Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 First Year Player Draft

Started by ucahogfan, June 04, 2014, 05:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

June 04, 2014, 05:18:02 pm Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:03:01 pm by ucahogfan
Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   24h   

FACT | Last season, Arkansas led the country with 11 players drafted. The @MLBDraft is just two days away. #NeverYield #WPS #ProHOGS

Razorback Preview - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=209517042

Current Hogs Selected
Brian Anderson - 3rd round (76th overall) by the Miami Marlins
Chris Oliver - 4th round (112th overall) by the Philadelphia Phillies
Jalen Beeks - 12th round (374th overall) by the Boston Red Sox
Michael Gunn - 16th round (494th overall) by the Boston Red Sox
Eric Fisher - 17th round (497th overall) by the Miami Marlins
Tyler Spoon - 36th round (1,092nd overall) by the Oakland Athletics

Signees Selected
Sam Hentges - 4th round (128th overall) by the Cleveland Indians
Luke Bonfield - 21st round (625th overall) by the New York Mets
Keaton McKinney - 28th round (835th overall) by the New York Mets
Blake Wiggins - 36th round (1,072nd overall) by the Philadelphia Phillies
Nathan Rodriguez - 39th round (1,163rd overall) by the Colorado Rockies

ucahogfan

With the draft getting underway tomorrow, I felt that I would go ahead and make this thread.  I'll post the Hogs and signees who are drafted in the OP when I have the opportunity, but this thread can also discuss team selections and just general draft discussion.  16 Hogs are draft eligible, and 11 are projected to be selected by PG although DVH is unsure about Serrano in that regard.  There are a couple of signees who are draft risks as well and we should have a much clearer picture about that come Friday evening.

Paul Westerhawg

I don't post much, but I'm glued to EI year round. I have a few solid contacts in college and professional baseball, and it's my understanding right now, that Luke Bonfield will be a Hog. I know Luke is considering all options, but I have it on good authority that he is passionate about showcasing his offensive ability in college ball.

He loves the program, loves Baum Stadium, loves the steaks at Doe's, abd most importantly, really loves this coaching staff. He and Dave Van Horn have a great relationship, and he trusts him implicitly.

His relationship with Kyle Pate is another reason he will be a Razorback. That bond is exceedingly strong.

ucahogfan

June 04, 2014, 06:08:39 pm #3 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:21:45 pm by ucahogfan
Quote from: Paul Westerhawg on June 04, 2014, 06:06:12 pm
I don't post much, but I'm glued to EI year round. I have a few solid contacts in college and professional baseball, and it's my understanding right now, that Luke Bonfield will be a Hog. I know Luke is considering all options, but I have it on good authority that he is passionate about showcasing his offensive ability in college ball.

He loves the program, loves Baum Stadium, loves the steaks at Doe's, abd most importantly, really loves this coaching staff. He and Dave Van Horn have a great relationship, and he trusts him implicitly.

His relationship with Kyle Pate is another reason he will be a Razorback. That bond is exceedingly strong.
HECK YEAH!!!  This looks like a year where all of the crap that the draft has caused us over the last 5 years is going to pay us back.  Bonfield seems like he is truly torn, and I generally think those guys go to college.

The only downside is that the steaks at Does are expensive.

Baseball Hog

One of my favorite times of year. Can't wait.

Scott7703

Best razorback news I've heard in weeks. Thanks for sharing.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 04, 2014, 06:08:39 pm
HECK YEAH!!!  This looks like a year where all of the crap that the draft has caused us over the last 5 years is going to pay us back.  Bonfield seems like he is truly torn, and I generally think those guys go to college.

The only downside is that the steaks at Does are expensive.

Tuition at IMG Academy is $40,000/semester, someone can afford a steak at Doe's

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 07:19:03 pm
Tuition at IMG Academy is $40,000/semester, someone can afford a steak at Doe's
Dang!  At least we don't have to worry about a booster committing illegal acts then.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 04, 2014, 07:24:32 pm
Dang!  At least we don't have to worry about a booster committing illegal acts then.

I was surprised, I guess, at how much it was. My youngest plays in a lot of tennis tournaments and he's always said he'd like to go there. I guess I need to run out and buy another lottery ticket for tonight.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 07:27:48 pm
I was surprised, I guess, at how much it was. My youngest plays in a lot of tennis tournaments and he's always said he'd like to go there. I guess I need to run out and buy another lottery ticket for tonight.
Or two.

And I can understand why a tennis player would want to go to IMG.  That's pretty much the go-to program for tennis players.  Bollettieri is a name I have heard numerous times.

SPAL

I sure hope this is Bobby on a bike and not DGB is a hog connections.

Baseball Hog

I hope Grieshaber really wants to come to college.  He's jumping up draft boards in the last few weeks.

dotnet

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2014, 12:45:36 am
I sure hope this is Bobby on a bike and not DGB is a hog connections.

So in this scenario I'm supposed to root for bobby on a bike?

This is taking me to unnatural places...

Baseball Hog

June 05, 2014, 09:06:05 am #13 Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:24:22 am by Baseball Hog
(I'm sure UCA has this somewhere but I'm bored)
Final MLB.com prospect rankings and info (top 200):

#89 Keaton McKinney
One of the top run producers on the U.S. national team that took the gold medal at the 18-and-under World Cup in Taiwan in September, McKinney drove in what proved to be the winning run in the championship game against Japan. Though he'll play both ways as a first baseman and a pitcher should he attend Arkansas, he'll almost certainly focus on the mound when he turns pro.

McKinney has a physical, athletic frame that already produces 90-93 mph fastballs. He has advanced feel for pitching, showing the ability to achieve run and sink on his heater as well as owning one of the top changeups in his high school class. He delivers his low-80s changeup with deceptive arm speed and nice fade.

McKinney's breaking ball lags behind his other two offerings yet still shows some promise. He'll show a curveball at times and a slider at others, and his breaker should have more consistent power and depth once he gets more comfortable with it.

#168 Luke Bonfield
Bonfield captured scouts' attention on last summer's showcase circuit with his hitting ability. He has good bat-to-ball skills and produces plenty of line drives. He uses a high kick as a timing mechanism in his swing, but when he is timed up, he produces consistent, hard contact. Scouts expect him to develop more power as he physically matures.

Bonfield is a fringy runner and his arm strength has been hampered by a shoulder injury he suffered last year. He is a capable outfielder and likely fits best in left field.

A New Jersey native, Bonfield transferred to The Pendleton School and IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., for his senior year of high school. He is committed to Arkansas.

#48 Chris Oliver
Projectable power arms from the college ranks aren't all that common, but Arkansas has a good one in Oliver. A member of the Razorbacks' weekend rotation, the tall right-hander has some serious upside.

Oliver has a live arm, with a fastball he can dial up past the mid 90s at times. He throws downhill from his 6-foot-4 frame with some run and sink as well. Tall and slender, Oliver calls his breaking ball a curve, but it's really a slider. It's inconsistent from start to start, but it shows flashes of being an out pitch. His changeup is below average and behind the other two. That, along with his command, are the two things that hold him back as a starting pitching prospect.

The jury is out about whether Oliver will remain a starter, but he has the power arsenal to succeed in the bullpen if that's the direction that makes the most sense.

#121 Brian Anderson
Anderson has played a variety of positions since he set foot on the Arkansas campus, but it's his bat that will get him drafted in the first five or six rounds.

Anderson has played the outfield, third base and second base during his time with the Razorbacks. His ability to hit from the right side of the plate will truly dictate when he gets drafted. He shows signs of being able to hit for both average and power, with the ability to add strength a plus for future development at the plate. Anderson could be an intriguing offensive-minded second baseman, but if the bat comes along as some hope, he might profile better back at the hot corner or in an outfield corner. He has the hands and arm for third base, and he possesses enough athleticism to handle left field if needed.

The team that thinks Anderson can develop into an everyday bat is the one that will take him, perhaps worrying about his ultimate defensive home later on.

#174 Jalen Beeks
A member of Arkansas' weekend rotation, Beeks' Draft status became more uncertain when he missed a few starts, including the SEC tournament, with a sore elbow.

When healthy, Beeks is an intriguing left-handed prospect, albeit one who is a bit undersized, though that doesn't tend to concern scouts as much as it does for right-handers. Beeks has the chance to have three Major League-average pitches in his fastball, slider and changeup. They can play up because of his unusual arm slot, leading some to believe he might end up in a bullpen one day. He tends to throw strikes and keep people guessing with his repertoire.

There's not much projection here, but Beeks has the stuff and pitchability to find success at the next level.

kennymayne

Everything I've seen from anywhere other than Perfect Game makes me feel better about getting Bonfield here. Baseball America has Rodriguez ranked ahead of him, which is most likely because he plays a premium position. Worries me about Rodriguez a little bit.

dotnet

168 is still very much in the danger zone.  McCall was ranked 190 by PG a couple of years ago.  I think Killian was around 100+. 

A lot of it depends on how much money they want how high they'll be drafted.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2014, 10:18:37 am
168 is still very much in the danger zone.  McCall was ranked 190 by PG a couple of years ago.  I think Killian was around 100+. 

Except there was a 0% chance that McCall was ever coming to campus.

Killian was in the 110 range in his class while Bax was like in the 220s, but Bax was also in the 200s overall when it came to the draft because of his bat at a premium position.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2014, 10:33:55 am
Except there was a 0% chance that McCall was ever coming to campus.

Killian was in the 110 range in his class while Bax was like in the 220s, but Bax was also in the 200s overall when it came to the draft because of his bat at a premium position.

Good point.  Which really makes my point.. that its nuanced.  A specific ranking in and of itself doesn't mean that much. 

kennymayne

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2014, 10:18:37 am

I'm just saying that everyone other than PG has him a little further down the board. I'm hoping the teams do as well, thereby increasing his chances of making it to campus. Just trying to grasp at straws to get my hopes up.

ucahogfan

Quote from: kennymayne on June 05, 2014, 10:59:55 am
I'm just saying that everyone other than PG has him a little further down the board. I'm hoping the teams do as well, thereby increasing his chances of making it to campus. Just trying to grasp at straws to get my hopes up.
PG has Bonfield rated lower on their top 500 than just about everywhere else.  He is below 200 on there while in the top 200 pretty much every where else.  Don't let HS class rankings fool you.  Some like Gavin LaValley is in the 200s in the class rankings, but also a highly rated draft prospect because of his hit and power tool.

Kevin

mccall should have gone to college. he has not moved much in the minors
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Brewerfan10

Quote from: Kevin on June 05, 2014, 11:43:24 am

I just noticed that. Is he hurt or did he hang them up? I looked at his stats and nothing showed up past last year.

Kevin

it says active. so i guess he is still in arizona at the training facility
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Sueie

He had to many people in his ear telling him things.  Most of them being wrong.

Kevin

Quote from: Sueie on June 05, 2014, 12:15:53 pm
He had to many people in his ear telling him things.  Most of them being wrong.

figure a lot of that goes on, unfortunately

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on June 05, 2014, 12:25:52 pm
figure a lot of that goes on, unfortunately

Yep, and unfortunately, it starts when they are about 10-12 years old.

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2014, 12:28:49 pm
Yep, and unfortunately, it starts when they are about 10-12 years old.

You have been around some travel ball teams, haven't you?

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on June 05, 2014, 12:44:18 pm
You have been around some travel ball teams, haven't you?

A few.

00AR

McCall is still assigned to the Giants single A short season team, so he hasnt played any games yet this year, his season will be starting June 13th

dotnet

Keith Law is doing a chat on ESPN... he has had these questions:

teve Davis (Ankeny, IA)

Do you have any thoughts to share on prep RHP Keaton McKinney of Ankeny, Iowa? I've seen him projected primarily as a 3rd round pick.
Klaw
  (1:27 PM)

Yep. Could go late second, most likely third. I think Mitch Keller, also from Iowa, goes ahead of him.

Matt (Minneapolis)

Any chance that Sam Hentges gets drafted high enough not to go to Nebraska? Or does he get picked in the 4/5th round? He pitched against my son's team in the high school playoffs this year and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be.
Klaw
  (1:48 PM)

Heard high of 3rd round low of 5th-goes-to-school.

(the guy clearly has the college wrong - but Law does say he'll go to school, which is awesome)

ucahogfan

Brewerfan10

Speaking of guys we lost out on, here is another guy that went 1st round and isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Would have been sweet to have gotten him on the hill.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592604

SPAL

So who do we not feel good about?

I'm thinking we lose Rodriguez and McKinney. Speaking if incoming recruits, of course.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2014, 03:13:49 pm
So who do we not feel good about?

I'm thinking we lose Rodriguez and McKinney. Speaking if incoming recruits, of course.
I don't really know.

The two players I feel worst about are Bonfield and McKinney.  If McKinney doesn't get selected tonight, I'll feel a whole lot better about getting him to campus.  Bonfield is very much a wild card.  He seems torn between campus and signing, but generally those guys go spend 3 years in college and then sign.

Rodriguez has told DVH he is coming to campus and DVH is still worried.  Tells me how highly DVH thinks of Rodriguez.  I think he has told scouts that he going to campus and they will back off.

I think the feeling with DVH is that Hentges has to be a top 3 round pick.  We should know Friday about 1 PM with his status when the 3rd round concludes.

Grieshaber is another wild card.  I really have no feeling about him.  Athletes like him tend to draw a lot of interests with scouts.  Especially athletes who excel at two sports like he does.  I think we get him to campus though.

DVH feels good about getting Wiggins to campus, but you never know.  His power tool is premium.

ucahogfan

Reesedogg000

I don't know what it is but I am way more nervous than other year's past. I mean let's face it the last few years we have lost some major high school talent to the draft. Some were surprises and some weren't. This year though I feel we should and am hopeful to get most if not all to campus. I also think this class is a game changer and will bring a national title here if they make it to campus. It's full of big bats, athletes, and tons of pitching. I will be on pins and needles tonight for a few of them and even more pins and needles through out Friday for the mid rounds for the rest of them.

SPAL

Quote from: Reesedogg000 on June 05, 2014, 04:26:59 pm
I don't know what it is but I am way more nervous than other year's past. I mean let's face it the last few years we have lost some major high school talent to the draft. Some were surprises and some weren't. This year though I feel we should and am hopeful to get most if not all to campus. I also think this class is a game changer and will bring a national title here if they make it to campus. It's full of big bats, athletes, and tons of pitching. I will be on pins and needles tonight for a few of them and even more pins and needles through out Friday for the mid rounds for the rest of them.

I Agree with this. At least on paper, these guys could be what we've been missing and could help deliver a national title. With what I've heard and also what UCA has a feel for, I think we sign all but maybe McKinney and maybe even him if his price is too high. Would be epic to land him. I feel good about the draft for once

Reesedogg000

Recently we have lost the following high school players to the draft.

2010:
Jared Lakind(23rd round Pirates)
Justin O' Connor(1st round Rays)
Robbie Ray(12th round Nationals)
Ben Wells(7th round Cubs)

Lakind and Wells should have come to school and recently there were articles where both mentioned they should have gone to AR. Ray threw 3 no hitters his senior year and flipped to AR after initially committing to Vanderbilt and shot up the draft boards but still 12th round we thought we would land him. O'Connor was most likely never making it to campus and then as a 1st rounder that all but ended those small hopes.

2011:
Greg Bird(5th round Yankees)
Michael Fulmer(1st round Mets)
Dillon Howard(2nd round Indians)
Brandon Nimmo(1st round Mets)

That year hurt with so many early round picks but let's face it we weren't exactly certain we would get any of them. Fulmer and Nimmo being 1st rounders were long shots but Dillon Howard being from Arkansas there was hope he might spurn the Indians and come to campus but that didn't happen. Greg Bird slipping to the 5th round gave us some hope but he ended up signing late.

2012:
Ty Buttrey(4th round Red Sox)
Shilo McCall(9th round Giants)
D'Vone McClure(4th round Indians)
Teddy Stankiewicz(2nd round Mets)

Buttrey and Stankiewicz weren't real surprises being big arms and early rounds but losing McCall and McClure who were big bats we needed since we already had pitching hurt us really bad plus they later rounds especially McCall. McClure was from Jacksonville, AR but in the end the home state didn't matter compared to the Indians checkbook.

2013:
Jonathan Denney(3rd round Red Sox)
Garrett Gordon(23 round Nationals)

Gordon was a late signee but still shocking he took the small offer from the Washington Nationals while Denney was almost no way making it to campus as a monster bat for a catcher.

lefty08

Sorry in advance if i missed a thread like this, but where can i find a list of guys that are committed to the hogs for this year? its hard as hell to find anything on college baseball recruiting. I want to follow where our recruits are drafted. Thanks guys
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SPAL

Quote from: lefty08 on June 05, 2014, 07:52:59 pm
Sorry in advance if i missed a thread like this, but where can i find a list of guys that are committed to the hogs for this year? its hard as hell to find anything on college baseball recruiting. I want to follow where our recruits are drafted. Thanks guys
There is a recruiting thread in this forum.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=568301.0

ucahogfan

Follow this twitter account as it will tweet out every pick:

https://twitter.com/MLBDraftTracker

ucahogfan

The last pick of the first round is Jack Flaherty out of the LA area in California.  He is a RHP who doesn't have electric stuff, but the best command in high school.  He is a UNC commit with a supposed price tag of 2.5 M.  The Cards selected him.

He could develop into a top of the rotation type guy with the proper development which is expected in the Cardinals farm system.

collegestationhog

Who are some guys to look for getting drafted that the have interest in the Hogs.

SPAL

Just saw where papi and fisher from UVa were drafted back to back in round 2

SPAL

Just to update for those just joining...

Round 1:
No current Hogs drafted
No current signees drafted

jry04

3 UVA players drafted in the first 38 picks. Talk about loaded.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2014, 09:50:57 pm
3 UVA players drafted in the first 38 picks. Talk about loaded.
And the Kirby is a top 5 type pick next year.  They probably have 6-7 1st round type picks on that team.

SPAL

Kentucky stud AJ reed (42) to the Astros. Astros are having a good draft thus far.