Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, May 27, 2014, 07:39:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 01:34:14 pm
I have taken very little of the updated news in this thread as positive...
Why?  Are you really that worried about all of our recruits?

Hentges sounds solid to coming to campus.  Of course the draft is going to be a big deal, but it sounds like he wants to come to college as well.

dotnet

I get really pessimistic.  Give me two days and let me see how many top ten guys there are.  Then I'll calm down (or be a jumping risk)

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 02:12:14 pm
I get really pessimistic.  Give me two days and let me see how many top ten guys there are.  Then I'll calm down (or be a jumping risk)
Yeah, we should have a much better feel on this class come Friday night.  I think it is safe to assume anyone left on the board after Friday can be counted on campus.

dotnet

From the presser - DVH is really high on Nathan Rodriguez... he said he has been on him for two years.  Apparently he told DVH he was definitely coming to college. 

I think he was talking about McKinney, Patten, and Hentges when he said he really needed to get at least one of them to campus. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 03:06:34 pm
From the presser - DVH is really high on Nathan Rodriguez... he said he has been on him for two years.  Apparently he told DVH he was definitely coming to college. 

I think he was talking about McKinney, Patten, and Hentges when he said he really needed to get at least one of them to campus.
From what Patten tweeted earlier, I think he will be on campus.  It sounds like Hentges has to be a top 3 round pick to sign.  McKinney needs a ton of money according to DVH - hopefully that means 2 million plus.

dotnet

I think McKinney is a long shot after listening to DVH.  But he has a chance.  Kind of like DVH said when mentioning Stanek, if he comes and develops that third pitch then he can add a million or more to his ask. 

It, unfortunately, didn't sound like we should hold our breath on Bonfield. 

DVH, overall, sounded very positive about guys he was bringing in.  He made it seem like there would be definite upgrades over Bernal and Wernes in the infield. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 03:16:57 pm
I think McKinney is a long shot after listening to DVH.  But he has a chance.  Kind of like DVH said when mentioning Stanek, if he comes and develops that third pitch then he can add a million or more to his ask. 

It, unfortunately, didn't sound like we should hold our breath on Bonfield. 

DVH, overall, sounded very positive about guys he was bringing in.  He made it seem like there would be definite upgrades over Bernal and Wernes in the infield.
I think those two have always been the long shots in this class.  At least we have a better chance with those two than we have had with our top prospects in past years.

And yep, it sounds like DVH doesn't have Bernal or Wernes in the starting plans next year.  I think he has Wiggins penciled in at 3B and McAfee at SS right now.

dotnet

It appears that way, which is what we expected.  Though DVH is always quick to say that you never know with freshman. They sometimes just take a year.

If the team can only lose those two, then that would be pretty solid stuff.  Hentges and Patten would be nice gets on the mound and contribute right away. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 03:24:38 pm
It appears that way, which is what we expected.  Though DVH is always quick to say that you never know with freshman. They sometimes just take a year.

If the team can only lose those two, then that would be pretty solid stuff.  Hentges and Patten would be nice gets on the mound and contribute right away.
Yep, along with Wiggins and Rodriguez in the field.  It would be nice to know which SS he was talking about.  I sure hope it isn't Grieshaber.

And DVH seems to be much higher on this group of signees than classes in the past.

dotnet

I am a little bit more excited.  You could tell in the PC that between the freshman and juco's... and returners... he is confident that there will be enough guys who can hit to field a complete lineup. 

Anytime DVH is more concerned about the pitching than the offense... I'm happy.  Especially if Stone is going to return. A pitching lineup that includes Killian, Jackson, Stone, Taccolini, Teague, the redshirts/jucos, and 2 of the three big pitchers - along with fant and others -... I trust Jorn to make something out of that.

ucahogfan

Class of 2014 Rankings Movement
Jack Benninghoff - 236 to 241
Luke Bonfield - 58 to 60
Ryan Fant - 304 to 308
Keith Grieshaber - 211 to 185
Keaton McKinney - 41 to 42
Jonah Patten - 148 to 154
Nathan Rodriguez - 254 to 260
Chad Spanberger - 411 to 416
Blake Wiggins - 200 to 206
Sam Hentges - 152 to 158
Mark Hammel - 476 to 481

lancer

Where are you getting this 2014 ranking movement info?

ucahogfan

Quote from: lancer on June 05, 2014, 09:43:45 am
Where are you getting this 2014 ranking movement info?
Perfect Game.  They do the best job of high school recruiting.

lancer

How accurate do you think they are with these numbers?  Thanks

ucahogfan

Quote from: lancer on June 05, 2014, 09:53:10 am
How accurate do you think they are with these numbers?  Thanks
For the most part, they tend to be very accurate with these numbers since they have seen all of our recruits.

Now there have been some misses in the past like Clark Eagan only being a top 1000 recruit, but I think these rankings are pretty accurate.

dotnet

I think they're as accurate as they can be.  There are some players that they have seen multiple times and really know.  Some players, like Eagan, they see less.  Its always more likely that someone is better or worse than you think when you've seen them less.

In other words, someone like AB who played with the Redskins for so long... they're going to have him pegged pretty well. If someone plays three sports and only plays Baseball for a few months a year... things could change. 

Bas3ball13

PG rankings are subject to the athletes participating in their events.  If they don't participate, then they are not even in the rankings.  A kid who commits early is less likely to continue doing as many events as an uncommitted guy.  It is true if the sample size is big enough then they are pretty close.  my 2 cents and I am seeing first hand

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Bas3ball13 on June 05, 2014, 12:42:30 pm
PG rankings are subject to the athletes participating in their events.  If they don't participate, then they are not even in the rankings.  A kid who commits early is less likely to continue doing as many events as an uncommitted guy.  It is true if the sample size is big enough then they are pretty close.  my 2 cents and I am seeing first hand

98% of the guys that we care about are at events with PG scouts.

PG is pretty solid.

ucahogfan

Dan Holm @danmholm     ·   2h   

Keaton McKinney hits a walk off 2-run homer to beat Johnston 2-0 in 8 innings.

00AR

Just curious, but is there a reason Trenton Hill isn't on the 2014 commitment list.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: 00AR on June 06, 2014, 10:51:28 pm
Just curious, but is there a reason Trenton Hill isn't on the 2014 commitment list.
OP has him as Trent Harris

00AR

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 07, 2014, 01:11:15 am
OP has him as Trent Harris
Thank you, i thought thats what it might be but i wanted to make sure

Bas3ball13

Ok baseball hog this draft is proving my point.  Despite your belief, I have done my homework.  PG is still subjective but it is a nice read because at least they do it.  One other group attempts to do it but the best thing they do is their all-star game at Wrigley.  But it is good for us though.  Go Hogs! :razorback:

ucahogfan

Quote from: Bas3ball13 on June 07, 2014, 03:23:18 pm
Ok baseball hog this draft is proving my point.  Despite your belief, I have done my homework.  PG is still subjective but it is a nice read because at least they do it.  One other group attempts to do it but the best thing they do is their all-star game at Wrigley.  But it is good for us though.  Go Hogs! :razorback:
So tough signs falling in the draft proves your point?

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Bas3ball13 on June 07, 2014, 03:23:18 pm

You know their ranking's aren't a mock draft right?  This draft proves nothing you've claimed.

ucahogfan

Keaton McKinney @Kamckinney11     ·   13s   

Excited to spend my next 3 years as a Razorback! Expect big things. #WPS #omahogs

ucahogfan

Kyle Pate @Kyle_Pate     ·   3h   

It's safe to say Arkansas baseball will do work over the next few years.

ucahogfan

The PG National Showcase is less than a week away.  The following commits are participating:

Isaiah Campbell
Drew Tyler

And the following in-state players will also be there:

Gray Fenter - West Memphis (Ole Miss commit)
Andy Pagnozzi - Fayetteville (Ole Miss commit)
Ty Harpeanau - Fort Smith
Cody Davenport - Fayetteville
Daniel Sprinkle - White Hall

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 07, 2014, 05:43:51 pm
Kyle Pate @Kyle_Pate     ·   3h   

It's safe to say Arkansas baseball will do work over the next few years.

It's starting to look that way.   Exciting times at Baum Stadium.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ucahogfan

The PG National Showcase begins today, but the last three days has been the PG Junior National Showcase.  They released their top prospect list and someone Arkansas is recruiting made the list after showing off by far the best off speed pitch at the event - Tyler Benninghoff.  He is the brother of 2014 signee Jack Benninghoff and we have recruited the KC area very well since 2010 or so.  He currently only tops out at 87-88, but at 6-4 and with a legit upper 70s hammer, scouts see him throwing in the mid 90s in the future.  Hope the draw of playing with his brother and our program is enough to get him to sign and then get him to campus.  We have had luck getting brothers to campus (the Baxendales, the Fants, and the Sanburns come to mind), but it seems to me that it has been a while since we had a set of brothers on the team together.  In fact, I don't remember the last time.

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/Showcases/TopProspectList.aspx?event=2279

ucahogfan

Quakes Baseball ‏@QuakesBaseball1  · 21h 
Arkansas signee Chad Spanberger is the new leader in the clubhouse with 3 dingers at the Homerun Derby at thePNC Showcase.

Quakes Baseball ‏@QuakesBaseball1  · 20h 
Arkansas signee Chad Spanberger wins the Homerun Derby in at the PNC Showcase with three bombs way out of Busch Stadium.

Amityvillehogger

I've been told Arkansas and Trent Hill have parted ways.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ucahogfan

Jonah Patten @jonahpatten14     ·   Jun 20   

Officially accepted into the University of Arkansas!!! The wait is over I can finally breathe!!!

DZ

anyone know what the story on Mark Clark is? haven't seen his name mentioned but thought he was signed for next year

Scott7703

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on June 16, 2014, 08:26:54 pm
I've been told Arkansas and Trent Hill have parted ways.

This was bound to happen with some kids but I didn't expect to hear about it this soon. Good luck Trent.

ucahogfan

Quote from: DZ on June 22, 2014, 08:26:02 pm
anyone know what the story on Mark Clark is? haven't seen his name mentioned but thought he was signed for next year
DVH brought him up a little in his postseason PC.  He is a 6-5 C/OF who has some pop in his bat.  He could be the surprise of this class as he didn't participate on the showcase circuit as much as the other commits, but is getting to live out his dream playing at Arkansas.  Really excited to see a Fort Smith kid on the team.

00AR

Speaking of Mark Clark, just tweeted:

@Mark5Clark: Can't believe this actually happened! Don't think your dreams have came true until you are actually living it! 😒

dbbb

Good luck to Markie....its unfortunate.

Some how the adults don't have to be accountable....yes, I mean DVH.

This kid committed/signed and gave up other opportunities ..... then in June, AR tells him not to come.

I am a Hog fan, but this is NOT how you treat people.

This should have a negative affect on recruiting....future recruits need to be aware that this could happen to them

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dbbb on June 23, 2014, 08:44:53 am

This kid committed/signed and gave up other opportunities ..... then in June, AR tells him not to come.

This should have a negative affect on recruiting....future recruits need to be aware that this could happen to them

Somebody's kid couldn't cut it...

hoglady

This happens at every program most every year.
Don't act like Arkansas is the only program that drops a kid in June.
I don't know what the solution is - but DVH makes the best decisions possible for the program as a whole based on the current rules. I truly feel sorry for this kid and hate it for him.
But since a coach doesn't know for certain what recruits are coming until mid June it's bound to happen.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DZ

Quote from: Baseball Hog on June 23, 2014, 09:01:08 am
Somebody's kid couldn't cut it...
kinda hard to say that when he hasnt even taken the practice field for the Hogs yet.. they have a numbers problem.

kennymayne

This is what happens when you have 11.7 scholarships or whatever it is to work with. It happens at every school every year, not just Arkansas. It sucks, but it happens, and I'm sure that most all know that it is a possibility.

Kevin

this is the business, when you have scholarship limits & the pro's can draft hs kids.

you have to over sign.

we only lost one to the draft, when dvh said in last pc, probably lose 4

plus, stone, mcafee & spoon returning. three guys, that when recruiting was going on, dvh thought he would need to replace.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Amityvillehogger

Hate it for Clark but it happens all the time. Sadly.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogHunk

Better that it happened now than after he shows up for school this fall, goes through practice and then is told he needs to move on.

ucahogfan

I found the prospect that Tony Vitello talked about when he met with the media yesterday about the Hogs beating out Ole Miss because of the indoor facility.

The Hogs picked up their 2nd commitment in the class of 2016 in Illinois 3B Jordan McFarland.  McFarland is a big kid at 6-4, 220 and shows power potential at the highest level.  He is from the St. Louis area as he plays his summer ball for the St. Louis Pirates (same organization as 2014 signee Chad Spanberger).

Here is a youtube video of him I found:

The ball just jumps off his bat from BP.  Looks to be an excellent pick up.

Here is his PG profile:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=370250

He is a top 120 player in the class of 2016 right now.  He recently participated at the PG Junior National so we should get that report soon, but look at the scouting report from last August when he participated in another PG showcase.

ucahogfan

2014 Commitments
1.  Jack Benninghoff - 6-0, 185, OF, 241, 10, Kansas (high school in KC, Missouri)
2.  Luke Bonfield - 6-2, 185, OF, 60, 10, New Jersey (senior year in Florida)
3.  Ryan Fant - 6-5, 205, LHP, 308, 9, Texas
4.  Keith Grieshaber - 6-1, 180, SS, 185, 10, Missouri
5.  Corey Herndon - 6-3, 190, RHP, 500, 9, Arkansas (committed to UCA)
6.  Gavin LaValley - 6-3, 230, 1B, 500, N/A, Oklahoma (committed to OU)
7.  Keaton McKinney - 6-5, 220, RHP/1B, 42, 10, Iowa
8.  Josh Ockimey - 6-4, 220, 1B, 188, 9.5, Pennsylvania (committed to Indiana)
9.  Kyle Pate - 6-1, 175, LHP, 500, N/A, Arkansas
10.  Jonah Patten - 6-3, 200, RHP, 154, N/A, Indiana
11.  Nathan Rodriguez - 5-11, 175, C, 260, 9.5, California
12.  Storm Rynard - 6-0, 170, RHP, 208, 9.5, Missouri  (graduated early, going JUCO)
13.  Chad Spanberger - 6-3, 210, C, 411, 9.5, Illinois
14.  Blake Wiggins - 6-2, 195, SS, 206, 9.5, Arkansas
15.  Mark Clark - 6-4, 190, C/OF, Top 1000, N/A, Arkansas
16.  Darien Simms - 5-10, 160, OF, NR, 8, Texas
17.  Trent Hill - 6-4, 230, 1B, NR, N/A, Arkansas (JUCO elsewhere)
18.  Sam Hentges - 6-6, 240, 1B/LHP, 158, 8.5, Minnesota
19.  Mark Hammel - 6-0, 195, RHP, 481, 9, Texas
20.  Blake Jones - 5-9, 165, SS, Top 1000, 8.5, Washington
21.  Max Hogan - 5-11, 190, 3B, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
22.  Matt Campbell - 6-0, 170, SS, NR, 9.5, Virginia (JUCO in Texas)
23.  Cannon Chadwick - 6-0, 200, RHP, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
24.  Rick Nomura - 5-10, 175, INF, NR, N/A, Hawaii (JUCO in Texas)
25.  Tucker Pennell - 6-2, 185, C, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
26.  Cullen Gassaway - 6-3, 210, 1B, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)

2015 Commitments
1.  Ty Harris - 6-1, 160, LHP, 428, 9, Arkansas
2.  Cody Scroggins - 5-10, ?, RHP/INF/OF, NR, N/A, Arkansas
3.  Jacob Adams - 5-11, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Arkansas
4.  Tyler Ivey - 6-4, 200, RHP, 11, 10, Texas (committed to TAMU)
5.  Drew Tyler - 5-11, 180, SS, Top 1000, 8, Arkansas
6.  Anthony Dahl - 6-3, 185, SS, 461, N/A, Texas
7.  Isaiah Campbell - 6-4, 225, RHP, 297, N/A, Kansas
8.  Brendan Stanek - 6-1, 165, RHP, Top 1000, N/A, Kansas
9.  Grant Koch - 6-0, 185, C, 449, 9, Arkansas
10.  Jacob Schlesener - 6-2, 170, LHP, NR, N/A, Missouri
11.  Blaine Knight - 6-2, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
12.  Eric Cole - 5-10, 170, OF, 500, 9, Texas
13.  Weston Rogers - 6-4, 205, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas

2016 Commitments
1.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, 87, N/A, Texas
2.  Jordan McFarland - 6-4, 220, 3B, 117, 9, Illinois

Signed Players

ucahogfan

2014 State Breakdown
Arkansas - 43 (1 SS, 1 RHP, 1 LHP, 1 OF, 1 1B)
Iowa - 1 (1 RHP/1B)
Missouri - 2 1 (1 RHP, 1 SS)
Indiana - 1 (1 RHP)
Kansas - 1 (1 OF)
Illinois - 1 (1 C)
California - 1 (1 C)
Pennsylvania - 1 (1 1B)
Texas - 7 (1 LHP, 1 OF, 2 RHP, 1 3B, 1 C, 1 1B)
Oklahoma - 1 (1 1B)
New Jersey - 1 (1 OF)
Minnesota - 1 (1 1B/LHP)
Virginia - 1 (1 SS)
Washington - 1 (1 SS)
Hawaii - 1 (1 INF)

2015 State Breakdown
Arkansas - 7 (2 LHP, 1 RHP/INF/OF, 2 SS, 1 C, 1 RHP)
Texas - 2 (1 RHP, 1 SS, 1 OF)
Kansas - 2 (2 RHP)
Missouri - 1 (1 LHP)

2016 State Breakdown
Texas - 1 (1 SS)
Illinois - 1 (1 3B)

ucahogfan

From the good early start the Hogs have so far in 2016, I feel like this class could be as special as the 2014 class is.  We are in on some very good prospects and the indoor facility will probably put us over the top for them.

dotnet

Thats an impressive video for a guy who isn't even a junior in high school yet.