Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Rankings: Malik Monk up to #4 overall

Started by Hawg Red, June 04, 2014, 02:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

HawgAdvocate

Good to see De'Ron Davis' name, @ 14.

He's going to Europe this summer to participate in the 2014 Adidas EUROCAMP.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/sports/preps/boys-basketball-overlands-deron-davis-stamp-passport-trip-italy/
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Been10Hog

Looks like #7 by my read. Still pretty awesome!!!

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

yraciv

Know it doesn't mean anything yet, but pretty awesome everyone that is considering us in 2016 is a 5 star Top 15 prospect on ESPN.  Dedric Lawson comes in at 7 and Terrance Ferguson is in there at 10, no matter how far a long shot those feel like to me.

ShadowTheHedgehog

What is the scoop on MM, how likely is it that we will get him?

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on June 04, 2014, 04:11:12 pm

No one really knows. He's supposedly fond of a couple elite programs but we're still supposed to be in the mix. We need to give him a good reason to come with our performance this coming season.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 04:13:01 pm
No one really knows. He's supposedly fond of a couple elite programs but we're still supposed to be in the mix. We need to give him a good reason to come with our performance this coming season.

He could be the person to build the team around and take a big step into becoming an top program, I also think landing a player like this will benefit recruiting across the board not just in basketball. Hope we can land him and thanks for the answer.

sowmonella

Getting rid of the one and done rule would help our chances.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Paul

Quote from: hvsupastar on June 04, 2014, 03:35:22 pm
Boy it's going to hurt if he gets away
I think his signing or loss will make or break MA's career at UA 

fullfan

Quote from: sowmonella on June 04, 2014, 05:24:46 pm
Getting rid of the one and done rule would help our chances.
How?  You can be one and done from Arkansas as easily as any other program if you have the ability.  He certainly does so he can get to the league as easily from Fayetteville as Lexington or Lawrence.   My guess is he will opt for one of the latter destinations but keeping on hoping.

hogman99

Quote from: Paul on June 04, 2014, 05:39:23 pm

From a fan perspective I would agree, but not sure from an AD perspective.  It could also depend on if any other top recruits come.

poloprince

Dumb dumb
$PoLoPrInCe$

WorfHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on June 04, 2014, 04:11:12 pm

Marcus is a former Hog and GA on the basketball team, that's got to count for something right? Right?

jry04

Quote from: WorfHog on June 04, 2014, 08:54:28 pm
Marcus is a former Hog and GA on the basketball team, that's got to count for something right? Right?
And his cousin currently plays for them.

RUN N GUN

Arkansas is putting the full press on him....based on the news coming out of the aau scene...he's more likely to be one and done..and the word is he wants to go somewhere and play at least 30 minutes a night...and everyone who knows Mike and his system he is not going to adjust his system to just get a guy...which is going to hurt Arkansas chances of getting him

Hawg Red

Quote from: RUN N GUN on June 05, 2014, 09:42:09 am
Arkansas is putting the full press on him....based on the news coming out of the aau scene...he's more likely to be one and done..and the word is he wants to go somewhere and play at least 30 minutes a night...and everyone who knows Mike and his system he is not going to adjust his system to just get a guy...which is going to hurt Arkansas chances of getting him

Portis averaged 27 minutes as a freshman, so if you're good enough, you can get 30 minutes in Anderson's system.

RUN N GUN

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2014, 09:49:25 am
Portis averaged 27 minutes as a freshman, so if you're good enough, you can get 30 minutes in Anderson's system.

Everybody knew Bobby was coming to Arkansas..Mike didn't have to really recruit bobby everybody knew he always wanted to be a hog...that can't be said for Malik...his situation is almost like Archie, which will be more of a business decision on his future

Hawg Red

Quote from: RUN N GUN on June 05, 2014, 09:53:38 am
Everybody knew Bobby was coming to Arkansas..Mike didn't have to really recruit bobby everybody knew he always wanted to be a hog...that can't be said for Malik...his situation is almost like Archie, which will be more of a business decision on his future

Not sure what that has to do with my response to that particular statement about minutes played.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: WorfHog on June 04, 2014, 08:54:28 pm

That's what I was thinking. He was the go-to WR when he played here, he must have some good memories to tell his brother.

CPO Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2014, 09:54:38 am
Not sure what that has to do with my response to that particular statement about minutes played.

I think it supported your statement?? CMA didn't have to promise him minutes but he was good enought to get them (27). I bet he gets over 30 this year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: CPO Hog on June 05, 2014, 09:57:01 am
I think it supported your statement?? CMA didn't have to promise him minutes but he was good enought to get them (27). I bet he gets over 30 this year.

Not sure I'm seeing that.

But, anyway, my point is that the poster I quoted said Malik wants to go somewhere and play 30 minutes a game and that Anderson wouldn't adjust his system just to get Malik here, but I pointed out that he doesn't have to adjust anything because players that are good enough to warrant that kind of playing time will get it (even as freshmen). There's no reason for anyone involved to not assume Malik is not that good, and with Marcus on staff, I don't think that will be an issue. There are a bunch of other things that might keep Malik from being a Hog but potential lack of playing time isn't one of them, IMO.

MemphisBossHog

uh oh, sounds like the snake oil salesman from Lexington, KY, fresh from signing his new mega coaching deal might be lurking. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on June 04, 2014, 04:16:30 pm
He could be the person to build the team around and take a big step into becoming an top program, I also think landing a player like this will benefit recruiting across the board not just in basketball. Hope we can land him and thanks for the answer.
I was thinking the same.  MM may be a one and done, but if he commits, it brings attention to the program.  It shows other 4 and 5 star players that Arkansas can land that type of recruit and might make them take a 2nd look. 

I'm hoping the "business decision" isn't a big part of it.  It would seem that with the SEC Network/ESPN and all that, he could get exposure at Arkansas just like any other school.

The problem is that if he goes to KY or KAN, he will be playing in big national TV games that Arkansas most likely cant match.

For some reason, I really think Mike needs to get him.  If Arkansas has his brother on staff (and someone posted his cousin plays for AR as well) and we still cannot land him, that just doesn't look good at all.

Paul

.  Malik is a must get for MA

rzrbackramsfan

http://youtu.be/MECmaVX9Fzs

A good new Malik video.  I can't wait to play with him on 2k after he does his one year at arkansas.

bruisemeister

I think the Hogs success this year will be the deciding factor. It will only help the Hogs chances if they make it far in the NCAA tourney. You can almost kiss him goodbye if they fail to make the tourney this year.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 09, 2014, 12:13:42 am

http://youtu.be/MECmaVX9Fzs

A good new Malik video.  I can't wait to play with him on 2k after he does his one year at arkansas.

Me thinks you need a girlfriend, if thats what you can't wait for.

hoghiker

You think Mike would have played Corliss 30 minutes per game? I do. Surely, right?

hawgmasta

Anton as a junior; Whitt (if we get him) as a sophomore and then if we go Monk?!

I think those problems we were having with guard play wouldn't be there anymore.

gibby

Quote from: RUN N GUN on June 05, 2014, 09:53:38 am
...his situation is almost like Archie, which will be more of a business decision on his future

Archie was going to NBA no matter where he played his one year.  He chose to go to Kentucky, rather than Arkansas.  His college experience, from the outside looking in, could have been much better.  Suppose someone like Monk notices things like a coach and player getting in a shouting match court-side?  Archie will never be an Arkansas celebrity.  Malik could be.  One-and-done can happen anywhere...including BWA.

Est. 1981

I have not seen him play in person and haven't watched any highlight videos either. How good is this kid? Looks like he's going to be the most sought after BB player out of HS in the state of AR in history.
UofA Alumni 2007

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on June 09, 2014, 09:10:48 am
Me thinks you need a girlfriend, if thats what you can't wait for.

Why? It'd be cool to play with a former razorback on that game.  I guess you're too cool to play video games, hogville regular.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Est. 1981 on June 09, 2014, 05:05:05 pm
I have not seen him play in person and haven't watched any highlight videos either. How good is this kid? Looks like he's going to be the most sought after BB player out of HS in the state of AR in history.

you gotta watch his highlights.  I posted a link about 3 posts up.

Sawyer

Quote from: gibby on June 09, 2014, 11:26:44 am
Archie was going to NBA no matter where he played his one year.  He chose to go to Kentucky, rather than Arkansas.  His college experience, from the outside looking in, could have been much better.  Suppose someone like Monk notices things like a coach and player getting in a shouting match court-side?  Archie will never be an Arkansas celebrity.  Malik could be.  One-and-done can happen anywhere...including BWA.

How many NBA players care about being a celebrity in Arkansas?

bruisemeister

He will definitely end up being the greatest high school player out of the state. That includes Corliss, Willie Cutts and Keith Lee. Enjoy him while he is here. I would love for him to be a Razorback.

gibby

Quote from: Sawyer on June 10, 2014, 01:11:33 am
How many NBA players care about being a celebrity in Arkansas?

Ask Corliss that question.

1highhog

Quote from: gibby on June 10, 2014, 10:42:55 pm

You can ask Joe Johnson that question, you can ask Moncrief, Brewer Sr., Brewer Jr., and Joe Kliene, you can ask Joe anytime and he'll be happy to tell you.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 02:13:21 pm
You can ask Joe Johnson that question, you can ask Moncrief, Brewer Sr., Brewer Jr., and Joe Kliene, you can ask Joe anytime and he'll be happy to tell you.

Quote from: gibby on June 10, 2014, 10:42:55 pm

I understand the points being made by both sides, but you guys do realize that you've only named two players that are currently playing in the NBA, right? And, as unfortunate as it is, Ronnie Jr.'s career isn't exactly on the upswing either. Based on his recent amount of playing he's seen, he may be out of the league within the next few years.

In the context of the debate, having to go back 35 years just to list 5+ names doesn't overcome the 'business decision' concept.

online-with-swine

Is it more the school putting the player in the league or the player?  If he comes here the NBA will find him.  I imagine they are already well aware of him and his potential.

Hawg Red

Better the program, the better the chance to begin building your brand. Also, coming from a particular school can enhance your draft standing. I've seen analysts say that if ULL's Elfrid Payton went to Duke or Kentucky, he's be a clear-cut top 10 pick inside of having somewhat of a shot like he has now. More exposure comes with playing at biggger schools. This can help or hurt a player, but there's no doubt it gives a player a leg up. NBA is likely to find you either way but it's much easier to be found at UK or Duke or UNC. Maybe someday Arkansas will be in that mix.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 09, 2014, 02:10:42 am
I think the Hogs success this year will be the deciding factor. It will only help the Hogs chances if they make it far in the NCAA tourney. You can almost kiss him goodbye if they fail to make the tourney this year.
We should kiss Anderson goodbye if we don't make the tourney this year but too many people like FCJ think he's god's gift to Arkansas basketball.  No excuses this year.  Make the tournament.  It will help in recruiting and exposure. 

Carl Lazlo

Scottie Pippen played at UCA.  Even in the 80s scouts could find talent anywhere.  It doesn't matter if you play in Croatia or Fayetteville, AR if you're a baller you'll be drafted at the top.  And if you put in the work you'll be an NBA all star. Like Joe Johnson and his bullion.

Hawg Red

Players didn't come into college looking to establish their own brand in the '80s. Huge factor being missed in all this "NBA will find you anywhere" talk. It's simply a different ballgame and it starts at an early age now.

Time to let go of the happenings of the '80s and even early to mid '90s. Kids know they will get drafted if they're good enough, but they know their best chance at maximizing their earning potential is to go to a premier program that gets a lot of pub on TV and pits them against other top talent more frequently. Would Anthony Davis have gone #1 overall if he played a year at UCA? No, he wouldn't have. He'd have been a lottery pick but would have missed out on millions still.

ChicoHog

Great point about establishing a brand.  Now it's all abut "me, me, and me".  Most of these kids play for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey.  That's why many mid-majors do so well with mid level recruits.  they stay for 4 years, develop into good players and play for the team vs trying to establish a brand and get publicity.  I understand why these kids do it.  Just not a fan of it. 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 11, 2014, 11:28:43 pm
Players didn't come into college looking to establish their own brand in the '80s. Huge factor being missed in all this "NBA will find you anywhere" talk. It's simply a different ballgame and it starts at an early age now.

Time to let go of the happenings of the '80s and even early to mid '90s. Kids know they will get drafted if they're good enough, but they know their best chance at maximizing their earning potential is to go to a premier program that gets a lot of pub on TV and pits them against other top talent more frequently. Would Anthony Davis have gone #1 overall if he played a year at UCA? No, he wouldn't have. He'd have been a lottery pick but would have missed out on millions still.

Pure speculation

Hawg Red

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on June 12, 2014, 03:13:56 pm
Pure speculation

I'm not speculating on anything. Players, at really too young of an age these days, are very brand-conscious.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 02:44:09 pm
I understand the points being made by both sides, but you guys do realize that you've only named two players that are currently playing in the NBA, right? And, as unfortunate as it is, Ronnie Jr.'s career isn't exactly on the upswing either. Based on his recent amount of playing he's seen, he may be out of the league within the next few years.

In the context of the debate, having to go back 35 years just to list 5+ names doesn't overcome the 'business decision' concept.

To me the deciding factor will be if he is a multi dimensional player or just a scorer. IMHO Moncrief is the best Hog of all time. He scored, rebounded, played great defense, and gave out assists. To be the best you have to do it all. The jury is still out ,but Malik has a great chance to be the best ever. How is he at the FT line. That is important to me.