Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 First Year Player Draft

Started by ucahogfan, June 04, 2014, 05:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRyan

Quote from: Reesedogg000 on June 05, 2014, 05:18:42 pm
Recently we have lost the following high school players to the draft.

2012:

D'Vone McClure(4th round Indians)

Buttrey and Stankiewicz weren't real surprises being big arms and early rounds but losing McCall and McClure who were big bats we needed since we already had pitching hurt us really bad plus they later rounds especially McCall. McClure was from Jacksonville, AR but in the end the home state didn't matter compared to the Indians checkbook.

Was McClure considered that big of a bat?  I thought the deal with him was his potential.  His minor league stats are awful. 

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 09:54:05 pm
And the Kirby is a top 5 type pick next year.  They probably have 6-7 1st round type picks on that team.

And still , people were raising havoc because we lost to them.

ucahogfan

It looks like the Cubs are going to take some signing risks with their lower picks.  Selected Kyle Schwarber #4 overall and Jake Stinnett #45 overall who is a senior.  Definitely should be on the lookout from here on out.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2014, 09:57:19 pm
And still , people were raising havoc because we lost to them.
I'm convinced we could lose to a MLB team and still some people would gripe.

SPAL

Jacob Lindgren LHP from miss st. taken (55)to the Yankees.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 10:00:14 pm
It looks like the Cubs are going to take some signing risks with their lower picks.  Selected Kyle Schwarber #4 overall and Jake Stinnett #45 overall who is a senior.  Definitely should be on the lookout from here on out.
It's the Cubs man.  They don't know what they are doing

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 05, 2014, 10:27:36 pm
I wouldn't be too sure about that anymore with Theo running the show.

Schwarber probably has a 60-65 power grade and will probably only have the 4th or 5th most power in that system.  That offense is going to be potent in a couple of years.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2014, 10:23:57 pm
Jacob Lindgren LHP from miss st. taken (55)to the Yankees.
Filthy, filthy slider.  Struck out 100 in 55.0 IP this year.  That's Craig Kimbrel territory.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 10:30:33 pm
Filthy, filthy slider.  Struck out 100 in 55.0 IP this year.  That's Craig Kimbrel territory.

Ridiculous

ucahogfan

The Tigers select Alabama RHP Spencer Turnbull with the 63rd overall pick.

Waldron_Hog

California high school baseball is frickin loaded with talent.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 09:24:17 pm
The last pick of the first round is Jack Flaherty out of the LA area in California.  He is a RHP who doesn't have electric stuff, but the best command in high school.  He is a UNC commit with a supposed price tag of 2.5 M.  The Cards selected him.

He could develop into a top of the rotation type guy with the proper development which is expected in the Cardinals farm system.
To built on this, the Cards selected UC Irvine Senior RHP Andrew Morales presumably to save some money to sign Flaherty.  He is worthy of a 2nd round pick, but it is a good way to save money.

ucahogfan

With the 74th overall pick and final selection of Day 1, the Seattle Mariners select Toronto HS OF Gareth Morgan.

No Hogs or signees selected on Day 1.

Baseball Hog

Unscathed through day 1.  Lets hope we don't hear some familiar recruit names for a few hours tomorrow.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ucahogfan

The losers in college of Day 1 in the draft:

North Carolina (6) - Braxton Davidson, Forrest Wall, Cameron Varga, Mitch Keller, Jack Flaherty, Joe Gatto

Vanderbilt (4) - Touki Toussaint, Justus Sheffield, Cody Reed, Isan Diaz

Florida State (2) - Nick Gordon, Sean Reid-Foley

Oregon (2) - Alex Jackson, Derek Hill

Arizona State (3) - Marcus Wilson, Alex Verdugo, Ryan Castellani

UCLA (2) - Brady Aiken, Grant Hockin

Ole Miss (2) - Foster Griffin, Ti'quan Forbes

Only 3 teams in the top 10 according to PG didn't have a signee drafted today: LSU (6), Arkansas (9), and Oregon State (10).

jry04

Mississippi State's top recruit was drafted today, so that is good news.

Kevin

Good first day. Hope it continues
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Break & Run

AJ Reed going to Houston is huge! I'm a big Astros fan, wishing they'd speed up the rebuilding they've been doing the last 6 years. Lol
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Oklahawg

UCA, a hit o' the hat. You do fantastic work with baseball.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PurpleBullHog

So long as they don't take Keyshawn Johnson they should be alright. 

dotnet

I agree with uca... The cubs will probably take some long shots with picks 8-13... And hope to sign three of them. They'll have a ton of slot money left.

Hopefully they take lsu signees instead of arkansas.

Razorhawg09

Cubs are gonna try for Bukauskus I bet. FO has a strategy of cornering the market on power bats and Schwarber adds to that. That offense is gonna be filthy once Bryant, Baez and Soler show up.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on June 06, 2014, 08:26:16 am
Cubs are gonna try for Bukauskus I bet. FO has a strategy of cornering the market on power bats and Schwarber adds to that. That offense is gonna be filthy once Bryant, Baez and Soler show up.
Bukauskas does seem like the ultimate prize left.  94-98 MPH fastball topping at 100 means he has the potential to be a front-line starter which is something that the Cubs lack.  He is also supposed to be a junior in high school and doesn't turn 18 until October so he is the youngest player in his class this year.  The Cubs could take more time to develop him and develop his off speed which are lagging behind his fastball.  He re-classified to get to North Carolina a year earlier, but saw the velo bump.  He told scouts that he wants to go to school, but I think the Cubs could put together an enticing package.  Let's assume they take him with their 3rd round pick:

Schwarber's slot value - $4,621,200
Stinnett's slot value - $1,250,400
3rd Round slot value - $714,900

I think they can sign Schwarber for 3.1 M as the next highest he was projected to go was #10 to the Mets.  They save 1.5 M on that pick.  I think they sign Stinnett for no more than 250 K to save at least 1 M on that pick.  That is 2.5 M saved from their first 2 picks IMO.  Add that to 750 K and you can offer Bukauskas 3.25 M with ease.  Does anyone honestly believe he will turn down top 10 money?  Not saying it will happen, but it makes a lot of sense.

And the Cubs will have a scary collection of power bats.  Bryant and Baez both have a 70 power tool which is like 3 and 4 in the minors behind Sano of the Twins and Gallo of the Rangers while Soler and Schwarber both have a 65 power tool.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 07:01:50 am
I agree with uca... The cubs will probably take some long shots with picks 8-13... And hope to sign three of them. They'll have a ton of slot money left.

Hopefully they take lsu signees instead of arkansas.
I really hope the hypothetical situation I threw out in my last post is what happens.  It would make me feel better.

LSU does have a couple of high level players signed out of Illinois this year so the Cubs could target the home-grown guys.

ucahogfan

MLB Draft Day 2 Preview
Rounds 3-10 will take place via conference call today and can be heard on mlb.com.  It should be somewhat quick fire because that is how the MLB likes to conduct their draft.  I think we get our 40 rounds done quicker than the NFL gets their 7 rounds done.

Last night was the first time that the Hogs didn't have a player selected in the top 2 rounds since 2009.  It was a little shocking as both Chris Oliver and Brian Anderson could have come off the board, but neither did.  I think we see 3 Hogs come off the board today in those two and Jalen Beeks.  I would be shocked if any of those three are available after today and shocked if another Hog is selected in the top 10 rounds.

Last night was also the first time that the Hogs didn't have a signee selected in the top 2 rounds for the first time in a long time.  There is still a lot of money on the board if teams play their picks wisely.  Keaton McKinney, Luke Bonfield, Nathan Rodriguez, Sam Hentges, Jonah Patten, Blake Wiggins, and Keith Grieshaber are all potential options who could be drafted today.  I feel like if we get to Round 6 and none of these guys have been taken then I will breathe easier, but until then, it will be interesting.

Any time a Hog or a signee is picked it will be posted in the OP about where and when they were taken as well as it will more than likely be talked about among posters.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 06, 2014, 09:11:10 am
Schwarber's slot value - $4,621,200
Stinnett's slot value - $1,250,400
3rd Round slot value - $714,900

I think they can sign Schwarber for 3.1 M as the next highest he was projected to go was #10 to the Mets.  They save 1.5 M on that pick.  I think they sign Stinnett for no more than 250 K to save at least 1 M on that pick.  That is 2.5 M saved from their first 2 picks IMO.  Add that to 750 K and you can offer Bukauskas 3.25 M with ease.  Does anyone honestly believe he will turn down top 10 money?  Not saying it will happen, but it makes a lot of sense.

I think very high 2s to 3.1 is a pretty good estimate for Shwarber.  I think Stinnett gets more than 250k though.  The cubs need him.  I know Stinnett has no leverage, but the cubs don't have that much either.  I think he at least gets 750k. 

But the cubs can also go $417,610 over their allottment without facing more than a cash penalty by MLB.  So at this point, assuming they give Stinnett $750k and Schwarber 3.1M, they would have 2.44M to spend over the slot value. 

Either way, I don't think they take him in the third round.  I think they would take him in the 9-11 round.  This way if they fail to sign him, they're not losing 700k of pool money. 

Bryant may be third in MLB in power - but his hit tool is also the most advanced, by far (as is his age).  Especially with recent call ups, Bryant is easily a top five prospect in all of baseball for me at this point.

dotnet

Unless its a team like the cubs.. and I think they're the only ones with THAT much money.. the 6th round is when I start to feel really good.  Until then... pins and needles

Razorhawg09

Alcantara and Lake won't be able to crack the starting lineup. Baez is still is a risk to me but that 40 homer power potential for a likely second baseman??

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 09:29:02 am
I think very high 2s to 3.1 is a pretty good estimate for Shwarber.  I think Stinnett gets more than 250k though.  The cubs need him.  I know Stinnett has no leverage, but the cubs don't have that much either.  I think he at least gets 750k. 

But the cubs can also go $417,610 over their allottment without facing more than a cash penalty by MLB.  So at this point, assuming they give Stinnett $750k and Schwarber 3.1M, they would have 2.44M to spend over the slot value. 

Either way, I don't think they take him in the third round.  I think they would take him in the 9-11 round.  This way if they fail to sign him, they're not losing 700k of pool money. 

Bryant may be third in MLB in power - but his hit tool is also the most advanced, by far (as is his age).  Especially with recent call ups, Bryant is easily a top five prospect in all of baseball for me at this point.
Whoever the Cubs draft, they have plenty of money to spend.  They can definitely take some risks in the later rounds.

And Bryant was a monster in May in AA.  He hit over .400 for the month to go with plus power.  I think he will be manning the hot corner at Wrigley very soon.  I think the Astros are really going to regret passing up both Bryant and Gray for Appel last year.

Question now is, where do you put Baez with Arismendy Alcantra showing he can be a very good 2B?  Do you trade Castro and his contract to bring Baez and his 40+ HR power up and play SS?  By drafting Schwarber, the Cubs could have a monster of a lineup in 2017.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on June 06, 2014, 09:36:01 am
Alcantara and Lake won't be able to crack the starting lineup. Baez is still is a risk to me but that 40 homer power potential for a likely second baseman??
There had been talk last year that Bryant could be shifted to LF and Baez to 3B, but it appears that Bryant is good enough defensively to stick at 3B.  I guess the Cubs could try and move Baez to LF with his 65 arm because both Soler and Almora have 65 arms as well.  This could be the potential lineup for the Cubs in 2017:

C - Schwarber - 30+ HR power
1B - Rizzo - 25+ HR power
2B - Alcantra - 5-10 HR power
SS - Castro - 15-20 HR power
3B - Bryant - 40+ HR power
LF - Baez - 40+ HR power
CF - Almora - 20+ HR power
RF - Soler - 30+ HR power

That is a nasty lineup full of power hitters.  It could be a perfect lineup for Wrigley.

kennymayne

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 10:01:03 pm
I'm convinced we could lose to a MLB team and still some people would gripe.

We could beat the Yankees by one run and people would gripe that we bunted too much.

ucahogfan

dotnet

Baez would play third before Bryant.  Bryant has still made a lot of erros at 3b this year... even if he has shown the ability to play the position. 

At this point, Soler is still a decent risk since he can't stay healthy.  I think in a perfect world they trade castro to a team that really needs a short stop for a middle of the rotation arm.  Then you have a lot of options.  They have Villenuava who is a stud at third if he can hit enough.  They also have Mike Olt there now... who would hit 80 home runs a year if he could lower his K/rate to 50%. 

Baseball Hog

There are teams that are 100% off of McKinney due to signability.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 10:28:02 am
Hopefully the Cubs are one of those teams.

tennesseehogwild

How far does the Dee Wee cause Oliver to fall in your guys opinion? I was really hoping he goes early today in 3rd.

Razorhawg09

Alcantara has been playing some CF. I think the plan is the shift Baez over to second. Or the FO could decide to peddle Castro for a good starting pitcher.

dotnet

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 06, 2014, 10:45:00 am
How far does the Dee Wee cause Oliver to fall in your guys opinion? I was really hoping he goes early today in 3rd.

I wouldn't expect him to be around in the second half of the third round. 

booogaga

Hey UCA or anyone else in the know. For The couple of signees that we have that we might lose what is their rumored selling point. For instance if Luke gets drafted in the 4th round what type of bonus would he require to sign and not go to college.
GO HOGS!

ucahogfan

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 11:28:46 am
Hey UCA or anyone else in the know. For The couple of signees that we have that we might lose what is their rumored selling point. For instance if Luke gets drafted in the 4th round what type of bonus would he require to sign and not go to college.
Those types of numbers haven't been released to my knowledge.  The teams know, but none of our recruits have said it will take X amount of dollars for me to sign.  I think McKinney wants at least 2nd round money while Hentges wants at least 3rd round money.  Outside of that, I have no earthly idea.

Brewerfan10

Great thread, guys! I find myself contently refreshing the page on a slow Friday at work!

Scott7703

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 10:28:02 am

That is great news. Hopefully Bonfield falls into this group as well.

dotnet

I expect anyone taken in the first 5 rounds to be gone

booogaga

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 06, 2014, 11:31:55 am
Those types of numbers haven't been released to my knowledge.  The teams know, but none of our recruits have said it will take X amount of dollars for me to sign.  I think McKinney wants at least 2nd round money while Hentges wants at least 3rd round money.  Outside of that, I have no earthly idea.
Then what rounds to these guys have to sink to for us to start feeling an inkling of excitement that the "might" make it to campus.
GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 11:28:46 am

I think McKinney has a pretty big number.  He seems like a guy that isn't flirting his college commit for leverage, I think the dude would really like to come to the Hill.  I have no clue on Bonfield or the other guys.

Main thing to hope for today, recruits falling and no picks by the Cubbies.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 11:46:30 am
Then what rounds to these guys have to sink to for us to start feeling an inkling of excitement that the "might" make it to campus.

Honestly, I think as of now they all have a shot to make it to campus, even if they went in the 3rd (McKinney or Bonfield).  A more realistic look would be if they fall into the 5th or so you have to feel really good.

booogaga

Out of all the signees I want Bonfield to make it to campus the most. We need a bat. If we can get him to the hill and then add Wiggins. We will finally have some pop in our bats.
GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 11:55:28 am
Out of all the signees I want Bonfield to make it to campus the most. We need a bat. If we can get him to the hill and then add Wiggins. We will finally have some pop in our bats.

Bonfield isn't going to hit for much power.  He's much more of a Zack Cox ish hitter.