Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mets/Bonfield thread

Started by Baseball Hog, June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baseball Hog

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 20, 2014, 05:51:44 pm
Don't be surprised to see Spoon or Serrano at 2B

Been saying since I saw him play from day 1, if he's going to play anywhere it has to be 2B.  I know DVH and staff are smart enough to have tried him there after all the 2B conflict we've had, so I'm assuming he just can't do it.

Kevin

Spoon will start in right field , and will have to fail at the plate to be sent to the bench.

He will get the first shot.  That is how dvh has operated since coming here.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2014, 05:14:03 am
Spoon will start in right field , and will have to fail at the plate to be sent to the bench.

But at the same time, we are entering unchartered waters in the DVH era by bringing in a player of Bonfield's caliber to compete against a returning starter.  Bonfield is Fico/Cox caliber and they both started as freshmen.  It's not like we are benching Spoon in favor of a nobody.  We are saying Spoon will be behind one of the best hitters DVH has brought to campus.

bulldog04

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2014, 05:14:03 am

This is true

onebadrubi

All irrelevant till Bonfield gets to campus.  Just saying

booogaga

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 10:20:22 am
All irrelevant till Bonfield gets to campus.  Just saying
thinking the same thing. until he comes to campus i am assuming spoon will be in right field.
GO HOGS!

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 21, 2014, 07:41:24 am
But at the same time, we are entering unchartered waters in the DVH era by bringing in a player of Bonfield's caliber to compete against a returning starter.  Bonfield is Fico/Cox caliber and they both started as freshmen.  It's not like we are benching Spoon in favor of a nobody.  We are saying Spoon will be behind one of the best hitters DVH has brought to campus.

i just don't see him changing his ways that much, i hope we get to see how it plays out
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2014, 01:13:28 pm
i just don't see him changing his ways that much, i hope we get to see how it plays out
But this is a situation we haven't encountered that I can remember.  The last two top 100 offensive players DVH has gotten to campus was Cox and Fico.  Cox replaced Forsythe at 3B after he got drafted and Fico replaced Wilkins.  I assume DVH had Bonfield penciled in to replace Serrano/Spoon after this season because I don't think DVH would have expected either back before the season started.  We haven't seen the situation where an elite hitter comes to campus to replace a starter who struggled at the plate albeit due mostly to injury.  I think with the news of Conforto agreeing to sign for slot that Bonfield comes to campus and we get to see this situation play out.

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 21, 2014, 01:28:27 pm
But this is a situation we haven't encountered that I can remember.  The last two top 100 offensive players DVH has gotten to campus was Cox and Fico.  Cox replaced Forsythe at 3B after he got drafted and Fico replaced Wilkins.  I assume DVH had Bonfield penciled in to replace Serrano/Spoon after this season because I don't think DVH would have expected either back before the season started.  We haven't seen the situation where an elite hitter comes to campus to replace a starter who struggled at the plate albeit due mostly to injury.  I think with the news of Conforto agreeing to sign for slot that Bonfield comes to campus and we get to see this situation play out.

also, i always thought serrano would come back. he is a man without a position. wasn't sure about spoon, but as the year went on, definitely knew he was come back.

i think we see some shocking names transfer out of the program before august

as coaches say, the numbers will work themselves out

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2014, 01:40:07 pm
i think we see some shocking names transfer out of the program before august
What do you mean by shocking names?

Here are the players that I would be absolutely shocked if they transferred:

Serrano
McAfee
Stone
Spoon
Killian
Poche
Eagan
Benintendi
Baxendale
Taccolini
Teague
Jackson

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 21, 2014, 04:20:13 pm
What do you mean by shocking names?

Here are the players that I would be absolutely shocked if they transferred:

Serrano
McAfee
Stone
Spoon
Killian
Poche
Eagan
Benintendi
Baxendale
Taccolini
Teague
Jackson

I'd concur with that, might have to think on one or two of them.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2014, 04:30:04 pm
I'd concur with that, might have to think on one or two of them.
Yeah, there are a couple on that list I wouldn't be as shocked, but those are the returning players I expect DVH to build the 2015 team around.

booogaga

If the dude signed for slot money then there should be a little more to offer bonfield correct?
GO HOGS!

ucahogfan

Quote from: booogaga on June 21, 2014, 06:23:39 pm
If the dude signed for slot money then there should be a little more to offer bonfield correct?
Conforto has agreed to terms for slot money.  I don't know if it is a done deal yet, but he will get slot money.

That leaves the Mets about 560K below the pool amount if they want to pay the draft tax up to the 5% limit.  While they could pay Bonfield 660K without losing a 1st round pick, it won't be enough from what I have heard.  If Conforto would have signed for a couple hundred K below slot, I would have been worried, but right now, I would be shocked if Bonfield signs.

Sure Bonfield grew up a Mets fan and it is probably a dream to play for them, but he has been open about his excitement for attending Arkansas and playing at Baum if the money in the draft wasn't right.  I think we can stop worrying about him signing because he seems like the person who will hold pretty firm to a number and won't take a huge cut in signing.

OnTheHillHogFan

just announced he is not signing and coming to Arkansas! :razorback:
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Ben Steiger

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

ucahogfan

Jeff Sullivan @JSully12     ·   12m   

Luke Bonfield going to school. That type of bat doesn't make it to school often. Was a top 5 pure hitter on the showcase circuit last year!

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   19m   

I have made my decision and I have decided to by pass Pro ball for now and honor my commitment to Arkansas #WPS #OmaHogs 🐗⚾️

ricepig

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Super Hog

GREAT news!!! WPS!!!

00AR

Great signing class we're actually getting to campus this year. Woo Pig!!

hillbilly

Bonfield coming to Arkansas. Glad to be wrong on this one!

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Ray Piggers

Love the tweet from Kyle Pate "Y'all are welcome"

Maddhog

Those two (Luke and Kyle) are having a good time on Twitter with all the fans giving them love.   Excited about this class but now DVH will have some decisions to make.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Scott7703

WPS! Thankfully the mets ran out of money!

Scott7703

Quote from: Ray Piggers on June 21, 2014, 07:59:04 pm
Love the tweet from Kyle Pate "Y'all are welcome"

Big news! Kyle played a huge role here! That is for sure.

dotnet

This is awesome. McKinney, bonfield, wiggins, Rodriguez, etc... It'll be fun to have some hitting...

onebadrubi

Quote from: booogaga on June 21, 2014, 11:18:56 am
thinking the same thing. until he comes to campus i am assuming spoon will be in right field.

Haha boy did we get shown up!

josh_sec33

So we lost only one of our recruiting class?

it's a miracle. This might get fun!
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 21, 2014, 08:33:35 pm
Big news! Kyle played a huge role here! That is for sure.

Why am I thinking Pate said some things about the program in recent years that weren't so positive.  Am I making this up?

Scott7703

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 08:52:56 pm
Why am I thinking Pate said some things about the program in recent years that weren't so positive.  Am I making this up?

I've never heard anything but positives from Kyle about the university and our baseball program.

Kevin

Awesome news, finally a draft class that stays intact

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

AWESOME NEWS!  WPS!

rhog1

booogaga

It will be interesting to see what Spoon does from here.
GO HOGS!

onebadrubi

Quote from: booogaga on June 21, 2014, 10:21:56 pm
It will be interesting to see what Spoon does from here.

Now we can have that discussion!  Lol. Bonfield still has to prove he can hit the college ball.  Spoon will probably start but have Bonfield hot on his heels.  I personally think its serrano's position in the outfield that is the big worry.  If I remember from a healthy spoon, he has a + arm

Ray Piggers

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 08:52:56 pm

Pate is on his way here, and is a HUGE  reason Bonfield is coming. I just don't see him saying negative stuff about the program.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 21, 2014, 08:59:59 pm
I've never heard anything but positives from Kyle about the university and our baseball program.

Then I'm thinking of a different person, past player, that said some things after leaving the program. 

ucahogfan

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   4h   

S/O to @Kyle_Pate for everything he has helped me with and has showed me what Arkansas is all about.. He was the first one to recruit me

Pate and Bonfield playing summer ball together last summer and the bond they formed is probably the main reason why Bonfield will be in Fayetteville in the fall.  I'm glad to see something like this play out.

Jeff Sullivan @JSully12     ·   4h   

Luke Bonfield and Blake Wiggins? Wow. Some impact hitters coming into Arkansas.

Sullivan had both Bonfield and Wiggins in his top 100 HS players and maybe top 100 draft prospects.  Both are absolute studs at the plate and should make an immediate impact in 2015.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   3h   

Big news for #Arkansas: OF Luke Bonfield (Ranked No. 60 nationally), announces he'll join the #Hogs, turning down @Mets. @PerfectGameUSA

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   2h   

"One year from today we will be playing in this"- @Kyle_Pate

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   1h   

Arkansas fans are by far the best fans in college baseball... I can't wait to help the team and get em back to the CWS

hoglady

We need those bats.
Baseball season can't get here fast enough.
Very exciting to see this draft class not get decimated by MLB.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ucahogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 10:57:24 pm
Now we can have that discussion!  Lol. Bonfield still has to prove he can hit the college ball.  Spoon will probably start but have Bonfield hot on his heels.  I personally think its serrano's position in the outfield that is the big worry.  If I remember from a healthy spoon, he has a + arm
Bonfield has shown to be at least an average defender with an average arm.  He is one of the top hitters in high school and might be the best pure hitter passing up the draft in his class this year.  It's not like he lit up lower level pitching and struggled against top pitching.  He went 6-6 at PG National last year which is an invite only type deal to the top 300 or so players in the country.  He makes consistent loud contact and barrels up the ball.

Spoon has shown to be a very good defender, but struggled at the plate both years against SEC pitching whether he was healthy or injured.  I hope he comes back and has a huge year, but I think Bonfield is the better hitter right now.

Serrano might not have a position on D, but his bat can't be questioned.

ucahogfan

My sources tell me that DVH was seen in Cary, NC taking shots with Rob Childress when Bonfield tweeted out that he would be attending Arkansas and pass up the draft.  DVH was rejoicing the fact that he was getting maybe the best hitter he has signed while Childress was drinking away his sorrows about having to face a hitter the caliber of Bonfield.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2014, 11:02:59 pm
Then I'm thinking of a different person, past player, that said some things after leaving the program.
Kyle Robinson said some things on twitter last year about DVH.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

onebadrubi

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 22, 2014, 12:06:41 am
Kyle Robinson said some things on twitter last year about DVH.

That's it!  Thank you

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 21, 2014, 11:22:01 pm
Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   4h   

S/O to @Kyle_Pate for everything he has helped me with and has showed me what Arkansas is all about.. He was the first one to recruit me

Pate and Bonfield playing summer ball together last summer and the bond they formed is probably the main reason why Bonfield will be in Fayetteville in the fall.  I'm glad to see something like this play out.

Jeff Sullivan @JSully12     ·   4h   

Luke Bonfield and Blake Wiggins? Wow. Some impact hitters coming into Arkansas.

Sullivan had both Bonfield and Wiggins in his top 100 HS players and maybe top 100 draft prospects.  Both are absolute studs at the plate and should make an immediate impact in 2015.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   3h   

Big news for #Arkansas: OF Luke Bonfield (Ranked No. 60 nationally), announces he'll join the #Hogs, turning down @Mets. @PerfectGameUSA

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   2h   

"One year from today we will be playing in this"- @Kyle_Pate

Luke Bonfield @LukeBonfield     ·   1h   

Arkansas fans are by far the best fans in college baseball... I can't wait to help the team and get em back to the CWS
Man, oh man , oh man , oh man , oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man.......................gonna have to find my twitter password. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on June 22, 2014, 12:21:28 am
Man, oh man , oh man , oh man , oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man.......................gonna have to find my twitter password.

Anything other than 1234 I'd be screwed. 

Kevin

I still say there will be a shocking name or two that is not on the roster come august

Scott7703

Quote from: Kevin on June 22, 2014, 06:45:03 am
I still say there will be a shocking name or two that is not on the roster come august

The ones mentioned in this thread will both be on the team an contributing.

TNhawgfan

Man this is some good news. I can't wait to see what the lineup looks like next year come conference play
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol