Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Top 50 Coaches

Started by Hawg Red, June 02, 2014, 12:52:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mjsphd

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 06, 2014, 05:59:33 pm
Larry Brown is #21

20 coaches better than Larry Brown?  That's a joke.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: mjsphd on June 06, 2014, 09:06:01 pm

They aren't talking about pros. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawkhawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 08, 2014, 11:25:10 am
They aren't talking about pros. 

He has only coached like 8 or 9 years in college and has three final fours and a national championship.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mjsphd on June 06, 2014, 09:06:01 pm

It's only a ranking over the last 5 years I believe

Adam Stokes

Just to restate what the article already mentioned but some aren't seeming to grasp:

Quote Which coaches are doing the best job right now?

We've been thinking about that question this offseason, looking for the best way to quantify the answer. Luckily, we've got ESPN Forecast. Last week, we asked a panel of nearly 100 ESPN writers, editors, broadcasters and researchers to rate college basketball coaches on all aspects of running a program, on a scale of 1-10. (The crucial distinction here is that the prompt was not career-oriented. This isn't about legacy. It's all about the present.) We compiled their scores and ranked the names, and now comes the fun part: The big reveal.

So basically if you think that Mike Anderson was running the program better than 80% of division one coaches, then you shouldn't be griping, (which judging by a lot of posters last year, he wasn't.)  If you think he did, then you are free to carry on.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Adam Stokes on June 08, 2014, 11:08:29 pm
Just to restate what the article already mentioned but some aren't seeming to grasp:

So basically if you think that Mike Anderson was running the program better than 80% of division one coaches, then you shouldn't be griping, (which judging by a lot of posters last year, he wasn't.)  If you think he did, then you are free to carry on.

True, but the problem is that if we do exactly as expected this next season (make the tournament), he'll be a shoo-in for the top 50. It's a weak metric if it's going to change so rapidly from year to year.

bruisemeister

Lets not bash the poll until its complete. You never know. He may actually be ranked. You do have to remember it is an ESPN poll. The fact that they even have little Rick in  over an established coach like Crean kills its legitamacy. If I am not mistaken, Indiana went far in the NCAA tourney a couple of years ago while Minnesota was just a NIT team this year. These ESPN polls are usually biased anyhow. There will probably be a lot of former Duke assistants in the mix. I'm sure guys like Quinn Snyder and Matt Doherty made it in similar polls in the past. If Mike doesn't make it, he only has to prove it on the court Kevin Ollie style.

EastexHawg

Quote from: warriorlion on June 06, 2014, 10:00:46 am
I hope he is somewhere in the 10-12 range myself.

I was speechless until I went back and realized you used the word "hope".

We may have the most nostalgic fan base in America.  Mike is still considered by some to be The Savior because of something his boss...and players who are long gone and never coming back...did 20 years ago.

HawgAdvocate

Thad Motta is #20

Quote"If there is one overriding criterion that has defined the rankings, it is recency. Confusing as that has been for some readers, it was also by design. This isn't a legacy list. We're not ranking coaches on their careers. We're ranking these guys based on how well they're performing right now, and how well they've primed their programs for the season(s) to come."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches20/no-20-ohio-state-thad-matta
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 09, 2014, 02:53:47 pm
Thad Motta is #20

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches20/no-20-ohio-state-thad-matta

Dayton?

Yeah Mike's not going to be on this list. Given the extreme favoritism should to "recency" he doesn't deserve it. But he's a good coach and he'll be on it next year when we Dance, which is the flaw in this system.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 09, 2014, 10:11:24 pm
Dayton?

Yeah Mike's not going to be on this list. Given the extreme favoritism should to "recency" he doesn't deserve it. But he's a good coach and he'll be on it next year when we Dance, which is the flaw in this system.

It's clearly more than just the prior season, as the quote clearly stated. He's had a Final Four and an Elite Eight the two seasons prior, plus he has three 5* players coming in 2014. The loss to Dayton is likely keeping him out of the top 10.

bruisemeister

Motta deserves to be higher. I just noticed Steve Alford is #36. This poll is officially ridiculous.

Anyhow, Coach K, Calipari, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Ollie, Boeheim, Donovan, Roy Williams, Sean Miller, Chaka, Beilein, Greg Marshall, Mark Few, Jay Wright, Bo Rein. That leaves 3 for Mike unless I missed someone.

latrops

If CMA isn't on this list then....well....nothing.  It doesn't matter in the slightest.  Nobody but Arkansas fans are really paying attention to Arkansas basketball right now...but we are slowly trending upward.  When we get back into the NCAAT and start winning meaningful games against meaningful competition, especially out of conference, perception will improve.  Not there yet, but getting closer.

nextlevel

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 10, 2014, 03:00:20 am
Motta deserves to be higher. I just noticed Steve Alford is #36. This poll is officially ridiculous.

Anyhow, Coach K, Calipari, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Ollie, Boeheim, Donovan, Roy Williams, Sean Miller, Chaka, Beilein, Greg Marshall, Mark Few, Jay Wright, Bo Rein. That leaves 3 for Mike unless I missed someone.

It doesn't matter. The more ridiculous, the better, as it accomplishes the intent which is to drive up the number of page hits which are used to sell advertising.

Its an opinion piece nothing more nothing less, any poster could start a thread and do the same style ranking using their own criteria, if they wanted, to express their opinion.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

warriorlion

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 09, 2014, 08:38:19 am
I was speechless until I went back and realized you used the word "hope".

We may have the most nostalgic fan base in America.  Mike is still considered by some to be The Savior because of something his boss...and players who are long gone and never coming back...did 20 years ago.
U
You must not have any 10-12 knowledge if hope was a key word, cause hope has nothing to do with the biggers picture!

EastexHawg

Quote from: warriorlion on June 10, 2014, 05:15:03 pm
U
You must not have any 10-12 knowledge if hope was a key word, cause hope has nothing to do with the biggers picture!

Unless Barbara Billingsley is around to translate I think I need a subtitle for this one.

HawgAdvocate

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 07:27:36 pm
Steve Fisher - #18

Forgot about Fisher. He's been quiet over at San Diego State although they've been pretty good every year.

HawgAdvocate

TomBigBeeHog

ESPN likes to make crap up for the mindless among us who needs someone to tell them what to think.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 13, 2014, 10:15:16 am
ESPN likes to make crap up for the mindless among us who needs someone to tell them what to think.

LOL.... ok.

HawgAdvocate

Dr. Starcs

HogBreath

Wow..if CMA is in the top 15, we're gonna party like it's 1999...er 1994 or 95...early to mid 90's anyways.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

TomBigBeeHog

Usual ESPN pundit pot stirring. Professional trolling of the fan bases. 
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

majestic

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 11, 2014, 10:46:45 am
Unless Barbara Billingsley is around to translate I think I need a subtitle for this one.
I speak jive.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 13, 2014, 10:15:16 am

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 14, 2014, 01:04:11 pm
Usual ESPN pundit pot stirring. Professional trolling of the fan bases. 

Those 50 or so ESPN college hoops writers, editors, broadcasters and analysts who put this list together are all just a bunch of meanies, aren't they?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 14, 2014, 02:02:30 pm
Those 50 or so ESPN college hoops writers, editors, broadcasters and analysts who put this list together are all just a bunch of meanies, aren't they?

We're Arkansas. We have to earn everything we get and sometimes that's not even enough to get our props. There is a bias against Arkansas by some in the national media and the general population that goes beyond sports. As an Arkansan, I have learned those lessons in travels and conversing with those of other regions.

However, from the mocking tone of your retort, I would assume you want to argue. That won't be necessary.

HogBreath

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 14, 2014, 05:37:48 pm
We're Arkansas. We have to earn everything we get and sometimes that's not even enough to get our props. There is a bias against Arkansas by some in the national media and the general population that goes beyond sports. As an Arkansan, I have learned those lessons in travels and conversing with those of other regions.

I wonder if they disliked you because you were from Arkansas or because you were not from there?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bruisemeister

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2014, 07:27:36 pm
Steve Fisher - #18
Nice guy but.......Granted, he did win a national title when Bill Frider took another job right before the Big Dance and Bo Schembechler said only a Michigan man will coach the team. However, he never could get another title with all those great recruits. He had the Fab 5 and failed. He also had another banner class in 1995(rated #1 by some)and only managed the NIT championship with that bunch(Tractor Traylor, Maurice Taylor, Jerod Ward{remember him?}.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HogBreath on June 14, 2014, 10:27:06 pm
I wonder if they disliked you because you were from Arkansas or because you were not from there?

???

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 14, 2014, 05:37:48 pm

There's nothing to argue about. Look at your three complaints:

1) ESPN pundit (50 of them?) pot stirring
2) the mindless who read/watch what ESPN 'makes up'
3) the perception that 'your travels' has led to you to believe there is a national bias against Arkansas, beyond sports

You are welcome to hate ESPN and the national sports media all you like. Of course, none those complaints have any bearing with what this thread is about.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 15, 2014, 09:00:52 am
There's nothing to argue about. Look at your three complaints:

1) ESPN pundit (50 of them?) pot stirring
2) the mindless who read/watch what ESPN 'makes up'
3) the perception that 'your travels' has led to you to believe there is a national bias against Arkansas, beyond sports

You are welcome to hate ESPN and the national sports media all you like. Of course, none those complaints have any bearing with what this thread is about.

1.  Yes, ESPN throws stuff out there just to get people talking and to promote their sports talk shows. You might not know that.

2.  Yes, there are some people who cite the last opinion they heard as a fact. Especially if it comes out of the mouth of a TV personality.

3.  Yes, there is a bias against Arkansas and southerners in general by some in other geographical areas. You should read a few more books, newspapers and magazines (Penthouse and Mad Magazine don't count).

4.  I never used the word "hate" anywhere in this thread whether in reference to ESPN or the national media.  Your response to my comment appears to be an intentional, fraudulent, misrepresentation of what I said.

5.  Just for a small sampling of the "National media" bias toward Arkansans and southerners in general, you can read Kathleen Parker's article below.

http://www.newsmax.com/Parker/Southern-Stereotypes-media-polls/2012/03/15/id/432647/

HawgAdvocate

June 15, 2014, 01:30:00 pm #85 Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:48:29 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 15, 2014, 09:00:52 am
There's nothing to argue about.

None of those complaints have any bearing with what this thread is about.

Of course, I must say your rants are a bit more logical now that you've included the word 'some' as a qualifier. Sure, all are possible. Still not sure what any of it has to do with the thread.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 15, 2014, 01:30:00 pm
Of course, I must say your rants are a bit more logicical now that you've included the word 'some' as a qualifier. Sure, all are possible. Still not sure what any of it has to do with the thread.

If you thought that was a rant, just give me a few more days. I am nearly done with my manifesto.  ;)

Agree or disagree, I ain't mad at cha. At the end of the day, we both root for the same team. It's hard to hate a fellow Razorback fan. Happy Father's Day to you sir.

HawgAdvocate

pigroots

Izzo or Coach K #1...any doubt about that?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pigroots on June 17, 2014, 01:59:49 pm
Izzo or Coach K #1...any doubt about that?

Based on recent results and moving forward? Yeah, I doubt either will be #1. Izzo should be top three, but his 2014-15 team isn't projected to be as strong as his teams have been in previous years.

Calipari should be #1 or #2. Pitino, Self, and even Billy D should/could end up ahead of Coach K, IMO. 

Hawg Red

I think HA has the right idea.

HiggiePiggy

Looking at all of their resumes in the last 5 years I would have to put cal probably 3rd coach K 2nd and petino 1st

Hawg Red

Billy D will be in the top 3. Three Elite 8s and a Final Four the last 4 years. Guaranteed.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 17, 2014, 06:25:21 pm
Billy D will be in the top 3. Three Elite 8s and a Final Four the last 4 years. Guaranteed.

If you go last 5 years though calipari, petino, and k all have championships.  No idea how far back they are going for this list. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 17, 2014, 08:40:58 pm
If you go last 5 years though calipari, petino, and k all have championships.  No idea how far back they are going for this list. 

Based on the write-ups for the previously ranked coaches, it appears to be the past three seasons and the projected near future.

Hawg Red

Coach K has lost to 13 and 15 seeds in the last 3 years. Sorry, Billy D's clearly ahead of him.

bruisemeister

They have made it to #11. No Mike yet. I doubt he will be there considering Jim Boeheim was #13.
Here is the rundown after Fred Hoiberg(The Mayor) at #15
#14 Tony Bennett, Virginia
#13 Shaka Smart
#12 Boeheim
#11 Sean Miller
The next 10 will probably be:
#10 Beilein at Michigan
#9 Bo Rein, Wisconsin
#8 Kevin Ollie, UConn
#7 Greg Marshall, Wichita State
The final 6 will be these guys. The only question is the order. I guess the local interest in this post is over since its obvious now our guy is getting know respect:

Billy Donovan, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino, John Calipari and Coach K.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 22, 2014, 05:46:49 am
They have made it to #11. No Mike yet. I doubt he will be there considering Jim Boeheim was #13.
Here is the rundown after Fred Hoiberg(The Mayor) at #15
#14 Tony Bennett, Virginia
#13 Shaka Smart
#12 Boeheim
#11 Sean Miller
The next 10 will probably be:
#10 Beilein at Michigan
#9 Bo Rein, Wisconsin
#8 Kevin Ollie, UConn
#7 Greg Marshall, Wichita State
The final 6 will be these guys. The only question is the order. I guess the local interest in this post is over since its obvious now our guy is getting know respect:

Billy Donovan, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino, John Calipari and Coach K.

I would was obvious when they released the honorable mentions and coaches 26-50. 26-75 was his range. There's no way he was ever going to be top 25. He's not a top 25 coach.

Etowah

Based on that list..Mike should be number 7.

He has taken 3 programs that were dumpster fires and completely turned them around.

I will be completely astonished if this team is not a Sweet 16 team...at worst.  I think the potential is there to make a run at the final four.  His system is much more effective come tourney time...this year we are a lock to make the tournament.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 22, 2014, 10:57:13 am
I would was obvious when they released the honorable mentions and coaches 26-50. 26-75 was his range. There's no way he was ever going to be top 25. He's not a top 25 coach.

By their criteria. We go to the Sweet 16 next year and he will be, also by their criteria.