Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 SF: Melvin Frazier

Started by The_Iceman, June 04, 2014, 03:01:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Recently got bumped to #68 on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/178991/melvin-frazier
http://247sports.com/Player/Melvin-Frazier-33650

He plays for the Arkansas Wings. He plays a very similar style to Michael Qualls. He would be a good addition if we can get him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPsWNWepFc

-Blu

I've watched him on the few Wings EYBL games that were streamed.  He would be an awesome fit for us.  I would actually say he's more of the Coty Clarke/Keaton Miles mold than a Michael Qualls.  He's an undersized 4, that can play the 3 position as well.  He's not much of a scorer, he's a great athlete that's going to use his athleticism to get hustle and garbage points and play solid defense. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on June 04, 2014, 03:32:44 pm
I've watched him on the few Wings EYBL games that were streamed.  He would be an awesome fit for us.  I would actually say he's more of the Coty Clarke/Keaton Miles mold than a Michael Qualls.  He's an undersized 4, that can play the 3 position as well.  He's not much of a scorer, he's a great athlete that's going to use his athleticism to get hustle and garbage points and play solid defense. 

Would fit our system perfect! Hopefully we are going to offer him soon.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 04, 2014, 03:37:27 pm

Wait, we haven't even offered him yet???

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 03:48:03 pm

Pretty sure we have, along with LA Tech, Houston, UTEP, TAMU, OU & OSU...and probably others. Based on his offer list, I'd be curious to know his academic situation.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

1highhog

Yeah, I like the kid, he sure loves coming down the lane looking for that put back dunk, I can hear it now, DOWN THE LANE GOES FRAZIER!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 03:48:03 pm

My bad, looks like we have. He is definitely the type of player we need to get. Our system would allow him to maximize his strengths.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 04, 2014, 03:37:27 pm

We've already offered a while back.  Dudley wrote a story on him a couple weeks ago, he says he has a lot of interest in us, and likes our style of play and coaches.  Didn't really give much more than that though. 

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on June 04, 2014, 04:04:36 pm
We've already offered a while back.  Dudley wrote a story on him a couple weeks ago, he says he has a lot of interest in us, and likes our style of play and coaches.  Didn't really give much more than that though. 

Thanks Blu..... We need some scorers. I was wondering if he had an interest in us. I am getting real concerned with 2015 class.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on June 04, 2014, 04:20:24 pm
Thanks Blu..... We need some scorers. I was wondering if he had an interest in us. I am getting real concerned with 2015 class.

2015 class really just depends on what we bring back for 2015-2016 season.  We technically only lose 2 guys (Madden and Harris).  If we make a decent run and Portis and Qualls both decide to stay then really all we need for the 2015 class is some good system guys.  Melvin Frazier fits that mold, he's not a guy that's going to score a lot, but he fits well for our system and would be able to play both 3/4 position.

Now, If lose Qualls and Portis, then we're going to need to bring in some guys that can come in and contribute on the scoring end immediately..  That's when getting a Jimmy Whitt, an Ed Morrow, and guys like that becomes vital.  And I'm sure the staff has some sense on who is and isn't coming back next year, so they'll recruit accordingly.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 04, 2014, 04:35:25 pm
2015 class really just depends on what we bring back for 2015-2016 season.  We technically only lose 2 guys (Madden and Harris).  If we make a decent run and Portis and Qualls both decide to stay then really all we need for the 2015 class is some good system guys.  Melvin Frazier fits that mold, he's not a guy that's going to score a lot, but he fits well for our system and would be able to play both 3/4 position.

Now, If lose Qualls and Portis, then we're going to need to bring in some guys that can come in and contribute on the scoring end immediately..  That's when getting a Jimmy Whitt, an Ed Morrow, and guys like that becomes vital.  And I'm sure the staff has some sense on who is and isn't coming back next year, so they'll recruit accordingly.

Need to consider how many guys are coming off the books in 2016, though. Even if we sign guys in 2015 that might not play huge roles, they'd still have a season of experience going into 2016 and we wouldn't be so dependent on 5-6 newcomers.

Also, I'm not sure the staff can have too good of a handle on who is or isn't coming back after next season if the players themselves don't know. I'm sure they know it's possible Portis and Qualls could go pro but it's really going to depend on in-season performance. But you pretty much have to sign the really good kids in the early period, before the season really takes off.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 04:43:53 pm
Need to consider how many guys are coming off the books in 2016, though. Even if we sign guys in 2015 that might not play huge roles, they'd still have a season of experience going into 2016 and we wouldn't be so dependent on 5-6 newcomers.

Also, I'm not sure the staff can have too good of a handle on who is or isn't coming back after next season if the players themselves don't know. I'm sure they know it's possible Portis and Qualls could go pro but it's really going to depend on in-season performance. But you pretty much have to sign the really good kids in the early period, before the season really takes off.

How can the staff not have a good feel for what the players they are around everyday want to do?  I mean nothing is 100%, things change and happen, that's why they should recruit 24/7 and prepare for the worst.  But, coaches are going to have some idea on what their players are wanting to do.  Heck, we as fans can see writings on the wall and know what players are going to do sometimes, how can the coaches not?  Was there a person on hogville that though BJ Young would return for his junior season? 

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Blu, do you honestly feel that either Portis or Qualls knows right now or will know before the early signing period what they're going to do after next season? B.J. declared for the draft after his freshmen year before withdrawing so obviously his intentions were known. Powell made no secret that he was seriously considering going pro. We don't have either of those things with Portis or Qualls. That is what I was saying. The most impactful recruiting is typically going to happen before the season or in the very early part of the season. Portis and Qualls still have to play themselves into legit NBA prospects and that hasn't happened yet.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 11:47:38 pm
Blu, do you honestly feel that either Portis or Qualls knows right now or will know before the early signing period what they're going to do after next season?

Yes, most people have an idea on what they want to do in the future, whether they will be able to do it or not is another question.  The kids aren't dumb they know where they stand, I'm sure Qualls knows his draft stock has risen after this year, and I'm sure he's put some thought into if it continues to rise whether he'll take a chance going to the NBA draft next year or if he wants to stay for his final year and get a degree, and I'm sure the staff has talked to him about that as well, and both parties have a general idea where they stand.   And of course there are variables, just like anything else in life that can make that change, but to sit and act like nobody thought about anything or have an idea of what they want to do is ridiculous, I'd be disappointed in our staff if they didn't discuss these things with their players and prepare for it.  I'm sure those questions are asked to most highly rated recruits on visits on what their future plans are and when they are trying to enter the draft.  You think Coach Cal, Bill Self, Billy Donovan etc. doesn't have a general idea of what each one of their players future plans are?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 05, 2014, 12:21:18 am
Yes, most people have an idea on what they want to do in the future, whether they will be able to do it or not is another question.  The kids aren't dumb they know where they stand, I'm sure Qualls knows his draft stock has risen after this year, and I'm sure he's put some thought into if it continues to rise whether he'll take a chance going to the NBA draft next year or if he wants to stay for his final year and get a degree, and I'm sure the staff has talked to him about that as well, and both parties have a general idea where they stand.   And of course there are variables, just like anything else in life that can make that change, but to sit and act like nobody thought about anything or have an idea of what they want to do is ridiculous, I'd be disappointed in our staff if they didn't discuss these things with their players and prepare for it.  I'm sure those questions are asked to most highly rated recruits on visits on what their future plans are and when they are trying to enter the draft.  You think Coach Cal, Bill Self, Billy Donovan etc. doesn't have a general idea of what each one of their players future plans are?

The way I took your original statement ("And I'm sure the staff has some sense on who is and isn't coming back next year, so they'll recruit accordingly.") to mean you thought they are pretty sure which guys are coming back and which aren't. I might have taken that too literally or misunderstood that. I took it definitively and maybe I shouldn't have. But my point is still that they aren't going to know for sure while they're recruiting the bulk of this 2015 class.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2014, 08:40:10 am
The way I took your original statement ("And I'm sure the staff has some sense on who is and isn't coming back next year, so they'll recruit accordingly.") to mean you thought they are pretty sure which guys are coming back and which aren't. I might have taken that too literally or misunderstood that. I took it definitively and maybe I shouldn't have. But my point is still that they aren't going to know for sure while they're recruiting the bulk of this 2015 class.

Staff has probably known in the past who was leaving for whatever reasons and were not able to get high quality players. Hopefully we have turned the corner. 2016 looks promising  but so did 2015. We could pick up a surprise for next year ,but it would be just that.... a surprise. You gotta keep the instate players.

LJHOG

TomBigBeeHog

Another Clint please. By all means. And could I get a MayDay on the side.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Here's a recent 'getting to know' article on Frazier, from last Friday. I do find it a bit odd that the topic of Frazier's recruitment was not brought up once.

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/393446?referrer_id=790853
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

chiefhawg

HA,
Whats your take on Korey McCray leaving LSU? He was touted as one of the best basketball recruiters in the nation.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 09, 2014, 10:43:25 am
HA,
Whats your take on Korey McCray leaving LSU? He was touted as one of the best basketball recruiters in the nation.

Sounds fishy when a hired gun leaves "to pursue other opportunities." He's got a solid group of NBA contacts, but he must have done something to sour on the LSU gig. They've done pretty well since he's been there, though it doesn't look like he was solely responsible for their improved recruiting.

chiefhawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 09, 2014, 11:01:03 am
Sounds fishy when a hired gun leaves "to pursue other opportunities." He's got a solid group of NBA contacts, but he must have done something to sour on the LSU gig. They've done pretty well since he's been there, though it doesn't look like he was solely responsible for their improved recruiting.
Thanks

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 09, 2014, 11:01:03 am

Where is he going. We could use an ace recruiter. Same song 20th verse.

HawgAdvocate

The_Iceman

I'd feel a lot better about the 2015 class if we could land Frazier soon.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 17, 2014, 09:16:36 am
I'd feel a lot better about the 2015 class if we could land Frazier soon.

He feels like he's going to be a spring signee for some team, simply based on the lack of newsworthy attention Frazier's recruiting situation has received thus far this spring.

For a top 100 player, no news of any upcoming unofficial visits and no updates on calls or recent interest/offers from high major programs coming after EYBL's spring session continues to make me wonder about his academic situation.

mhuff

41 of 76 rebounds in 10 games were offensive rebounds. He is a favorite already. Most players do not work that hard to get position on the defensive boards much less the offensive boards. This tells me that he is a difference maker who also shoots for percentage. Wonder what his FT shooting % is?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on June 18, 2014, 07:18:08 am
41 of 76 rebounds in 10 games were offensive rebounds. He is a favorite already. Most players do not work that hard to get position on the defensive boards much less the offensive boards. This tells me that he is a difference maker who also shoots for percentage. Wonder what his FT shooting % is?

He doesn't appear to draw a lot of fouls, nor has he been all that efficient from the stripe this spring. In EYBL play he's 8 for 21 at the FT line.

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/4869142?subseason=165175

HawgAdvocate

Melvin is one of 60 players invited to the inaugural Ty Lawson/Victor Oladipo All-American camp, which takes place July 9-11 in Hyattsville, MD.

Aside from that Frazier's recruitment remains eerily quiet.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/07/melvin_frazier_blake_paul_rece.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

azhog10

Screams grade issues. Although I haven't seen or heard that that was the case. Things are definitely strange with his recruitment, or lack there of.

RazorAg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 08, 2014, 10:10:43 am
Melvin is one of 60 players invited to the inaugural Ty Lawson/Victor Oladipo All-American camp, which takes place July 9-11 in Hyattsville, MD.

Aside from that Frazier's recruitment remains eerily quiet.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/07/melvin_frazier_blake_paul_rece.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Marquise Pointer and Marlon Hunter are also attending.

HawgAdvocate

Per Frazier's coach, Texas Tech has now offered.

HawgAdvocate

New Scout article on Melvin Frazier, where we finally learn something about his recruitment. He picked up offers from Nebraska and Florida St. this past weekend, to go along with reported offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma St., Northwestern, and LSU.

He doesn't plan to cut his list down and sign until the spring.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1420976-up-goes-frazier?s=75

mbgrulz

Good lord, does every player in the league have a camp named after them now? Its beyond ridiculous.

rzrbackramsfan

I really hope Melvin becomes a hog, in a big fan of his game and think he has a high ceiling.

HawgAdvocate

Frazier is featured in this post-Lawson/Oladipo camp article.

http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20ty%20lawson%20vic%20oladipo%20AA%20camp%20guys%20pt%201%202.htm

WorfHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 15, 2014, 10:38:04 pm
Good lord, does every player in the league have a camp named after them now? Its beyond ridiculous.

Find a few corporate sponsors and make some extra money on the side.