Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Rankings: Malik Monk up to #4 overall

Started by Hawg Red, June 04, 2014, 02:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 20gauge on June 25, 2014, 05:42:55 pm
Calipari has been in contact with Monk since his freshman year at EPC.

Yeah, impressively, that's how Cal operates. They identify and interact earlier than most. He's reportedly been on '16 5* SG Tyus Battle since the 8th grade. They pinpoint elite players years in advance. It's scary.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

20gauge

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 25, 2014, 06:03:44 pm
Yeah, impressively, that's how Cal operates. They identify and interact earlier than most. He's reportedly been on '16 5* SG Tyus Battle since the 8th grade. They pinpoint elite players years in advance. It's scary.
The guy has an eye for talent and connections that are unreal thats for sure.

HawgAdvocate

The Nike PG/big man camp took place this week, and Malik acknowledged the five schools recruiting him hardest: Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana and Louisville

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-monk-says-five-schools-recruiting-him-hardest/
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 27, 2014, 04:12:30 pm
The Nike PG/big man camp took place this week, and Malik acknowledged the five schools recruiting him hardest: Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana and Louisville

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-monk-says-five-schools-recruiting-him-hardest/

Hang in there, MA. We're in the land of giants.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: RUN N GUN on June 05, 2014, 09:42:09 am
Arkansas is putting the full press on him....based on the news coming out of the aau scene...he's more likely to be one and done..and the word is he wants to go somewhere and play at least 30 minutes a night...and everyone who knows Mike and his system he is not going to adjust his system to just get a guy...which is going to hurt Arkansas chances of getting him
This is totally bogus stupidity! When has MA had a player with this type of ability when MA has been apart of this program? Todd Day, Lee Mayberry , Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Kareem Reid,Lindsey Howell,Clint McDaniel, Corey Beck, did these players average less,than 30 minutes a game in this type of system? These types of players are program changers they do not sit 10 minutes a game. You bring in this type of talent you don't sit you play them and give your team the best chance to win. These type of players can play all day. How long have you been a Hog Fan? Do your homework. You sound like a troll!! And yes you do adjust your systems with these players. COME ON MAN!!! LMAO TO YOU!!! Do you post just to post?
I love off season Football!!

HawgAdvocate

LA Football fan

The good news is that since he watched every Kentucky game he saw us beat them twice last year.  He can come here and continue that streak.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: LA Football fan on June 29, 2014, 10:27:37 am
The good news is that since he watched every Kentucky game he saw us beat them twice last year.  He can come here and continue that streak.

+1
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Ironhawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 29, 2014, 08:38:16 am
Malik: "I watch every Kentucky game."

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/06/23/3305010/early-uk-target-cage-still-has.html?sp=/99/268/798/

We need Tyus Battle to commit to UK, ASAP.

This is not a popular stance, but if MA loses Monk to Kentucky I will completely lose faith in MA.  Monk is a program-changing talent located in his backyard with a link to the UA.  MA has got to be able to pull a kid like this.

20gauge

Talking ot Goodwin might be a good thing. Since Goodwins time there wasnt to good. Calapari constantly said that class was the hardest to get through to as far as coaching. But we will see.

poloprince

Quote from: Ironhawg on June 29, 2014, 01:13:03 pm
This is not a popular stance, but if MA loses Monk to Kentucky I will completely lose faith in MA.  Monk is a program-changing talent located in his backyard with a link to the UA.  MA has got to be able to pull a kid like this.

I wonder if Louisville or Kentucky fans lose faith in their coach when the #1 player from 2014 went to Ohio state.  My point is this is simply asinine 10, 11, and 12.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

July 01, 2014, 05:05:34 pm #112 Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:32:38 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: poloprince on July 01, 2014, 04:58:49 pm
I watch every Kentucky game also.

Cal offered you a scholarship yet? It don't mean much if he hasn't. ;)

PharmacistHog

Quote from: poloprince on July 01, 2014, 04:57:52 pm

I wonder if Louisville or Kentucky fans lose faith in their coach when the #1 player from 2014 went to Ohio state.  My point is this is simply asinine 10, 11, and 12.

We aren't Louisville or Kentucky.  They can afford to miss on a kid like that because they have others to step in and fill the void.  We don't have a track record of getting this type talent.  It seldom comes along in Arkansas, so when it does we need to capitalize.  I've been satisfied with Anderson, but I won't pretend that not getting Monk won't hurt or that everything will still be just fine.  We need him.  Anderson needs him. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

poloprince

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 01, 2014, 05:17:11 pm
We aren't Louisville or Kentucky.  They can afford to miss on a kid like that because they have others to step in and fill the void.  We don't have a track record of getting this type talent.  It seldom comes along in Arkansas, so when it does we need to capitalize.  I've been satisfied with Anderson, but I won't pretend that not getting Monk won't hurt or that everything will still be just fine.  We need him.  Anderson needs him.

We agree it will hurt if we are unable to secure his commitment, but i will not lose faith in the coach because of it.
$PoLoPrInCe$

PharmacistHog

Quote from: poloprince on July 01, 2014, 05:35:44 pm

We agree it will hurt if we are unable to secure his commitment, but i will not lose faith in the coach because of it.

Nah, I won't lose faith in him either.  But Monk could be one of those players who can make a coach a legend.  I firmly believe that. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hawg Red

Looking at Louisville and Kentucky's recent recruit success, I wouldn't think their fans would have any reason to lose faith in two top recruiting staffs like UL and UK's.

I get what you're saying, but that was really a poor way to try to say it considering Calipari brings in almost strictly McDonald's All-Americans every year.

LA Football fan

We lose monk then it is time for mike to go.    We have to have a coach here than can bring in elite talent from our home state.   We rarely will pick up elite talent from out of state so when we have a stretch when elite talent is coming through we have to capitalize if we want to get to the next level.  Either mike gets it done or he better hire an elite recruiter on staff.  What he has done at other stops is good but I expect him to match or exceed that here.  Mike will have been here long enough in 2016 that there is no more excuses for him.  Lose Monk in 2016 and I will be off the mike bandwagon and ready to move on to another coach period.

intelligence

Relax people. He likes the transition offense and his brother is on staff. We got a decent shot and if he goes out of state our team will be fine.  MA is takin US to the promise land whether it's with or without monk. just give it some time

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 01, 2014, 08:27:46 pm
We lose monk then it is time for mike to go.    We have to have a coach here than can bring in elite talent from our home state.   We rarely will pick up elite talent from out of state so when we have a stretch when elite talent is coming through we have to capitalize if we want to get to the next level.  Either mike gets it done or he better hire an elite recruiter on staff.  What he has done at other stops is good but I expect him to match or exceed that here.  Mike will have been here long enough in 2016 that there is no more excuses for him.  Lose Monk in 2016 and I will be off the mike bandwagon and ready to move on to another coach period.

Even if Mike goes to the Sweet 16 this year?

Ironhawg

You can think what you want.  The simple fact is that the current situation at Arkansas is nowhere close in comparison to the current situations at Louisville or Kentucky.  Where did those teams finish in the top 25 after last season?  Where did Arkansas?  What post-season tournaments did those teams play in last season?  What did Arkansas?  Those teams are in a position, with regard to national respect and recruiting ability, where they can afford to lose top talent because they can bring in other talent that is equal.  Arkansas is not in that position.  Arkansas is currently a team struggling to get back into the national conversation and Monk is a top-tier, program-changing type talent who is located in their backyard, has a connection to the program, and who would flourish in Arkansas' system.  Landing him would be a tremendous boost to Arkansas.  Failure to land him likely means that Arkansas will have to settle for lesser talent. 
I have not lost faith in Mike Anderson yet, but I believe Arkansas must make a big step up this year and must start winning some of the recruiting battles for top level talent.  Whitt has not made an announcement.  Monk has not made an announcement, so there are still reasons to be patient and believe. 

LA Football fan

If Mike makes the sweet sixteen then I fully expect Monk to sign with us and the question of me losing faith in Mike is a moot point.  If we have another year of no dancing in the tournament I fully expect Monk to sign elsewhere.  My position on Mike Anderson is based on him getting the job done after 5 years on the job.  If he doesn't then it won't be because I didn't give him time to build his program before saying I am done with him as head coach.  I was for his hiring and haven't said anything about replacing him before 2016.  To me he won't be making ANY deep runs much less make it to the NCAA tournament if he cannot land the top players from our state consistently.  Monk is the type player you need to make a deep NCAA tournament run.   Portis proves how getting a top in state talent can get your program back to being competitive on a national level.  But landing one every 3 to 4 years is not going to get us where the fans are expecting Mike to take us. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to this year and I really do expect us to improve some more and make the dance.  I am not anti Mike.  It has taken him longer than I thought it would but that is okay.  I am just saying that by year 6 of his tenure, he should be able to land a Monk level talent from in state.  If he cannot get that done then why would I expect it to be any better in the future with him at the helm.   Results is what I expect from a coach being paid top dollar.  He will have the new practice facility and a top flight gym to recruit to.  No more excuses on why players from our state are leaving to play at other programs.

Malik I am sincerely hoping you choose to stay home and play for the Hogs.  I believe Mike can give you the minutes and on court style to let your game flourish and shine.   I am proud of how you have represented the state on a local and national level.   I am proud of the work you have put into being a tremendous basketball player.  Whatever your decision, I will always wish the best for you and your family. 

-Blu

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 02, 2014, 09:02:05 am
If Mike makes the sweet sixteen then I fully expect Monk to sign with us and the question of me losing faith in Mike is a moot point.  If we have another year of no dancing in the tournament I fully expect Monk to sign elsewhere.  My position on Mike Anderson is based on him getting the job done after 5 years on the job.  If he doesn't then it won't be because I didn't give him time to build his program before saying I am done with him as head coach.  I was for his hiring and haven't said anything about replacing him before 2016.  To me he won't be making ANY deep runs much less make it to the NCAA tournament if he cannot land the top players from our state consistently.  Monk is the type player you need to make a deep NCAA tournament run.   Portis proves how getting a top in state talent can get your program back to being competitive on a national level.  But landing one every 3 to 4 years is not going to get us where the fans are expecting Mike to take us. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to this year and I really do expect us to improve some more and make the dance.  I am not anti Mike.  It has taken him longer than I thought it would but that is okay.  I am just saying that by year 6 of his tenure, he should be able to land a Monk level talent from in state.  If he cannot get that done then why would I expect it to be any better in the future with him at the helm.   Results is what I expect from a coach being paid top dollar.  He will have the new practice facility and a top flight gym to recruit to.  No more excuses on why players from our state are leaving to play at other programs.

Malik I am sincerely hoping you choose to stay home and play for the Hogs.  I believe Mike can give you the minutes and on court style to let your game flourish and shine.   I am proud of how you have represented the state on a local and national level.   I am proud of the work you have put into being a tremendous basketball player.  Whatever your decision, I will always wish the best for you and your family.

You sure do have a lot of entitlement in all of your posts all your saying is "I gave him this" and "I give him that" did you hire Mike or something or are you signing the pay checks?  You act like your the determining factor in him keeping his job. 

Were all fans here and want the best for the program and want to see success, but some of you guys need a little reality check, you think your a little more important than you really are.  I don't understand the point of coming on a fan board of a team, and then telling other people that are rooting for that team, that if things don't go a certain way your going to be done with them.  If your done or going to be done if things don't go your way, no need to tell us and try to make yourself feel more important, you can just stop coming around.

Hawg Red

It benefits no one for Mike Anderson to not be here in 2-3 years. We need him here 6 years from now. We need this to work. Badly.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 03, 2014, 09:01:06 am
It benefits no one for Mike Anderson to not be here in 2-3 years. We need him here 6 years from now. We need this to work. Badly.

Very much ^^^^this!^^^^

HawgAdvocate

Absolutely.

HawgAdvocate

On Tuesday, Kentucky Rivals writer T.J. Ward tweeted "some schools are backing off Malik Monk because he's considered an Arkansas lean. Not UK."

Of course, a Kentucky Rivals article came with it:

https://kentucky.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=888&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1655343

I'm not a Rivals subscriber, but the first sentence/tease is worth noting though.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 03, 2014, 02:19:33 pm
On Tuesday, Kentucky Rivals writer T.J. Ward tweeted "some schools are backing off Malik Monk because he's considered an Arkansas lean. Not UK."

Of course, a Kentucky Rivals article came with it:

https://kentucky.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=888&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1655343

I'm not a Rivals subscriber, but the first sentence/tease is worth noting though.

Oh dear lord, please let it be true. Please.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 03, 2014, 02:29:26 pm
Oh dear lord, please let it be true. Please.

I just thought of something...

Has there ever been a kid that had an immediate family member on staff of a high major program, and had strong family ties to the school, and lives basically in the same town as the school, and selected to go somewhere else?

HawgAdvocate

Former Hog and NWA radio personality Nick Mason, who actually does speak with Marcus Monk on occasion, tweeted yesterday that:

"@_Nick5000: Just got word from a friend that Larry Brown is about to make a strong push for the services of Malik Monk."

https://twitter.com/_Nick5000/status/488368736974290944

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2014, 10:05:08 am
Former Hog and NWA radio personality Nick Mason, who actually does speak with Marcus Monk on occasion, tweeted yesterday that:

"@_Nick5000: Just got word from a friend that Larry Brown is about to make a strong push for the services of Malik Monk.”

Where's the guy that said I was wasting my time worrying about Larry Brown at SMU? 

Also...  Boo!

Hawg Red

I actually still wouldn't worry about SMU. I think if we lose Monk, it'll be to a school like Kentucky, Florida, Duke, UNC, or Kansas. A program with long, sustained success.

But that's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2014, 10:05:08 am

"@_Nick5000: Just got word from a friend that Larry Brown is about to make a strong push for the services of Malik Monk."

1000% sure Larry Brown won't be the only coach doing this

Hog Fan from Camden

Real talk!

20gauge

Also heard on the radio last week. the soon to be 3rd assistant coach at Memphis was talking to Marcus and Malik at one of the basketball camps.
kansas, Duke or UK if he doesnt end up with the Hogs.

HawgAdvocate

Monk will take an unofficial to Kentucky starting on August 6th.

intelligence

August 02, 2014, 06:30:37 pm #136 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:58:06 pm by intelligence
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 01, 2014, 08:21:19 pm
Monk will take an unofficial to Kentucky starting on August 6th.

And so the waiting game begins. Some people can't stand it, but there are many reasons Monk would choose these other schools over us,. and there are only a few reasons he would choose to stay home and play for the Hogs. That doesn't mean we're not a good school or that we're "Poor Little ol Arkansas". It means we've arrived, and we're starting to battle with the top schools for the services of top recruits, and as far as these battles go you win some, you lose some.

To many fans out their are banking it all on Monk to be the savior of the Razorbacks, and just like clockwork they come out of the woodworks to downplay any one who tries to contest us for the services of Malik, which is childish and doesn't look good for our fanbase at all. I say we have a better chance landing players of his caliber when we can learn to keep that loud, but vocal minority of our fanbase to keep their damn mouths shut.

Obviously, right now the only thing we have going for us in Malik's situation:

a) we're the hogs. He's most likely been a razorback fan for a long time.
b) His brother played for the hogs and is a GA on Mike's Staff.
c) He can make it to the league from virtually any school, and he would have above average exposure at Arkansas.
d)Conditioning. Arkansas will put you in great shape and prepare you to play alot of minutes.
e)Has great chances to prove himself vs Kentucky and Florida, games where everyone will be watching.

The things Kentucky has going for them:

a)Calipari gets kids to the league.
b)Prestigious Program
c)Virtually unmatched Exposure, as kentucky is a household name.
d)playing against high level competition every day in practice.
e)likely to have a scout in attendance at every game, so chances of making positive impressions are perhaps more frequent than at other schools.

The things SMU has going for them:

a)HOF coach in larry brown can get you to the league and make you a better player in the process.
b)The exposure that comes with playing for Larry Brown.
c)Proximity to major television markets.
d)Nba teams in your back yard. Easier access for scouts.

Now lets look a the cons of playing for Arkansas:

a) Frenetic pace demands alot of stamina out of an athlete.
b) Possibility of less scouting visits.
c) Lack of a practice facility.
d) Obtrusive fans on twitter.
f)  Pressure to perform and fan expectations.
e) Demanding defensive style is not for the weak of heart.
g) Less talent around him than at Kentucky or other Elite programs

The cons of playing for Kentucky:

a)Possibility of getting lost on the depth chart(unrealistic in maliks case, but its possible)
b)Backlash from vocal minority of Arkansas' fanbase. Let's face it we have that section of our fanbase that doesn't know when to shut its damn mouth.
c)Coach has a less than stellar track record with the NCAA. Could come under intense scrutiny or be the subject of a media witch hunt at any given time.

The cons of playing for SMU:
a)smaller school, less nationally broadcast games.
b)weaker competition on average than what would be faced @ arkansas or @ kentucky.
c)culture shock. SMU is located in a major metropolitan area, compared to Fayetteville and Lexington.