Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB walking on at Arkansas

Started by The Recruiting Guy, May 28, 2014, 12:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PygmalionEffect

That one is a head scratcher.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ricepig

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 12:49:05 pm
That one is a head scratcher.

Why? We need a scout team QB, don't we? What's it cost us?

colbs

PygmalionEffect

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ricepig

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 12:58:06 pm
PREFERRED walk on

It means he starts in August, not when school starts. How many preferred walk-ons do we have presently?

PygmalionEffect

I thought preferred walk on meant that there's some pre-set conditions that are agreed to that might/could enable the recruit to earn a scholarship, not guaranteed, but a possibility?

ricepig

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 01:02:32 pm
I thought preferred walk on meant that there's some pre-set conditions that are agreed to that might/could enable the recruit to earn a scholarship, not guaranteed, but a possibility?

There are X amount of preferred spots, they get to workout this summer, know they have a locker, and start in August. There aren't any strings attached, they might be more likely to get a spot, but we had kids that were preferred walk-ons last year that have already quit.

SDZ_Hog

PygmalionEffect

http://footballscoop.com/news/12456-what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-preferred-walk-on

I kinda had an idea of what it was but this explains it.

It guarantees a spot on the 105, but not necessarily the travel team.

Many preferred walk ons earn a scholarship in the 2nd year it says.

yeah, I don't think it's going to push Story to bama or anything

SEC_Si

SEC_Si

ricepig

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 01:10:19 pm

Lol, you worry worried about that?

PorkRinds

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 01:10:19 pm

There's at least a decent chance that with his size and speed, he could be looked at for something other than QB. 

PorkSoda

"The question is at what position will the Hogs use him with needs at the WR position and what seems to be a sowed up quarterback depth chart with Brandon Allen leading the way"

what is the point in asking a question like this about a walk on?  if we are down to converting walk on qbs to fill our starting WR roles, we got problems.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

1highhog

Well, I'll say this, he doesn't flinch when his O-Line gives way and the whole Defense comes rushing at him, there were times when he was going to take major hits but he delivered the ball to his intended receiver downfield.  I actually liked one of his receivers, looked fast and was able to catch the ball in double coverage.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 28, 2014, 01:24:17 pm
"The question is at what position will the Hogs use him with needs at the WR position and what seems to be a sowed up quarterback depth chart with Brandon Allen leading the way"

what is the point in asking a question like this about a walk on?  if we are down to converting walk on qbs to fill our starting WR roles, we got problems.

There's no telling what they are projecting him as.  With his size he could play WR.  He wouldn't be the first QB to switch over. 

bennyl08

Maybe he could be integral to our scout team and ability to practice vs scrambling qb's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 28, 2014, 01:30:55 pm
Maybe he could be integral to our scout team and ability to practice vs scrambling qb's.

This too. 

Deep Shoat

Release is slow, and kind of long.  But pretty good looking kid.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hoggusamoungus

Sowed up?  Dude needs a proof reader.

cosmodrum

Quote from: 1highhog on May 28, 2014, 01:25:26 pm
Well, I'll say this, he doesn't flinch when his O-Line gives way and the whole Defense comes rushing at him, there were times when he was going to take major hits but he delivered the ball to his intended receiver downfield.  I actually liked one of his receivers, looked fast and was able to catch the ball in double coverage.

Jo Shelby looks GREAT for, uh, his age.
Go away, batin'

sickboy

Where did it say we needed him to start at receiver? Obviously, we could use depth at WR... And maybe that's a better opportunity for him to get on the field... Seeing as you only play one QB at a time vs multiple receivers... Just seems like a basic logic assumption by the writer.

Josh Goforth

Ha Ark offense looks more like this most of the time. 1 QB, 1 rb,  3 te, 1 wr.

ifghog

Quote from: 1highhog on May 28, 2014, 01:25:26 pm
Quote from: cosmodrum on May 28, 2014, 01:34:49 pm
This! Who is that! LOL.

ifghog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 28, 2014, 01:22:18 pm
There's at least a decent chance that with his size and speed, he could be looked at for something other than QB. 
Bingo!

PorkSoda

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on May 28, 2014, 01:37:56 pm
Where did it say we needed him to start at receiver? Obviously, we could use depth at WR... And maybe that's a better opportunity for him to get on the field... Seeing as you only play one QB at a time vs multiple receivers... Just seems like a basic logic assumption by the writer.
I don't think its a logical assumption to think he would compete for the starting QB job, so using that as a reason to move him to WR seems silly.  as others said, the logical thing to do would be use him to provide depth at the QB position and run the scout team, contribute in team meetings etc.

my point was that he would be just as buried at WR as QB, so why change.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 28, 2014, 01:33:29 pm
Sowed up?  Dude needs a proof reader.
proof reading went out with the typerider.

pillowhog

I think this is the kid I saw high jump 6ft7.  If it is he is deceptively athletic.  (Translation he's a skinny white boy that can freakin jump)

PorkRinds

Quote from: pillowhog on May 28, 2014, 02:29:43 pm
I think this is the kid I saw high jump 6ft7.  If it is he is deceptively athletic.  (Translation he's a skinny white boy that can freakin jump)

If that's the case, WR may not be that much of a stretch. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 28, 2014, 01:57:17 pm
proof reading went out with the typerider.

otto crect helps me on my ifone
Go away, batin'

regi

This would not make news at Bama, AU, LSU, UGA, UF, etc...but for some reason at Arkansas we like to give every kid their day in the sun.

ricepig

Quote from: regi on May 28, 2014, 04:33:58 pm
This would not make news at Bama, AU, LSU, UGA, UF, etc...but for some reason at Arkansas we like to give every kid their day in the sun.

So, you don't think walk-ons get a thread at the school's listed above?

tophawg19

kid might be the steal of the year . moves well , throws well on the run and has good accuracy , You never know how a kid like this pans out . he is a winner
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PorkSoda

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 28, 2014, 07:04:31 pm
kid might be the steal of the year . moves well , throws well on the run and has good accuracy , You never know how a kid like this pans out . he is a winner
no doubt, my only point would be that he should get a shot at his chosen position before we start talking about moving him to another position.  even if he never plays a down, having a good scout team contributes to the team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 28, 2014, 07:21:52 pm
no doubt, my only point would be that he should get a shot at his chosen position before we start talking about moving him to another position.  even if he never plays a down, having a good scout team contributes to the team.
C'mon now soda. It wouldn't be Hogville if we didn't project him at every position but those he plays.  ;D

1highhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 28, 2014, 01:34:49 pm

You can just call me Josie,,,

DeltaBoy

He a good looking kid and should get a shot at QB in a year or two!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

I heard RD on the radio this morning say that he thought this guy would be given a chance to compete, but he saw him as a "scout team" kind of player.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 29, 2014, 08:58:40 am
I heard RD on the radio this morning say that he thought this guy would be given a chance to compete, but he saw him as a "scout team" kind of player.
Was reading he has high jumped close to 7 feet.  He may make the transition to WR.
All Gas, No Brakes!

daprospecta

Preferred walk-on means you are on the team. You have a jersey #, you eat after practice with the team, you travel(if your position coach allows it),  etc.  You are basically a schollie player without a schollie.  Most prefrerred walk-on s don't remain a walk on for the duration of their time on campus.

Source-Was a walk-on in 2003, preferred 2004, partial schollie 2005 on the hill.

PorkRinds

Quote from: daprospecta on May 29, 2014, 02:15:31 pm
Preferred walk-on means you are on the team. You have a jersey #, you eat after practice with the team, you travel(if your position coach allows it),  etc.  You are basically a schollie player without a schollie.  Most prefrerred walk-on s don't remain a walk on for the duration of their time on campus.

Source-Was a walk-on in 2003, preferred 2004, partial schollie 2005 on the hill.

RD also mentioned this morning that the major difference is that a PWO will be allowed to come and work out with the team through summer, and the rest of the WO's will be reporting in August.

regi

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2014, 04:36:07 pm
So, you don't think walk-ons get a thread at the school's listed above?

Nope, none

Pork Twain

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 28, 2014, 01:02:32 pm

I think that is the idea with EVERY walk-on.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

pillowhog

Watched his video.  Needs a lot of mechanical work.  Hopefully he's a late bloomer with some upside or something.

snoot hoggy hog

hawgwash

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 28, 2014, 08:41:26 pm
C'mon now soda. It wouldn't be Hogville if we didn't project him at every position but those he plays.  ;D
This news is 48 hours old and no one has mentioned linebacker yet?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgwash on May 30, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
This news is 48 hours old and no one has mentioned linebacker yet?

I think the almost 7 foot high jump made everyone instantly go to WR.

bell2629

I think y'all are all missing the grand offensive evolution that's happening in NWA. We're slowly filling the offensive roster up with hybrid QB players on purpose. Derby, Duwop, this kid, hell even that new O lineman transferring in used to play QB. The reason why, you ask?

Obvious- Cheney plans to have on the field at any one time at least three players capable of throwing the ball. We're going to be the first power run/flea flicker focused offense. BA, Derby at tight end, Duwop out wide, maybe this kid split out to the other side. Defenses will never know if the first pass is the last one! I can't wait for the play action flea flicker RB wheel route.
Praise the Lard!

jgphillips3

Can he play linebacker?

Sorry, just wouldn't be a recruiting forum post without it...