Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mets/Bonfield thread

Started by Baseball Hog, June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baseball Hog

June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 am Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:16:33 pm by Baseball Hog
The Mets went on a signing spree the last 2 days and have inked every top 10 round guy except Conforto.  Although I cannot find the bonuses for several guys, here is the breakdown:

New York Mets Draft Allotment:

$5,573,000 to begin (+5%) $563,000 Remaining

-750k (+98k)
-100k (-239k)
-280k (+26k)
-300k (+200k)
-305k (-148k)
-100k (-98k)
-10k (-129k)

Currently 290k under slot values.

Draftees:

1 (10) Conforto, Michael   Oregon State (OR)   OF   L/R   JR Signed for 2.97m Slot: $2,970,800

3 (84) Ramos, Milton   American Heritage School (FL)   SS   R/R   HS Signed for 750k Slot: $651,700.

4 (115) Garcia-Pacheco, Eudor   El Paso CC (TX)   3B   R/R   J2 Signed for 305k Slot: $453,600

5 (145) Prevost, Josh   Seton Hall (NJ)   RHP   R/R   SR Signed for 100k Slot: $339,600

6 (175) Moore, Tyler   LSU (LA)   C   L/R   JR Signed for 280k Slot: $254,300

7 (205) Wieck, Brad   Oklahoma City University (OK)   LHP   L/L   JR Signed for 100k Slot: $190,600

8 (235) Winningham, Dash   Trinity Catholic HS (FL)   1B   L/L   HS Signed for ?? Slot: $159,600

9 (265) Katz, Michael   College of William and Mary (VA)   OF   R/R   JR Signed for ?? Slot: $149,000

10 (295) Secrest, Kelly   UNC - Wilmington (NC)   LHP   L/L   SR Signed for 10k Slot: $139,100

Post 10th round signings over 100k

13 Erik Manoah Jr. Signed for 300k

Baseball Hog

If anyone can dig up some numbers on the guys who have signed but I couldn't find their bonus it would be much appreciated.

booogaga

Sooooo is this good or bad for us?
GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 12, 2014, 11:38:38 am
Sooooo is this good or bad for us?

As of now things are looking pretty good.  It really looks like as long as Conforto doesn't go far under slot the Mets won't have any cash to send Bonfield.

Although I think Bonfield is VERY open to signing.  I would be scared if they could throw 500k at him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 12, 2014, 11:41:42 am
As of now things are looking pretty good.  It really looks like as long as Conforto doesn't go far under slot the Mets won't have any cash to send Bonfield.
And I just don't see Conforto giving the Mets a discount.  As I said in the draft thread, he is a Boras advisee.  When have we known Boras to allow his clients/advisees to take a discount?

Baseball Hog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2014, 11:45:08 am
And I just don't see Conforto giving the Mets a discount.  As I said in the draft thread, he is a Boras advisee.  When have we known Boras to allow his clients/advisees to take a discount?

I hear ya, but say they offer $2.5 million.  Boras and Conforto know they wouldn't get close to that amount next year if they were to decline.

Honestly, I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit, because I think he signs.  I just don't think it's a done deal.  I think Bonfield kind of wants to sign, if decent money is there.

booogaga

What is the normal $$$ number given to his draft spot? and what is the highest $$$ number ever allotted? And how much do we speculate he is demanding?
GO HOGS!

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 12, 2014, 11:48:48 am
I hear ya, but say they offer $2.5 million.  Boras and Conforto know they wouldn't get close to that amount next year if they were to decline.

Honestly, I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit, because I think he signs.  I just don't think it's a done deal.  I think Bonfield kind of wants to sign, if decent money is there.
Conforto also knows the Mets really wanted him and he could have gone as high as 4 to the Cubs.  The Mets can't afford to let him go either because they don't have a really good OF college bat in their system.

Now if Conforto signs for 2.5, I'll be worried, but I just don't see a Boras guy taking under slot money at 10.  I think Appel took slightly less than slot last year, but that was crazy money of about double what Conforto will get.

Bonfield wants to play pro ball and go to college from what I gather.  I think he will hold firm on his number.  The Conforto signing will definitely be one to watch closely.  The fact that the Mets signed someone for 300K outside the top 10 rounds makes me feel better as well.  Takes away 200K they can offer Bonfield.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 12, 2014, 11:53:22 am
What is the normal $$$ number given to his draft spot? and what is the highest $$$ number ever allotted? And how much do we speculate he is demanding?

Normal number is peanuts.

They can give him any amount left in their draft pool.  IE right now they are over by 85k.  If Conforto were to sign for 2.5 million that would give them ~400k to offer Bonfield if everyone else were to sign at exactly slot value.

The highest ever for a post 10th rounder is 750k.

ucahogfan

Quote from: booogaga on June 12, 2014, 11:53:22 am
There is no "slot value" for Bonfield's spot.  Anyone outside of the top 10 rounds can be given up to 100K without it counting against the bonus pool.  There have been players who have gotten 700-750K outside the top 10 rounds with the new rules, but those have been players drafted in the 11th/12th round or so.  I think the highest bonus outside of like the 12th round or so with the new rules is 400K.

And from what I have heard, it will take around 750K to make Bonfield interested.

Scott7703

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 12, 2014, 11:41:42 am

Although I think Bonfield is VERY open to signing.  I would be scared if they could throw 500k at him.

A lot will have to change for 500k to get it done. I'll be shocked if Luke signs for anything less than 750k.

Edit: uca beat me to it.

booogaga

Sounds encouraging for us then. Aren't the Mets the home town team though? Maybe they think they can get a discount.
GO HOGS!

Maddhog

Bonfield is enjoying having his friends complimenting him on the draft. They all appear to be big Mets fans.   I believe he had rather sign than not sign at this point but I don't have a feel for what his parents will advise.   I would think they had rather see him in school unless the bonus is unusually large.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Brewerfan10

Baseball Hog/UCA, any way you guys could start a thread like this for Hengtes (sp) too?

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Maddhog on June 12, 2014, 12:48:23 pm
Bonfield is enjoying having his friends complimenting him on the draft. They all appear to be big Mets fans.   I believe he had rather sign than not sign at this point but I don't have a feel for what his parents will advise.   I would think they had rather see him in school unless the bonus is unusually large.   

Yeah, he just favorited a tweet saying someone hopes the Mets sign one of the "big 3".

Maddhog

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 12, 2014, 06:28:11 pm
Yeah, he just favorited a tweet saying someone hopes the Mets sign one of the "big 3".

Yeah and he's got to be torn.   Prior to the draft he was all about Arkansas but there's a different vibe now.  If it just hadn't been the Mets .....  Kyle Pate is working on him, though.  :)

Scott7703

If they pay him he is gone. If they keep toying around and don't pay him he is gonna be a razorback.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 12, 2014, 09:05:53 pm
If they pay him he is gone. If they keep toying around and don't pay him he is gonna be a razorback.
This.  His first tweet after being drafted was how excited he was being drafted by his hometown team, but it was going to take a lot of money for him to sign.  I won't be upset if he sticks to his number.  Now if he signs below his number (Robbie Ray style), I feel like we have every reason to be upset.

Baseball Hog

Mets are up to about 350k they could pay Bonfield after getting a discount for Garcia-Pacheco.

I'm getting a worse and worse feeling about this.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 13, 2014, 12:09:35 pm
Mets are up to about 350k they could pay Bonfield after getting a discount for Garcia-Pacheco.

I'm getting a worse and worse feeling about this.
It all comes down to Conforto.  He has to give the Mets a pretty big discount to have the room to sign Bonfield IMO.

ucahogfan

Callis reporting Weick signed for 100K and Secrest signed for 10K.

Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB     ·   47s   

In order, $280k, $100k, $10k. @SotoC803: What about Moore, Weick, and Secrest. All 3 are listed on @BKCyclones roster @MLBDraft @Mets

Baseball Hog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2014, 12:15:24 pm
It all comes down to Conforto.  He has to give the Mets a pretty big discount to have the room to sign Bonfield IMO.

Honestly even if he doesn't they could still sign him.  They could and will probably get a 100k break on Secrest.  Get 100k break between rounds 7-9 combined and that puts them at close to 600k without Conforto.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 13, 2014, 12:20:18 pm
Honestly even if he doesn't they could still sign him.  They could and will probably get a 100k break on Secrest.  Get 100k break between rounds 7-9 combined and that puts them at close to 600k without Conforto.
I think they need at least 750K to sign Bonfield.

They might be targeting Ramirez who might be an easier sign with a lower number.

Baseball Hog

Close to 600k available to give to Bonfield now.

We better hope Conforto takes every penny of slot.

I'm officially feeling bad about this now.

ucahogfan

Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB     ·   47m   

$100k. NYM saved $517,500 in rds 3-10. Spent $300k on 13th-rder Erik Manoah. @tpgMets: how about 9th-rder Michael Katz? @MLBDraft @Mets

Based on this, it is safe to assume that Dash Winningham signed for right around slot without seeing the actual number.

ucahogfan

Luke Bonfield
‏@LukeBonfield   To Be Honest Arkansas probably has the nicest people in the country and the best fans hands down #JustSaying

Scott7703

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 13, 2014, 12:26:25 pm
Close to 600k available to give to Bonfield now.

We better hope Conforto takes every penny of slot.

I'm officially feeling bad about this now.

That number is getting scary close to the number I believe it will take to lure Luke away.

Baseball Hog

So I guess if Callis is right then it breaks down like this:

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2014, 01:16:07 pm
Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB     ·   47m   

NYM saved $517,500 in rds 3-10.

+517k -98k -200k = $298k under slot + 265k (5% over) =  $563k to spend (pending Conforto)

SPAL

I truly think the kid is torn. I would feel better if this weren't the mets.

Maddhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2014, 09:55:48 pm
I truly think the kid is torn. I would feel better if this weren't the mets.

Me too.   

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 15, 2014, 09:46:41 am
Updates?

It's probably going to be slow going until the deadline.

My math says the Mets have ~563k to spend.  Conforto is their only top pick that is unsigned and he could very well go to the 23rd hour.  All we can hope for is that Conforto demands every penny of his slot.

At this point Bonfield is going to have his choice if he wants to go pro or not.  He WILL get offered a good chunk of money.  That number is going to be anywhere from 250k-1 million.

I hope that the Mets value Raf Ramirez very high as well.  It could come down to either Bonfield or him.

hillbilly

I think Bonfield really wants to sign and go pro. I was optimistic in the beginning, but not so much anymore. I think he is gone.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hillbilly on June 15, 2014, 06:50:02 pm
I think Bonfield really wants to sign and go pro. I was optimistic in the beginning, but not so much anymore. I think he is gone.
Bonfield also really wants to come to Arkansas.  First thing he tweeted out after being drafted was about how it was going to take a lot of money to sign him.  I think the Mets are almost there and if Conforto signs for anything less than slot, the Mets will have enough for Bonfield.

Conforto being a Boras client makes me feel better because I don't think he will take less than slot.  If anything, Conforto might try to get Schwarber money (3.125M) because they were rated very similarly entering the draft.

I still feel really good about getting Bonfield to campus until I hear the number Conforto signs for.  I would be shocked if Bonfield signs before Conforto.

Sueie

Me too.
But as for Spoon not having a spot in the outfield if he returned.  Who do you all think the 3 outfielders would be next year? I say Benitendi, Spoon and Eagan/Serrano. Bonfiled will have to prove it at the college level before I would just "hand it to him".  I do not care what he did in high school.  Where did he play summer ball at?  That is why I KNEW Benitendi would start from day one.  Competition only makes you better.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 15, 2014, 08:35:01 pm
Me too.
But as for Spoon not having a spot in the outfield if he returned.  Who do you all think the 3 outfielders would be next year? I say Benitendi, Spoon and Eagan/Serrano. Bonfiled will have to prove it at the college level before I would just "hand it to him".  I do not care what he did in high school.  Where did he play summer ball at?  That is why I KNEW Benitendi would start from day one.  Competition only makes you better.
Bonfield lit up the top pitchers last year.  He went 6-6 at PG National.  That is nearly unheard of.  He is the best pure hitter we will have (should he make it) since Cox.  I think he is a higher level hitter than a healthy Fico.  He consistently squared up the top pitching in his class last summer.

Benintendi is locked down in one of the OF spots.  The other two should be filled by a combo of Eagan, Serrano, Bonfield, Spoon, and Benninghoff.

hillbilly

I don't think Spoon is making any decisions based on the fact that he might not think he will play next year. That's a loser mentality and one that I really doubt a kid has who has started the last 2 years for good baseball teams has.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: hillbilly on June 15, 2014, 10:01:00 pm
I don't think Spoon is making any decisions based on the fact that he might not think he will play next year. That's a loser mentality and one that I really doubt a kid has who has started the last 2 years for good baseball teams has.

I think it's probably more like DVH saying "I'll know if I have any scholly to give you once Bonfield makes his decision."

SPAL

Of course he does, That's the dream.

Baseball Hog

At this point I'm saying it's 80/20 he signs.

I think our only chance is if the Mets just don't prioritize him, which I don't see happening.

Baseball Hog

Looks like the Mets have all but signed Conforto.  We'll be hearing his bonus in the next couple days.  That's bad news for us.

Kevin

looks like dvh was right.  he will get his money & have to make a decision. either way move forward.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 16, 2014, 10:12:27 am
Looks like the Mets have all but signed Conforto.  We'll be hearing his bonus in the next couple days.  That's bad news for us.
Why is it bad news?  Conforto is the last player that will be signed by the Mets in the top 10 rounds and maybe they want to get it over with.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 15, 2014, 07:20:51 pm
Bonfield also really wants to come to Arkansas. First thing he tweeted out after being drafted was about how it was going to take a lot of money to sign him.

Well, I could argue that this is "recruit-speak", much like coaches use "coach speak" when they're being pursued.  To me, that comment sounds like nothing more than a negotiating salvo aimed squarely at the Mets.

If I was in his shoes, and pretty much set on attending "State U", I'd tweet something more like "can't wait to get to Fayetteville and start preparing for the SEC Championship" instead of talking about what it would take to stop me from going there.

Not being critical of the kid - he's got EVERY right to go whichever way he wants to.  I'm just reading the tea leaves objectively.

ucahogfan

Baseball Hog,

Is that 3.728M in the OP include Winnningham's and Katz's bonuses?  It doesn't seem like they do, but just wanted to make sure.  I think when all is said and done, the Mets will need 650K left in their pool to have a chance to sign Bonfield.

Ramirez was the higher round pick (18 to 21) so maybe the Mets make a run at him first because they know his number might be lower than Bonfield's number.  I do think the picture will be extremely clear after we hear Conforto's bonus.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 16, 2014, 11:05:36 am
I do think the picture will be extremely clear after we hear Conforto's bonus.

I don't think so.  The Mets drafted 10 other players after the top ten rounds that they are in a similar position with.  I'm sure some of those are senior signs or juco's who want to go.  But they could easily have 700k to spend and choose to use it on someone besides Bonfield.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 16, 2014, 10:48:36 am
Why is it bad news?  Conforto is the last player that will be signed by the Mets in the top 10 rounds and maybe they want to get it over with.

I think it's bad news because the Mets wouldn't accept a number they didn't like at this point.  What's the rush for them.  If Conforto said he wanted every penny of slot, I feel like the Mets would have used the next month to try to knock him off that number a little bit.

I think it was probably more like the Mets gave a number, Conforto said he wanted slot, then they met in the middle a little bit.

I updated the money reminaed, I hadn't figured in those last 2 yet.

dotnet

I see what you're saying, but I don't think this is true... especially this year. 

Almost everyone in the first round had "discussions" before the draft about what players would sign for - including boras guys.  The Mets, roughly, knew exactly what would it would take to sign him before they selected him.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dotnet on June 16, 2014, 11:26:46 am
I see what you're saying, but I don't think this is true... especially this year. 

Almost everyone in the first round had "discussions" before the draft about what players would sign for - including boras guys.  The Mets, roughly, knew exactly what would it would take to sign him before they selected him.

I agree on the fact that the Mets knew the number that Conforto wanted.

But the Mets will pull the card "aren't you ready to get that big check", "don't you want to hurry and get on your rookie team so you can advance more quickly?"

These things seem petty but When a kid is about to get well over 2 million, sometimes they'll budge a couple hundred thousand just to get the ball rolling.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 16, 2014, 11:26:46 am

The bolded part is what matters.  We have learned that Boras doesn't let his guys take discounts even if it means they have to wait until June to sign.

I truly feel like if the Mets wanted to make a legit run at Bonfield, they wouldn't have signed a guy outside of the top 10 rounds for 300K.  They might be working to sign Ramirez and a couple of other guys that want more than 100K, but not Bonfield money.  They might be going for quantity over quality.