Previous topic - Next topic

poloprince

Home and home vs Missouri, Ole Miss, Ms St, South Carolina, and Tenn

Home games vs Bama, LSU, Georgia, and aTm

Road games @ Kentucky, Florida, Auburn, and Vandy

I predict a minimum of 12 conference wins, possibly 14.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

TomBigBeeHog

June 08, 2014, 06:05:31 pm #1 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:42:45 am by TomBigBeeHog
Quote from: poloprince on June 08, 2014, 03:37:45 pm

13-5 in conference. Losses to Kentucky, Ole Miss, Florida, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

we will win one of the three games with Clemson, SMU, or Iowa State.

Win 2 SEC tournament games.

Finish 25-8.

10 seed in the dance.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Why do we get Vandy on the road for the 2nd straight year?

-Blu

Got a pretty favorable schedule if your looking for wins.  Only play Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, and LSU once, which will be the best teams in the conference.  We should sweep Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Tennessee.  I could see us splitting with South Carolina. 

I predict at this time 13 conference wins.

Hawg Red

There is potential there to win the most conference games since the runner-up year in '95 (yes, I know we play two more games now). We have a great chance at winning around 25 games this upcoming season. Now, obviously I'm not saying we'll have that kind of season, but there is the potential to be the best team since the '96 Sweet 16 team.

The_Iceman

With this schedule and our roster, make the NCAA Tournament or I am done with Mike Anderson.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 10, 2014, 02:54:58 pm
With this schedule and our roster, make the NCAA Tournament or I am done with Mike Anderson.

Would be almost impossible to defend not making the tournament if this team stays in tact with no real injuries.

But he'll get it done. We'll be in the tournament.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 10, 2014, 03:02:40 pm
Would be almost impossible to defend not making the tournament if this team stays in tact with no real injuries.

But he'll get it done. We'll be in the tournament.

Wow.  This tells you how far the program has fallen.  I remember a time when we were speculating on how high a seed we would get in the tournament,  and I'm talking 1-5 not 10-16.  Now we consider just making the dance a big step forward.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Ironhawg on June 10, 2014, 03:19:02 pm
Wow.  This tells you how far the program has fallen.  I remember a time when we were speculating on how high a seed we would get in the tournament,  and I'm talking 1-5 not 10-16.  Now we consider just making the dance a big step forward.

Unfortunately, that's where we are right now. It has gotten that bad. All that can be done is to continue to raise the bar.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 10, 2014, 03:21:49 pm
Unfortunately, that's where we are right now. It has gotten that bad. All that can be done is to continue to raise the bar.

This exactly.  I'll be interested to see what MA and team can get done this coming season.   I'll also be interested to  see how recruiting goes. 

The_Iceman

If we get to the tournament, I believe Arkansas will become a trendy, nationally popular program. We'll start getting talked about on the college basketball shows, Mike will be getting interviews on national programs, and our exciting brand of basketball will be shown on highlights. Interest in recruiting will start to spike, and unlike Petrino, Mike will take advantage on the recruiting trail and set this program up for years of future success.

However, if we fail to capitalize on this schedule and roster, I feel it may be it for our program. It will take a coaching change and catching lighning in a bottle with the next hire to return to relevance. Folks, we have barely even been relevant in the last 15 years.

Most of these players growing up in Arkansas haven't seen Arkansas in the Big Dance, so they root for other schools like Duke, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. That's why we've been losing out on these instate recruits. If Arkansas was a Top 25 program going to the Big Dance every year, players like Archie Goodwin, KeVaughn Allen, and possibly even Malik Monk wouldn't be leaving the state.

This 2015 season is the most important season in 15+ years.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 10, 2014, 04:44:20 pm
If we get to the tournament, I believe Arkansas will become a trendy, nationally popular program. We'll start getting talked about on the college basketball shows, Mike will be getting interviews on national programs, and our exciting brand of basketball will be shown on highlights. Interest in recruiting will start to spike, and unlike Petrino, Mike will take advantage on the recruiting trail and set this program up for years of future success.

We'll need to do more than just 'get to the Dance' in order for all that to happen.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 10, 2014, 04:53:55 pm
We'll need to do more than just 'get to the Dance' in order for all that to happen.

True, for that to be the case long term over the next year or two. But also immediately after the announcement of us making the dance, I think we could see a couple of days before that first tournament game where this program becomes a very popular topic nationally considering Mike and the history here. That exposure will be good even if it is short lived.

This team definitely has the talent to make a run like Tennessee did last year. I'm not demanding that to happen, but it is more possible than it has been in a long time. Madden, Qualls, and Portis are a solid Big 3 for us. Then add pieces like Bell, Harris, Kingsley, and Jacorey along with newcomers Miles, Beard, and Durham. That's one of the best rosters in the SEC outside of Kentucky.

Wild Bill Hog

The talent is there.  No doubt about it.

HouseOfHam

The SEC schedule sets up nicely, I expect 12-14 conference wins. In total we should win 26 or so games. Anywhere between a 4-8 seed is my guess. Basketball season can't get here soon enough.

ifghog

I have to agree with you man. I have been a CMA fan but this is the year. All his players and a favorable schedule. If he doesn't get us in the dance this year I am afraid he isn't the guy. Just so you know I do want him to be the guy.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ifghog on June 11, 2014, 08:42:18 am
If he doesn't get us in the dance this year I am afraid he isn't the guy. Just so you know I do want him to be the guy.

Let's take this scenario a step further since a couple of you have drawn lines in the sand. What if we make the tournament and lose our first game? Will that be enough to qualify as a 'good' season?

Yes, we will have finally made the Dance for the first time in seven seasons, which is indeed something to be happy about. Yet considering that, both internally and among a large group of fans, the program was expected to make the Dance last season, does that raise expectations to do a more than simply make the Dance this season?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

nextlevel

Mike Anderson - Set the bar, wait he's clearing it? Raise the bar immediately.

Pelphrey - Throw the bar to the ground and hope he can step over it.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on June 11, 2014, 10:07:10 am

Pelphrey - Throw the bar to the ground and hope he can step over it.

You mad bro? I'm simply asking others about their opinions.

Keep crying.

nextlevel

Anderson - Hey guys we are a 6 seed in the tourney, so should we expect to make the final four or should be looking for a new coach after the tourney?

Pelphrey - Hey guys, we just finished 14-18 which is so much improvement over 14-16, I am excited about the direction the program is heading, don't say a bad word about the lack luster job by the HC, because recruits.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on June 11, 2014, 10:17:34 am
Anderson - Hey guys we are a 6 seed in the tourney, so should we expect to make the final four or should be looking for a new coach after the tourney?

Pelphrey - Hey guys, we just finished 14-18 which is so much improvement over 14-16, I am excited about the direction the program is heading, don't say a bad word about the lack luster job by the HC, because recruits.

Heath - Hey guys, remember me?

Boo hoo...poor nextlevel.

The_Iceman

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 10:35:58 am
Heath - Hey guys, remember me?

Seems the only thing Heath and Anderson share in common was your dislike for both while you championed for Pelphrey.

Odd.

ell oh ell

Fayettechill14

Cosigned... But I'm not worried in the least. I am fully confident that by the last weekend of the regular season, we'll be mad at Lunardi because he had us as a 9-seed in his latest bracket and we all know we deserve much more.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 09:31:56 am
Let's take this scenario a step further since a couple of you have drawn lines in the sand. What if we make the tournament and lose our first game? Will that be enough to qualify as a 'good' season?

Yes, we will have finally made the Dance for the first time in seven seasons, which is indeed something to be happy about. Yet considering that, both internally and among a large group of fans, the program was expected to make the Dance last season, does that raise expectations to do a more than simply make the Dance this season?

Given the underclass talent on the roster plus the talent coming through, making the tournament is the only requirement for me this year. Just getting back is worth such a huge boost, although I'd really like to win a game.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on June 11, 2014, 10:42:20 am
Seems the only thing Heath and Anderson share in common was your dislike for both while you championed for Pelphrey.

Odd.

Only in your cynical, jaded little mind. You liked the program Heath had built at the end of his tenure? The impending academic doom, the constant in-fighting among the players and lack of discipline? That's interesting to know.

You simply resort to inferring racism as you obviously can't discuss the Hogs like a mature adult. It's ok though. I'm used to your old, tired ways.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 11, 2014, 10:44:04 am
Given the underclass talent on the roster plus the talent coming through, making the tournament is the only requirement for me this year. Just getting back is worth such a huge boost, although I'd really like to win a game.

Hey Nextlevel, look up...that's how it's done.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 11, 2014, 10:37:45 am
Don't sleep on Bruce Pearl at Auburn:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11065676/antoine-mason-transferring-auburn-tigers-niagara-purple-eagles

He is quietly adding some talent down there.

He will have them relevant soon. And they will be a tough win this coming season, I'd imagine.

azhog10

Making the tournament isn't going to get any easier than this year. However, I do think we are overlooking things a little. USCe will be a very good team, I even think UGA will be an even better team this next year, Auburn is only going to be better with Pearl, Vandy won't have two bad season in a row, and there will always be a surprise team either MSU or maybe even a Bama or Mizzou (I don't see it, but it could happen). I really think the SEC is raising it's talent as a whole. I will be shocked if we receive our normal 3 or 4 bids again this year.

All that said Arkansas should be in prime position to finish in the top 3 in the SEC. But I'm sure that if we slide to 4th that CMA will be pounded into submission by most here in this forum. I hope the facility gets built as soon as it possibly can so there aren't any excuses for anyone on this board, myself included. This is the year the rubber meets the road and it's time to start putting out a product we can consistently be happy with.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 11, 2014, 10:44:04 am

Worst case scenario, after the 2014-2015 season we could lose Harris (graduation), Madden (graduation), Qualls (pro-ball), and Portis (NBA). Leaving us a roster of:

PG: Beard / Durham
SG: Bell / Babb / Hannahs
SF: Miles
PF: Williams
C: Kingsley / Thompson

That leaves 4 spots to fill in the 2015 class. That roster right there isn't going to make it back to the NCAA tournament without some help from either Portis/Qualls returning or a solid 2015 class, which hasn't developed so far.

So for me, 2015 is important both in terms of success on the court and in recruiting.

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 11:02:45 am
Only in your cynical, jaded little mind. You liked the program Heath had built at the end of his tenure? The impending academic doom, the constant in-fighting among the players and lack of discipline? That's interesting to know.

You simply resort to inferring racism as you obviously can't discuss the Hogs like a mature adult. It's ok though. I'm used to your old, tired ways.

Inferring racism? That is how you read that?

Odd.

More like being overly critical and cynical of coaches who have achieved a moderate amount of success with the program compared to championing a coach who did his best to pound the program into submission. 

But continue on with your concern trolling on the topic of Mike Anderson.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on June 11, 2014, 11:16:02 am
Inferring racism? That is how you read that?

Odd.

More like being overly critical and cynical of coaches who have achieved a moderate amount of success with the program compared to championing a coach who did his best to pound the program into submission. 

But continue on with your concern trolling on the topic of Mike Anderson.

Ironhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 10, 2014, 04:44:20 pm

However, if we fail to capitalize on this schedule and roster, I feel it may be it for our program. It will take a coaching change and catching lighning in a bottle with the next hire to return to relevance. Folks, we have barely even been relevant in the last 15 years.

Most of these players growing up in Arkansas haven't seen Arkansas in the Big Dance, so they root for other schools like Duke, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. That's why we've been losing out on these instate recruits. If Arkansas was a Top 25 program going to the Big Dance every year, players like Archie Goodwin, KeVaughn Allen, and possibly even Malik Monk wouldn't be leaving the state.

This 2015 season is the most important season in 15+ years.

I kind of wonder if MA is not going to be the guy to get Arkansas back onto the national stage, but if he is maybe the guy before the guy?  I am just not sure about the ability of MA and staff to recruit at a high enough level to get Arkansas to be a top 10-15 type program.  I believe he will get Arkansas back to winning regularly, I'm just not sure how much.

-Blu

GuvHog

Quote from: nextlevel on June 11, 2014, 10:07:10 am

I do agree. With all of the talent on this years team plus the incoming talent, it is indeed time to raise the bar:

15-3 in conference play with losses @Kentucky, @Florida, and @South Carolina (the Hogs rarely play well there and Frank Martin can coach). I believe they'll make it to at least the SEC Tournament Semi-Finals and get a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. This should be Mike's year to really shine.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 11, 2014, 11:30:58 am
I do agree. With all of the talent on this years team plus the incoming talent, it is indeed time to raise the bar:

15-3 in conference play with losses @Kentucky, @Florida, and @South Carolina (the Hogs rarely play well there and Frank Martin can coach). I believe they'll make it to at least the SEC Tournament Semi-Finals and get a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. This should be Mike's year to really shine.

13-5... sec semi's ... 8 seed

-Blu

Well... since it's been confirmed we're on the road to start conference play against Georgia, I take it this list isn't accurate.