Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 First Year Player Draft

Started by ucahogfan, June 04, 2014, 05:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldWaldronHog

When does the draft start back up today?

booogaga

Talking about Oliver right now. On MLB.com draft coverage. Saying his arrest hurt him and was not drafted in the 2nd round. Say he is one of the top pitchers to go today.
GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

The talking heads just said the reason Oliver didn't go yesterday was because of his arrest.

Brewerfan10

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 11:58:08 am
Bonfield isn't going to hit for much power.  He's much more of a Zack Cox ish hitter.

But when he squared one up....Remember the absolute bomb in Hoover?

SPAL

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 11:39:04 am
I expect anyone taken in the first 5 rounds to be gone

Depends on who it is.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on June 06, 2014, 11:59:46 am
But when he squared one up....Remember the absolute bomb in Hoover?

I remember, those were the old bats though.

booogaga

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 11:58:08 am
Bonfield isn't going to hit for much power.  He's much more of a Zack Cox ish hitter.
When I say power I mean a player to can drive the ball. Zack Cox hit for power in the fact that he would hit the alleys and get to the wall. No sloppy singles. Doubles baby!
GO HOGS!

JonClaudeVanHam

Glad to NOT hear Keaton McKinney's name mentioned by the talking heads so far.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

dotnet

Cox was a little different.  he had power - and a lot of BP power.. just didn't come out much. 

If a team drafts someone in the 2nd or 3rd round and doesn't sign them... someone should probably be fired.

Rocky Mountain Living

Is slot money from the link below the expected signing bonus of the draft position?

ie.. 3rd-5th Rd signing bonuses: start at $750K and drop to $275K

www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-assigned-pick-values-for-top-10-rounds/

JonClaudeVanHam

Cox was instructed to quit swinging for home runs after his first year on campus, just let them come with the right pitch. He was instructed to become a doubles/Gap hitter over the offseason in order to hit for a higher average. It worked. Cox had a ton of power, 13 HRs his freshman year.

Basically, he was changed from Pure Power hitter (Prince Fielder) to gap hitter (David Wright).
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 12:02:03 pm
If a team drafts someone in the 2nd or 3rd round and doesn't sign them... someone should probably be fired.

Sometimes you gotta roll the dice.  Some teams have a good track record of talking guys out of college.  Some guys are good enough to take the risk.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Up in the Rockies on June 06, 2014, 12:02:38 pm
Is slot money from the link below the expected signing bonus of the draft position?

www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-assigned-pick-values-for-top-10-rounds/
Yeah, signing bonuses drop off drastically now.

dotnet

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 12:01:30 pm
When I say power I mean a player to can drive the ball. Zack Cox hit for power in the fact that he would hit the alleys and get to the wall. No sloppy singles. Doubles baby!

Yeah.. I think he'll be a lot like Anderson was last year.  A lot of ropes all over the place. 

Anderson's sophmore year.. even with none of the homers and 75% of the doubles would have still probably been the best offensive player on the team this year.  He had a really good, not great, year this year and I think it is all people will remember.  But his sophmore year was exceptional.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 06, 2014, 12:03:57 pm
Cox was instructed to quit swinging for home runs after his first year on campus, just let them come with the right pitch. He was instructed to become a doubles/Gap hitter over the offseason in order to hit for a higher average. It worked. Cox had a ton of power, 13 HRs his freshman year.

Basically, he was changed from Pure Power hitter (Prince Fielder) to gap hitter (David Wright).
If Cox ever figures out how to combine his hit tool with his power tool, he will be nasty good.  It seems like you get one or the other right now.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Up in the Rockies on June 06, 2014, 12:02:38 pm

Yep, you gotta remember though that those slots are all pooled together in the top 10 rounds.  Each team has total amount to spend on the top 10 round guys.

That's what you'll see a bunch of Seniors going from round 6-10 today.

dotnet

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 12:04:17 pm
Sometimes you gotta roll the dice.  Some teams have a good track record of talking guys out of college.  Some guys are good enough to take the risk.

Right, but in the third round you can still draft a guy who can get it up to 97 and has a plus breaking ball (with current below average command).  And instead of getting that in your system... you draft a player you can't sign? 

You have to do better scouting than that.  Thats unacceptable to me.  If someone drafts McKinney and he doesn't sign because they only offer 750k and he wanted 7 figures, then why is my scout the only one in the country who didn't know he wanted seven figures? 

dotnet

Cox is doing pretty well in triple A right now.  I think he has a 825+ OPS.  He isn't really young for the level anymore.. but he still has a chance to make it..

Baseball Hog

JonClaudeVanHam

Brian Anderson just picked by Miami!

ucahogfan

Brian Anderson selected 76th overall by the Miami Marlins!

booogaga

GO HOGS!

SPAL

Dang it....I cannot root for the marlins.

Congrats to Brian Anderson though

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 06, 2014, 12:11:16 pm

Same

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 12:07:46 pm
then why is my scout the only one in the country who didn't know he wanted seven figures? 

No team picks blind.  What I'm trying to say is that a lot of teams have a great track record of drafting guys with a huge number and knocking that number in half.  You just have to weigh the risk vs. you're confidence in negotiation.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 12:06:29 pm
Yep, you gotta remember though that those slots are all pooled together in the top 10 rounds.  Each team has total amount to spend on the top 10 round guys.

That's what you'll see a bunch of Seniors going from round 6-10 today.
Thanks....

can MLB teams spend more money on signing bonuses than they are allotted/slotted?

Are MLB teams using $$$ to motivate players to bypass college eligibility hence why seniors get drafted at signing bonuses of $275k (5th Rd) down to $137K in the 10th Rd?

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Up in the Rockies on June 06, 2014, 12:13:21 pm
Thanks....

can MLB teams spend more money on signing bonuses than they are allotted/slotted?

Are MLB teams using $$$ to motivate players to bypass college eligibility?

If they go over there are severe penalties including loss of top picks.  So no, you won't see anyone going over.

JonClaudeVanHam

Cubs yet again go with a college guy. They are scaring me. They need pitching and the more guys they pick that are easy to sign, the easier it may be for them to pony up money for McKinney.

ucahogfan

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Up in the Rockies on June 06, 2014, 12:13:21 pm
Are MLB teams using $$$ to motivate players to bypass college eligibility hence why seniors get drafted at signing bonuses of $275k down to 137K in the 10th Rd?

Right.  You'll see many seniors in 6-10 because you can pay them 20k because they have no where else to go.  Then use the remainder of that slot money to spend on guys past round 10 or to go above slot on some of your higher guys.

ucahogfan

Kentucky CF Austin Cousino taken 80th overall by the Seattle Mariners.  Andrew Benintendi has drawn comparisons to him.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: dotnet on June 06, 2014, 12:02:03 pm
Cox was a little different.  he had power - and a lot of BP power.. just didn't come out much. 

IDK! But there is some rumblings that Indians 1st round pick(#31) Justus Sheffield may still end up at Vandy with his RS Freshman brother Jordan. I believe Beede also was drafted in 1st Round and ended up at Vandy.

booogaga

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 12:15:50 pm
Right.  You'll see many seniors in 6-10 because you can pay them 20k because they have no where else to go.  Then use the remainder of that slot money to spend on guys past round 10 or to go above slot on some of your higher guys.
Exactally. Seniors have little bargain power. The Cardinals drafted a risky prospect with the 1st comp pick and drafted a senior with the 3rd pick prob to save money to sign him.
GO HOGS!

Baseball Hog

Just got flash backs of hearing Dillon Howard drafted by the tribe.  haha

ucahogfan

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 06, 2014, 12:18:13 pm
IDK! But there is some rumblings that Indians 1st round pick(#31) Justus Sheffield may still end up at Vandy with his RS Freshman brother Jordan. I believe Beede also was drafted in 1st Round and ended up at Vandy.
Sheffield was considered a tough sign, but I think he will sign.

And there are also rumors that Jordan transfers to a JUCO.  He would have never made it to Vandy if he didn't have TJ last year.  Would have been a 1st round pick otherwise.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 06, 2014, 12:15:50 pm

Thanks...I get the leverage concept from year 3 to year 4 now. 

Razorhawg09

Cubs with another curious pick. They will have tons of money left for pitchers now. They will draft McKinney and Hentges lol

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: booogaga on June 06, 2014, 12:18:48 pm
Exactally. Seniors have little bargain power. The Cardinals drafted a risky prospect with the 1st comp pick and drafted a senior with the 3rd pick prob to save money to sign him.

Thanks.  Would a MLB team offer a Senior 1st Round pick 50% of the slotted money?

ucahogfan

Ole Miss RHP Chris Ellis selected by the Angels 87th overall.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on June 06, 2014, 12:27:06 pm
Cubs with another curious pick. They will have tons of money left for pitchers now. They will draft McKinney and Hentges lol
I don't think Zagunis will give them much of a discount from that slot.  That was around where he was projected.

hogman64

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 06, 2014, 12:11:16 pm

dang a sink hole I consider that about like getting picked by the raiders....its a pro contract tho.

hogman64

I wouldn't count anyone out of not going to Vandy, they have a way of getting lucky.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: hogman64 on June 06, 2014, 12:30:55 pm
I wouldn't count anyone out of not going to Vandy, they have a way of getting lucky.

It's not luck.  It's unlimited scholarships with high academic prestige.

hogfan17

Justus Sheffield has already signed, it was announced this morning:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/indians-to-sign-justus-sheffield.html

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 06, 2014, 12:19:48 pm
Sheffield was considered a tough sign, but I think he will sign.

And there are also rumors that Jordan transfers to a JUCO.  He would have never made it to Vandy if he didn't have TJ last year.  Would have been a 1st round pick otherwise.

I know the father, who signed with Red Sox out of High School in 2nd round of '92 draft. Leaving it up to the son but I think the family is pushing for college. With kids you never know when they throw the money at you....

JonClaudeVanHam

tennesseehogwild

Baseball Hog

Quote from: hogfan17 on June 06, 2014, 12:33:08 pm
Justus Sheffield has already signed, it was announced this morning:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/indians-to-sign-justus-sheffield.html

Smart kid.  Throwing in 4 years of A+ education if baseball doesn't work out.

SPAL

Quote from: hogman64 on June 06, 2014, 12:28:33 pm
dang a sink hole I consider that about like getting picked by the raiders....its a pro contract tho.

I can wish him well and hope he blows up the farms and I'll root for him to succeed but his team fail once he makes the show, but once he steps foot in the box against an Atl Braves pitcher, he is no different than Cliff Lee.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 06, 2014, 12:35:36 pm

I can wish him well and hope he blows up the farms and I'll root for him to succeed but his team fail once he makes the show, but once he steps foot in the box against an Atl Braves pitcher, he is no different than Cliff Lee.
Yep, go Braves!

Same with Zack Cox who is in the Marlins farm system as well.