Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgey-Davidson

Knicks new HC. 5 yr/ 5 mil contract!

yraciv

chiefhawg

Derek may need some luck but he darn sure is not poor. $25M

Wild Bill Hog

secfan30

I haven't cared about the NBA since Jordan retired and haven't had a favorite team since Dr J left. That may change now

Dr. Starcs

So you didnt care while he played and won multiple titles but are now that he's a coach?

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2014, 09:57:26 pm
So you didnt care while he played and won multiple titles but are now that he's a coach?
:)

lwillin

Congrats to him. Coaching the Knicks is a tall order for anyone, especially for a rookie coach (and I'm a Knicks fan).

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on June 10, 2014, 08:43:36 pm
Knicks new HC. 5 yr/ 5 mil contract!

If he does "anything" with that team that constitutes success he needs a raise immediately, 5 years/25 mil is not enough to Coach that mess of a team.  I wouldn't wish Coaching the Knicks on my worst enemy.  Best wishes Derek, you're gonna need it buddy.

Ironhawg

Wow.  That is a tough situation for a first time head coach.

HF#1

I expected better from Phil Jackson.  Terrible hire really.  Fisher is a great guy and had a storybook career but that doesn't translate to being a head coach. Maybe it'll work out but I wouldn't bet on it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

fortsmithokie

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 17, 2014, 06:44:32 pm
I expected better from Phil Jackson.  Terrible hire really.  Fisher is a great guy and had a storybook career but that doesn't translate to being a head coach. Maybe it'll work out but I wouldn't bet on it.

Not sure it's a terrible hire. Jackson gets a clean slate with Fisher and Fisher played on five championship teams with the Lakers, coached by Jackson. If he couldn't get Steve Kerr, to me it makes sense he goes after another disciple of the triangle.

HF#1

Quote from: fortsmithokie on June 17, 2014, 09:20:41 pm
Not sure it's a terrible hire. Jackson gets a clean slate with Fisher and Fisher played on five championship teams with the Lakers, coached by Jackson. If he couldn't get Steve Kerr, to me it makes sense he goes after another disciple of the triangle.

What's the success rate of players coming straight off the court to become head coaches these days?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorPiggie

Not a Fisher fan. He's a pansy.

Big Nasty 34

Is fisher the first arkansas native nba head coach?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 18, 2014, 02:27:13 pm

No he's not. He'll go get rebounds for being such a small guy.

jgphillips3

It's very rare that a great player becomes a great coach.  However, a lot of decent players who were good students of the game have become good coaches...including Phil Jackson.  I bet Fisher will do just fine.  To be honest, NY can't get much worse so he'll improve them almost by default with his mentor guiding him.

hoglady

I watched almost every home game Fisher played in for UALR and I can assure you a pansy he is not. While in the NBA he did acquire the art of taking a charge with little contact and getting the call most of the time. To me that's just smart, heads up basketball.
I just do not understand any Arkansan not liking Fisher and being proud for him. He has managed to have an outstanding NBA career, is respected by players and coaches, never been in any trouble (with drugs, the law or women).
Wish the NBA was full of Derek Fishers.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

yraciv

Quote from: hoglady on July 09, 2014, 10:10:15 am
I watched almost every home game Fisher played in for UALR and I can assure you a pansy he is not. While in the NBA he did acquire the art of taking a charge with little contact and getting the call most of the time. To me that's just smart, heads up basketball.
I just do not understand any Arkansan not liking Fisher and being proud for him. He has managed to have an outstanding NBA career, is respected by players and coaches, never been in any trouble (with drugs, the law or women).
Wish the NBA was full of Derek Fishers.

I agree that he is not a pansy, a good guy, & plays smart fundamental basketball. That being said, I'm from Arkansas and don't necessarily care for him.  I never saw him play in Little Rock, he never donned a Razorback jersey, and the majority of his career was spent playing for my lest favorite NBA team.  That certainly made it tough for me to invest in  his pro career.  And he keeps jumping to teams I don't like.  The one team I don't care for in the East is the New York Knicks.

hoglady

Quote from: yraciv on July 09, 2014, 12:09:20 pm
I agree that he is not a pansy, a good guy, & plays smart fundamental basketball. That being said, I'm from Arkansas and don't necessarily care for him.  I never saw him play in Little Rock, he never donned a Razorback jersey, and the majority of his career was spent playing for my lest favorite NBA team.  That certainly made it tough for me to invest in  his pro career.  And he keeps jumping to teams I don't like.  The one team I don't care for in the East is the New York Knicks.

I can understand that.
I am a Boston Celtics fan - I grew up hating the Knicks (basically anything and everything New York sports).
But I will forego my NY hate and hope Fisher succeeds.
Now, if it was baseball and the Yankee's forget it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

secfan30

Guessing you've never met the guy

secfan30

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2014, 09:57:26 pm

No, when I did care I never really liked the lakers which is where he won all those championships.

A little rock Arkansas boy being the coach of a New York professional team is a big deal worth watching to me.

East Clintwood

I was happy for him as long as it looked like Carmello was leaving.  With him on the team they're doomed to just miss or barely make the playoffs.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

AWHAWG

July 19, 2014, 11:34:42 am #23 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:21:27 pm by AWHAWG
I taught Derek he is a winner and has always been a great ambassador for our state!  He was the under rated player on great Parkview team that had a great coach (Ripley) he played for a hall of fame coach that was sort of successful. He understands what it's like to make it in a major media market and play with premadona type players and be the glue that holds the team together. Derek is one smart savvy type of guy.
Proud of him. He was also a pretty good trumpet player.

Dr. Starcs

Hope you didn't teach English class.

RazorPiggie

Was talking about the way he left Dallas. If the Going gets tough keys retire to get out of it then a few weeks later unretire so he could get on a contending team. THAT'S a pansy move in my opinion.

1highhog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 05, 2014, 01:54:51 pm
Is fisher the first arkansas native nba head coach?

As far as I know he is.  We all know Walker has been a Head Coach, and a pretty good one with some bad teams, but he's not a native of Arkansas.  Moncrief I think will always be an assistant, I don't think he has it to be a Head Coach.

AWHAWG

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 19, 2014, 12:03:34 pm
Hope you didn't teach English class.
thank you my friend. You have hurt my feelings.