Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Rankings: Malik Monk up to #4 overall

Started by Hawg Red, June 04, 2014, 02:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on June 12, 2014, 04:11:55 pm
To me the deciding factor will be if he is a multi dimensional player or just a scorer. IMHO Moncrief is the best Hog of all time. He scored, rebounded, played great defense, and gave out assists. To be the best you have to do it all. The jury is still out ,but Malik has a great chance to be the best ever. How is he at the FT line. That is important to me.

In EYBL play this spring, he's been pretty good at the stripe. He's shooting 79.5% (70/88). Offensively, it appears he needs to continue working on his perimeter shot more than anything else.

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/4869145?subseason=148178
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

VBMark

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 02:44:09 pm
I understand the points being made by both sides, but you guys do realize that you've only named two players that are currently playing in the NBA, right? And, as unfortunate as it is, Ronnie Jr.'s career isn't exactly on the upswing either. Based on his recent amount of playing he's seen, he may be out of the league within the next few years.

In the context of the debate, having to go back 35 years just to list 5+ names doesn't overcome the 'business decision' concept.

35+ years? Are your math skills lacking?

In last 20 years...
Corliss, Day, Mayberry, Miller, Weems, Pargo, Fortson, Hood, Beck, Lang, Beverley, McDaniel, Hill, Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer...

Currently in the NBA? Pargo, Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Beverley
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: VBMark on June 12, 2014, 05:00:07 pm
35+ years? Are your math skills lacking?

In last 20 years...
Corliss, Day, Mayberry, Miller, Weems, Pargo, Fortson, Hood, Beck, Lang, Beverley, McDaniel, Hill, Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer...

Currently in the NBA? Pargo, Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Beverley

Context. Look at the debate and the names that were given. And while you're right that all those players tasted the NBA in one way or another, the point remains the same.

15 players over 20 years? Or 17 over just the past four? And that's being generous because Lang hit the league in '88.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Carl Lazlo

Malik could play college ball for SAU and still be a NBA lottery pick. Fact

ICEman

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on June 15, 2014, 09:26:59 am
Read...Scottie Pippin UCA.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

MGB1229

Joe Johnson was selected 10th and Brewer 14th.  Sure didn't hurt those guys playing at Arkansas. 

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 11, 2014, 11:28:43 pm
Time to let go of the happenings of the '80s and even early to mid '90s. Kids know they will get drafted if they're good enough, but they know their best chance at maximizing their earning potential is to go to a premier program that gets a lot of pub on TV and pits them against other top talent more frequently. Would Anthony Davis have gone #1 overall if he played a year at UCA? No, he wouldn't have. He'd have been a lottery pick but would have missed out on millions still.

That argument really doesn't hold true, Anthony Bennett played at UNLV and was a #1 pick, and UNLV hasn't been really relevant in basketball since the Larry Johnson days, they haven't won a tournament game since 2008, and only won 2 tourney games since Larry Johnson has left.  They don't get many nationally televised games either, I watch college ball every Saturday, and if you want to catch a UNLV game you better have that ESPN 360 package or tune in to ESPN 3.  If you can be a #1 pick at UNLV you can be a #1 pick at Arkansas.

You can also look at CJ McCollum from this previous draft, he went to Lehigh and was the #10 pick, Damian Lillard from 2012 was the #6 pick and rookie of the year.  I can go back to just about every draft and pick a guy that was a lottery pick from a team that isn't "Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc."  It's actually the opposite of what you said, it's easier this day and time to go to smaller schools and still be a top NBA pick due to the exposure with ESPN 3, and social media, etc.  It's easier now to see kids and scout them from anywhere, than it's ever been before.

And, I don't know how much Anthony Davis you watched, but the kid was a beast, once in every 10-15 years type of player, he could have went to Henderson State University and still been the #1 pick, he was that good, he was the definition of dominate in college basketball.  And if you watch the NBA drafts, you know they will take a athlete 7 footer #1 no matter where he comes from, heck even if your injury prone they will still take you because finding a coordinated, athletic 7 footer, with a high basketball IQ is VERY rare.  There may only be a handful in the world.  That's why Noel got taken so high and everyone knew he could potentially miss his entire rookie year.

HawgAdvocate

Could. But won't.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 01:11:55 pm
That argument really doesn't hold true, Anthony Bennett played at UNLV and was a #1 pick, and UNLV hasn't been really relevant in basketball since the Larry Johnson days, they haven't won a tournament game since 2008, and only won 2 tourney games since Larry Johnson has left.  They don't get many nationally televised games either, I watch college ball every Saturday, and if you want to catch a UNLV game you better have that ESPN 360 package or tune in to ESPN 3.  If you can be a #1 pick at UNLV you can be a #1 pick at Arkansas.

Anthony Bennett is the exception that proves the rule. You could only name one player. Also, that pick was ridiculed when it was made and was a big reason why Cleveland fired their GM. It was a bad pick and someone paid for it with their job.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 01:11:55 pmYou can also look at CJ McCollum from this previous draft, he went to Lehigh and was the #10 pick, Damian Lillard from 2012 was the #6 pick and rookie of the year.  I can go back to just about every draft and pick a guy that was a lottery pick from a team that isn't "Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc."  It's actually the opposite of what you said, it's easier this day and time to go to smaller schools and still be a top NBA pick due to the exposure with ESPN 3, and social media, etc.  It's easier now to see kids and scout them from anywhere, than it's ever been before.

There's always exceptions. But crunch the numbers a little. Most lottery picks from colleges are from major conference. And I clearly stated that small conference players can be drafted in the lottery.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 01:11:55 pmAnd, I don't know how much Anthony Davis you watched, but the kid was a beast, once in every 10-15 years type of player, he could have went to Henderson State University and still been the #1 pick, he was that good, he was the definition of dominate in college basketball.  And if you watch the NBA drafts, you know they will take a athlete 7 footer #1 no matter where he comes from, heck even if your injury prone they will still take you because finding a coordinated, athletic 7 footer, with a high basketball IQ is VERY rare.  There may only be a handful in the world.  That's why Noel got taken so high and everyone knew he could potentially miss his entire rookie year.

It's really a pointless argument because guys like Anthony Davis and guys like Malik Monk don't go to schools like Henderson or UCA. They could to SEC or ACC or Big 10 schools, and they mainly go to the very elite programs because that helps their brand and gives them the most exposure. The recruiting rankings every year support that, with obvious exceptions.

Hawg Red

Malik Monk would never go to SAU. Fact.

Hawg Red

June 15, 2014, 02:05:34 pm #60 Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:21:37 pm by Hawg Red
Last 5 drafts: 8 college players drafted in the lottery from non-power conferences. Out of 70 picks. So 89% of players drafted in the lottery don't come from small schools.

EDIT: In their final mock drafts the day of the draft last year, NBADraft.net had Anthony Bennett going 10th overall and Draftexpress had him going 8th. Chris Mannix of SI.com had him going 7th. NBA.com did a consensus mock draft using all the best mocks and Bennett came in at 6th. So everyone whose job it was to cover the draft thought he was going anywhere from 6-10. Bad pick. There's a reason why it surprised everyone and a reason why Chris Grant is out of a job right now.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2014, 01:59:25 pm
Anthony Bennett is the exception that proves the rule. You could only name one player. Also, that pick was ridiculed when it was made and was a big reason why Cleveland fired their GM. It was a bad pick and someone paid for it with their job.

LOL, so now that an example from the most recent draft has been given it's an "exception".  I guess there are a bunch of "exceptions" out there because there are draft busts every single year, no matter what school they come from.  Point is, you can be a high draft pick no matter what school you come from, you don't have to necessarily go to an "elite" school to be a top draft pick.

There's always exceptions. But crunch the numbers a little. Most lottery picks from colleges are from major conference. And I clearly stated that small conference players can be drafted in the lottery.

You don't have to crunch numbers, you can use common sense, most top ranked athletes go to high major conferences, hence most lottery picks are going to be from guys from high major conferences.  The argument you were trying to make is guys draft stock is hurt from not going to elite programs, that's not true.  You used Anthony Davis as an example, he could have went to any high major school in the country and been the #1 pick, from watching him I even believe he could have went to a mid-major and been a #1 pick you don't see guys with his talent come around every year.

It's really a pointless argument because guys like Anthony Davis and guys like Malik Monk don't go to schools like Henderson or UCA. They could to SEC or ACC or Big 10 schools, and they mainly go to the very elite programs because that helps their brand and gives them the most exposure. The recruiting rankings every year support that, with obvious exceptions.

Your the one who brought up the argument about UCA and Anthony Davis wouldn't have been the #1 pick if he went there and was using that as part of your argument, now you want to throw it out?  That's fine, like I said he could have went to any high major conference in the nation and still been the #1 pick, so again your argument isn't true that your draft stock will be hurt if you don't go to an "elite" school.

I guess Emanual Mudiay is a fool for going to SMU because they haven't went to the tournament since 1993, yet he's projected as the #1 pick next year by nbadraft.net.  Is this another exception, or are you just ready to admit, that if you have the talent it doesn't matter where you go you can be high draft pick? 

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 03:01:35 pm
LOL, so now that an example from the most recent draft has been given it's an "exception".  I guess there are a bunch of "exceptions" out there because there are draft busts every single year, no matter what school they come from.  Point is, you can be a high draft pick no matter what school you come from, you don't have to necessarily go to an "elite" school to be a top draft pick.

No, statistical data makes it an exception.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 03:01:35 pmYou don't have to crunch numbers, you can use common sense, most top ranked athletes go to high major conferences, hence most lottery picks are going to be from guys from high major conferences.  The argument you were trying to make is guys draft stock is hurt from not going to elite programs, that's not true.  You used Anthony Davis as an example, he could have went to any high major school in the country and been the #1 pick, from watching him I even believe he could have went to a mid-major and been a #1 pick you don't see guys with his talent come around every year.

That was not the argument I was making.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 03:01:35 pmYour the one who brought up the argument about UCA and Anthony Davis wouldn't have been the #1 pick if he went there and was using that as part of your argument, now you want to throw it out?  That's fine, like I said he could have went to any high major conference in the nation and still been the #1 pick, so again your argument isn't true that your draft stock will be hurt if you don't go to an "elite" school.

I'm not the one who brought up the "he could go anywhere in the country" line. That whole thing is just silly, including my example of Anthony Davis going to UCA because it would never happen.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 03:01:35 pmI guess Emanual Mudiay is a fool for going to SMU because they haven't went to the tournament since 1993, yet he's projected as the #1 pick next year by nbadraft.net.  Is this another exception, or are you just ready to admit, that if you have the talent it doesn't matter where you go you can be high draft pick?

Why would I think he's a fool?

Are you trying to tell me that kids today aren't concerned with their "brand?" That's the only argument I'm making. Mudiay is a Texas kid going to a Texas school to be coached by a HOF coach. SMU will be in the tournament next season (probably should have been this past season). They're very hot on the recruiting trail because they can sell their program to recruits and they're in somewhat of a power conference (for basketball) now.

But, if we're using facts, he would be another exception. No doubt or debate about it. There have only been 5 players drafted #1 overall from non-power schools in the last 16 years going to back to Olowokandi in '98. And two of those were from C-USA. Derrick Rose from Memphis, which was a national program and made to the championship game and Kenyon Martin from Cincinnati back when C-USA had schools like Marquette, Louisville, and Memphis and Cincinnati.

But, again, my point is not that players hurt themselves by not going to the very elite schools. My point is that some players benefit from going to those schools and that those schools give players more exposure than other programs. That appeals to a lot of kids moreso than it did in the '90s or even early '00s.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 11, 2014, 08:00:38 pm
Better the program, the better the chance to begin building your brand. Also, coming from a particular school can enhance your draft standing. I've seen analysts say that if ULL's Elfrid Payton went to Duke or Kentucky, he's be a clear-cut top 10 pick inside of having somewhat of a shot like he has now. More exposure comes with playing at biggger schools. This can help or hurt a player, but there's no doubt it gives a player a leg up. NBA is likely to find you either way but it's much easier to be found at UK or Duke or UNC. Maybe someday Arkansas will be in that mix.

^^^^

This is my point.

Another good example would be Josh Harrellson. If he had had the exact same season he had as a senior at Kentucky almost anywhere else in the country, he wouldn't have gotten drafted. If Daniel Orton and Marquis Teague had had the exact same season they had as freshmen at Kentucky almost anywhere else in the country, they'd have gone the 2nd round or had to come back for their sophomore seasons. I do think playing for a small school can hurt a player when it really probably shouldn't (like Payton), but obviously you can still make it. It's just harder because you have to prove yourself more.

-Blu

One question.

Emanual Mudiay, he's been the projected #1 pick for nbadraft.net for a while now.  Let's say before he signed and he decommits from SMU and goes to Arkansas.  Does nbadraft.net then go in and change him from being the projected #1 pick, to like #8 or something because he's going to Arkansas?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 03:29:04 pm
One question.

Emanual Mudiay, he's been the projected #1 pick for nbadraft.net for a while now.  Let's say before he signed and he decommits from SMU and goes to Arkansas.  Does nbadraft.net then go in and change him from being the projected #1 pick, to like #8 or something because he's going to Arkansas?

No.

Why would they?

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2014, 03:31:39 pm
No.

Why would they?

Ok, now I'm confused were you or were you not saying kids draft stock can be hurt if they don't go to elite schools?  My whole argument is if you are the right talent it doesn't matter where you go to school your stock won't be affected.  I'm using Emanual Muiday as an example, he can go to any high major and at this point in time still be project to be the #1 draft pick.  So, are you now admitting you were wrong?  Or is this another exception?  There's so many exceptions I'm starting to lose track of them.

And your story seems to be changing, this is the post I was initially referring to.

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 11, 2014, 11:28:43 pm
Time to let go of the happenings of the '80s and even early to mid '90s. Kids know they will get drafted if they're good enough, but they know their best chance at maximizing their earning potential is to go to a premier program that gets a lot of pub on TV and pits them against other top talent more frequently.

This post gives the impression that your saying if kids don't go to "premier" programs then they hurt maximizing their earning potential, which since they can't make money in college (legally), I'm assuming you mean their draft stock, is that correct? Which the better draft spot you get the more money.  What I'm saying is, if they are an elite talent, there draft stock will be the same no matter where they go.  Because TBH most of the kids these days are projected in the draft before they even choose a school.  Thon Maker is projected to be the #1 pick in the 2017 draft already, you think if he chooses to go to UAB or Central Florida, all of the sudden they are going to drop him down to the #13 pick?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Ok, now I'm confused were you or were you not saying kids draft stock can be hurt if they don't go to elite schools? My whole argument is if you are the right talent it doesn't matter where you go to school your stock won't be affected.  I'm using Emanual Muiday as an example, he can go to any high major and at this point in time still be project to be the #1 draft pick.  So, are you now admitting you were wrong?  Or is this another exception?  There's so many exceptions I'm starting to lose track of them.

Made it clear I was not saying that. See post #63.

You're the one talking about Muiday and I don't know why. I haven't mentioned him and I'm not sure what you're point is. Muiday's an elite talent at a trending program that is getting a lot of national attention and love going into next year. I don't see how that would prompt me to admit I'm wrong? Very confusing.

I did say that coming out of a SMALL school (like ULL) can hurt a player come draft time when it probably shouldn't, like it is with Elfrid Payton. The familiarity and trust just isn't there with the scouts, but this is a completely different circumstance that what we're talking about because Payton made himself into an NBA player. We're talking about kids that are already NBA-bound.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
And your story seems to be changing, this is the post I was initially referring to.

This post gives the impression that your saying if kids don't go to "premier" programs then they hurt maximizing their earning potential, which since they can't make money in college (legally), I'm assuming you mean their draft stock, is that correct? Which the better draft spot you get the more money.  What I'm saying is, if they are an elite talent, there draft stock will be the same no matter where they go.  Because TBH most of the kids these days are projected in the draft before they even choose a school.  Thon Maker is projected to be the #1 pick in the 2017 draft already, you think if he chooses to go to UAB or Central Florida, all of the sudden they are going to drop him down to the #13 pick?

I'm saying that kids now are brand-conscious. Not all of them, but a lot of the elite talents are because they have people in their ears telling them they should be. In the '80s (this is where I came in with my point about branding -- the good ol' "Well, Scottie Pippen did it out of UCA" line), kids weren't thinking about branding. They were just trying to make into the NBA. It wasn't a given then like it is now. You had to work harder.

If Thon Maker goes to UAB or Central Florida, he won't be be seen on a national stage like he would be at other programs. That likely hurts with him sponsors (this is where "brand" comes into play). For some kids, they don't care so much about that or they aren't thinking like that. For others, that's all that matters. For some, they may have a tough decision to make if they truly want to play for a program that might not bring them as much exposure. Most elite recruits are going to go with the elite programs. It gives them a better chance at better endorsement deals after college, and in some cases, it can save their draft stock if they don't perform up to their ranking (see M. Teague, Orton, etc.).

You seem to wanting to make this is a help/hurt situation for draft stock. That's just part of it, and I don't think it necessarily has to be all help/hurt. You can not help your draft stock but that doesn't mean you hurt it. You just didn't help it.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2014, 03:18:19 pm
^^^^

This is my point.

Another good example would be Josh Harrellson. If he had had the exact same season he had as a senior at Kentucky almost anywhere else in the country, he wouldn't have gotten drafted. If Daniel Orton and Marquis Teague had had the exact same season they had as freshmen at Kentucky almost anywhere else in the country, they'd have gone the 2nd round or had to come back for their sophomore seasons. I do think playing for a small school can hurt a player when it really probably shouldn't (like Payton), but obviously you can still make it. It's just harder because you have to prove yourself more.

Glad you brought this point up, you can say the same thing about kids going to premier schools.  Let's use your Payton example.  He was un-ranked out of high school let's say he was a Kentucky kid and ended up going to Kentucky.  Do you really think with all the promises of playing time to McDonald All-Americans, no matter what he did at practice would have got off the bench, and if he did would he had got enough playing time to turn himself into a lottery prospect?  Come on man.  He actually helped himself out going to a small school where he could dominate and play a lot of minutes.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elfrid-payton

And you want to talk about branding and all that.  Again if your a good player your going to make a name for yourself no matter where you go.  Lebron James was more popular than any college player ever, and he didn't step foot on any campus.  TBH Andrew Wiggins had more hype and popularity for himself before he went to Kansas, he actually hurt his stock a little bit going to college.  And another example who's more popular and has a better shot at being a draft pick next year?  Michael Qualls (Ark) or Derek Willis (KY).  Derek Willis will be lucky if he can get in the game during the cupcake games next season.  And he was rated higher coming out of high school than Michael Qualls was on every single recruiting service.  There's probably not a person that watches college basketball (not casual fan) that doesn't know who Michael Qualls is.  I highly doubt many people know who Derek Willis is, TBH I had to look his name up myself, because I couldn't remember it and watched almost every KY game this year.

Marcus Lee is another example.  Did you see how good this kid was in the NCAA tournament after Cauley-Stein got hurt?  Image if Cauley-Stein would have been healthy, most people still wouldn't even know who he is, and he wouldn't have been close to being on any draft boards.  Yet, let's say he went to Georgia or Texas A&M or somewhere he would have probably been the #1 option and probably been a consensus lottery pick coming out this year.  It isn't all peaches and cream going to a "premier" school.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 04:36:08 pm
Glad you brought this point up, you can say the same thing about kids going to premier schools.  Let's use your Payton example.  He was un-ranked out of high school let's say he was a Kentucky kid and ended up going to Kentucky.  Do you really think with all the promises of playing time to McDonald All-Americans, no matter what he did at practice would have got off the bench, and if he did would he had got enough playing time to turn himself into a lottery prospect?  Come on man.  He actually helped himself out going to a small school where he could dominate and play a lot of minutes.

That's not what's being said when those media analysts say that (I don't think). You're digging way deeper into it. This is just a surface-level statement on their part. They're just swapping out names on the front the jersey with on consideration to how he would have actually gotten to that point.

But.....helped himself out by going to a small school? Eh, maybe poor wording? He's damn lucky to be where he is right now having come out of the Sun Belt. I've seen guys play more minutes in the Sun Belt and be more dominant and not get a look from the NBA. Bo McCalebb immediately comes to mind. Payton wasn't even Sun Belt POY. I wouldn't consider him going to ULL a benefit.

Quote from: -Blu on June 15, 2014, 04:36:08 pmAnd you want to talk about branding and all that.  Again if your a good player your going to make a name for yourself no matter where you go.  Lebron James was more popular than any college player ever, and he didn't step foot on any campus.  TBH Andrew Wiggins had more hype and popularity for himself before he went to Kansas, he actually hurt his stock a little bit going to college.  And another example who's more popular and has a better shot at being a draft pick next year?  Michael Qualls (Ark) or Derek Willis (KY).  Derek Willis will be lucky if he can get in the game during the cupcake games next season.  And he was rated higher coming out of high school than Michael Qualls was on every single recruiting service.  There's probably not a person that watches college basketball (not casual fan) that doesn't know who Michael Qualls is.  I highly doubt many people know who Derek Willis is, TBH I had to look his name up myself, because I couldn't remember it and watched almost every KY game this year.

Marcus Lee is another example.  Did you see how good this kid was in the NCAA tournament after Cauley-Stein got hurt?  Image if Cauley-Stein would have been healthy, most people still wouldn't even know who he is, and he wouldn't have been close to being on any draft boards.  Yet, let's say he went to Georgia or Texas A&M or somewhere he would have probably been the #1 option and probably been a consensus lottery pick coming out this year.  It isn't all peaches and cream going to a "premier" school.

No, it isn't always "peaches and cream" at elite programs. But a lot of kids think it is. And I already said that going to an elite program can help or hurt a player. But that doesn't change the perception and the way these kids think and what they're being told. These are elements that were not present or at least not nearly has prevalent as they were in eras past. It's a game-changing aspect to recruiting.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2014, 04:43:44 pm
But that doesn't change the perception and the way these kids think and what they're being told. These are elements that were not present or at least not nearly has prevalent as they were in eras past. It's a game-changing aspect to recruiting.

I'll agree with you about that being the perception from kids and the media, your right on that.  But, doesn't mean that's correct.  TBH I think it hurts some kids in some situations, right now the perception is go to KY and you'll be a first round pick.  But in reality these kids are like ESPN top 25 kids they could go anywhere and if they had good season be a first round pick.

I'll use the Harrisons for example, I didn't think KY was a good fit for them as far as style of play and utilizing their strengths.  They are both long guards, that like attacking the basket, and has the potential to be a problem on the defensive end with their length and speed.  If they play in a system like ours or even something similar like a Louisville I think their draft stock doesn't drop that much, they were both projected lottery picks before the season started.  Instead they played in a slower paced offense and had a ton of big guys that clogged the lanes, where they couldn't attack as much as they wanted to.  Andrew was forced to be a true PG, which is something he won't be in the NBA, he'll either be a 2 guard or play a more scoring PG role ie. Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, etc.  Now they did start to figure things out in the end of the tourney, but their draft stock of being late first/early second had been sealed by all their play during the season.

Waldron_Hog

Would Doug McDermott have been as popular if he would've gone to a big school and been just another face in the crowd?  What about Steph curry?

Hawg Red

McDermott and Curry really had no choice. Lightly-rated out of HS.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2014, 05:18:00 pm
McDermott and Curry really had no choice. Lightly-rated out of HS.

Even if they would've, they may have been better suited or done the same by going to small schools though. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 15, 2014, 10:55:00 pm
Even if they would've, they may have been better suited or done the same by going to small schools though.

Could have been the case. We'll never know.

20gauge

Think you guys are forgetting that these playrs also go and work out for these teams. Which affects their draft stock as well.

These players are recruited on talent and drafted on talent. Goodwin might be a good example. Rated high in high school, really didnt do much in college (probably shoul dhave stayed another year) and ended up getting drafted late first round didnt he. Thats all just based off of what he could have been and not what where he went.

Now yo have the guys form oversees comong in as well, playing semi pro ball over there and some of the college teams here would run them off the court. But we consistantly see them taken high in drafts these days.

But to get things straight Malik Monk will be in the NBA. He will be there whether he plays at UAPB, UCA or where ever. His stock wont drop coming to Arkansas its not like we are the worst program in America. He will either be a Hog (hoping) or land at one of the major basketball powers when he graduates. In all likleyhood a one and done at any of them depending on the season he has.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 20gauge on June 16, 2014, 10:50:52 am
Think you guys are forgetting that these playrs also go and work out for these teams. Which affects their draft stock as well.

These players are recruited on talent and drafted on talent. Goodwin might be a good example. Rated high in high school, really didnt do much in college (probably shoul dhave stayed another year) and ended up getting drafted late first round didnt he. Thats all just based off of what he could have been and not what where he went.

Now yo have the guys form oversees comong in as well, playing semi pro ball over there and some of the college teams here would run them off the court. But we consistantly see them taken high in drafts these days.

But to get things straight Malik Monk will be in the NBA. He will be there whether he plays at UAPB, UCA or where ever. His stock wont drop coming to Arkansas its not like we are the worst program in America. He will either be a Hog (hoping) or land at one of the major basketball powers when he graduates. In all likleyhood a one and done at any of them depending on the season he has.

Who said Monk's stock would drop if he came to Arkansas?

HawgAdvocate

20gauge

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 16, 2014, 10:55:30 am
Who said Monk's stock would drop if he came to Arkansas?
Just stating a fact.

HawgAdvocate

June 18, 2014, 11:24:12 am #80 Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:34:05 pm by HawgAdvocate
Marcus and Malik Monk did an interview with Adam Zagoria recently.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentucky-arizona-indiana-louisville-among-new-schools-in-mix-for-malik-monk/

Kentucky, Arizona, and Louisville are the latest notable schools that are getting involved with Malik. He currently has offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Memphis, SMU, Tulsa and Wake Forest, among others. 

Arkansas, Florida, and SMU are reportedly recruiting him the hardest.

HawgAdvocate

June 18, 2014, 11:26:37 am #81 Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:37:50 am by HawgAdvocate
Ben Roberts, a UK recruiting writer for the Lexington Herald-Leader, tweeted earlier today that:

Quote"2016 guard Malik Monk also says in Top 100 Camp questionnaire that he has an offer from UK. Lists Kentucky as school he most wants to visit."

https://twitter.com/NextCats/status/479266241291751424

Hawg Red

Was wondering when he'd hear about a UK offer. Calipari knows how important that particular recruit is to Arkansas (much like Archie). I think he'll make Monk a top priority for that reason alone, not that he needs added reason to add someone that good.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 18, 2014, 12:58:01 pm
Was wondering when he'd hear about a UK offer. Calipari knows how important that particular recruit is to Arkansas (much like Archie). I think he'll make Monk a top priority for that reason alone, not that he needs added reason to add someone that good.

Yeah, word is that UK will be our biggest hurdle to overcome. The longer Cal waits to formally offer, if he hasn't already, the better.

HawgAdvocate

hawgsalot

All I will say is that our coaching staff knows this is a can't miss and they are feeling very very confident as of two weeks ago.

Hawg Red

https://twitter.com/ITVHughes

QuoteMike Hughes ‏@ITVHughes 8m

Louisville new school in mix for 5-star SG Malik Monk (FREE) http://louisville.247sports.com/Board/59440/Contents/Louisville-new-school-in-mix-for-5-star-2016-SG-29209074 ... via @247Sports

Another 'big dog' after Monk.

EDIT: Just saw HA mentioned Louisville in a previous post. It's getting to the point to where it's hard to keep up with who is getting involved. We know it'd get to this point, though.

HawgAdvocate

This morning Marcus confirmed to Zagoria (SNYtv.com) that Kentucky has not yet offered Malik. Calipari has recently called though.

sunalmighty79

Is Arkansas close to landing ANYONE for the 2015 bball team?

-Blu

Quote from: sunalmighty79 on June 19, 2014, 12:28:15 pm
Is Arkansas close to landing ANYONE for the 2015 bball team?

Doesn't look like we are.  Just my 2 cents, but I would say probably the soonest we will get a commitment would be after the July period, that's when Whitt said he will make his decision, he wants to be committed when school starts, and sign in November, hopefully he signs with us.  Only other person I can think of that we may get before or around that time is maybe Blackshear, but TBH I'm not sure how hard we are recruiting him, or how interested he is in us.

With all that said, this is not necessarily a bad thing.  Because technically we only have 2 open scholarships for the 2015 class (Madden and Harris graduate).  So, one could assume that since we haven't been just heavily on the recruiting scene, and pushing for commitments the staff feels like we have a good chance of everyone else returning, and they are being very selective with those 2 open spots.  Best case scenario for us would be to return everyone, and then just bring in a couple guys that fit our system well, like a Jimmy Whitt and Melvin Frazier. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on June 19, 2014, 01:28:30 pm
Just my 2 cents, but I would say probably the soonest we will get a commitment would be after the July period, that's when Whitt said he will make his decision, he wants to be committed when school starts, and sign in November, hopefully he signs with us. 

That's not entirely accurate. Whitt told Evan Daniels on June 2nd that he wants to cut his list down to roughly five schools and start taking his visits after the camps/events all end in July. Then he plans to "commit" to a school prior to the first game of his senior season, which begins in mid to late November, so he can relax during the season.

The fall signing period goes from 11/13 through 11/20, so there's no certainty that Whitt signs in the fall.

HawgAdvocate

UK offered 5 * '16 PG Derrick Thornton recently, and that may help Arkansas with Monk. Reason being, Thornton is talking about being a package deal with 5* SG Tyus Battle. UK has given Battle first crack at playing SG for the '16 class.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/derryck-thornton-adds-kentucky-offer/

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 23, 2014, 10:21:02 am
UK offered 5 * '16 PG Derrick Thornton recently, and that may help Arkansas with Monk. Reason being, Thornton is talking about being a package deal with 5* SG Tyus Battle. UK has given Battle first crack at playing SG for the '16 class.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/derryck-thornton-adds-kentucky-offer/

Any help we can get...

forrest city joe

Quote from: MGB1229 on June 15, 2014, 12:58:47 pm
Joe Johnson was selected 10th and Brewer 14th.  Sure didn't hurt those guys playing at Arkansas. 
Bingo. i may be wrong, but i think Mike Anderson is going to get M. Monk.

rzrbackramsfan

rzrbackramsfan

That was supposed to be the recruiting video

sickboy

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 23, 2014, 10:25:48 am
Any help we can get...

Why a picture of Scott Burrell in his one season as a Bull?

Hawg Red

Quote from: sickboy on June 24, 2014, 01:58:16 am
Why a picture of Scott Burrell in his one season as a Bull?

That's the season I remember him most for. Actually, that was probably my favorite season of NBA basketball growing up.

sickboy

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 24, 2014, 09:26:55 am
That's the season I remember him most for. Actually, that was probably my favorite season of NBA basketball growing up.

Great season to be a Bulls fan. I always liked Burrell.

20gauge

Calipari has been in contact with Monk since his freshman year at EPC.