, etc.?  Not having kids that age I'm not up on all the options, but I would think it would be possible to finance "full rides" for some without using a dime of baseball scholarship.

Kevin

Quote from: snoblind on June 23, 2014, 10:07:41 am
Aren't kids who play baseball allowed to get funds from other sources, i.e., scholarships, grants, etc.?  Not having kids that age I'm not up on all the options, but I would think it would be possible to finance "full rides" for some without using a dime of baseball scholarship.

yes, if a kid through lottery money, academics got a full ride, then he would not count toward the 27.

plus, if a kid receives baseball money, he must receive at least a  25% scholarship
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on June 23, 2014, 10:13:37 am
yes, if a kid through lottery money, academics got a full ride, then he would not count toward the 27.

plus, if a kid receives baseball money, he must receive at least a  25% scholarship

Well that really helps out, lottery is given to almost anyone and some of these kids pick up other scholarships to stack on top.  This only further hurts your point though

Kevin

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 23, 2014, 10:40:00 am
Well that really helps out, lottery is given to almost anyone and some of these kids pick up other scholarships to stack on top.  This only further hurts your point though

it does not hurt my point. unless, one of the studs, gets a full ride without baseball money, 27 guys will get baseball money, so the numbers don't change

snoblind

Thanks, that is what I thought.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on June 23, 2014, 10:55:54 am
it does not hurt my point. unless, one of the studs, gets a full ride without baseball money, 27 guys will get baseball money, so the numbers don't change

Some of these kids can easily qualify for lottery money and probably even some academic scholarships, so can horn can give the scholarship money to ones that can't and need assistance to get through school.  Meaning that maybe less shocking names would need to look elsewhere.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Ray Piggers on June 21, 2014, 07:59:04 pm
Love the tweet from Kyle Pate "Y'all are welcome"

This.

He worked it hard and was really responsible in a number of ways.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 23, 2014, 06:33:51 pm
This.

He worked it hard and was really responsible in a number of ways.

We still have to go from 54?? to 35, several won't be here in August, several more in January.

hawgmasta

I don't follow baseball as much as football and basketball but I've heard a lot about Bonfield. So this guy may be the best pure hitter DVH has ever signed?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgmasta on June 23, 2014, 07:08:56 pm
I don't follow baseball as much as football and basketball but I've heard a lot about Bonfield. So this guy may be the best pure hitter DVH has ever signed?

I'd say definitely since the new bat is implemented. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on June 23, 2014, 07:04:47 pm
We still have to go from 54?? to 35, several won't be here in August, several more in January.
As it pertains to this thread, I'm not worried about it.

The hard truth is his talent will likely hasten some departures.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Kevin on June 23, 2014, 10:13:37 am

We get what your saying that some guys will not be there, but its not really going to hurt the team, 27 guys get money, DVH will give that money to the best 27 players!

You keep bringing this up like we ought to just be falling all over ourselves worrying about guys leaving the team, when we shouldn't be that concerned at all. We will still field a full roster and it will be the best 27 guys we have up there.

Kevin

Quote from: PorkerOinker on June 23, 2014, 07:53:48 pm
We get what your saying that some guys will not be there, but its not really going to hurt the team, 27 guys get money, DVH will give that money to the best 27 players!

You keep bringing this up like we ought to just be falling all over ourselves worrying about guys leaving the team, when we shouldn't be that concerned at all. We will still field a full roster and it will be the best 27 guys we have up there.

the part you quoted was answering someone's question.

i am not worried about the final roster, it will be what it is. i just would not pencil to many guys in the starting line up or on the roster till august.

ucahogfan

Bonfield interviewed with a radio show in Arkansas and the interview can be found at the following link:

http://www.hogsportsradio.com/the-zoo-luke-bonfield-interview/

A couple of things that I found very pleasing:

-  Bonfield seems to be more focused on the team's success rather than his own.  He talked about caring more about wins and losses than his individual stats.
-  I thought his arm was just average and he might be better suited in LF, but he said that he injured his arm and that affected his arm strength.  It has since healed and he hit 92 from the OF in a tryout with the Mets leading up to the draft.  That is a very good sign and he should have a plus arm for a collegiate OF.
-  He talked about one of his personal goals being a .400+ OBP.  He wants to hit .300, but realizes the importance of getting on base.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

June 26, 2014, 10:08:49 pm #172 Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:49:41 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: ucahogfan on June 24, 2014, 02:05:53 pm
Bonfield interviewed with a radio show in Arkansas and the interview can be found at the following link:

http://www.hogsportsradio.com/the-zoo-luke-bonfield-interview/

A couple of things that I found very pleasing:

-  Bonfield seems to be more focused on the team's success rather than his own.  He talked about caring more about wins and losses than his individual stats.
-  I thought his arm was just average and he might be better suited in LF, but he said that he injured his arm and that affected his arm strength.  It has since healed and he hit 92 from the OF in a tryout with the Mets leading up to the draft.  That is a very good sign and he should have a plus arm for a collegiate OF.
-  He talked about one of his personal goals being a .400+ OBP.  He wants to hit .300, but realizes the importance of getting on base.
Luke "It was going to take close to $1 million to sign me away from Arkansas".

ucahogfan

The Mets have signed Raphael Ramirez who was drafted in the 18th round with the excess money left in their pool.

Rocky Mountain Living

GO HOGS!

More from the interview....

reasons for being a Hog.  Money. Kyle Pate #1, loved his official visit:  Gig Em football game and intersquad Hog Baseball game.  His arm is pitcher's quality.

Goal is to be in Omaha next year!

Go Bonfield!